Why do you live where you live in Thailand?

Cuppa

We live in Nakhhon Phanom. Miles from anywhere. But has Lotus, BigC, Makro, an airport..1 hour to BKK, the beautiful river Mae Nam Khong and Laos 10 minutes away across the bridge and the sea in Hue/Vietnam another hour or three.

No farang/chinese/tourists....probably should not be telling you this!! Mukdahan good , too, but has no airport!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on where you work - if you have job or can get one determines where you live - in terms of bk you need to earn quite good money to live there - Chiangmai I thing is much better as cheaper and most people know good English plus a beautiful city old and new

Bangkok, no way to anywhere else in Thailand.
I am a City Boy since birth, concrete running in my veins.
With exception of a newly established artist community, I can't stand the closed-minded mentality of rural people. Rural folks are nice to you while you are guest, but once you graduate from being a guest, you are sadly low on their pecking order because you didn't grow up there. I see talented people in rural areas who are never allowed to be who they could be because the small town mentality won't let grow beyond the label they were given as kids.
A small town is only good if don't like to particularly socialize with people and the majority of your entertainment is TV or other at home activities.
For those who wish to defend the rural area where they grew up: You're not there now, are you? That's cuz good folks leave those areas.
Bangkok isn't the cosmopolitan city I had expected/hoped it to be (the music scene is particularly disappointing) but it's good enough for me. And at the risk of getting flamed, I think Bangkok is becoming more open-minded, more creative, etc. Yes, there are some things here that contradict that, but overall, I think it is growing and not becoming more insular.
Increased cost of living can be a bummer, but I could hardly expect the world to stay cheap for my personal convenience.

We backward po' hillbilly folk just love it when you big and rich and sophistimacated city slickers come round 'ere and tell us everything we is doing wrong.

• Like 2

"Ayuttaya = Extreme flooding, infrastructure crumbling, traffic"

It floods yearly, its been once in the last 20 years anything like extreme, Infrastructure crumbling ? I dont think so, you sound a bit thick mate.

Edited by Sena Dave
  • Like 1

I too, ended up building a house on my girlfriends property in Issan, two hours west from Ubon Ratchatani and a little over an hour south of Si Sa Ket. Not many foreigners in the area and no farang food nearly. Would be nice if I was into gardening or taking care of farm animals, but I have trouble lasting two weeks before going back to Bangkok for a couple of weeks.

Negatives are the boom boom bass noise on holidays and any other excuse for a party, which can go on day and night for days. No solution no matter how much money I throw at the problem. Also power often goes out when it rains, and the diesel generator I brought has a lot of power but makes enough noise to wake the dead. Need to save up to buy a Honda. The high speed Internet I finally was able to get works well until some one cuts the wires to sell as scrap, which can take weeks to restore. The last time they gave as a wifi modem that goes to Si Sa Ket, and works pretty well but is down about half the time.

Things are getting better with a new Central Plaza in Ubon and a new KFC in Kantalak. Suppose I'll end up living here full time when I'm too old to rock and roll.

If you are like me it's important to check out frequency of the loud music before choosing an area. We bought a small plot of land with many banana trees and a small Thai style house less than a kilometer away and in a much quieter away that might be useful as a refuge some day.

I too, ended up building a house on my girlfriends property in Issan, two hours west from Ubon Ratchatani and a little over an hour south of Si Sa Ket. Not many foreigners in the area and no farang food nearly. Would be nice if I was into gardening or taking care of farm animals, but I have trouble lasting two weeks before going back to Bangkok for a couple of weeks.

Negatives are the boom boom bass noise on holidays and any other excuse for a party, which can go on day and night for days. No solution no matter how much money I throw at the problem. Also power often goes out when it rains, and the diesel generator I brought has a lot of power but makes enough noise to wake the dead. Need to save up to buy a Honda. The high speed Internet I finally was able to get works well until some one cuts the wires to sell as scrap, which can take weeks to restore. The last time they gave as a wifi modem that goes to Si Sa Ket, and works pretty well but is down about half the time.

