Bangkok cab driver who allegedly robbed Chinese tourist arrested

webfact

Cab Driver Who Allegedly Robbed Chinese Tourist Arrested

By Khaosod English

14089491441408949554l.jpg
Somphot Krutpheuk, 32, was arrested at his apartment in Taling Chan district for allegedly assaulting and robbing a Chinese tourist on her way to the airport last week, 24 August 2014.

BANGKOK — Police say they have arrested the taxi driver who allegedly assaulted and robbed a Chinese tourist on her way to the airport last week.

Somphot Krutpheuk, 32, was arrested at his apartment in Taling Chan district yesterday and has been charged with robbery using a vehicle. The offence carries a maximum penalty of ten years in jail.

At a police press conference yesterday, Mr. Somphot confessed to picking up a Chinese passenger from Chulalongkorn University on 21 August and charging her 1,500 baht for a trip to Don Mueang Airport, a fare far above the regular price charged by metered taxis.

The taxi driver also confessed to parking the car in a secluded area near the Motorway in Bangkok's suburbs and repeatedly punching the Chinese tourist in the stomach in an attempt to rob her, confirming what the tourist told police last week.

Mr. Somphot said he drove away with the tourist's belongings after she fled the car in terror. She had left 3,000 baht in cash, air plane tickets, and clothes inside the vehicle. He said he used all the money for "alcohol and gambling."

Mr. Somphot told police he committed the crime because he was poor and desperately needed the money. Mr. Somphot also offered his apology to all Thais for damaging the Kingdom's reputation.

Police records say Mr. Somphot was previously arrested in Pathum Thani province in 1999 for a narcotics-related offence and later sentenced to a year and half in prison.

After he was released from jail, Mr. Somphot was arrested again in 2013 for allegedly gambling inside a Buddhist temple.

There have been several criminal incidents involving taxi drivers in the past month. Two days ago, a taxi driver reportedly attempted to punch an American journalist after he tried to record the cab’s information when the driver refused to use a meter. Earlier this month, a taxi driver allegedly robbed two American passengers with a fake handgun. He was later arrested on the same day.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1408949144

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-08-25

There is a new Sheriff in town. Good work RTP and military.

I hope the lady recovers and the driver gets his day in court with the appropriate outcome.

And now the investigation should focus on the company that hired him. Vicarious liability...if such a thing exists in Thailand.

It's painful to even imagine what this lady had to go through, left alone and penniless in a 'secluded area' after a brutal assault... Good for her that she's Chinese, though, because China means power, and I have a feeling that Chinese authorities don't easily put up with too much crap here...

As for the refrain 'I did it because I'm desperately poor', it's in the Book of Cheap Excuses, chapter 8 'How to use other people's natural sense of compassion' and it stinks big time. Intellectually and morally revolting, but very common around here, I regret to say.

It's painful to even imagine what this lady had to go through, left alone and penniless in a 'secluded area' after a brutal assault... Good for her that she's Chinese, though, because China means power, and I have a feeling that Chinese authorities don't easily put up with too much crap here...

As for the refrain 'I did it because I'm desperately poor', it's in the Book of Cheap Excuses, chapter 8 'How to use other people's natural sense of compassion' and it stinks big time. Intellectually and morally revolting, but very common around here, I regret to say.

Who cares where she was from, the outcome would have been much the same had she been American, European or whatever and complained (as anyone who this had happened to would have). Nothing to do with power but rather a criminal act committed towards an innocent tourist.

Who cares where she was from, the outcome would have been much the same had she been American, European or whatever and complained (as anyone who this had happened to would have). Nothing to do with power but rather a criminal act committed towards an innocent tourist.

You obviously didn't understand my point at all so I won't bother to argue.

"Mr. Somphot told police he committed the crime because he was poor and desperately needed the money."

The audacity! That scoundrel didn't need the money because he was poor, but by his own admission blew it on booze and gambling.

He was too poor to use his earned money to pay for the booze and gambling.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Every day I am more glad that the good general stepped in and took over running this country. This toilet has not been flushed in a long time and the smell was becoming unbearable. One more turd down the crapper. This story almost gives one hope that the RTP could actually become a professional crime fighting organization instead of a professional criminal organization.

Mr. Somphot said he drove away with the tourist's belongings after she fled the car in terror. She had left 3,000 baht in cash, air plane tickets, and clothes inside the vehicle. He said he used all the money for "alcohol and gambling."

Ok at least he didn't waste it .