Internet / Web TV boxes, what are impressions?

pianoman

I have considered getting and using one of the IPTV boxes in an attempt to dislodge myself from True's costly monthly addiction... I would like to hear from others whom have purchased and using such and know what their experiences are, both the Good and the Bad....

Thank you in advance...

Pianoman

I went off True several years ago. But the wife's mom is living with us know and wanted her "soaps". We had another dish that was free, but it ended last week. So...got the Knowledge package from True. I think it's 590B per month and many stations are in HD. Beautiful picture. Even has a few stations that are in English.

Where I live, I could never stream shows over the internet. I have the 10GB package, but it's not a reliable feed. Some days are good, others are not. And for sure the feeds wouldn't be in HD.

What type of internet package do you have now???

No idea if IPTV boxes are any idea good....... Is the Android box better as looks like these IPTV use this type of box.?

I just use my PC, live out in the sticks where TRUE was the only option for past 11 year, last couple of months notice 3BB have arrived in this area but don't think there any better, so say next year TOT will also be in my area so will have options.... Do find often is better to use a VPN from UK, Europe or USA..

I have HDMi connections so yes TV is connected to PC and do get HD picture, will be watching F.1 Race later, normally watch via UK and Sky Sports HD LIVE. no idea but to me there are options if Sky Sport is not good there are some 18 - 24 other feeds LIVE, so I pick the best. [Friend has a CTH dish and the HD pictures are good but not that much better + if it rains there is No Signal !]

Somehow yesterday Internet was bad, but tried BBC [uK Motorway Police] and only 2 x buffeting in 1 hour program so not bad.. also have TRUE 10 MB package internet... have never use True Visions/UBC just do not see the point when you can watch more or less anything anywhere in the world FREE.

Maybe would get Android box IPTV but just have no idea if they are that much better ? also looks like you can load many other TV website into these boxes..

I have Thai Expat TV with the tv top box, it also runs on my computer, I rate it as excellent and very reasonably priced, before I had Tru which was much more expensive, and did not have all the british channels, I also tried TOT IP tv, which was also much more expensive also without all the UK channels, you can get a free trial of Thai Expat TV

• Like 1

I have been using an IPTV box for about one year. I love it as it gives me a huge range of channels - most importantly for me cricket and rugby - as well as various on demand features such as tv series.

Picture quality is excellent but the viewing experience is of course linked to the speed and stability of your internet connection internationally as the servers are based overseas. Screen freezes do occur although they are less frequent now I have a fibre optic connection and 24mbps internet speed. I have CTH as backup

I suggest you download xbmc on your computer and give it a try first (follow one the many instruction videos on the internet to setup). You'll understand exactly what you'll get with the TV box and test if your internet connection is any good for streaming videos.

Excellent advice. You can install xbmc on an android box ( cost 2-4000 bah at pantip) and it will provide the riichest tv viewing experience you can imagine and it's free. The free Live sports add ons can be a bit challenging if your internet connection isn't that great but if you subscribe to ilikehd for 500 baht a month you have everything.

I have been using an IPTV box for about one year. I love it as it gives me a huge range of channels - most importantly for me cricket and rugby - as well as various on demand features such as tv series.

Picture quality is excellent but the viewing experience is of course linked to the speed and stability of your internet connection internationally as the servers are based overseas. Screen freezes do occur although they are less frequent now I have a fibre optic connection and 24mbps internet speed. I have CTH as backup

Wow...that's fast!

I use a proxy service called 'Identity Cloaker', this allows me to connect to on demand TV such as BBC I-Player etc, in Europe, The Americas & Australia. It also allows me to access services such as Netflix.

I have found it to be very reliable & their technical support have responded promptly to any issues I have had, which turned out to be ISP related, The cost is about 10 Euros a month.

We purchased a JSAT box in Bangkok a few months ago after suffering through god awful regular TV reception for the first few months we were here. I know I can't put their link here but you can easily find it if you search online. The nice thing about the system is that 1) it is totally set up and 2) they will walk you through the system when you buy it and 3) you can use it for lots of other stuff such as games, etc. It has absolutely everything included that you will ever want to watch on a television for the rest of your life and if you move anywhere else, you can just take it with you! We love it! It does freeze up occasionally because it totally depends on the quality and speed of your internet. They also do regular updates so it will go offline for a few minutes when that is happening. We have a 20mbps fibre optic connection here in Chiangmai. Supposedly it will work with anything above 5mbps.

I too find that my streaming video access to content in the UK or US is much better when I use a VPN service vs. a straight connection on my True Cable 15 Mbps internet plan.

And lately, several of the VPN providers I use have begun offering so-called virtual VPNs, meaning that the actual server is relatively local (often in Singapore or Taiwan), but the IP address being provided is for either the U.S. or UK, depending on your choice.