Things are getting better with a new Central Plaza in Ubon and a new KFC in Kantalak. Suppose I'll end up living here full time when I'm too old to rock and roll.

If you are like me it's important to check out frequency of the loud music before choosing an area. We bought a small plot of land with many banana trees and a small Thai style house less than a kilometer away and in a much quieter away that might be useful as a refuge some day.

You don't sound very happy. Why not move somewhere you can thrive instead of suffering like that?

Bangkok, no way to anywhere else in Thailand.
I am a City Boy since birth, concrete running in my veins.

city boy since birth , BKK and nowhere else. andd yet you know so much about thee country people!! lol

AYJAYDEE requires a resume when stating an opinion?

I lived all over Japan for over 15 years, in rural and urban areas alike. I lived in rural India for a year and urban India for another year. I've been visiting Thailand for the last 25 years, rural and urban areas alike. And I have lived in rural and urban areas in the country of my birth. Lots of moving around in my life.

Sorry, I forgot how much people love to attack each other in this forum, I should have posted my living experience before expressing my opinion? AYJAYDEE, you are clearly speaking from a position of someone who must have more knowledge than I, andd yet you know so much about thee country, I guess? I wonder what your international and urban vs. rural living situation has been. Remember to support your position with your background, or people like yourself will just assume that you don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 1

Sincerely and honest, hand on heart, how many of us living in LOS really enjoy sitting in the middle of nowhere, no real mates, no farangs around to shoot the breeze ,,,, please be honest with yourself.

The internet,TV , Youtube vids & 6 bottles of LEO aren't a way of life

Are you there because you have to be? ,,,,

Lobber you poor disillusioned fellow. Hand on my heart I love being in the middle of nowhere as you call it (middle of Isaan actually). I have plenty of real mates with whom to “shoot the breeze” albeit not farang. The farang that I have so far met here have been totally uninteresting and uneducated people and no one I want to spend any time with.

Yes I have the internet which I use to keep in touch with family back home and to talk with not so interesting people like yourself. TV I do not have nor do I want. Youtube? What is that? And I wouldn’t drink Leo unless I was very desperate. When I “shoot the breeze” with my Thai friends it is usually with a bottle of Rice Whiskey which we drink in true Thai style with only one glass.

My days are busy working on my land (the wife’s actually) feeding and milking the cats, shearing and shagging the sheep and picking up the buffalo dung and putting on the rose bed so that my wife’s flowers smell sweet. I am here because I love it.

I bet my days are far more interesting than yours, “shooting the breeze” with a bunch of disillusioned farang who you have little in common with. Maybe you should consider going back to Farangland, then you could have many more “real mates” and maybe find some you actually have a common interest with.

So please Lobber do not make assumptions about other peoples’ lifestyle based on your own Inexperience. I would never dream of doing that about you.

• Like 1

we moved here - Chanthaburi - following my partner's career; she had several promotion options, we made three trips here before deciding 'this is the place' and now in 4th year here; last year she changed employer for a more senior accounting role and no intention/need to leave/move on.

I've been able to work here (legally, before someone goes off on a rant)

We didn't want the city so chose a place 12km out, near half-way to the beach in a town, not village, about 9,000 people.

190km from her original/family area, a convenient distance and we visit about 3x a year, plus welcome any visitors.

We're in a 'dry' town - no bars/hotels; suits us fine, and maybe a deterrent effect that explains the low foreigner numbers in the area.

Easy to travel to the city for nightlife, tame as it is compared to bigger city areas.

I love the climate - a big factor for me - from 'bronchial baby to asthmatic adult' I am medication-free over five years now.

Great stuff, only taken us 73 posts but finally we have reached "The Promised land"

we moved here - Chanthaburi - following my partner's career; ....

Great stuff, only taken us 73 posts but finally we have reached "The Promised land"

For some. We like it here. Equally there have been a few farang who moved here, poorly researched, not what they wanted at all. Few English speakers, few concessions even to English with many signs in Thai script only, no bars and all the trash aspects that accompany them . . .

