Thai test for entry on O-A Visa

An American I know here in Chiang Mai was give a Thai test at DM airport on arrival from Vietnam Monday he has a O-A visa multiply entry. The Immigration office took his passport and placed it on the desk without opening it and started speaking to him in Thai, Bob doesn't understand but very basis Thai and requested the supervisor who continued the same line of questioning but when he showed him some apps on his phone seemed to take care of what ever the issue is. The passenger behind him was also questioned and he told them that is why he has Thai wife, they both received entry stamp.

Can anyone else confirm this from DM Airport I have no reason to doubt the story but more confirmation would be good or maybe just a one off from immigration officer.

I have never heard of such a thing happening ever when entering the country other than with a ED visa.

When he was telling me his experience I was taken aback as well. I think an overzealous officer is taking the new rules for Ed visa and adding his own twist but why did the supervisor continue to ask as well. No reason not to believe Bob on what he said.

Why in the world would an Immigration Officer think that the having an O-A Visa in any way relates to knowing the Thai language

Someone please clarify since the O-A Multiple is a long stay visa for the purpose of retirement in the Kingdom

Only the involved officer(s) could clarify. But that isn't gonna happen.

Some of us have expressed concern that such things as the OP describes would possibly happen... But others professing to wiser, more experienced and 'in the know' - knew better... It will be interesting to see if this issue is real or not... in the coming days.

i have had a cople immigration interviews which have been conducted in thai recently.

struck me as unusual the first time, but no big deal. i think the second guy was just trying it on, but he was very friendly

I think it's normal for an officer to speak Thai to someone that has spoken even a little Thai, no matter the visa they have - it enforces the role playing situation.

If you don't want to be caught off-base, just say "Sorry I don't speak Thai".

My experience in CM is that if you start out the interview speaking Thai (even if it's just the greeting), then the Immigration officer will continue to speak Thai until you switch to English. I think they're playing a form of "chicken" with you. I've done several retirement extension interviews entirely in Thai. With one, the officer was making small talk while he was busy checking and stamping. He asked me how I spent my time in Thailand. Obviously he knew I had a retirement visa. So, I used my best Thai class Thai to say how every day I clean house, buy food in the market, study Thai language and cook -- then I realized I should add "for my husband" because it was beginning to sound like I was taking work away from a Thai maid and working without a work permit.

Edited by NancyL

I'm having a hard time interpreting what "but when he showed him some apps on his phone seemed to take care of what ever the issue is" would mean.

Bob explained to the supervisor he spoke no Thai but was trying and had these apps. on his phone to help him , Bob says that seemed to take some steam out of the whole situation and the supervisor took his passport over to the officer and Bob was stamped in.

There as never an explanation about what was going on or reason to make heads or tails of the entire situation. I guess another Thai moment

"The Immigration office took his passport and placed it on the desk without opening it and started speaking to him in Thai, Bob doesn't understand but very basis Thai and requested the supervisor who continued the same line of questioning"

No indication that the officers knew what kind of visa Bob had.

Perhaps they knew, and assumed that anyone living here could speak Thai.

I know at the office I use, they're sometimes a little amazed at just how stupid I am.

It no longer amazes me.

Never experienced this myself. But this would probably prove an academic point for us Brits in any event if HMPO were eventually to add to their list of ridiculous requirements for renewing our passports at With-It Tower by insisting on us passing some proficiency test in the Thai language aimed at enabling us to complete a special version of their form in our very neatest Thai manuscript and facilitating our conversations with their local repssad.png

Edited by OJAS