Stains on clothing?

baz69er

Hi to everyone on Thai visa,

Does any one have any explanations as to the stains that I got on most of my clothes while staying in Thailand last year, I stayed with my girlfriend for 6 months in krabi & most of my clothes developed a rusty brown stain on them, jeans, shirts vests etc, I've tried using vanish & other stain removing products & for most of the time it seamed like it had been removed temporarily only to appear later...............

Where I stay the water is from a well so im thinking that maybe its something to do with it, I wash my clothes either using the washing machine or doing it by hand which uses 2 different water outlets.....

The funny thing is that my girlfriends clothes are o.k......

O.k I may be clutching at straws here but there are a few things that im also thinking that might be causing the stains..........

My Karrimor rucksack that I've had, that hasn't been washed since 2004 was completely soaked with all my clothes in when my girlfriend picked me up on her motorbike, there was a dry bag that has never been washed that has stayed in my rucksack that has brown stains on it......

I also bought a new mosquito net for the bed that also has brown stains on it & also a travel bag that hasn't been washed & also has brown stains on it too........

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some sound advice on what may be causing these stains as I will be returning to Thailand again in October for another 6 months & I don't want to but any nice clothes as im worried that they may end up being ruined again.....

Thanks in advance

Bazzer...

P.s no sarcasm that my girlfriend is deliberately staining my clothes.....w00t.gif

can be a number of things, even the red soil tends to leave really bad stains on clothes, if you bag had red dust on it and water got to it then it would start to put the stains into anything that touched them, could also be rust but I know just how bad the red soil stains are and they do not want to come out once in the material. Sard soap might be able to remove them but I would be keeping anything decent inside a plastic bag if using the same rucksack again but wash the bloody thing first.

• Like 1

I've laundered and sun-dried white shirts. Dry as a bone. Come back in a month, take them off the shelf, and they have pale brown stains. In this case, mold.

I've also had brand new shoes from the States, in the box, for two years. Took 'em out, they looked perfect. Put 'em on, the soles came apart. These are expensive brands; Timberland and K-Swiss. Never had it in the States. I'm guessing also mold that is attacking the adhesive.

I can't see how clothes washed in water with high iron content would only show in some spots, and not others.

• Like 1

How did you store your clothes? Did your wear them briefly and hang them because they didn't seem dirty? My guess would be moisture since here it's very humid. Here I've found that dirty clothing will mold quickly because of sweat and humidity.

I've also had brand new shoes from the States, in the box, for two years. Took 'em out, they looked perfect. Put 'em on, the soles came apart. These are expensive brands; Timberland and K-Swiss. Never had it in the States. I'm guessing also mold that is attacking the adhesive.

Have had the same experience with shoes. Years ago, when I first moved here I brought a long term supply of shoes with me. Brand new shoes were falling apart when I took them out of the box after being stored for a few years. New Balance running shoes were particularly bad in this regard. The adhesive glue and the foam soles just seems to disintegrate. Recently I have had pretty good experience with a pair of Puma hiking/work boots I purchased well over a year ago.

Still think the problem with the clothes is mold. Have to be careful how you store clothes here. If they're all jammed together in a clothes wardrobe, the clothes can get moldy in a hurry with all the humidity and heat.

• Like 1

Have had the same experience with shoes. Years ago, when I first moved here I brought a long term supply of shoes with me. Brand new shoes were falling apart when I took them out of the box after being stored for a few years. New Balance running shoes were particularly bad in this regard. The adhesive glue and the foam soles just seems to disintegrate. Recently I have had pretty good experience with a pair of Puma hiking/work boots I purchased well over a year ago.

Still think the problem with the clothes is mold. Have to be careful how you store clothes here. If they're all jammed together in a clothes wardrobe, the clothes can get moldy in a hurry with all the humidity and heat.

Sorry it happened to you, too, but I'm relieved to hear someone else has had the same experience.

I've thought about posting my shoe experience, but figured the local apologists that lurk here would attack me, saying I am a Thai-hater.laugh.png

And no, to anyone who might wonder, they were not stored in the heat.

• Like 1

How did you store your clothes? Did your wear them briefly and hang them because they didn't seem dirty? My guess would be moisture since here it's very humid. Here I've found that dirty clothing will mold quickly because of sweat and humidity.

I just folded them up & stacked them on a storage box, I never put them in the wardrobe as I know that this is a place for clothes to get damp, I actually told my girlfriend to keep the wardrobe doors open to get some air into it, but its strange that all her clothes are o.k & mine have the brown marks on them, I arrived in Thailand in October & it was the tail end of the rainy season.

can be a number of things, even the red soil tends to leave really bad stains on clothes, if you bag had red dust on it and water got to it then it would start to put the stains into anything that touched them, could also be rust but I know just how bad the red soil stains are and they do not want to come out once in the material. Sard soap might be able to remove them but I would be keeping anything decent inside a plastic bag if using the same rucksack again but wash the bloody thing first.

Im thinking that it could be the mould as the mosquito net had a couple of brown marks on it & this hadn't even been washed & also noticed my wash bag was the same that was hanging up, I was also thinking that it was rats piss or even gecko piss lol, the place where I stay is mainly made from wood & is open to the elements, so any creatures can easily get in to the place, oh & by the way I managed to remove the aluminium struts from my rucksack & got it to fit in the washing machine so its had a good wash....

• Like 1

Well anyway thanks for everyone's input to my dilemma including the sarcy ones, I will be returning to Thailand in October again & will keep a close eye on my clothes to see whether it returns again....

Cheers

Baz

The only thing I can think of I guess is do exactly the same with your clothes as your girlfriend does with hers. Also, maybe the material makes yours more vunerable to mold.

She was washing my clothes with hers the same & hanging them up on a clothes rail with plenty of air getting to them & your thinking the same as me that maybe the materials makes my clothes more vulnerable, im actually thing that my old rucksack that got soaking wet with all my clothes in it may have caused the stains, well I've washed it now so I can hopefully eliminate it as being the cause...

Cheers

Baz

I get the same on some clothes hanging in the wardrobe & shoes sitting in boxes for a period of time coming apart.

Humidity for the shoes I would say , brown marks mould or iron spots reacting to humidity.

Try putting a low wattage globe inside wardrobe or a small bucket half filled with salt or sand, they will absorb the moisture.

Im thinking that it could be the mould as the mosquito net had a couple of brown marks on it & this hadn't even been washed & also noticed my wash bag was the same that was hanging up, I was also thinking that it was rats piss or even gecko piss lol, the place where I stay is mainly made from wood & is open to the elements, so any creatures can easily get in to the place, oh & by the way I managed to remove the aluminium struts from my rucksack & got it to fit in the washing machine so its had a good wash....

another thing it could be now that you mention its a wood home id tannin stains from the wood, they can be extremely bad and will not come out. Never put damp or freshly worn clothes directly on to timber as they will suck up the tannin and cause major problems.

I can't believe you'll use that rucksack again. Is it washable? It's probably infected with mold. I think all of your stains are mold.

Here is your answer for your clothes:

http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-2-stain-remover-and-color-booster-liquid/

Although this product has hydrogen peroxide in it - a known mold killer - I'd boost that by adding 1/2 cup (4 oz UK) of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a load of wash. I find 3% hydrogen peroxide really cheap at any drug counter. Don't go too heavy because hydrogen peroxide if used strong enough is a bleach.