Chan Immigration stats showed less then 100 long-termers in a province of 510,000 (based on 312 90-day reports made in 12 months). About half of them are Scandinavians up around Soi Dao in NE of the province, don't see many round us - maybe 6 in the wider local area.

Not for everyone. It's not perfect, but for us the pluses far outweigh any negatives. At times I work out of the country and always glad to come back here, 'home', and in the end, that's what matters, not someone else telling us whether we are happy or not.

Edited by gomangosteen

Up near Nakhon Nayok (on the edge of Khoa Yai national park). Hardly any farang, brand new Tesco for the essentials and 1.5 hours from BKK by car.

Beautiful scenery, no danger from Tsunami or flooding. It's a very popular place for Thais on the weekend (not a plus point I know).

Definitely travel around and see what you like. From the map, I planned on going near Chon Buri + Patayya but hated it.

»Our experience in Thailand to date is *very* limited, 10 days only, 4 days in Bangkok & 6 days in the Khao Sok NP, flew down there & travelled back by train from Surat Thani. Loved it all.«

Before you are getting too deep into plans, my advise shall be that you spend some more time in Thailand and get around to visit or see various places, both the well known tourist destinations, but also some more rural areas if you wish smaller community, which can also be in the vicinity of well known destination.

Do spend a week or at least some days each place to get an impression of the atmosphere and how facilities are, there is a huge difference from being a holiday guest for a couple of weeks and living on a more permanent base…

»We would love to find a small community to become part of, somewhere where we will be known, but where we feel comfortable to be as sociable or unsociable as we choose. We tend to ‘flounder’ a bit in big towns & cities. Living in a small village type community within easy distance of a larger town with shopping & medical facilities would probably be ideal for us, but I am unsure how realistic this might be.«

The great thing about Thailand is, that you can (almost) do what you want, socialize or not, if you find the right area to live in. However choosing a more rural place with fewer foreigners, like up Isaan, I think it will be difficult, if you are not having Thai relations – OP did not mention anything.

It is also (very much) a question of money, i.e. where you can afford to live. There can be huge differences in rent prices and house or condo prices, depending of the area and access to facilities. OP specific names places like “Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai”, and when looking deeper into it, you may realize that Chiang Mai & Rai may be quite affordable, whilst in Hua Hin and especially Phuket may in caparison be expensive. I would think Pattaya will not be attractive, when looking for a smaller community and no night life, but there may be very nice areas further south the coast. Bangkok, or Central Bangkok is a “big city”.

It is also a question of sea and weather. Looking at Chiang May & Rai, and rural areas up Isaan, you will be long distance from sea. Up Northern Thailand the summer, or warm period, can be very hot, for some extremely hot, and during the winter month it can be quite cold also.

»…to ask forum folk where you live in Thailand & the reasons for your choice.«

I live at a southern island, Koh Samui, in a smaller community (village). It’s a well-known tourist destination, but I am in a quiet area where I can easily choose to mingle or not with either expats or Thais – just as the Thai saying: “Up to you…!” Choosing a tourist destination gives me the benefits of easy access to shopping, hospitals, dining out, transportation or whatever I can think off – I do like nightlife, so nice having it within 15-20 min. drive – and also gives me the free choice if I wish to live a more Western life-style or Thai, or a mix of both. Furthermore close to sea and never too cold or too hot. I had been looking around Thailand before I settled here – Chiang Mai was a very good option and I loved the place, but far away from sea, and I realized both very hot and cold, even at the same time, meaning hot at day and fairly cold at nigh – other areas were out ruled for various reasons when compared to “my little island”, which is not too small. I do not regret my choice. The negative point is, that everything is a bit more expensive at tourist destinations and especially on an island – and also the property prices whatever you choose to rent or buy. However, you can find, if not cheap then affordable places to rent almost all over Thailand.

