TAT plans to extend visa stay for European tourists to raise revenue

webfact

TAT plans to extend visa stay for tourists to raise revenue

BANGKOK, 28 August 2014 (NNT) – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is considering adopting some measures to maximize tourism revenue, including extending visitors’ visa stay, as this year’s earning is likely to be lower than targeted.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Aranyik estimated that Thailand’s income from tourism this year will miss its 2.2-trillion-baht target, accumulating to 1.9 trillion baht, divided into 705 billion baht from foreigners and 1.2 trillion baht from locals. At the same time, the number of foreign visitors could be about 25.5 million, a drop of 3.34 percent compared to the goal of 28 million.

Therefore, the Governor revealed that the TAT is preparing to propose a range of tourism stimulus measures to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports for consideration. One of the measures is the doubling of stay for tourist visa holders which would, for example, allow European tourists to remain in the Kingdom for as long as 60 days, as opposed to the current 30-day limit.

The TAT will also seek to maintain the visa fee waiver for Chinese and Taiwanese passport holders for a bit longer. Mr Thawatchai pointed out that Thailand needs to step up its game after many countries, especially Japan, have already exempted visa fees for visitors, leading to a fiercer competition.

The TAT Governor added that Thailand’s newest tourism campaign promoting the Thai ways of living will be introduced at the World Travel Mart 2014 in London, England this November while its official domestic launch is scheduled in January next year. The campaign is expected to help bring the country closer to its tourism revenue target of 2.2 trillion baht a year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-28 footer_n.gif

related topic:

TAT plans 'Thainess Year'

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So TAT has been watching television, the buy one get one free promotions are being extended to visas and freedom to stay exemptions. If we can't attract more people with our year of Thainess promotion, we will let them stay longer to squeeze more out of them. (Shakes head)

• Like 1

"At the same time, the number of foreign visitors could be about 25.5 million, a drop of 3.34 percent compared to the goal of 28 million."

Don´t they mean a drop of 93,34 percent?
I arrived yesterday and there were only 3 persons at the immigration queue.

• Like 1

It wont be up to TAT to increase the visa stay times,that will be

up to the Immigration Dept,and they seem hell bent on curbing

length of stays.

Why don't they call it the Amazing Thainess Year, facepalm.gif

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

The Gods government takes away with one hand (Immigration), and then mulls giving with the other (TAT), a fine example of 'Thainess' ! facepalm.gif

Why cannot it be understood across-the-board, tourists are good for business, and should be encouraged whatever the administration in-control this month ?

Yes of course extend the VOA-scheme & visa-periods, and make it permanent, not temporary ! coffee1.gif

"One of the measures is the doubling of stay for tourist visa holders which would, for example, allow European tourists to remain in the Kingdom for as long as 60 days, as opposed to the current 30-day limit."

Just when I thought I had it down... Isn't the current Tourist Visa for 60 days - plus 30 day extension allowed at immigration?

The Exemption is 30 days - beginning tomorrow another 30 day Exemption can be added at Immigration..

So what am I missing... ? Europeans don't get 60 day tourist visas now? My bet is TAT is confusing a Tourist Visa with an Exemption ...

Wow - no wonder there is so much confusion passed around.

• Like 2

Don't they realise that this in and of itself will effect the tourism figures because people won't have to do visa runs.

If they want to get figures up, they should try to increase visa runs.

I await TAT changing this policy forthwith.

The som-tam lady revealed to me the TAT's master-strategy, to give a 'troll' or 'gonk' to every tourist, said soft-toy to also count as a second visitor in their statistics ! rolleyes.gif

Problem solved at a stroke ! laugh.png

She also muttered something about using cloning create the cuddly-toys, and my own need for a long-overdue haircut & shave, but I think she was just kidding ! tongue.png

• Like 1

What is Thai way of living ?

Every evening in my area , it looks like the entire neighbourhood is getting drunk. Is that considered Thai way of living??

Going to Isaan , one also sees villagers getting drunk or swinging in the hammocks, is that considered Thai way of living?

