Retirees, are you worried that the rules might change?

// Thailand will probably not need retired farang anymore, but it will try to focus on high profit tourists (people that spend 5000 baht or more per day). //

There are many retired farangs who match that criteria wink.png

5'000 B/day is monthly about 5'000 $, 4'000 or 3'000 £

Anyone who got some success in his career can easily get that.

You should better look in nice houses around Pratumnak

rather than guesthouses on Soi Buakhao to find them though wink.png

I agree

Hi profile expats spend more than that, many expats spend 5k a day

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...why would any rational government make it hard for people to simply live here and only spend money?...

I spot a flaw in your logic. It's all about the word 'rational' biggrin.png

For someone who describes themselves as an " optimistic member " I would hate to see you when you are pessimisticermm.gif

I'm sure many are worried. Normal in a country where things change from time to time. By they way what retirement age is 50? Really? Many just start business at 50. Things may change and I wouldn't be 100 % sure about being grandfathered.

I would be a lot more worried if I has a school for ED visa here

• Like 1

Me too would be worried if I "has" a school for an ED visa. The good news is that Walen is not an ED visa school. We are just helping with obtaining ED visas but our main business is teaching languages. If there is no more ED visa Walen School will still be here and doing well.

• Like 1

The only thing that concerns me and over which I have any reasonable control is to keep my string of extensions of stay via retirement 'consecutive' and uninterrupted such that, should any changes occur, they will hopefully consider me exempt from the new conditions.

I have been coming to Thailand for 28 years, in that time they to my knowledge made three changes to the retirement extension. 1 they lowered the age to 50, benefited many people, was not a detrement to anyone. 2 they raised the monry requirement, but grandfathered in the ones already here, and if I recall they did it at the time when the baht was extremely low, so in US dollars I think it worked out close to the same. Now with the rise in the baht the financial requirements are rising in regards to the US dollar. 3 they have changed the requirements of Two non Thai citizens who are married, before one could sponsor the other, but now both have to meet the financial requirements, I would think that affects a lot of people, unless the ones already here were grandfathered in.

One reason I changed to an extension of stay based on retirement, rather than a non immigrant Oa visa, was so that I could qualify for a PR but now I've read in this thread, that there is a tax payment requirement there, I will have to check that. To the OP if you qualify for a PR I would start the process, better to be safe than sorry. I must admit though I am on a retirement extension, I qualify for a marriage extension, so that gives me some wiggle room.

Edited by Issangeorge

Me too would be worried if I "has" a school for an ED visa. The good news is that Walen is not an ED visa school. We are just helping with obtaining ED visas but our main business is teaching languages. If there is no more ED visa Walen School will still be here and doing well.

But you are a scaremonger. I have seen more than ten posts from you telling the retired people that the 50 years will be raised. Without any proof or anything. And you keep posing this a few times every month

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1

If they do older members of TV will not be bashing younger ones so much, will they? Just because some are older they think they are somehow more privileged to live in Thailand than younger ones. Ha ha. I have mentioned it but certainly not few times every month. Don't worry be happy.

Edited by MacWalen

...they have changed the requirements of Two non Thai citizens who are married, before one could sponsor the other, but now both have to meet the financial requirements...

The above statement is wrong, both under the current extension rules and under the new rules that will take effect in three days.

If they do older members of TV will not be bashing younger ones so much, will they? Just because some are older they think they are somehow more privileged to live in Thailand than younger ones. Ha ha. I have mentioned it but certainly not few times every month. Don't worry be happy.

But they who belive they are the most privileged to live here must be the people running the language schools ;) By the way.......do you belive that you belong in the young or old group here ???

Well with that sort of attitude I will not recommend your school, where have you ever seen in writing that people who are on retirement visa think they are somehow more privileged to live in Thailand talk about a dumb statement.

Ha ha. I don't think I will need it. I'm a resident. By that time probably a Thai citizen. Still 8 years is a long time.

What type of visa do you have?

Whatever his visa status it seems that he could no longer enroll in one of his own schools and get an unlimited stay.

Walen School has many students over 50 and they learn long time. No problems reported and things seem to be getting more relaxed again. It is still a long term stay. Many prefer to learn than to put 800,000 in the bank or do some maneuvers through dodgy agents.

Edited by MacWalen

Walen School has many students over 50 and they learn long time. No problems reported and things seem to be getting more relaxed again. It is still a long term stay. Many prefer to learn than to put 800,000 in the bank or do some maneuvers through dodgy agents.

You just complained this was going off topic and this is the second time you have mentioned your School!

Ha ha. I don't think I will need it. I'm a resident. By that time probably a Thai citizen. Still 8 years is a long time.

What type of visa do you have?

Whatever his visa status it seems that he could no longer enroll in one of his own schools and get an unlimited stay.

He has permanent residency. No worries for visas and extensions.

Long-term and Unlimited are not the same thing.

• Like 1

Less than 8 years left until your retire visa smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png cheers

Perhaps it is worthwhile to remind everyone that it is not compulsory to get a retirement visa extension at 50 years old. I am 55 and just started studying for my 4th university degree, with the intention of working for the forseeable future.

since eight years i read over and over again

-they don't like us,

-they only like our money,

-they keep on changing the goal posts,

-Thailand is a <insert derogatory expression> country,

-all Thais are racists,

-Thai banks levy a racist fee when using their ATMs,

-the noodle soup vendor charged me 5 Baht more,

-why don't they do something about soi dogs?

-why do Thais pick their noses in public?

-Cambodia here i come!

-only invest in Thailand what you are prepared to lose,

-Mummy, Mummy they call me "Farang"!

the list of loser complaints is endless! bah.gif

Spot on there...but you forgot someone's endless complaints about the baht busses and the lack of metered taxis in some jurisdictions.

Less than 8 years left until your retire visa smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png cheers

Perhaps it is worthwhile to remind everyone that it is not compulsory to get a retirement visa extension at 50 years old. I am 55 and just started studying for my 4th university degree, with the intention of working for the forseeable future.

In reply to your op, personally, I think it would be fine if they doubled or tripled the bank deposit amount to obtain a "retirement" visa. They could also do away with the monthly pension option, which would do away with allot of the flim-flammery surrounding these visas while at the same time washing out most of the farang undesirables in many locales. They could, at the same time, lower or eliminate the minimum age requirement for obtaining this visa class. I don't expect any of this to be done but I would have a problem if they did.

As to raising the age requirement, why would they do that? Why do they want a bunch of older (and presumably less healthy cohort) living in Thailand? If they have the funds, let them come in when their younger and spend it. Older people, as a whole, tend to spend less because they've already seen and done it all while the young are generally more free with their money.

" No problems reported and things seem to be getting more relaxed again. "

but you dont mention the fact you cannot do this in Chiang Mai ? thats a problemblink.png

how do you know they wont bring in the same restrictions for the rest of Thailand soon ?

Edited by Asiantravel