But it’s all a very personal matter and choice of life-style, so the only cleaver thing to do is, to visit as many areas that you feel can be an option or others have recommended…

Wish you good luck. smile.png

Edited by khunPer

"Living in a small village type community within easy distance of a larger town with shopping & medical facilities would probably be ideal for us, but I am unsure how realistic this might be."

OP, it can be very realistic.

I live in a small village in rural Issan, about 45Klms from the capital of the region Khon Kaen.

Although in KK you can have the best medical and shopping facilities, locally you have the choice of 3 major hospitals, 2 Tesco's and lots of nice restaurants.

2 Swimming pools also.

No other farang lives in my village, but there are loads of farangs in other villages around and if you wish you can join their weekly meetings.

There is no night life around, but KK can offer you this entertainment.

You need a car here to go around.

As about housing, plenty around to rent.

Is that what you want?

If yes PM me for further details.

Yeah that's sounds good!! Been to KK twice, liked it there.. How much to rent a small simple house around there???

"Living in a small village type community within easy distance of a larger town with shopping & medical facilities would probably be ideal for us, but I am unsure how realistic this might be."

OP, it can be very realistic.

I live in a small village in rural Issan, about 45Klms from the capital of the region Khon Kaen.

Although in KK you can have the best medical and shopping facilities, locally you have the choice of 3 major hospitals, 2 Tesco's and lots of nice restaurants.

2 Swimming pools also.

No other farang lives in my village, but there are loads of farangs in other villages around and if you wish you can join their weekly meetings.

There is no night life around, but KK can offer you this entertainment.

You need a car here to go around.

As about housing, plenty around to rent.

Is that what you want?

If yes PM me for further details.

Yeah that's sounds good!! Been to KK twice, liked it there.. How much to rent a small simple house around there???

No idea.

But I can ask the wife, to ask around and I'll let you know.

Once again, thank you to all who have replied to my OP & shared your thoughts. My wife & I are blown away by the number of responses & your generosity in sharing them. Thank you particularly to the folk who have exchanged PM’s & emails with me.

One thing in particular runs through many of your posts & is certainly advice we intend to follow - summarised as ‘try before you buy’.

We are thinking that for us the best option will be for us to obtain O-A ‘retirement visas whilst still here in Australia & to then fly over to Thailand for a non time limited ‘holiday’ during which we will travel around, basing ourselves in different places for a month or two at a time. Between now & whenever this happens (could be a while) expect to see me posting here on the forum. It’ll be a mix of information gathering and a means of keeping the dream alive.

Regarding the division between city & country living - I guess it really is a horses for courses thing. We are country horses, but accept that the reality of jumping in feet first to a remote rural life in a country where we have no support, cannot speak the language & have little understanding of the culture would be incredibly difficult & destined for failure. In that respect I am envious of those of you who have inherited a support network to give you a sense of belonging. Clearly marrying a Thai woman for many is as much about belonging as it is about a two person relationship.

regards

Cuppa (& MrsTea).

Edited by Cuppa
  • Like 2

Blame my wife. I was happy in Pattaya, but that was sadly not to be for long.

I'm working on moving back though.

Hello

Yes I like living in Pattaya ( Naklua ) very few farang,cheap accommodation and generally some of the best weather in Thailand! As I am not into bars but I like to be out in the sun all day and lazy afternoons on the beach...(but at the moment cannot swim because of " Big Scary Jellyfish " viewers!

I like Pattaya for the variety of things you can do here 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. From Golfing to Boating to Beach Bumming, to Scuba Diving, to Bowling, to Pubbing, to Womanizing, to Tourism, to Go Cart Racing, to a McDonalds Hamburger 24 hours day, to doing nothing and staying at home, and the list goes on and on. There is virtually something for everyone here.

It is also cheaper to live here than a lot of other places and you can enjoy some of the best weather in all of Thailand here. For me, it is also close enough to visit family from time to time, but also far enough away. My Internet works pretty good here and the Satellite Cable TV is pretty good also. Plenty of shopping and many places to eat. A 7-11 within walking distance where you can stock u on Beer or Cigarettes at still a pretty good price. Hard to do better than this place, in my book.

