Barebones Health Insurance

Issangeorge

Is there any company out there selling bare bones health insurance? Insurance that only covers you at Government Hospitals in a ward?

I have been on the Insurance for Foreigners, but it is coming to an end. I am turning 64 in January and figure I should get private insurance while I still can. I do not want a policy that covers me in a Private Hospital, for several reasons, I don't trust private hospitals. They are not any in my area, when I'm in the hospital I enjoy the company in a ward, and I don't want to pay extra insurance fees for coverage I would not use. I am also looking for a company that would pay direct to the Government Hospital.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same situation as you and I went for http://www.thaihealth.co.th/product_simply_eng.php

You have to enrol at least 3 months before 65th birthday. After 65 you can't change the policy. I went for this as I went to a local hospital (not government hospital) and asked them which insurance they would recommend. The rep turned up fast, of course, but he seems like a decent guy you can trust and has helped me out with other stuff last year. Important is the rep that you have to do with I think.

He also told me that this would be good for one serious incident only, I'm sure you know what I mean. My plan B is to be able to go home for treatment as well as plan C, 'self insuring'.

I was in the same situation as you and I went for http://www.thaihealth.co.th/product_simply_eng.php

You have to enrol at least 3 months before 65th birthday. After 65 you can't change the policy. I went for this as I went to a local hospital (not government hospital) and asked them which insurance they would recommend. The rep turned up fast, of course, but he seems like a decent guy you can trust and has helped me out with other stuff last year. Important is the rep that you have to do with I think.

He also told me that this would be good for one serious incident only, I'm sure you know what I mean. My plan B is to be able to go home for treatment as well as plan C, 'self insuring'.

As with most policies in Thailand, it excludes pre-existing conditions - and the rates are relatively hefty compared to what you get. I decided a long time ago that it was just better to roll the dice and be self-insured.

As with most policies in Thailand, it excludes pre-existing conditions - and the rates are relatively hefty compared to what you get. I decided a long time ago that it was just better to roll the dice and be self-insured.

Yes I agree. I don't really have any preexistings, and the thought in my mind is that a hospital where I am not registered is more likely to accept me in the case of an emergency. I pay ฿10 500.- a year for some degree of peace of mind.

So it just may mean that one should purchase health insurance before there are any pre-existing condition or at least those that are easily ridered (as in my case 3 years before any knee surgery due to previous minor knee surgery)

Health insurance is difficult for pensioners in Thailand. I've decided to self insure for health but I have decided to get Bangkok Bank Personal Accident insurance to at least cover some of life's hazards :)

I have a few pre existing conditions so insurance that I can get excludes most of the major health items... I have opted for a accident policy (3,500 baht for 125K insurance)... My greatest fear and risk is getting side swiped on my motorcycle!... Minor health issues I pay for if anything major comes up I can return to USA and have it taken care of...

Edited by sfokevin

I have had Bangkok Bank's Accident Insurance since coming to Thailand three years ago. Cautionary notes are that the claim limit is very low by western standards at 30,000 baht. Also, they have a separate policy if you ride a scooter or motorbike so if you do, even occasionally as a passenger (motorcycle taxi?), pay the extra. Contrary to what they say about major hospitals taking their card for direct billing, I have found this not to be the case. However, when I did have a small claim, they paid it directly into my account in a reasonable amount of time. I am sufficiently impressed enough to carry this policy always. But I do have a costly HCI policy as well. I was enrolled, as farangs were once allowed, in the Thai government health insurance program but they quickly discontinued eligibility for farangs and reimbursed the premiums paid (but not time spent!). You were not given choice of government hospital except in the case of critical illness/injury so it was not the greatest.

Insurance policies fo not discriminate between public and private hospital. They simply place a cap on how much they will pay per episode. Most insurance companies offer a range of plans with differing limits anf also a choice of hospitalization only and of hospitalization plus OPD. The latter is usually not worth it.

While care in a govt hospital always costs significantly less than equivalent care in a govt hospital you should not underestimate how much it can cost. I have several times known bills to reach or exceed 1 million baht when prolonged ICU care and/or multiple surgeries where involved.

from what you describe, a hospitalization only policy with coverage up to 1 million baht would be best. BUPA and most other companies offer this.

They also offer much lower levels of coverage. Do not be misled into thinking that this equals the "bare bones" policy you want. It equals a pretty useless policy, one that covers only very simple problems (which you could probably have managed out of pocket) and leaves you high and dry when faced with a catastrophic illness or injury....which is what you really need insurance for.

I got AIA health insurance plus life insurance without health exam. I was 69, cost me 32,000thb/year. I did because after 70 I think no company will insure me. The policy coverage looked OK to me, but my concern is that was not any details in English and I do not nothing about its exeptions, pre-existings, ajustments,etc. If somebody have AIA insurancet, please let me know.

