Student rides buses for two years to make helpful Bangkok bus route maps

webfact

Good for you.

The Bankgkok bus routes to the uninitiated are a chaotic shambles. This is the 21st century and buses still have destinations hand written on a piece of cardboard!! And conductors/conductresses (ha, there's a word you haven't heard in a right while!!) still collecting fares!

Why are there no double deckers in Bangkok?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

I don't know if this comment is allowed, but I've developed an app which contains all buses and routes in Bangkok.

It's currently available for the iPhone® and iPad® only.

You can download them at the App Store℠

https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/bangkok-bus/id902466252 for $0.99
(or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bangkok-buses/id898131052 for free)

This just contain basic functionality for now, since it's an initial release, but more advanced features have already been implemented.

• Like 2

I don't know if this comment is allowed, but I've developed an app which contains all buses and routes in Bangkok.

This just contain basic functionality for now, since it's an initial release, but more advanced features have already been implemented.

Can you please make an Android version, thanks.

• Like 2

Well done to Somwasin, and also to Ramsy - any help in making bus usage easier is a huge benefit to Bangkok and to the tourists who may wish to use them.

Yes, an Android version of Ramsy's application would be a good idea.

• Like 1

I found this Bangkok Bus Map quite useful as an overview but is probably out-of-date because it doesn't have (for one that I know about) the very useful Chaeng Wattana (Govt Complex) #52 bus from (at least) Mo Chit BTS:

Transit Bangkok Bus Routes

I wonder how accurate any map would be that took 2 years to produce (what about changes that may have occurred during that period?). What Bangkok needs is a website with a realtime bus location/route display ... right after they get some decent buses.

Edited by MaxYakov

Where did you get the route data or are you the student that rode the buses? How will the App be udated with route changes? Also, are you planning to update the App with a realtime display of bus locations? (kidding, of course) See This Post

Edited by MaxYakov

I got stuck in traffic on a hot, albiet uncrowded, #54 bus on Rachaparop (toward Central) the other day because I didn't want to cycle. Every time this happens I say "Never Again!". Now I know why the bus wasn't crowded. It was a Friday around 1400. I had completely underestimated the traffic. Most of us bailed and walked even before Petchaburi.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Good for you.

The Bankgkok bus routes to the uninitiated are a chaotic shambles. This is the 21st century and buses still have destinations hand written on a piece of cardboard!! And conductors/conductresses (ha, there's a word you haven't heard in a right while!!) still collecting fares!

Just wondering.

Because they would reach the terminus with half of Bangkok's cabling dragging along behind after every journey - those that still had the upper deck after passing under too-low bridges, that is.

this work has been done before-starting with a fanatic japanese. This has after years resulted in first an JPNese lingo map/booklet-buy at Kinokuniya, then followed by the Thinknet maps- 99 Bt. BMTA itself will never publish maps- thats done by the private sector. in Thai every 2-3 yrs a booklet appears with all routes writtendowen, incl ferries, boatservices, local trains, BTS/MRT etc. often followed by a slimdown english version.

As I have told here many times by now, the transitbkk site is OUT of DATE, incomplete and most likely based on stolen data from that JPNese. That does not mean all is wrong: most routes have not changed since 25+ years. They simply make money by those apps. Always smile when I see suddenly (chinese are most likely victims) tourists jump out as the bus follows its normal route, but which is wrong on the app.

What remains unmapped are the 200+ sidesoi/out of town local routes, mostly by red songhthaews or minivans.

Good for you.

Just wondering.

Because they would reach the terminus with half of Bangkok's cabling dragging along behind after every journey - those that still had the upper deck after passing under too-low bridges, that is.

OK, fair enough!

Good for you.

Just wondering.

The cabling could be a problem, but the bridges shouldn't be. You choose the right bus for the route or change the route. There are plenty of single decker routes in London where there are low bridges.

Actually there are two (maybe more) Bangkok bus route maps. I have had the one produced by Bangkok Guide Technology for at least 4 years and still refer to it. It's not 100% accurate but good enough for me.

BTW any tourist waiting for a number 2 at Chatuchak will be waiting for a very long time as the number 2 doesn't go there. I use it regularly on Sukhumvit.

Having said that, anyone who attempts to do what the Op has done deserves credit.

• Like 1

Good for you.

Just wondering.

The cabling could be a problem, but the bridges shouldn't be. You choose the right bus for the route or change the route. There are plenty of single decker routes in London where there are low bridges.

Yes but with so many Michael Shumaker style bus drivers, would you feel safe on the upper deck?

Well done to this young man. He has done something neither the government nor bus companies could do. Meritocracy has little to do with the Thai culture which is a shame, because this kid could go far with his determination and tenacity.

A good job. There was a bus map in the 70s but it was impossible to understand.

I hope the lad did go to school though.

Maybe he could consider studying the Geoinformatics degree they have just started at Phayo University. It looks like just the course for him.

Edited by harrry

Just wondering.

Because they will tip over

They don't tip over. The bigger risk is running into dangling cables.

Nope, the spirits will tip 'em over and the driver will run away and amulet sales will rise.

Well done to this young man. He has done something neither the government nor bus companies could do. Meritocracy has little to do with the Thai culture which is a shame, because this kid could go far with his determination and tenacity.

Agree and kudos to the young man. When a private citizen takes the initiative such as this, the BMTA should be hanging their collective heads in shame.

Hopefully he continues his education and perhaps does his thesis or dissertation on this or a similar subject.

Edited by Benmart

Good for you.

Just wondering.

Yes but with so many Michael Shumaker style bus drivers, would you feel safe on the upper deck?

Like I say, choose the right vehicle for the route. If there are things to hit, don't use the hight vehicle. But as with choosing the right buses for the route, you choose the right people to drive them. If you are going to invest in expensive new vehicles, you need to invest in the people that operate them.