US Ambassador Kenney gets dousing before ban

Lite Beer

ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE
Kenney gets dousing before ban
The Nation,

30241591-01_big.jpg?1408747636953

US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney is drenched with freezing water

BANGKOK: -- Envoy enjoys frigid shower just before US bans diplomats from taking Ice Bucket Challenge

The US State Department was a day too late when it issued a note prohibiting American diplomats from taking part in the Ice Bucket Challenge charity campaign, as US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney had already taken the plunge.

"Can't choose just one. Join me in supporting charities of your choice. Volunteer, make a difference," she said in a Tweet message in which she posted a photo of her being saturated with freezing water on Wednesday.

The Ice Bucket Challenge is a charity stunt that has got everyone from billionaires to pop stars - and even former US presidents - drenched by buckets of ice water.

But don't expect more American diplomats to get involved in the fast-growing campaign, first launched in support of Lou Gehrig's disease research, any time soon.

The US State Department has issued an internal telegram forbidding its ambassadors and other high-profile foreign service officers from participating in the forfeit, in which people either pledge US$100 (Bt3,200) to ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) - more commonly known in the US as Lou Gehrig's disease - research or record themselves getting soaked by frigid water, then post it online and challenge others to do the same.

"It's not just about ambassadors. Federal government ethics rules prevent us from using our public offices, such as high public offices such as ambassadors, for private gain, no matter how worthy the cause is," State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said on Thursday.

"For that reason, high-ranking State Department officials are unfortunately unable to participate in the Ice Bucket Challenge," she added.

President Barack Obama has declined a dare from Ethel Kennedy, the 86-year-old widow of late senator Robert F Kennedy. Obama promised to make a gift instead.

Pop star Justin Bieber, former US president George W Bush and Microsoft founder Bill Gates are just some of the celebrities and notables who have drenched themselves in icy water in support of the cause.

Having gone viral on social media, the popularity of the challenge has spread around the globe, particularly to Australia, the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany and New Zealand.

In Thailand, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva accepted the Ice Bucket Challenge from Krungsri Consumer.

The former prime minister poured iced water onto himself at the Thai Red Cross Society at 2pm yesterday, and Krungsri Consumer will in turn donate Bt500,000 to the society.

Abhisit said he would challenge three former Democrat MPs after completing the challenge. He has chosen Thepthai Senpong, Sirichoke Sopha and Chavanond Intarakomalyasut.

Meanwhile, four US firefighters were injured, two seriously, on Thursday as they were helping run an Ice Bucket Challenge at a Kentucky university.

"We express our heartfelt sympathy and prayers for the families of the firefighters who were injured," Campbellsville University president Michael Carter said in a statement.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Kenney-gets-dousing-before-ban-30241591.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-23

• Like 2

"The former prime minister poured iced water onto himself at the Thai Red Cross Society at 2pm yesterday, and Krungsri Consumer will in turn donate Bt500,000 to the society"

So if you accept the challenge the person who nominated you makes a contribution to the charity?

• Like 1

And also known in the UK as Motor Neurone Disease ... The late great actor David Niven died of it.

Good on the Ambassador to join in the fun and fund-raising - two fingers to Washington! whistling.gif

Why "good on the ambassador", didn't she opt out of the fund-raising by getting soaked? The challenge is donate or get wet, isn't it? Having fun is not the idea.

As regards "two fingers to Washington" she was doing just what Washington instructed, no fund-raising for private causes, no matter how worthy, in government offices. i.e. she was kissing Washington's ar se.

Edited by Zeegator
  • Like 1

And also known in the UK as Motor Neurone Disease ... The late great actor David Niven died of it.

Good on the Ambassador to join in the fun and fund-raising - two fingers to Washington! whistling.gif

Why "good on the ambassador", didn't she opt out of the fund-raising by getting soaked? The challenge is donate or get wet, isn't it? Having fun is not the idea.

Going on the Abhisit portion of the OP, I think if you accept the challenge, whoever nominated you makes a contribution. Edited by Bluespunk

Unfortunately this seems to have been taken over by some as a publicity stunt / photo op and the original good intent could be lost.

there may be some publicity photo op's but, it is still a good cause, good fun and has raised good money for charity.

