Now require HIV testing.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the university did ask for this it is breaking the law pure and simple. The law is quite clear as I have read it, in both Thai and English. The Op should not take the test and should report the university to the relevant authorities instead. It is a violation of human rights , illegal to compel anyone to take the test as it necessarily implies that knowledge of the results will be passed to a third party (punishable by imprisonment or a heavy fine). Many who have lived and worked here for many years will know that HIV care, treatment and legislation is extremely well developed and a model for many nations on the peripheries of the G8.

Can you post what you have read then ?

not that I dont believe in regards in what it says in the legislation, but struggling to believe its written in the manner you have stated.

does the legislation state a person will not be discrimimated against if HIV positive or or does it actuallly ban HIV testing,

two very different things, I am inclined to believe it says a person will not be discriminated against, but as to out and out banning of HIV testing, struggling with that one

so would appreciate it if you could provide a link so we can all read what it says, and not rely on a possible spin someone has put on the legislation

I have lived here more than 10 years and slept with quite a few bar girls .I have a check up every year and always asked for hiv test to be added If by any stroke of bad luck i got it I would not have wanted to pass it on Not need it since getting married Ive been good and love my wife.Why would you not want to know? Sooner start treatment the better

Because you are being denied employment if you fail the test. The consequences if you test yourself are different than if the employer demands the test. Do people seriously lack imagination or something? Just think about it for a couple minutes.

where does it say you will be denied employment or even sacked if one comes up HIV postive ?

one suspect most of these requirements come from insurance companies anyway not the actual company, simply becasue they do not want to foot the bill for the drugs if somemone does come up HIV positve

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i had to do it for angolan visa,

i know its not thailand, but they could be trying to catch up with things

Thailand trying to catch up with Angola? Sounds about right..........................tongue.png

Angola, and quite a few other places in the world I have worked in have required an HIV test to be conducted as part of their "WP" approval process.

most notable was China in the late 80's, yes you had to do a full medical, but they appeared rather paranoid about the whole HIV thing at the time, Number test on the list of checks "HIV test"...wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i had to do it for angolan visa,

i know its not thailand, but they could be trying to catch up with things

Thailand trying to catch up with Angola? Sounds about right..........................tongue.png

Angola, and quite a few other places in the world I have worked in have required an HIV test to be conducted as part of their "WP" approval process.

most notable was China in the late 80's, yes you had to do a full medical, but they appeared rather paranoid about the whole HIV thing at the time, Number test on the list of checks "HIV test"...wink.png

Singapore still does it for those that earn less than a certain reported amount according to the type of employment pass applied for.

HIV testing not permitted by law

It may be difficult to do much about the requirement for medical certification that teachers [and other foreign workers] be free of diseases such as elephantiasis, tuberculosis, alcoholism, drug addiction and syphilis, as required for all foreign workers applying for work permits under Ministry of Labour regulations. However, HIV testing of employees is not permitted, according to the ministry's own Code of Practice on Prevention and Management of HIV/Aids in the Establishment. Section 5.1.1 states that there can be no requirement for testing for HIV/Aids or any request for certification of whether a person is HIV-positive or negative as part of the screening of job applicants and employees or as part of the employment conditions.

Concerned Ajarn and his colleagues should file a complaint with the ministry if this supposedly prominent university persists in its unenlightened refusal to comply with government labour guidelines.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation July 4, 2012

• Like 2

There is still no real justification for it though, other than to discriminate. I can't think of any justifiable reason as to why it would be requested.

I guess when our next member of staff goes to renew their work permit we will see.

Insurance purposes. If HIV infected chances are life and health insurance options will be more limited.

It may be difficult to do much about the requirement for medical certification that teachers [and other foreign workers] be free of diseases such as elephantiasis, tuberculosis, alcoholism, drug addiction and syphilis, as required for all foreign workers applying for work permits under Ministry of Labour regulations. However, HIV testing of employees is not permitted, according to the ministry's own Code of Practice on Prevention and Management of HIV/Aids in the Establishment. Section 5.1.1 states that there can be no requirement for testing for HIV/Aids or any request for certification of whether a person is HIV-positive or negative as part of the screening of job applicants and employees or as part of the employment conditions.

Concerned Ajarn and his colleagues should file a complaint with the ministry if this supposedly prominent university persists in its unenlightened refusal to comply with government labour guidelines.

nationlogo.jpg

thumbsup.gif ...thats what I was looking for

It is necessary if you are being insured by your employer, otherwise should not be. The Insurance agent comes to the hospital to verify.

And which insurance company asks for this ?

Not BUPA for sure.

nationlogo.jpg

Thank you for posting!

It is discrimatory.

Would you get the job if the test was positive?

And how relevant is it to get tested for a teaching job? And how does being hiv negative make you a better teacher?

it is no different from being refused a job because you are Black.

As long a your hiv status does not represent a danger for the students, not only the hiv test doesnt make sense, it is a violation of privacy.

this is just wrong

• Like 1

It is necessary if you are being insured by your employer, otherwise should not be. The Insurance agent comes to the hospital to verify.

And which insurance company asks for this ?

Not BUPA for sure.

I have BUPA's platinum plan (the best one) and it does not cover HIV anyway.