The virtual VPNs have become my favorite way of connecting to U.S. or UK content. And I regularly seem to get pretty speedy connections to the virtual VPN servers in Singapore and/or Taiwan. Astrill and HMA are two such services that have worked well for me. Mid-content buffering is pretty much a thing of the past for me now. Almost never happens.

Unless you have a terrible Internet connection, live strems services like 365sporttv or ilikehd, which have servers in Thailand, are going to work very, very well. And the same apply for the free MX repository for XBMC, developed by a TV member, where you can watch many UK and Thai stations for free and with an outstanding quality. Info here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725898-watch-global-tv-android-box/

My experience with any live streaming using a paid VPN, OverPlay or from servers outside of Thailand have been terribly poor. Even channels that do not come directly from here, like Skysports on ilikehd do buffer a lot. I have a ADSL from TOT at 10 MB, so mine is not the best option, but the only one available where I live.

Anyway, like many people already said, you can test any service you like with your PC and then if you are satisfied you can buy and Android Box.

Good Luck!

300 channels including all HBO, Star MOvies, Fox News, CNN, Al Jazerra Discovery channel, History and all the sports channels and just 2500 baht a year works perfectly and you get so much more for so much less than true worldwidesatellitetv.net

Could not be happier

We are happy with our box reliability at peak times as sometimes between 6pm-9pm speeds can drop in our area and also weekends when half of Bangkok are down here. It has a buffer setting that we left on maximum and apart the odder stutter have been fine, we use CAT.

We insisted on a free trial of the ip box that let us check did try our neighbors xbmx box when he was back in UK and kept getting error message so just put it back as I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

We used iplayer for years without any issues but after seeing one of these ip boxes on our local facebook sales group decided to have a look, so glad that we did. If you just want something that acts just like a satellite receiver the mag box is really easy to use.

Private Message me if you want our suppliers contact info, they are spot on.

I have the exact same comments as gc777 in post 9 except I use the cloaking service provided by Unblock-Us.

The reason I recommend Unblock-Us is, apart from being very reliable and an excellent support team, it only costs $5 Canadian/month (aprox £2.75 or 3,5 Euro at today's exchange rates)

cheers

Edited by oTwoPies

Like a couple of other posters I too using a "cloaking" service, in my case UnoTelly which costs about the same as Unblock Us and has servers throughout the world - I think Singapore and Hong Kong are the nearest. As for streaming I have a Roku box, set for the US (you can get a UK version). However it very much depends on the speed and quality of your Internet connection.

"I have considered getting and using one of the IPTV boxes in an attempt to dislodge myself from True's costly monthly addiction...Pianoman"

What is it that you get from True that you can not get "Free" from the internet--??

Sorry Pianoman I am not trying to hijack the thread--but I know nothing much about the boxes, I woke up this morning to sit & watch my Football (UK) team play then watched Match of the day to catch up with them all, latter today I may watch a Thriller that I am following from the BBC , or I have got quite interested in watching Poker from America (when you are sitting there knowing all the cards its quite interesting) I got around to watching the Movie Noah last night, although I have a pile of movies to get through. Yesterday I was watching channel 4 documentary's --My mail order Bride (shot in BKK & Kiev ) & The worst place to be a pilot.

I consider myself to be a computer blond & have several times had to run to ThaiVisa comp page to ask about something...but even for someone like me, its all there to watch 15 minutes after its been screened on TV , or a few days after cinema release.

Maybe I am missing something here with not paying for a box, but just what.............coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

I'm digging my new Chromecast. It's a $45 (from Lazada) dongle that you plug into the HDMI port and you can stream video on your wifi network to the TV. I download torrents of my favorite shows from PirateBay. I have no need for Cable.

The TG streams live TV to her iPad. Doesn't watch cable either. She told me to cancel it ($10).

I have Thai Expat TV with the tv top box, it also runs on my computer, I rate it as excellent and very reasonably priced, before I had Tru which was much more expensive, and did not have all the british channels, I also tried TOT IP tv, which was also much more expensive also without all the UK channels, you can get a furee trial of Thai Expat TV

Do you get F1 & premiership with expat TV?

jb1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

300 channels including all HBO, Star MOvies, Fox News, CNN, Al Jazerra Discovery channel, History and all the sports channels and just 2500 baht a year works perfectly and you get so much more for so much less than true worldwidesatellitetv.net

Could not be happier

hello i am very new on this tv think,for now i have tv cable true get cable,i really like your set up can you give my more detail i like to get that if i can but like i said i am very new so i hope is not to hard to install,i also have internet from 3bb,thank you, john

Have TOT internet through the telephone connection.