Really , I am curious as how TAT defines Thai way of living which they want to promote

Yes I am looking forward enormously to seeing the montage/expo of 'Thai Ways of Living' With luck there should, for a start, be demonstrations of motoring, drinking, sleeping, lottery playing and gambling, exhibits from Macdonalds and KFC, a 3D Son et lumiere of RCA and Petchaburi Road, a Ranong Fishing boat Experience.....No doubt the contract will be put out to tender

Don't they realise that this in and of itself will effect the tourism figures because people won't have to do visa runs.

If they want to get figures up, they should try to increase visa runs.

I await TAT changing this policy forthwith.

The som-tam lady revealed to me the TAT's master-strategy, to give a 'troll' or 'gonk' to every tourist, said soft-toy to also count as a second visitor in their statistics ! rolleyes.gif

Problem solved at a stroke ! laugh.png

She also muttered something about using cloning create the cuddly-toys, and my own need for a long-overdue haircut & shave, but I think she was just kidding ! tongue.png

Well precisely. The figures have been all over the place for years in terms of measuring real tourists. Considering that Laos and Malaysia are in the list with bazillions of daily overland visas. Then visa runners were counted,and rather ridiculously, the expansion of regional management offices in Singapore can boost tourism because management has to fly in and out of thailand all the time.

So no wonder when there is a real downturn, no one knows what to do, because no one knew how they drove the figures up in the first place.

• Like 2

What is Thai way of living ?

Every evening in my area , it looks like the entire neighbourhood is getting drunk. Is that considered Thai way of living??

Going to Isaan , one also sees villagers getting drunk or swinging in the hammocks, is that considered Thai way of living?

Really , I am curious as how TAT defines Thai way of living which they want to promote

the thai way of living is easy to define just watch a thai soap opera , dont ya know all thais are rich white skinned models with big cars and mansions......

• Like 1

"One of the measures is the doubling of stay for tourist visa holders which would, for example, allow European tourists to remain in the Kingdom for as long as 60 days, as opposed to the current 30-day limit."

Just when I thought I had it down... Isn't the current Tourist Visa for 60 days - plus 30 day extension allowed at immigration?

The Exemption is 30 days - beginning tomorrow another 30 day Exemption can be added at Immigration..

So what am I missing... ? Europeans don't get 60 day tourist visas now? My bet is TAT is confusing a Tourist Visa with an Exemption ...

Wow - no wonder there is so much confusion passed around.

My thinking too.

Looks like a little competion, TAT try to push numbers up.

Immigration try to push number down, but try to increase the money flow inside the country.

MFA, somewhere in the middle, should they issue more visas for Tourist (real or fake) or cut down.

This is currently just in the "maybe we'll submit" phase and I suspect the final form may look different. This will not help the permanent tourists very much. I think the government still is going to thin the herd. On the plus side, at least in Bangkok, the retailers can double the watch expos.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud

But apart from teenagers on a year out (not the quality tourist TAT wants I suspect) , those who have retired, or the rich. How many people can actually afford in terms of time and money to take a 2 month holiday? As far as I know most people who work have about 25 days annual holiday and i'd imagine that these folk (working people) are the mainstay of Thailand's tourist industry in terms of revenue. A 30 day or 60 day visa will make little difference if they are on a two week break?

Whilst it is a nice gesture from TAT, they seem to be targeting a very small group with this extension I doubt very sadly, that it will lead to the generation of significant revenue.

You are so right.

But, you miss the point, it is about European or western countries.

Which might mean the TAT is seeing the light, western tourists spend more per day and stay longer.

Chinese tourists spend hardly anyting in the local economy and stay shorter,

Also, western tourists, those who can do it, want to spend wintertime in warmer climates.

So 60 days is a good thing, but 90 days would be even better.

What often happens at the moment with extended tourists is that they use their 30-day stay, visa-hop to Cambodia or Malaysia, stay a while or travel onwards to Vietnam, Laos or Indonesia and possibly return to Thailand to fly home.

This is a smart, cynical move - it'll keep the wallets inside Thailand spilling out the baht and divert them from the competition.

It's very Thai and very 21st Century.

Edited by RogueLeader