Retirees, are you worried that the rules might change?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth should we be worried? Providing a cheap, sunny haven for western retirees is a growth industry. Just look at the list of countries that are encouraging such a move. Malayasia, Panama, Ecuador, Honduras and even Egypt. (Which is where I am right now) to name but a few.

There has to be benefit to the host country, otherwise they would not be encouraging us with such easy entry and residence regimes.

I can see no reason whatever to be pessimistic about the future for us in Thailand. And I’ll be there in October to put it to the test.

Edited by Moonlover

Ubonjoe, I am optimistic but also realistic. I am not talking about possible changes to the visa rules in the next year or so, but perhaps 20 years in the future, and none of us can know what will happen.

But based on the history of 'retirement' visas, and the general rules regarding issue of visas to foreigners, do you really think it is likely that there will be no changes to the rules, or that the requirements will be eased?

IMHO,, I do not think for 1 second that the visa rules will remain unchanged or will be eased.in the future. The logical assumption is that they will be made stricter, to what degree or how is unknown.

20 years in the future.????? Get real,,,,!

I have seen nothing to make me think there is any impending changes. In fact the new police order that goes into effect on the 29th has no changes for retirement extensions.

In my opinion there will never be another change to the age to qualify. Nor a requirement to spend the money here.

I cannot see them raising the financial requirements any time soon. It is already well above what is needed to live here.

I have a concern that the finacial qualifications might well change in line with inflation. The last time was quite a shock when it was raised from 200,000 to 800,000.. If a similar rise were to be enforced now, I and, I suspect many others would be in trouble.

If a similar rise and change as the last time, were to be enforced next month or next year. Nobody staying here on 800k would be in trouble

The ridiculous part of the 800K minimum is that, I can live quite comfortably, in several Gulf of Mexico cities, for half that amount, where everyone speaks English, including the third generation of SE Asian bargirls. I live quite well in Thailand (w/ a happily paid 4 gf) on far less than 1/3 of the original 800K minimum requirement. So, go figure how Thai Immigration (policy makers) came up with that absurd figure, to begin with. My best guess is that it all stems from the "probability" factored costs of medical maintenance, for the more mature "farangs"! whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Ubonjoe, I am optimistic but also realistic. I am not talking about possible changes to the visa rules in the next year or so, but perhaps 20 years in the future, and none of us can know what will happen.

But based on the history of 'retirement' visas, and the general rules regarding issue of visas to foreigners, do you really think it is likely that there will be no changes to the rules, or that the requirements will be eased?

IMHO,, I do not think for 1 second that the visa rules will remain unchanged or will be eased.in the future. The logical assumption is that they will be made stricter, to what degree or how is unknown.

I can understand your concerns, especialy with a new PM, who wants to impress, but i do think that Thailand prefers old uns like me clap2.gif

In 2 years i will be 65, so i only have to show my government pension, and nothing else, a bit silly, i know,so i will not need an extension for retirement, and show 800,000 baht

does that mean your government pension is 65,000 Baht (USD 2,040, GBP 1,230, €UR 1,540, AUD 2,200, NZD 2,440)?

Nearly all people that have been working in my home country (Sweden) will have that or more in a Government pension

that's why so many Swedes retire in Thailand. yawnnn... coffee1.gif

I am not concerned but I do see some possible situations that could be a concern. Unlike in our own countries where there are people or NPOs who can assist you here we tend to relay on our wife's or girlfriends who may or may not be the best suited to address our problems.

Example: health related issues that keep you from going to immigration for your extensions. Will you be on overstay and thrown out of country or will they understand and say not a problem?

How about Alzheimer's and you lack the ability to keep your affairs in order, will they deport you if you are unable to sign you name or even remember who you are ?

The 800,000 rule for retirement has been in place for a long time, when will they increase the requirement? Will you be able to cover the required increase?

Perhaps always best to have a plan B just in case, even if you are 80 and feeling good.

After you have put all your eggs in one basket if something happened it would be difficult when you are old and not healthy to try to put everything back in order and start new again back in your home country.

I've often pondered this Alzheimers/Parkinson dilemma as I age.

I mean what will happen to me?

Will I knock my beer over...or forget to pay for it?

I am not concerned but I do see some possible situations that could be a concern. Unlike in our own countries where there are people or NPOs who can assist you here we tend to relay on our wife's or girlfriends who may or may not be the best suited to address our problems.

Example: health related issues that keep you from going to immigration for your extensions. Will you be on overstay and thrown out of country or will they understand and say not a problem?

How about Alzheimer's and you lack the ability to keep your affairs in order, will they deport you if you are unable to sign you name or even remember who you are ?

The 800,000 rule for retirement has been in place for a long time, when will they increase the requirement? Will you be able to cover the required increase?

Perhaps always best to have a plan B just in case, even if you are 80 and feeling good.

After you have put all your eggs in one basket if something happened it would be difficult when you are old and not healthy to try to put everything back in order and start new again back in your home country.

Probably both muddy.....however what concerns me is you already cock ur leg on the bar stool when it's time to pee....what on earth will u be doing in another 10 years time. :)

• Like 1

I have never met a retired person in Thailand, that make having plans or making changes for things that can happen 20+ years from today. And I haven't even talked with a retiree here that is planning 20 years ahead

Exactly. What would be the point of even thinking that far, into the future. I live my life in segments of 90-day extensions. Anymore than that, is totally unrealistic whistling.gif

NativeSon360, on 24 Aug 2014 - 15:16, said:
larsjohnsson, on 24 Aug 2014 - 14:36, said:
Farang99, on 24 Aug 2014 - 12:50, said:
ubonjoe, on 24 Aug 2014 - 07:52, said:

I have seen nothing to make me think there is any impending changes. In fact the new police order that goes into effect on the 29th has no changes for retirement extensions.