• Like 2

uote]

For some. We like it here. Equally there have been a few farang who moved here, poorly researched, not what they wanted at all. Few English speakers, few concessions even to English with many signs in Thai script only, no bars and all the trash aspects that accompany them . . .

Chan Immigration stats showed less then 100 long-termers in a province of 510,000 (based on 312 90-day reports made in 12 months). About half of them are Scandinavians up around Soi Dao in NE of the province, don't see many round us - maybe 6 in the wider local area.

Not for everyone. It's not perfect, but for us the pluses far outweigh any negatives. At times I work out of the country and always glad to come back here, 'home', and in the end, that's what matters, not someone else telling us whether we are happy or not.

I like Chanthaburi a lot, it really is a nice province which thankfully hasn't been trashed by tourism. Some nice beaches, great country side, excellent fruits and seafood at great prices. Oh and a lovely golf course up in Soi Dao.

Why I love Chan.

1. No hawkers hookers peddlars, no time share touts ot tailors touts, no ladyboy pick pockets, no jet ski rip offs.

2. Choice of Soi Dao (nice little golf course), or the beaches at Laem Sing or Chao Lam.

3. Wild boar on the menu.

4. Breeze House has Belgium beer.

5. Clean fresh air.

6. Beautiful countryside.

7. The rain, would love to take you shopping today love, but look its pissing down, pours first beer of the day at one in the afternoon, mrs knows the day is finished.

8. The dog can go wild in the country or wear my arm out throwing sticks into the sea.

9. No tawat tourists with their ho de jour on their arm.

10. Work ethic (Vietnamese/Chinese influence?)

11. When was the last time you were in a bar in Bkk or Pattaya and met a woman from Chan working there?

12. They take pride in their appearance and house, I dont see the front yard littered with empty Leo and lao kao bottles.

13. They aint stuck up snobs, although its probably one of the most prosperous regions of the country.

Bad points.

1. Timing the return to Bkk, gawd help you if you set off at the wrong time and are stuck behind the convoy of trucks heading to Bkk loaded with their wares.

2. Lack of petrol stations on the road, military style planning is required, or just fill up before leaving.

3. Cant think of any others.

Oh yeah,LOL

4, Toady lives there.

Nakhon Phanom the same...absolutely no farang. Immigration? No need to be there at 06.00 like CM!! OK it is a bit further to the sea than Chan.......but it has Air Asia not overpriced Bangkok Air at Trat!!! Never met an NP or Mukdahan girl 'working'....City run like a model town..no litter, rubbish collected, water and electric never fail.... Fantastic food..wild boar, too!!....but Sakhon Nakhon not the same! Chan, of course has a monopoly on Durian! 2 well kept secrets!!

I dont like neighbours they always end up causing problems, I got 16 rai of land about 1 mile out of the village 20km south of Hua Hin where prices are now ridiculous, I am 10 miles form the sea so can go if I want.

Paid 800k for 16 rai, not per rai its nor sor sam gor land.

I always told my Wife i must be near a Tesco so we are 4-5 miles form that in Pranburi and near enough to Hua Hin for hospitals if ever needed.

If I want foreign foods ever I can drive to Hua Hin in about 40 minutes but rarely go

No foreigners by me that I know of and havent seen any yet.

Im 3 km off the Phetkasem Road

You must be living very near me...somwhere around Kao Kuang Village?

Though I don't have that enormous piece of land (just 1/2 rai) we still live quiet. But it is getting fuller here. There are two small resorts being built, land is being sold and I believe in 10 years time it is going to be full here as well.

But I live here, because family of my wife lives nearby and they knew of this lot, which we could get for a fair price and they would get commission.

Further it is like you said about living in this area.

Also I know enough farangs who I might see once in a few weeks... don't mind not seeing or meeting them too often.

I would never want to live in a resort or "Farang-community".... a ghetto for the rich.... We are not involved, nor have any obligation towards others. And that's the way we like to keep it.

