With Thai economy flat-lining, it's time to look inward for answers

webfact

OVERDRIVE
With Thai economy flat-lining, it's time to look inward for answers

Thanong Khanthong

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's economic growth this year looks set to level off at around 1.50-2.0 per cent. Most of the engines of growth are sputtering. In the first half of this year, exports began to go downhill, contracting by 0.1 per cent.

The question now is whether export growth can still hit this year's official target of 3 per cent. Private investment has also fallen, by 4.4 per cent. It's the same story for domestic consumption (-1.2 per cent) and government spending (-0.6 per cent).

Thailand's economic growth has been inconsistent for a number of years now, falling well short of our potential of 4-5 per cent. The economy has suffered a contraction of 0.1 per cent so far this year.

Without deficit spending, it would have shrunk even more. In the first half of 2014, lending growth in the banking sector came to the rescue, reaching 6.5 per cent - the only positive among a range of economic indicators that remain dead in the water.

Yet there is a good reason why bank lending should not be the source to power growth if other economic engines are not working. This is because many of those who borrow from the banks will inevitably have a hard time servicing the debt, hence creating non-performing loans that could trigger another banking crisis.

At present, overall levels of private sector and household debt remain high, at 154 per cent and 83 per cent of gross domestic product respectively.

Government debt to GDP remains manageable at around 50 per cent. The only hope to revive growth is through government spending on the mega-infrastructure projects, though we must avoid making the mistake other developing nations have made: Government spending is no answer to problems with economic growth.

It might help spur growth temporarily, but it inevitably fades away and leaves behind burgeoning public sector debt that future tax revenues can't pay off. Overall, it seems we are on our way to becoming an indebted nation.

Inconsistent economic performance prompts us to ask what has gone wrong and whether Thailand has lost its competitiveness. If that is the case, then we need to face the fact with courage and start doing the right things to overhaul the economy.

For without reform, the engines of Thai economic growth will continue to sputter. But we also have to decide on prescriptions for the reform process that will alleviate the condition of people on society's bottom rung.

If we can no longer rely on exports because we have lost competitiveness or because importing nations have lost their purchasing power or appetite for Thai goods, then we can settle down to improving domestic conditions.

Growth will have to come from the domestic rather than the external side. The resulting growth rate might be small, but it could slow the rate at which the gap between rich and poor is expanding.

In this respect, focusing on healthcare, food and agriculture, services and other sectors could be the answer to securing Thailand's future economic health. Let's take a break and do some rethinking.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/With-Thai-economy-flat-lining-its-time-to-look-inw-30241979.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-29

Really Thailand could very easily improve its growth rate. It's infrastructure is way ahead of its neighbours which is a major plus for businesses looking to invest here. It's labour is quite cheap though not as cheap as before.

The infrastructure gap which has been its attraction compared to Vietnam, Malaysia, Burma and Cambodia is now closing with various measures such as 100% foreign business control in Burma, incentives for foreigners in Malaysia and the like. Thailand is stuck in the Thinking that has made it a xenophobic and really not very friendly country for foreign investment or long term stay residents.

Looking forward Thailand will lose its window of opportunity because of its xenophobia and its governmental resistance to all things foreign. It has every opportunity to learn from other more advanced nations but always tries to insist Thailand is best to the point it seems of changing every foreign 'idea' to make it Thai.

Thailand will continue to lose ground to its neighbours with this mentality but by embracing foreign investment and allowing foreign ownership and changing the laws to facilitate and encourage it along with long term foreign residents and tourists it could be the hub of Asia rather than a spoke in a broken wheel.

• Like 2

Its very simple. Less people want to invest here for many self evident reasons and commercial policies that encourage foreign private investment are out dated and uncompetitive. Thailand needs foresight and aggressive commercial change throughout the system. Until then, watch the decline continue.

So it's not because of the Junta?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i just dont understand how this can happen, thailand is so perfect and everyone wants to live here, can you feel the love?

oh yeah....I feel the love and I apply ointment every time I feel it.

