Why do you live where you live in Thailand?

Cuppa

As part of our ‘dreaming’ & formulating of future plans I thought it might be useful to us (& perhaps others) to ask forum folk where you live in Thailand & the reasons for your choice.

My reading to date suggests that Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai are the most popular places/areas for ex pats, & are places with established ex-pat networks.

If you live in any of those places I’m interested in the reasons for your choice.

However I have also seen occasional mention of folk choosing to live in other ‘lesser known’ places too, & I am particularly interested in these. My wife & I are used to remote living & are not particularly interested in nightlife & partying. We would love to find a small community to become part of, somewhere where we will be known, but where we feel comfortable to be as sociable or unsociable as we choose. We tend to ‘flounder’ a bit in big towns & cities. Living in a small village type community within easy distance of a larger town with shopping & medical facilities would probably be ideal for us, but I am unsure how realistic this might be.

Do any of you live in such situations?

We would of course spend more time in Thailand prior to making any decisions about where to live. However that said we are NOT interested in becoming part of ex-pat groups who’s primary focus to maintain a little ‘enclave’ which strives to replicate ‘little island of ‘the old country’. I suspect though that learning to speak Thai is not something which we would find easy, so contact with an english speaking population is important.

Our experience in Thailand to date is *very* limited, 10 days only, 4 days in Bangkok & 6 days in the Khao Sok NP, flew down there & travelled back by train from Surat Thani. Loved it all.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Living in a small village type community within easy distance of a larger town with shopping & medical facilities would probably be ideal for us, but I am unsure how realistic this might be."

OP, it can be very realistic.

I live in a small village in rural Issan, about 45Klms from the capital of the region Khon Kaen.

Although in KK you can have the best medical and shopping facilities, locally you have the choice of 3 major hospitals, 2 Tesco's and lots of nice restaurants.

2 Swimming pools also.

No other farang lives in my village, but there are loads of farangs in other villages around and if you wish you can join their weekly meetings.

There is no night life around, but KK can offer you this entertainment.

You need a car here to go around.

As about housing, plenty around to rent.

Is that what you want?

If yes PM me for further details.

I wonder if when you say why you live where you live, if you might also tell us what area you are in (needn’t be too specific) & maybe a brief description of your community for those of us not familiar with the regions? e.g.. living in XXX, rural area populated mainly by farming/smallholder families, with a few farangs dotted around, or town, population approx xyz, with active farang community etc etc.

I would find these sort of snippets of info (& any more you might add) to be really helpful in trying to build a picture of the country & the possibilities for potentential areas to consider as places to move to.

Thanks

Cuppa

• Like 1

I live in Sena Ayutthaya , we are actually on family land and we have my wifes Mum , Sisters ,Brothers and all their family in the land and plots around us we are right out in the Paddy basically.Decent hard working people her father was a Policeman. We ended up their as when the kids were very small , 2 and 3 , I had to go to PRC to work and that is no place for a family, so she went back with the kids to Sena ans so had the support of the family. I love going home its just so peaceful and it reminds me of what I am working for. We've been there about 9 years. About an hour to hour and a half from Bangkok so if I need anything that I cannot get from the local Tesco or BIG C , its not a problem to go there , same if I fancy meeting up with some mates

OK. Khon Kaen. Foundation under Patronage HM The King. After moving first lived in center of town and last 3 years in one of the Muang hinterlands.

Where I live now is still pretty rural with not much English spoken and not many farangs around. But even in the center of town -- if you avoid the bar areas in 'Farang Gulch' -- you don't run into too many.

Edited by JLCrab

This is good stuff folks, thanks & keep it coming.

Gsxrnz - I think what you say certainly makes a great deal of sense. I’m not quite sure though what you mean by an ‘enclosed/secure village’ - the community you describe sounds attractive, just not sure what the enclosed/secure bit means. Makes me wonder if there are places where it is not safe to live?

Right off to check Jomtien on Google maps. :)

This is good stuff folks, thanks & keep it coming.

Gsxrnz - I think what you say certainly makes a great deal of sense. I’m not quite sure though what you mean by an ‘enclosed/secure village’ - the community you describe sounds attractive, just not sure what the enclosed/secure bit means. Makes me wonder if there are places where it is not safe to live?

Right off to check Jomtien on Google maps. smile.png

No, that aspect of security is not the issue. An enclosed village is what you would call a "gated community". It may be 20 or 200 houses in a closed environment with a pool, gym etc. The houses are separate with own garden and maybe a pool depending on design. You rent them fully furnished and depending on style and location may be as low as 8,000 or up to 50,000B+ per month.

There are dozens all over Pattaya, Jomtien, and surrounding districts.

I should add - these communities are not Knobsville in the UK sense. You may find your neighbour on one side is a Thai with a small retail outlet, the other neighbour is a retired company director from New Zealand/Australia/Canada/USA with a Thai wife, and across the Soi is a Norwegian/Fin/German that only lives there half the time and travels home for business the other half of the time.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

I live in Phuket, and have done for four years, where we stay is on the outskirts of a nice family beach resort, I was born by the Sea and wherever I go, I normally, end up by the sea, Our Condo has a lovely sea view, which we waken up to each day..

10 mins walk to bars, restaurants and shops... But I do have a scooter and a car, to get around.