In my opinion there will never be another change to the age to qualify. Nor a requirement to spend the money here.

I cannot see them raising the financial requirements any time soon. It is already well above what is needed to live here.

I have a concern that the finacial qualifications might well change in line with inflation. The last time was quite a shock when it was raised from 200,000 to 800,000.. If a similar rise were to be enforced now, I and, I suspect many others would be in trouble.

If a similar rise and change as the last time, were to be enforced next month or next year. Nobody staying here on 800k would be in trouble

The ridiculous part of the 800K minimum is that, I can live quite comfortably, in several Gulf of Mexico cities, for half that amount, where everyone speaks English, including the third generation of SE Asian bargirls. I live quite well in Thailand (w/ a happily paid 4 gf) on far less than 1/3 of the original 800K minimum requirement. So, go figure how Thai Immigration (policy makers) came up with that absurd figure, to begin with. My best guess is that it all stems from the "probability" factored costs of medical maintenance, for the more mature "farangs"! whistling.gif

I think you will find most "mature" farang pay their own medical, either from their own savings or their private health insurance, simply because they don't meet the requirements for state paid.

You don't have anymore details, or you cant remember them ?

You've given enough detail, on this forum, already whistling.gif

Why do you blokes persistently give new ideas to the Thai (policy making) authorities, who are definitely reading the posts, on this forum.Can someone make any rhryme or reason to the penchant certain members have for writing those lengthy, detailed (informative) diatribes. Be considerate. Many other retirees, may not be quite as fortunate, as you are. "Loose lips, sinks ships"! For heaven sake, button it up, for a change,coffee1.gifK?

• Like 1

I'm not retired yet but I'm not too concerned if I were on a retirement visa. I can always go back to the free healthcare system in my home country if I get too old to take care of myself. And I wouldnt want to die in Thailand anyway, my bones would not be happy about that.

Probably both muddy.....however what concerns me is you already cock ur leg on the bar stool when it's time to pee....what on earth will u be doing in another 10 years time. smile.png

milking badgers is always possible

• Like 1

Forget retirement visa requirements. A more valid concern for you David, at 55, and for me, is what happens when China invades Japan, America joins the fray, and Thailand allies with China?

ASEAN has some seriosly big cracks to paper over, not least the chinese claims on the seas. They've nearly got an operational aircraft carrier and they regularly frighten the bejasus out of individual US planes in the area. It's all going to boil over long before Thailand gets settled into the western style democracy elections and government surviving their term. Retirees will not be a big priority for Thailand, but the reverse will continue to produce threads like this :)

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. I'm certainly not in a panic nor going to be, but to me it seems this current government is not to "farang friendly". Everybody's circumstances are different. I've never had 800,000 baht in a bank here and couldn't if i wanted to. If the USD doesn't drop anymore (not likely) my pensions are well above what is required for proof of income, still with schooling, house mortgage, truck payments etc. finances are tight, and no my wife doesn't not spend extravantly, if anything a "cheap Charlene". A lot of retires are much closer to the requirement, it wouldn't take much to put them in a "doesn't qualify" range. I have no medical here and couldn't afford it if I could even get it, 69 yrs. old. My health is, knock on wood, good, I'm still good to go in a lot of "circumstances". That will change. I have great insurance (free) through my work retirement and Medicare plus the VA back in the states, none of that good here except for my VA disabilities. High cost insurance could sink me. Cost of living here has tripled since I first came back to SE Asia, the USD has sunk and probably isn't anywhere near hitting bottom yet. Purchase power has gone down hill. Many factors to consider, one is I have Thai family here and no desire to go anywhere else, except for "holiday". Anybody that thinks that the rules or the law can't be changed by the government at a whim is living in la-la land.

• Like 2

I have to say that the lack of forward-planning by many posters, bearing in mind the 'fragility' of the Thai political system, fragility of something that we cannot mention, and 'time-limits' (ie work permit, tax paid) on being able to apply for PR or citizenship, astounds me.

Are you sure you're not all going local? ==> think for today and don't plan for tomorrow? biggrin.png

I'm not retired yet but I'm not too concerned if I were on a retirement visa. I can always go back to the free healthcare system in my home country if I get too old to take care of myself. And I wouldnt want to die in Thailand anyway, my bones would not be happy about that.

Under government retirement age, and you will have to wait 6 months to get free healthcare in England, upon your return.

I think things stay as it is now but all retirees should have medical insurance before the extension is given.

Went last week to a hospital and saw an old Australian chap with serious hard conditions. When I asked him if he has any savings to get in to a private hospital he told the Mrs from Pattaya took all his money.

Sounds more like a hard up problem than hard on!

It never ceases to amaze me, how so many, seemingly "intelligent" foreigners, will live in Thailand, up to 10+ years, but never seem to get the drift of things. For those of you who just don't get it, "farangs" are not welcomed guests, but only tolerated, as long as you "contribute" to keeping the unemployment rate, to the minimum bottom line status. Capiche? whistling.gif