I have an important question -- any help is appreciated

My wife is Laos, living legally in Thailand. Well, until yesterday. Her passport was stolen in Bang Po, along with her purse, 12,000 some oddbaht, and her motorcycle keys. That last part was a 2 AM fiasco. She can go to the Laos embassy and get a new passport, but what the hell is going to happen afterwards? Will they whack her for an overstay and banishment? How can we file a police report, will they deport her?

After she visits the Laos embassy, she will have a passport with no visa when she hits the border to go to the Thai embassy in Laos and file for another dependent visa -- that part I already know about -- (we have a child together). Relying on Thai and Laos computer records is like hoping for hot chocolate during an Ice Age.

I am completely lost here. Please punters, piss off. This is my life. If you feel a need to chide, please hit another thread.

Look you're taking if the wrong way, Thai immigration has all the records and i don't doubt Laos has too.

If she was legal in country of course she must to file a police report, no deportation just answer any question honestly. Then apply for a new passport or emergency travel document at the Laos embassy or consulate, no problems beside cost and inconvenience.

report it to police ASAP

she will get paper

ask for temporary passport which is for one year and takes 2h to issue (emergency passport)

then i guess got to leave with police report, showing it at border

i would visit local immigration as well

ah and getting new passport sometimes its difficult, for example my consulate asks for birth certificat

good luck

My girlfriend is from Laos too (legally in Thailand). I would imagine that as long as you have a police report, you should be fine. Stolen passports of any nationality are not unusual. Hopefully the Laos Embassy can give her emergency travel documents or passport and then Thai Immigration can redo her extension or visa. It shouldn't be any different from anyone losing their passport and getting their visa/stamps put into the new passport.

Good luck!

1. she files for a police report and makes a few copies of that.

2. she goes to her embassy with the police report and applies for a new passport.

3. with the new passport, embassy letter asking for transfer of stamps and police report she visits immigration

4. immigration puts all her entry details in the new passport, including her current permission to stay.

If in the meantime her permission to stay expired, she will be on overstay. If not, she is legally in the country and can stay.

My girlfriend is from Laos too (legally in Thailand). I would imagine that as long as you have a police report, you should be fine. Stolen passports of any nationality are not unusual. Hopefully the Laos Embassy can give her emergency travel documents or passport and then Thai Immigration can redo her extension or visa. It shouldn't be any different from anyone losing their passport and getting their visa/stamps put into the new passport.

Good luck!

Any valid visa in a lost or stolen passport is lost with the passport itself. Only the permission to stay is transferred. A valid visa would have to be applied for again at an embassy.

I lost my passport in 2009 in BKK.I went to the police first and reported it stolen,and after i went to my embassy applying a new passport..I was lucky to have a copy of my lost passport,so they wrote a letter to the immigration asking kindly to help me.

When i arrived immigration in BKK they was wery helpful,and after about 30 minutes they had found my entry to BKK and i get a new arrivelcard and new stamps in my passport.No problem at all.

Wish u good luck in ur progress,but im sure it will be ok for her.