Look here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671391-affordable-health-insurance/

If you manage to get it please post back with full details. Pattaya City Public Hospital staff looked at me with blank faces when I tried.

The above referenced thread is very confusing, lacks detail but has a lot of waffle.

Could do with a simplified guide.

I tried this a few months back.

Insurance companies must be the Only business that offer the customer what they want (The insurance company wants)

Everybody wants Emergency cover i.e for big unforeseen emergencies, especially ex-pats.

Expats can usually go home and get some kind of emergency cover for say a Heart attack or Hit and Run (the latter worries me more!).

I wanted cover - JUST If I couldn't fly... (But to them, that's like Not being in control of the roulette wheel...)

No such thing as a certainty - except for insurance companies...

• Like 1

Hit and run would be covered by a PA policy such as the bangkok bank one.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/Bancassurance/NonLifeInsurance/Pages/PA1st.aspx

- and -

http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/insurance/insurance-products.php

discussed here --

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741208-a-e-fund-co-op-for-ex-pats/page-2#entry8085991

I think you can get repatriation insurance for the event that leaves you incapable and needing to be treated in your home country

Sorry to go off topic, but a question to all who "self insure"

How much do you put aside? Say 3000 baht per month?

1 year that's 36000 baht

10 years 360000

20 years 720000

That's not nearly enough in case of heart attack or some major surgery.

In my opinion , health insurance is a must, especially after 40 years old. Self insuring simply does not add up and as shown would take 30 years of savings to cover 1 major incident.

I tried this a few months back.

Insurance companies must be the Only business that offer the customer what they want (The insurance company wants)

Everybody wants Emergency cover i.e for big unforeseen emergencies, especially ex-pats.

Expats can usually go home and get some kind of emergency cover for say a Heart attack or Hit and Run (the latter worries me more!).

I wanted cover - JUST If I couldn't fly... (But to them, that's like Not being in control of the roulette wheel...)

No such thing as a certainty - except for insurance companies...

Yes, of course. You want to insure what is likely to happen, they don't want to insure that because that is likely to happen.

Look here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671391-affordable-health-insurance/

If you manage to get it please post back with full details. Pattaya City Public Hospital staff looked at me with blank faces when I tried.

The above referenced thread is very confusing, lacks detail but has a lot of waffle.

Could do with a simplified guide.

That scheme was meant for workers from neighbouring countries, but for a while also sold to other foreigners, due to a lack of communication. This has now been corrected, so this scheme is not available anymore to people who it was not meant for.

I have had Bangkok Bank's Accident Insurance since coming to Thailand three years ago. Cautionary notes are that the claim limit is very low by western standards at 30,000 baht. Also, they have a separate policy if you ride a scooter or motorbike so if you do, even occasionally as a passenger (motorcycle taxi?), pay the extra. Contrary to what they say about major hospitals taking their card for direct billing, I have found this not to be the case. However, when I did have a small claim, they paid it directly into my account in a reasonable amount of time. I am sufficiently impressed enough to carry this policy always. But I do have a costly HCI policy as well. I was enrolled, as farangs were once allowed, in the Thai government health insurance program but they quickly discontinued eligibility for farangs and reimbursed the premiums paid (but not time spent!). You were not given choice of government hospital except in the case of critical illness/injury so it was not the greatest.

The 'low' medical benefit you mentioned is because you bought the policy in a Bank - BKK Ins does in fact offer far higher medical benefits should you chose

We all have to die somewhere. Would you rather die owing for the hospital or would you rather die having paid 200,000 THB over the last 20 years? Up to you.

Health Insurance does not ensure your health. It ensures that the medical facilities will be taken care of financially.

I have a few pre existing conditions so insurance that I can get excludes most of the major health items... I have opted for a accident policy (3,500 baht for 125K insurance)... My greatest fear and risk is getting side swiped on my motorcycle!... Minor health issues I pay for if anything major comes up I can return to USA and have it taken care of...

IF you can return. That is the gamble. Maybe too sick.

well i have blue cross and blue shield from the states. and it covers me where ever i am in the world thur world blue. used them when i was in russia and needed hand surgery. the russian health system wont cover forangs , and its wroth a 1million usd. and will pay for drugs as well. cost me about 220.0 usd a month

At least some Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans have worldwide coverage but limit the total number of days outside the USA per trip.

yes thats true, but my plans is thur my teamsters pension trust and union and its one of the old style plans like no co pay like some and there is no limit on out side us use.. it did surprise me on how blanket the coverage was. every time a go to a clinicback in usa and they wanted to see if i had a co pay i told them i dont and they would check and say ok wow dont see that much anymore. any way i dont know what that would cost out side but i bet a lot