'Let the poor tap rubber at reclaimed plantations'

Lite Beer

'Let the poor tap rubber at reclaimed plantations'
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- With the Army and related agencies looking to reclaim at least 3,000 rai from groups which had encroached on state forest in Phu Phan district in Sakhon Nakhon, officials have suggested that the province should let poor people tap rubber at reclaimed plantations.

Lt-General Jarukiat Chaiwong, who led the Army Region 2 working team to tackle deforestation, said an inspection yesterday of Phu Phan's 402 hill showed that some 5,000 rai were cleared and burned for growing rubber trees. He urged police to arrest the encroachers as soon as possible.

Jarukiat said he had also suggested to province officials an idea from the junta - that, rather than cutting down rubber trees, they could let the poor tap rubber there without having land ownership rights. Provincial police have launched 24 lawsuits over encroachment in Phu Phan forest so far, including 12 cases against people involved at 402 hill.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Let-the-poor-tap-rubber-at-reclaimed-plantations-30241628.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-24

• Like 1

Quite a good idea to raise living standards of the locals, but it will have to be closely monitored to prevent local mafias demanding a % from the tappers.

They'd get more money growing/selling long beans, and they would need teaching how to tap. A bad tapper can kill a tree.

They should send bulldozers in there and rip the trees out by the roots. They should let "the poor" harvest the wood. They should then pile the stumps to dry for burning. The ash would fertilize the ground and the forest would return to nature.

In 1988 there was a major forest fire in Yellowstone National Park in the US. Because it is a "wilderness - nature" area it was left to nature after the fire. Even experts were amazed at how quickly it recovered.

Thailand needs fewer, not more rubber tappers and it needs to preserve its natural forests.

no let the poor cut the trees, most beautiful wood can be sold rest should stay there an rot. Burning isn't a good idea.

At the same time "plant" a natural mix of trees. Sure some university can help.

Are the poor willing to wake up at 3am?

There had to be one of these racist post

Far from a racist comment, but a fair question.

Very fair question since we all know that the poor are just lazy people sitting at home collecting their welfare money.

Oh wait, this is Thailand where the rich earn the high incomes due to connections and monopolies and there is no welfare coming from the government. I guess that the people who work the 12-18 hour shifts will be willing to wake up early.

• Like 2

"...they could let the poor tap rubber there without having land ownership rights."

Another case of:

Your honor, yes, I've been breaking the law for years, but, I'm poor.

Can you please give me a pass, and selectively exempt me from the applicable laws?wai2.gifwai.gif

These dolts just make it up as they go along...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It's not a racist comment...

Financial status has nothing to do with race !!

True, it shouldn't, definitely it shouldn't and in a fair, non discriminatory society I'm sure it doesn't.

Now, where can I find such a society?

I'll google it..........

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Thailand is afraid to let Farangs own a small plot of land

to build a home for themselves and their family,under the

premise,that Farangs will buy all the land,and there will be

none for the poor, BUT the rich and influential own most of

the land in Thailand,1000's of rai ,!

regards Worgeordie

When i first came to LoS to live my landlady in Bkk had an ' MR ' title and was so proud to tell me she owned a house in London and had a nice interest bearing account with a major bank there but she freaked out when I suggested reciprocal rights.

It was made very clear i was a foreigner here, and no rights and that's how it should be.

• Like 1

Everything I have seen in the last month is Shakespearean. 'Much ado about nothing'.

Everything I saw for the last few years with PTP was "A Comedy of Errors" and I reckon Prayuth is thinking that by the end of 2015, "All's Well that Ends Well"

moe666, on 24 Aug 2014 - 09:43, said:
Payboy, on 24 Aug 2014 - 08:50, said:

Um, I might be dumb, but how does this relate to racism...oh wait, you are one of them fools, who, when unable to debate intelligently, throw in the old "racist" card... well done. I never knew there was a country where it's inhabitants are called "poor", Australian for Australia, New Zealander for... well get my gist, but never heard of the "Poor" from Poorland.

• Like 1

The way rubber prices are going, the poor would be better off selling the trees for the wood.. !!

Bad idea. Rubber wood prices are also going down and there are more supply than demand. Better the original idea to leave the trees alone and tap. At least this government provide some subsidy for latex but not the wood.