• Like 2

Wouldn't a foreigner in Thailand need a work permit to take the ice bucket challenge? Participating in the ice bucket challenge promotes a charity even if voluntarily and without compensation.

Good point, perhaps you could take it up with Immigration and get back to us?

• Like 1

Wouldn't a foreigner in Thailand need a work permit to take the ice bucket challenge? Participating in the ice bucket challenge promotes a charity even if voluntarily and without compensation.

Good point, perhaps you could take it up with Immigration and get back to us?

They may pour cold water on that idea.

• Like 1

She should spend her time improving service .

Improving Service??? What would you like improved? Being a Yank myself, I find the US Embassy to be very helpful, service is quick. What more do you want, or are you even an American?coffee1.gif

The service that is lacking is the same in all American Embassies, the service to non Americans wanting to go to the USA. There is a quota given to every Embassy. This is why there are hundreds of thousands streaming across the southern boarders. Immigration reform will not help. How many people through the world are living in poverty, non to these people can qualify for a visa. If you want a visa you must own land and have a large bank account and be able to go through the rigorous background check. The ISIS, Mexican drug cartels do not do the embassy process, they just walk across the boarder, thanks to the guideline provided by the government. cowboy.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

They could start by making it easy to enter , I feel like I am going into a maximum security prison , then the staff hide behind screens like prison guards . They could let a citizen (maybe retired ) do the notaries and charge $10.00 or less instead of the $50.00 each rip offjerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif . They act like they are doing me a big favor when I need a notary . If they are afraid of me , let them get another job , she spends more time at cocktail parties than working . Don't let me get started on the visa rip off for Thais . and others that want a visa to the states .

I always say they should get a private company to run the place and it would be run better . That citizen service area is smaller than my walk in closet . I bet you are one of the over paid staff that think I work for them . tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

Unfortunately this seems to have been taken over by some as a publicity stunt / photo op and the original good intent could be lost.

The original good intent can only be lost if people don't pay the money.

As for the Ambassador she should have been dunked in a pool of it and kept there for a while for her stupid talk with the government about keeping Americans safe. If she is worried about their safety she should go back to the states where there is far more places unsafe than Thailand.

• Like 1

Good thing they banned it before John Kerry had to get dowsed. He is ugly enough imagine how bad he would look with that hair dowsed.

He looks like a car saleman I would not trust !!

Turn off Fox News. Ye gods, the lemmings are obsessed.

Lemmings and wing nuts abound. Thankfully I don't get Fox (Faux) News on my True Visions satellite package; I'd pay them not to have it.

• Like 1

She should spend her time improving service .

Improving Service??? What would you like improved? Being a Yank myself, I find the US Embassy to be very helpful, service is quick. What more do you want, or are you even an American?coffee1.gif

The service that is lacking is the same in all American Embassies, the service to non Americans wanting to go to the USA. There is a quota given to every Embassy. This is why there are hundreds of thousands streaming across the southern boarders. Immigration reform will not help. How many people through the world are living in poverty, non to these people can qualify for a visa. If you want a visa you must own land and have a large bank account and be able to go through the rigorous background check. The ISIS, Mexican drug cartels do not do the embassy process, they just walk across the boarder, thanks to the guideline provided by the government. cowboy.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Those non Americans can not get into the States because of it's Paranoia. Got nothing to do with the Embassies. The American Embassy is set up to serve American citizens.

Yes one of the ways they do it is with paranoid restrictions on visitors.wai.gif Canada is worse.wai.gif Has nothing to do with quotas.

Edited by northernjohn

"It's not just about ambassadors. Federal government ethics rules prevent us from using our public offices, such as high public offices such as ambassadors, for private gain, no matter how worthy the cause is," State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said on Thursday.

Apart from praise for helping a good cause what private gain is there? If Federal government ethics prevent it then the ban was already in place so the ambassador should be reprimanded for breaking existing rules.

Unless of course some idiot decided on a ban and then realised how stupid it was and is now trying to use non relevant rules to back themselves up.

Well done to anyone, from any country, whatever their job and whatever there politics. that does something to help.