7-10 MB

I pay 590 baht a month.

What do I get for that?

- Internet

- free preprogrammed android box;

- IP-TV from TOT;

- Telephone.

Very clear picture on TV with very few hickups

Reasonably fast internet

I also have the VOOZ android box from NTV, Dutch public and commercial channels.

Also hooked up to the same TOT internet connection

Both work fine....together

I have an internet TV box from Watchglobal.tv and could not be happier with it. It gets all the UK channels including BBC, ITV and also Sky Channels like Sky Sports 1-5, SKY 1 & 2 and also BT Sport. The box also gets all of the American stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, Fox Sports. It even carries all the Canadian Channels like CBC, TSN and Sportsnet. Every single sporting event from around the world can be seen on this box including all football matches and cricket and American sports.

I no longer need cable TV or satellite TV because of the box from Watchglobal.tv.

I have owned the box for almost a year and it has worked flawlessly the whole time. I hope this information is useful.

I can definitely recommend IPTV from TOT. Got it setup last month, and for 200b (yes, just 200b!!) we got about 16 HD channels, all in English: NAT GEO WILD, NAT GEO PEOPL, FOX, FOX CRIME, SyFy, BIO, CI, Universal and a couple of more. Perfect quality, no issues what so ever.

IPTV is the only way an expat can get the channels of his choice. The problem is the cowboys taint the service with a device which promises a Ferrari for the price of a Ford. Yes Android XBMC solutions do offer an option for techies, but if you want a solid a remote controlled service with a channel list and method for renters to let their out premises to clients who don´t have a PhD in TV skills.

If you don´t speak English for example your choices are limited. Xpat Planet sells solutions for about 20 plus languages including British Television. Astro is okay but I like my home comforts and am not prepared to cheat myself with second rate chancers. Also, I pay a monthly fee, but it is worth it.

I can definitely recommend IPTV from TOT. Got it setup last month, and for 200b (yes, just 200b!!) we got about 16 HD channels, all in English: NAT GEO WILD, NAT GEO PEOPL, FOX, FOX CRIME, SyFy, BIO, CI, Universal and a couple of more. Perfect quality, no issues what so ever.

This appears to be the TOT IPTV package you're talking about:

http://www.totiptv.com/choiceS.html

Unfortunately, AFAIK, the entire TOT IPTV website is in Thai language only.

And, it's not quite clear whether their IPTV service can be ala carte ordered on top of a different ISP's Internet connection, such as True or 3BB. Or, whether access to TOT IPTV requires a separately paid TOT Internet Service Plan (with TOT generally having a reputation as a pretty poor ISP, especially in terms of access to non-Thailand based content).

But leaving aside that point, I also see the translated fine print as reading, in addition to the 200b per month IPTV plan fee:

Note: Prices do not include treatment equipment 150 baht / month and excludes VAT. 7% / number of channels may have changed.

So that would appear to put the service more into the 375b per month neighborhood -- apart from charges for the underlying Internet connection. And that's almost double what you reported in your post above.

Right now, in Bangkok, I'm paying 350b per month in total for a two service points local cable TV service that includes a comparable number and selection of channels -- that's entirely independent of, and not dependent on, my home Internet service. So even if the Internet goes down, the cable stays on.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

All very interesting.... there has been a lot of suggestions around the various threads here over the last few months.... some very helpful, thumbsup.gif some not at all! sad.png

I don't get this buying a VPN service, I tried several and found them no better than using HOLA on Firefox...(free) which seems to work perfectly well thumbsup.gif All I have ended up getting a junk email from one or two of these VPN sites as to how to increase the size of something whistling.gifbah.gif ...

I am using 3BB as provider, and watching channels from UK, Oz, Canada, and US ...the US ones are the hardest to get into, as they ask for which Cable company one uses... virtually no buffering most evenings... (mostly BBC and ITV... all channels.... enough really....) .... but Nat Geo and History etc, would be good too!

Hooked up by HDMI from Mac Mini to large screen TV and separate speakers thumbsup.gif

As for the IPTV box, I am thinking of buying one, for the simple reason only not to have the computer running all the time.... and I can multitask too ... work on Computer and watch TV too!

I did try one IPTV box a friend has and it seemed to work fine! Certainly cheaper than True, or Astro which I used for about 3 years!

Things are really changing to the good, when it comes to TV viewing.....thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

For all these suggestions which include use of computers for the TV access. I noticed there is no mention of the power/size of the computers themselves IE: suggested RAM for instance as I read many posts speaking to buffering.

Also with regard to the multiple named boxes here in?? I am quite sure that not all named in this thread can be acquired in Thailand. Wondering if they were brought in under arm or shipped in and in that case would love to hear how that went.