Poor choice of word with Flat Lining. In the medical world, a Flat Line means the heart has stopped beating. In other words - DEAD! The economy should be portrayed as something growing or at least something that has movement which could be negative, static or positive. The OP probably was referring to NO GROWTH in the economy and not referring to it as DEAD.

Edited by toybits
  • Like 1

wait until the real numbers are reported

with debt rising, and consumers tapped, and vendors being pushed off already quieter streets;

hotels still close to empty,

restaurants and bars closing

layoffs that were supposed to be temporary, now, permanent

wait

Edited by SteveFong
  • Like 1

Another of these Yes - No, Up - Down stories a la tourist figures. It's hard to know which reports are the most accurate so for economy I rely on my bills at the supermarket and I am paying more for less.

Inflation is not really a guide of economic growth. If inflation is 5% and growth 10% it would be good thing. If inflation was 3% and growth 1% it would be a bad thing. So checking your shopping prices won't tell you anything about growth in the economy. Richer economies generally have food that's more expensive, but their economies are better than Thailand's. Maybe you need to have a think through about what you wrote.

Its very simple. Less people want to invest here for many self evident reasons and commercial policies that encourage foreign private investment are out dated and uncompetitive. Thailand needs foresight and aggressive commercial change throughout the system. Until then, watch the decline continue.

If you rely on foreign investment for growth you are giving other countries power over your economy. This is generally a bad thing, because one day they will leave.

Another of these Yes - No, Up - Down stories a la tourist figures. It's hard to know which reports are the most accurate so for economy I rely on my bills at the supermarket and I am paying more for less.

Inflation is not really a guide of economic growth. If inflation is 5% and growth 10% it would be good thing. If inflation was 3% and growth 1% it would be a bad thing. So checking your shopping prices won't tell you anything about growth in the economy. Richer economies generally have food that's more expensive, but their economies are better than Thailand's. Maybe you need to have a think through about what you wrote.

I'm a simple shopper not an economist and many of them are no smarter than me it seems.

Today we have the headline " Economy flatlining ", and only yesterday, " Bloomberg " reported Prasarn saying " Thailands economy will grow 5% for the next 4 quarters ".

I know who I believe.

One is looking backward and one is looking forward. An economy can be i recession with growth forecast for the next year when it recovers. There is nothing inconsistent in this at all.

Central banks the world over have been competitively devaluing their currency as interest rates have been manipulated for 30 years toward zero. To the extent global economic growth has been the malinvestment of unrepayable credit, the inevitable deflationary (or hyper-inflationary a la Venezuela now, depending on the political control over the central bank) collapse will be global as well.

Edited by cloudhopper

Took only four posts for someone to blame Thaksin.

Never mind there have been organised disturbances specifically with the intent of causing harm and instability by his opponents for over 8 years.

And never mind that the junta (and Democrats) continued the vast majority of Thaksin's policies when they took over.

No, no, it's all Thaksin's fault.

let's just sit back and watch the junta make it all better shall we?

laugh.png

Give it a rest and move on.

• Like 2

If you rely on foreign investment for growth you are giving other countries power over your economy. This is generally a bad thing, because one day they will leave.

dont you think Bangkok has over done it with the malls and the retails, and lord have mercy, the 7-11?

No wonder private investments took a nose dive. With the staccato of anti-foreign stances, rules and visa restrictions in he past months it is a miracle that it went down by just 4.4 per cent... Destroying the livelyhood of beach vendors throughout Thailand and leaving them without any options will not help much to increase local spendings, in the contrary - crimes will go up, further foreigners will pull out and along with them, their cash. Well done, Thailand! clap2.gif

• Like 1

No wonder private investments took a nose dive. With the staccato of anti-foreign stances, rules and visa restrictions in he past months it is a miracle that it went down by just 4.4 per cent... Destroying the livelyhood of beach vendors throughout Thailand and leaving them without any options will not help much to increase local spendings, in the contrary - crimes will go up, further foreigners will pull out and along with them, their cash. Well done, Thailand! clap2.gif

just beach vendors?

did the bar girls all get rehired?

the soapy girls?

the hotel waitresses in the lobby restaurants that have no customers?

the cooks?

the bus boys?

this has taken a much deeper cut into the Thai every day person

• Like 1