City hall to clear Silom of vendors during the day

webfact

I like the vendors being outside, keeps the feel of south east Asia. I do believe there should be a clearway for pedestrains and wheelchairs. I am sure most vendors would not have a problem with this.

Right on, I like the street vendors as they are the soul of SEA. I would not like to see them totally removed and for those who don't like them travel in areas where they are not set up (upcountry)? Just joking I agree they should have room to let people traverse the sidewalk easily. I VOTE against removal!!!!

• Like 1

The issue is that what was once part of Bangkok's charm has become a complete pain. Street vendors have been in Silom for decades but it used to be restricted to nights and the Patpong side of the street only( and one side of that sidewalk). Gradually they have taken over the entire road. That's not charming, fun or colourful anymore: just a pain in the butt for everyone trying to get somewhere.

Worse than Silom is the area outside Big C, opposite Centralworld. That is not a shopping experience but a nightmare: vendors so close together and taking up virtually the entire pavement area. They should be cleared out as well. Anyway, I don't go to that centre anymore after the tragedy with the young kids a few months ago.

That is what makes Bangkok what it is, the spirit the spontaneity, the character- the unpredictability, narrow roads, the fun and adventure!

If it becomes over regulated, as it is looking like thats beginning to take shape, we'll end up with just another big Asian city full of 'do-not's'....have to go back to what makes Bangkok special for what it is- certainly not monstrous, overpriced shopping malls a dime a dozen as could be found in any other city...

Whats more, what attracted us to come to Thailand or even Bangkok in the first place?

• Like 1

Something needs to be done to have vendors controlled. They set up anywhere they like , on Silom road you cant walk at midday .

This is kind of interesting as every time I visit BKK I go to Silom and don't find moving freely along the walkway impeded by the vendors. BTW every time I travel from the BTS down to Patpong there is always a large man in a wheel chair and he seems to do okay also, I believe he has a booth of his own in the area. Anyway enough said on my part, I would not like to see them removed!!

• Like 1

How about fixing the sidewalks and standardizing the way the vendor shops look?

Like what they have done in Korea

pk6e.jpg

Looks too sterile and no soul or Asian spirit. Hope this never catches on in BKK!!

And how Thailand should look something like:

30240804-01_big.jpg

This look is just not asia, lets hope this just disappears into the sunset of time.

It needs some tidying up & proper marked areas for stalls to keep tidy & facilitate foot traffic, as far as I know a majority of them have operated on both sides of the footpath for a good decade as I know a few of them personally. Local Amphur is also happy take the monthly fees & issue paperwork for this & most permanent long term stalls are registered with Amphur & you will see Amphur officers going round monthly.

Main issue is simply lack of common sense on setting it up & policing it correctly, which at end of the day is reason behind most Thai problems ...

Completely removing all stalls is not the perfect answer by any means & shows vey little understanding to the network chain linked to trading & supply line & all workers involved.

Would like see same hardline approach to the police on silom & especially Surawong road that block taxis from going down to Patpong so only certain tuktuk & taxi mobs can scam punters with ridiculous prices ! Same goes for the mess on Silom & Sukhomvits in terms of bars & prostitution but as many are financed by high ranking police & government officials it being avoided at present :-/

Amazing how many people on here get all upset when rules are enforced on address registration & less flexible visa options but as soon as a lot of thai people are losing an income option they don’t give it the proper thought it deserves ...

• Like 1