Chiang Mai = Too much smog, air pollution.

Chiang Rai = Same problem.

Bangkok = Expensive, noisy, crime, traffic.

Issan Anywhere = Flooding, drought, extreme ignorance, greed, malfeasance, etc.

Pattaya = Sin City, high crime, drugs, gangs.

Ayuttaya = Extreme flooding, infrastructure crumbling, traffic.

Hua Hin/Cha Am = Overrated, expensive, crappy beaches.

Phuket = 1 nice beach; Nai Harn. Expensive, crime, corruption aplenty, traffic, some flooding.

Koh Samui = Isolated, expensive, crime, power failures, traffic. Nice beaches.

The far South = Muslims, bombings, murders, nice beaches, scenic at times, flooding.

Minburi/Airport area = Flooding, severe mosquito problem, swampy, traffic, expensive.

Nawamin Area = TRAFFIC, poor infrastructure, expensive, some flooding.

Rangsit area = Horrible traffic, crime, taxi ripoff, many students, cheap and expensive housing, generally smells bad.

Nakoh Sawan area = Cheaper, too far from bkk, nothing special.

Suphanburi Proper = Extreme mosquitos, seasonal flooding in main town and low areas, good roads, close to everything, can be expensive.

Don Chedi = Some flooding, mosquito problem, no major stores nearby, generally ignorant indigenous people, greedy, etc.

Kanchanburi = some flooding in low areas, has large dam that may soon collapse, many tourists, has nice mountain areas, immigration office is unfriendly, etc.

An interesting list, you have obviously travelled extensively throughout Thailand.

One question I would like to ask though, why did you say that the large dam in Kanchanburi may soon collapse? I visited it last month and it seemed quite substantial to me.

Next time you visit Cuppa, jump on a plane from Bangkok (Don Muang) to Udon Thani; about an hours flight with a number of airlines. Take the mini-bus (or limo taxi) from Udon airport to Nong Khai. Just kick around the Mekong for a few days. Don't be afraid to venture from your comfort zone.

Enjoy..

I'm in Chiang Mai though I've previously stayed in Bangkok & Pattaya like most do. I chose in Chiang Mai initially for convenience as my friend invited me and I stay in his vacant condo in the city itself, in Chang Khlan for those who know the city. Compared to Pattaya & Bangkok, I find it much more friendly, less traffic and the people are more laid back. I have friends who choose to live 14 or 15km outside the city for some solitude and because there are gated 'villages' which perhaps give them a feeling of security. Rents are cheaper outside the city, I pay 9,000 Baht for a one bedroom condo, though there are cheaper available and my friend has a big 3 bedroom bungalow with parking and gardens for the same rent. Chiang Mai is a very agricultural area which produces a large amount of Thailand's fruit & vegetables. They burn off the fields every April so for a month or so, there is a smog which hangs around due to there being no wind. That is what the nay sayers are latching onto but all my friends agree that the availability of the cheapest and freshest fruits & vegetables in what is a very beautiful area is compensation enough. Some of my friends have been here 23 years. I would urge you to check out this area among others before deciding.

Chiang Mai has:

Medical - Chiang Mai Ram Hospital as well as others

Several new malls with huge supermarkets carrying everything you could possibly need

Cinemas which my wife & I use a lot, they are clean, efficient and underused so you never have to fight for a seat

British Consulate for some of your consular needs

An historic city surrounded by a 'moat' which makes it very picturesque

A big zoo - must be seen

A variety of temples which are open to tourists

A very modern and efficient airport right in the city centre

Some very nice hotel restaurants that do special offers on buffet dinners - we meet friends weekly at one venue, many others do the same

PM me for more details if you wish.

Good luck

Edited by Andyfarquar

I live here b coz of my son and daughter small village and nice small house in 3 rai land with many mangoe tress and banana trees may be 100 forgot nice Dog with family and now planting Rice also Quite simple life with hard working and Happy

Looking for a job

having a Bachelors Degree in Law