Five large Leos for 199 thb

Diplomatico

I never hear phrases such as, hansum man, up to you, ting tong, ai baa, cheap charlie, never once been asked for a "lady drink" (what the e f f is a lady drink?).

Babycham I believe - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babycham

Currently 'enjoying' 3 for 2 large Chang export in my local Thai bar and what the local guys and girls lack in football knowledge they more than make up in their enthusiasm for the game :)

As of Friday night, Dayli had added one more promo; 6 large Asahi for 299 THB, and you get to enter the drawing for a new Ipad. I arrived at 7 pm, because I was already in the neighborhood, and they already had about 20 drinkers. Walked by several other pretty good promos in the area (4 small Carlsbergs for 200) and they didn't have a single customer. Also, couldn't help but notice about 1/3 of the seating at Beer Republic is dangerously close to the street; been afraid to look at their prices, but many seem to be enjoying themselves.

Dayli could use some classic rock, but the Thai pop at an appropriate volume is likely better for their clientele. My only real concern about Dayli is that it sits on a fairly large parcel of valuable land that would be prime for condo development. Enjoy it while we can........Does seem like the owner has connections in all the right places, but it's not my business, but I'll take the dividends. And in fact, I'm not even sure who the owner or GM is, perhaps a young Thai man named Thon, but that is mainly because I've never had any problem in there that needed the managers attention (8 years). Salud!

As of Friday night, Dayli had added one more promo; 6 large Asahi for 299 THB, and you get to enter the drawing for a new Ipad. I arrived at 7 pm, because I was already in the neighborhood, and they already had about 20 drinkers. Walked by several other pretty good promos in the area (4 small Carlsbergs for 200) and they didn't have a single customer. Also, couldn't help but notice about 1/3 of the seating at Beer Republic is dangerously close to the street; been afraid to look at their prices, but many seem to be enjoying themselves.

Dayli could use some classic rock, but the Thai pop at an appropriate volume is likely better for their clientele. My only real concern about Dayli is that it sits on a fairly large parcel of valuable land that would be prime for condo development. Enjoy it while we can........Does seem like the owner has connections in all the right places, but it's not my business, but I'll take the dividends. And in fact, I'm not even sure who the owner or GM is, perhaps a young Thai man named Thon, but that is mainly because I've never had any problem in there that needed the managers attention (8 years). Salud!

I still haven't figured these places out. They're obviously not making any money on the beer. Of course everyone is expected to order food but even then, if you're only making money on food is it enough to pay rent, electric, staff etc, never mind getting a return on the money invested. One thing I think they don't expect is for people to come in and not order food. That would be bad form, I guess.

I think it's something that a lot of farangs don't notice.... Thais always eat when they drink, so comparing these places with bars that don't sell food doesn't really equate. I also think that just because these bars are incredibly cheap it doesn't necessarily mean that bars that don't sell food in high rent areas are a 'rip off', which is a favourite expression of posters here. Most of the so-called ripoff bars struggle to get by and selling beer at cost price or below wouldn't change that.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I doubt they would allow street food, if they were that concerned about the customers consuming food. I usually have to request a menu, also. The places really hard pressed for you to order food, stick that menu in your face well before you get your first beer. The same satay guy has been out front for years.......he delivers to your table or seat at the bar. Splurged and spent 35 thb on some nice pork satays the other night.....they were done perfectly.

post-37570-0-16200900-1408816051_thumb.j

I've always ordered food when I went, but have also brought food with me (my lady friend wanted pizza). They were ok about it, and I'm pretty sure I've seen other customers eating food they bought from street vendors.

There may be a few western foods on the menu, french fries and stuff like that, but it is largely Thai food, and good Thai food.

I don't know how they make money, but they've been there for years so they must be doing something right. I hope they continue to do so, I like the place.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

I've always ordered food when I went, but have also brought food with me (my lady friend wanted pizza). They were ok about it, and I'm pretty sure I've seen other customers eating food they bought from street vendors.

There may be a few western foods on the menu, french fries and stuff like that, but it is largely Thai food, and good Thai food.

I don't know how they make money, but they've been there for years so they must be doing something right. I hope they continue to do so, I like the place.

so exactly where is the place located?

so exactly where is the place located?

Directions here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752091-update-on-40-thb-large-leos/page-2

I still haven't figured these places out. They're obviously not making any money on the beer. Of course everyone is expected to order food but even then, if you're only making money on food is it enough to pay rent, electric, staff etc, never mind getting a return on the money invested. One thing I think they don't expect is for people to come in and not order food. That would be bad form, I guess.

I think it's something that a lot of farangs don't notice.... Thais always eat when they drink, so comparing these places with bars that don't sell food doesn't really equate. I also think that just because these bars are incredibly cheap it doesn't necessarily mean that bars that don't sell food in high rent areas are a 'rip off', which is a favourite expression of posters here. Most of the so-called ripoff bars struggle to get by and selling beer at cost price or below wouldn't change that.

For me personally its nothing to do with price, I happily pay 200 baht for an imported beer in Thai places, its about service and attitude.

A few months ago I and three friends wandered into a farang bar, we always tend to drink draft beer if its available.

Asked the girl for a draft beer, it came flat as a pancake, no head and tasted like vinegar, undrinkable, she brought another exact same.

Then had the cheek to expect to be paid over 200 baht for a product that was undrinkable.

Between the 4 of us we would probably have spent about 5/6,000 baht in the bar.

The girls attitude was trypical of dont give a shyt, we went elsewhere, wonder how her farang boss/owner took to the news she had driven 4 potential customers away.

Those rip off bars I refer to struggle to get by for two reasons, incompetant staff and greed.

A few years ago I was called a snob because I chose to use a Thai place rather than a farang place across the road.

Somchai and his mrs are quite happy making 15k per month profit, the farang thinks he needs to make 15k per week.

These Thai places tend to be family owned and they are on top of service issues, I have NEVER heard a Thai talking to another Thai customer the way some of these girls think they can talk to farang customers.

Not my bar, not my money, not my problem

I doubt they are planning on selling that place anytime soon. A year and a half ago it was a dump. They have put a ton of effort and money into renovating it.

• Like 1