ATM Pin Code Hack, New to Me

Once they've got your PIN code, what do they do with it?

Surely you have to get robbed of your ATM card also for them to put the 2 together?

As a 2nd hand carsalesman ....you will figure it out.

I thought that they would have to skim the card in a skimming device also, to get all the data and then make a copy card to put it with the PIN code.

Yes, i've heard of the devices they use at ATM to steal/capture your card, but in the video he said this new device doesn't work on metal keypads. But you would still have to lose your card.

Think i'm going to have to phone a friend on this one......."Del Boyyyy"

• Like 2

Once they've got your PIN code, what do they do with it?

Surely you have to get robbed of your ATM card also for them to put the 2 together?

As a 2nd hand carsalesman ....you will figure it out.

I thought that they would have to skim the card in a skimming device also, to get all the data and then make a copy card to put it with the PIN code.

Yes, i've heard of the devices they use at ATM to steal/capture your card, but in the video he said this new device doesn't work on metal keypads. But you would still have to lose your card.

Think i'm going to have to phone a friend on this one......."Del Boyyyy"

Hmmm...am not a criminal but i guess the skimmer can pickpocket the wallet/purse or just follow the person to his/her house and burgle it at night......as Rodney told me !

I "think" all the Thai ATMs I've use have metal buttons which don't leave a thermal signature like talked about at around the 2:34 minute point in the video which is a good thing.

OP, thanks for a good video.

• Like 1

also metal buttons leave a thermal signature. It is really easy to obtain your Pin Code and if you use an old ATM card with your details on the magnet stripe, it will be very easy to scam you. Some also you a fake additional key board that is put over the existing key board to obtain your pin code. Very hard to detect.

Best not to use ATM cards.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/thermal-imaging-away-atm-pin-number-10-seconds-152044968.html

The type of keys an ATM uses are also a factor, with metal buttons being the least vulnerable to thermal thieves. Plastic pads were found to hold the heat much longer, making the scam possible. Thankfully, thermal imaging cameras are considerably more expensive than your standard point-and-shoot, and a pin number on its own is nearly useless without the matching credit card or other personal information.

Good info. Thanks.

I also keep only a small amount of money in any account attached to an ATM card. If the card is hacked, they won't get much. Easy to make transfers over the internet.

Actually, i think about this a lot, all they need to do is hack your account via computer which is not THAT difficult if they are determined.

Making the connection between your pin, your card and your online bank account might not be that easy, however.

I don't know but would like to hear from some experts.

I have the standard safety in place online but i don't trust it completely, but have not that many other options.

Same with putting powder on a digital safe shows the four numbers greased up by fingers.

Then you have just 4! Combinations to get it right (as long as they are four different numbers).

So touch more numbers when you finish.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

@infinity11: online or e-banking is usually safer provided your bank has a 2 factor authentication (2FA) process. And for those banks I use, they do an additional authentication for any payments to third parties.

Also I would stay away from using your smart phone for e banking and also you should make sure you don't store any passwords electronically.

Nowadays even mail providers like hotmail and gmail offer 2FA process but it's not mandatory. Suggest you enable the 2FA process for email too.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Same with putting powder on a digital safe shows the four numbers greased up by fingers.
Then you have just 4! Combinations to get it right (as long as they are four different numbers).

Not when I went to school.

.... etc

4 to the power of 4

Oz

Knowing the PIN of an unknown person/card is not really of much use - only if combined with theft of card or copy made of mag strip. In the case of Thailand almost all PIN theft is by camera at ATM machines with skimmer. Shun the lonely ATM machine and use at busy locations after looking for anything amiss and use hand to cover input fingers - they will go with the sure thing if actually viewed/skimmed. But best to make the switch to chip based cards when they become available. The chance of loss is still very, very low using ATM's.

Not when I went to school.

.... etc

4 to the power of 4

.Oz

I did speak of DIFFERENT numbers.

This is appropriate if you know four numbers have been pressed so no repeats.

Once you see powder on four buttons you can discard the other six.

Once you've pressed the first of the four buttons only three are available. Exhaust all combinations of the second button and only two are available

4! (4factorial) is the correct number of combinations of four different numbers.....which I believe is appropriate in this case.

Ie 4x3x2x1 =24

Edited by cheeryble

@infinity11: online or e-banking is usually safer provided your bank has a 2 factor authentication (2FA) process. And for those banks I use, they do an additional authentication for any payments to third parties.

Also I would stay away from using your smart phone for e banking and also you should make sure you don't store any passwords electronically.

Nowadays even mail providers like hotmail and gmail offer 2FA process but it's not mandatory. Suggest you enable the 2FA process for email too.

ok i'll bite, what is the 2FA

when i log on to my banking

they send me a code via email

but all they need to do is hack my email

i think that is very easy, i loath to include my mobile # in any online process

Edited by infinity11

So normally 2FA works with the following steps:

1) you enter username and password - 1st authentication

2) login site than gives you code which you enter into small calculator tool which the bank gives you which converts it to a different code you enter on the website - 2nd authentication.

Then if you want to make a payment to a third party, you need to enter part of the payment code again into that calculator and enter another authentication before the payment is released.

This is pretty safe. Banks normally don't send you emails and they are moving away from using SMS for the 2nd authentication by giving you this calculator tool.

• Like 1