For me personally Phuket and Thailand has it all, I have an excellent quality of life, which I would have nowhere else, have a good social life with Locals and fellow Farangs, not interested in the Bar scene etc etc, not my thing never has been..

My only negativity in Thailand is the driving, it is dangerous to say the least, but hopefully that will improve, with all that is going on..., with improvements.....

Phuket is not for everyone, which I understand, but we are all different and it works for me, I have been around Thailand and most places I have visited is not for me.....but that's Me....

Different strokes for different folks....

Wherever you decide, enjoy as life is short, and we never know what's around the corner.......

Cheers

I dont like neighbours they always end up causing problems, I got 16 rai of land about 1 mile out of the village 20km south of Hua Hin where prices are now ridiculous, I am 10 miles form the sea so can go if I want.

Paid 800k for 16 rai, not per rai its nor sor sam gor land.

I always told my Wife i must be near a Tesco so we are 4-5 miles form that in Pranburi and near enough to Hua Hin for hospitals if ever needed.

If I want foreign foods ever I can drive to Hua Hin in about 40 minutes but rarely go

No foreigners by me that I know of and havent seen any yet.

Im 3 km off the Phetkasem Road

I was born by the Sea and wherever I go, I normally, end up by the sea ... Well at least you didn't say you live by the ocean in Phuket.

Sorry you have lost me ???

Different strokes for different folks...

We are all different ...

Life is short ...

A stitch in time saves nine ...

When in Rome, roam ...

I was born by the Sea and wherever I go, I normally, end up by the sea ... Well at least you didn't say you live by the ocean in Phuket.

Sorry you have lost me ???

Different strokes for different folks...

We are all different ...

Life is short ...

A stitch in time saves nine ...

When in Rome, roam ...

Oh got you now... Enjoy the rest of your weekend....

I live in Surat Thani and the reason why is very simple, this is where my wife lives and works, why would I live anywhere else. I dont mind it, it isnt a tourist area as such which means it is not over run with farangs, another great reason to be here plus its far enough away from all the tourist areas but close enough to other places we enjoy spending time at, simple really.biggrin.png

I came to my current location for skilled volunteer Foundation work. Still here 13 years later.

Ok JL, spill your guts: Foundation as far as construction is concerned or "Foundation" rather in terms of what "Jehovas Witnesses" would consider a Foundation?

Earlier I also offered services like english-lessons in my neck of the woods, but they made it clear, that work-permit matters would be entirely up to me. Needless to say, I told them to go suck a lemon.

Otherwise my "Foundation" would be built on sand. After 13 years, I am sure your foundation rests on solid ground. Respect, well done.

Cheers.

@OP

I highly encourage you to visit and live in many places before you call a place home. Its so easy to move around. You did not state if your wife was Thai or not. It appears not based on the op. Moving and living around allows you to assess what you may or may not like about certain areas. I did this and it was the best thing I ever did. I live in Northern Thailand in a small town outside Lampang. I lived in BKK, Phetchaburi(near Cha Am), Ayutthaya, Krabi, Nakhon Sawan before that. Coupled with those places I lived I have visited many places on week long stays from north of Phuket to Chaing Mai. You gather good info. Places I avoided and have never visited are Pattaya, Phuket. There is enough info posted on the environment and living conditions there to say It would absolutely not be for the missus and I.

In the end I liked the Lampang area and the weather of the North in the mountains. My wife grew up there and after staying there for awhile we decided to go back.

If you are interested in my pros and cons of each of the areas I lived PM me. I would be glad to offer up my input.

Good Luck on your research

"Living in a small village type community within easy distance of a larger town with shopping & medical facilities would probably be ideal for us, but I am unsure how realistic this might be."

OP, it can be very realistic.

I live in a small village in rural Issan, about 45Klms from the capital of the region Khon Kaen.

Although in KK you can have the best medical and shopping facilities, locally you have the choice of 3 major hospitals, 2 Tesco's and lots of nice restaurants.

2 Swimming pools also.

No other farang lives in my village, but there are loads of farangs in other villages around and if you wish you can join their weekly meetings.

There is no night life around, but KK can offer you this entertainment.

You need a car here to go around.

As about housing, plenty around to rent.

Is that what you want?

If yes PM me for further details.

Thats why you spend your life on TV?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why?? I'd bet you got picked on a bit as a kid,

Lost me there too ??

Crabbie was going to make fun of someone who lived by the ocean in Phuket because technically it's the Andaman Sea which is by Phuket not an ocean, technically. Those are the ones who were picked on as kids.

• Like 2

Why?? I'd bet you got picked on a bit as a kid,

Lost me there too ??

Crabbie was going to make fun of someone who lived by the ocean in Phuket because technically it's the Andaman Sea which is by Phuket not an ocean, technically. Those are the ones who were picked on as kids.

Sometimes dry humor goes right over people's heads. Mine too, sometimes. I did get that one,though.

I was a small kid. If they picked on me, they only did it once.

The Foundation that I first volunteered for is a Thai Foundation under Royal Patronage. I am certified in a branch of Library Science by the US Library of Congress so when I say 'skilled' volunteer it was not for teaching English or just-helping-out

No sand involved. 10+ years ago nobody cared much about volunteer work permits -- at this place you were more likely to have lunch with the Governor than be bothered about a work permit.

Edited by JLCrab