Why do people complain about their Embassy

kingstonkid

Push come to shove, the folks crying about their embassies, will be the first, to ask for help. Our embassies have a job to do, and baby sitting us ain't it. When my brother died in Pattaya a few years back, the U.S. embassy performed their job flawlessly, and for that I say, thank you.

To the John from the north, I have been here in Thailand for over 10 years, and do pay monthly almost U.S. $100 each month for medicare. The only reason I keep it up is because if I stop, and I move back to the states, there will be a surcharge to resume it. That being said, after almost 11 years, and not having gone back to the homeland for 7 years, I think I will cancel it this coming year. Another 3,000+ baht, will be nice to have each month. That will cover the cost, of a couple of short times.

Edited by BillyBobThai
  • Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me say that i worked in a Cdn High commission for 3 years. During that time there was nothing that we would not do legally to assist anoyone in country no matter what the issue or time of day or night.

Why is it that people here have so much trouble or doubt about their embassies. I hear nothing but complaints about the Brit Embassy and have been told by reliable people not to expect much from my own other than admin assistance.

I have however had to deal with certain sections of the Cdn Embassy and found them very helpful.

PLEASE DO NOT JUST BASH BUT GIVE EXAMPLES OF YOUR OWN ISSUES NOT WHAT YOU HEARD.

I have nothing but praise for the counselor section of the Canadian Embassy, they have always been very helpful and answered my emails promptly. However the Visa section is very tardy on answering emails, but I understand it is contracted out, so perhaps that's why.

Sorry about the spelling I meant consular section. I have renewed two passports with them, both by mail and both was very quick service, I think within two weeks from mailing to receiving. I have to get a letter stating my income from them every year, and they allow me to do it by mail, most consulates don't, as I said before nothing but praise for the consular section.

Here's why....

I start with no expectations... I require no assistance and understand that the main tasks of the British Embassy are to drum up business for the UK, with some peripheral assistance / advice for British Nationals in Thailand.

This assistance comes in the way of documentation: i.e. Affirmation of Freedom to Marry / Affirmation of Residence etc...

Recently I required an 'Affirmation of Residence'...

It consists of one Photocopied A4 piece of paper which I fill out, its then Stamped and Signed by someone at the Embassy.

It took 1.5 hrs and cost THB 3080...

I consider this hugely expensive and I'm fed up with having to queue so long for something so simple.

I'm aware there are alternatives, I'm not work permuted at the moment, and I'm unable to get an Affirmation of Residence from Immigration until after I have filed a 90 day report (as I was informed by Immigration at Chaeng Wattana).

So - Why would I complain about the British Embassy? I complain about their excessive pricing on services for which there is no alternative. IF there were viable alternatives or if they were a business operating in the free market they would have no choice but to make their pricing more competitive. Choice is removed, I can't vote with my feet.

The unfair pricing IMO is excessive and borders on profiteering.

Edited by richard_smith237

Here's why....

I start with no expectations... I require no assistance and understand that the main tasks of the British Embassy are to drum up business for the UK, with some peripheral assistance / advice for British Nationals in Thailand.

This assistance comes in the way of documentation: i.e. Affirmation of Freedom to Marry / Affirmation of Residence etc...

Recently I required an 'Affirmation of Residence'...

It consists of one Photocopied A4 piece of paper which I fill out, its then Stamped and Signed by someone at the Embassy.

It took 1.5 hrs and cost THB 3080...

I consider this hugely expensive and I'm fed up with having to queue so long for something so simple.

I'm aware there are alternatives, I'm not work permuted at the moment, and I'm unable to get an Affirmation of Residence from Immigration until after I have filed a 90 day report (as I was informed by Immigration at Chaeng Wattana).

So - Why would I complain about the British Embassy? I complain about their excessive pricing on services for which there is no alternative. IF there were viable alternatives or if they were a business operating in the free market they would have no choice but to make their pricing more competitive. Choice is removed, I can't vote with my feet.

The unfair pricing IMO is excessive and borders on profiteering.

I agree that the UK Embassies are providing consular service at substantial fees...but they are not deciding about those fees...this is done in London....so you have to complain to your local MPsmile.png

....or get a similar document free of charge from immigration.

The only document of relevance that one can get from Immigration that I can think of is a certificate of residence. However, that will be in Thai, so useless for all purposes relating to one's home country unless one pays to get a certified translation.

For some purposes a certified (notarised) copy of a document is required, but lawyers here charge an arm and a leg for that service, because they know there's no cheaper alternative at the embassy, but at least that's more convenient than the British Embassy's policy of making one attend the embassy twice - once to submit, once to collect.

Unfortunately, some organisations will only accept certification from the British Embassy.

They should have private companies running consulates , much more efficient than government workers .whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

This concept is well known in the US ...where many people think everything should be privatized

Some time ago the prison system was privatized in several States and I know about at least one judge caught in receiving bribes for every inmate he sent to the prison.

Do you want to know why they complain about their Embassies??? Because "EVerY Bodee" knows how to run an Embassy or Consulate better than the Embassy staff - didn't you know that?? I think every TV poster here thinks they could do a better job than their Embassy does, right or wrong - Its My Embassy, and They do a good job for me............thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

One episode I remember about, is the Swiss embassy deconnecting their phones when Phuket was struk by the Tsunami.

I thought this was a disgrace.

My grandmother was an officer in armed forces in WWII and was subsequently active in my country's consular services, so I know a bit about this.

Consular services have changed a lot since then, especially consular assistance, which today is reduced to checking if countrymen are doing ok in prison.

Repatriation in emergencies, legal advice, etc. are today off-limits except if people are well-connected.

Representative functions have also been greatly reduced - today hardly any official function is worth attending, except the higher embassy functions with a very select guest list.

One of the major gripes I got with consulates is how difficult it is to get a visa for foreign friends.

I can get the visa because of status, but I don't like using it explicitly - consulates should definitely give more credit to their citizens and allow for citizens to guarantee a visa financially, for example by paying a deposit that would be lost if the beneficiary of the visa failed to return.

Edited by manarak

Most people complain because they don't know the difference between an embassy and a consulate/consular section.

I'm enticed with those who left their country because "the government is too easy on social migrants" and then get furious when they can't get a visa for their Thai girlfriend in 60 minutes no questions asked.

Let's be clear,

guests of citizens != social migrants, especially when what's needed is just a tourist visa.