Why do I keep getting error messages (on TV only)?

isanbirder

I keep getting messages saying

Sorry, you don't have permission for this.

The administrator has limited the number of posts you can make in a short time frame.

Then it tells me to wait a certain number of seconds.

This usually happens on the first post of a session, so is blatantly absurd.

I usually then go off to another sub-forum, and when I check back,my post has been entered in the normal way.

I have never come across this problem so far but should it happen to me, the first thing I would do is clear the cookies. With some browsers, you can delete them selectively for a particular website, with other browsers you have to delete all cookies, but this causes no problem. Try it and see if it solves your problem.

Google Chrome, no add-ons. I've cleared the cookies.

This my first post in this session, so we'll see if it happens again! If it does, I'll be back!

(No, this one went through properly; if it happens again, I'll take a copy)

Edited by isanbirder

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#103128]

The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 15 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

It's back again.... and that was it! I was posting in Chiangmai sub-forum; The Golden Age of Chiangmai.

[#103128]

The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 15 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

It's back again.... and that was it! I was posting in Chiangmai sub-forum; The Golden Age of Chiangmai.

Are you experiencing any problems with your Internet Connection, slow connection or huge delays rendering the ThaiVisa website pages?

(If you are experiencing issues, it could be that your connection is resending packets due to delays and ThaiVisa daemon thinks you're packet spamming the board.)

[#103128]

Are you experiencing any problems with your Internet Connection, slow connection or huge delays rendering the ThaiVisa website pages?

(If you are experiencing issues, it could be that your connection is resending packets due to delays and ThaiVisa daemon thinks you're packet spamming the board.)

I have also had this come up on a number of occasions all be it not recently.

[#103128]

I was having problems with slow connections (I use an aircard), so I had the whole hard drives cleaned and the programs replaced. This cleared the increasing numbers of ads, speeded the whole thing up, and much improved performance.

But this pesky administrator is still with me!

Normally the diagnostic approach would be to access ThaiVisa from a different computer using your login credentials and test for similar issues. If they do not exhibit themselves then we continue to examine the original PC for issues.

Check your Internet equipment, speedtests, DNS settings (try google open/public DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)

Try different web browsers (all extensions disabled).

Check for service updates from your PC manufacturer.

Continue to scan for adware, malware and other nasties.

Try re-installing Ethernet or WiFi drivers

etc., etc.

Normally the diagnostic approach would be to access ThaiVisa from a different computer using your login credentials and test for similar issues. If they do not exhibit themselves then we continue to examine the original PC for issues.

Check your Internet equipment, speedtests, DNS settings (try google open/public DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)

etc., etc.

When it does, it happens on another PC too.

But the problem disappears automatically without any intervention after awhile.

(of course, it does not occur every day)

etc., etc.

When it does, it happens on another PC too.

But the problem disappears automatically without any intervention after awhile.

(of course, it does not occur every day)

Thanks, both of you.

RichCor has me in a flat spin (after 30 years of using computers, I am STILL a computer idiot; some of us are just like this).

Ravip has me wondering; whose PC? But it doesn't disappear.... and it does occur practically every day if I'm posting enough.

Thanks, both of you.

RichCor has me in a flat spin (after 30 years of using computers, I am STILL a computer idiot; some of us are just like this).

Ravip has me wondering; whose PC? But it doesn't disappear.... and it does occur practically every day if I'm posting enough.

Have you ever tried testing, and adjusting your PC's MTU (maximum transmission unit)?

This setting determines how much data goes into each data packet. Many computers have a default MTU of 1500 bytes (made up from 1472 byte payload and 28 byte ICMP/IP Headers), BUT most Internet equipment using PPPoE are limited to MTU 1492 bytes and must fragment your packets into multiple smaller packets, creating overhead and more packets to track and reassemble.

Setting your originating equipment to the maximum MTU size can help produce faster throughput.

If you are interested, try this test: LetMeCheck.it

There are sites that will walk you through the process of adjusting the MTU of your OS.

I did a quick web search and the good news is that apparently it is not a problem with you or with your computer. Some users of other forums have reported the same issue and the most logical explanation I found was this:

That error means Flood Control is enabled - it's an ACP setting that allows you to specify the minimum time between posts. It's not a per user or group settings, it applies to everyone equally (unless the member has "Avoid Flood Control" enabled).
They're not targetting you. They may simply be trying to reduce load on the forums as I'm sure Mauricio can tell you, forums eat servers.
ACP = Administration Control Panel
Not being a computer geek, my guess is that when the total number of posts being made simultaneously by the membership as a whole within a specified time span exceeds an administrator-specified maximum limit, the so-called flood control cuts in and the "#error103128" message gets sent out. It probably helps to prevent the sever from getting fried or otherwise acting up.

I did a quick web search and the good news is that apparently it is not a problem with you or with your computer. Some users of other forums have reported the same issue and the most logical explanation I found was this:

That error means Flood Control is enabled - it's an ACP setting that allows you to specify the minimum time between posts. It's not a per user or group settings, it applies to everyone equally (unless the member has "Avoid Flood Control" enabled).
They're not targetting you. They may simply be trying to reduce load on the forums as I'm sure Mauricio can tell you, forums eat servers.
ACP = Administration Control Panel
Not being a computer geek, my guess is that when the total number of posts being made simultaneously by the membership as a whole within a specified time span exceeds an administrator-specified maximum limit, the so-called flood control cuts in and the "#error103128" message gets sent out. It probably helps to prevent the sever from getting fried or otherwise acting up.

That sounds a nice explanation.

There seems to be some logical snag, though. This often happens to me, but apparently not often to others. The logical deduction is that I choose times to post most frequently when lots of other people are posting.. If that's true, why don't lots of other people get it too?

Oh well, it's not a disaster area. The posts get posted in the end; the only snag is that I have to go a somewhat roundabout route to ensure that my post has come up correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now the administrator is back again. Almost every time I open TV, and post my first message in that session, I get the error message. Yes, if I wait, the post posts normally.... but it's getting damned annoying!

And from all the answers above, I'm sure it is within TV, and not some external bug.

(It happened this time too; that's two posts out of two!)

Edited by isanbirder

Check your device for malware and virus.

1. It is constantly checked by avasti.

2. Two or three months ago, I had the whole thing cleaned out, and the software reinstalled. No difference in this respect; I had the same problem before and after.

• 1 month later...

The problem seems to have cleared (I hope I'm not jumping the gun!).

How?

I changed my mouse.

Before anyone says, This couldn't possibly be the answer, ..... it also stopped posts appearing twice on my local forum.

But I can't explain how the thing generated a message!

Ahh. Switch Bounce.

Happens when a mechanical switch is momentarily pressed and released.

When a switch is toggled, contacts have to physically move from one position to another. As the components of the switch settle into their new position, they mechanically bounce, causing the underlying circuit to be opened and closed several times.

A mouse or keyboard with dirty contacts could relay multiple closure/opens on a single press, similar to a stutter.

0J796.200.jpg

Oscilloscope capture of the output voltage of a small mechanical switch as it bounces.

• 8 months later...

Have has this same problem, occasionally. So thanks to all for explanations. The result tonight was that I posted only one post, got the error message. Returned to my TV screen, clicked on the 'post' button. Resulted in duplicate posts. Next time, instead of beating myself up over it, I'll quote one of these explanations.