Still dazed and confused by all the recent changes

My wife and I will be arriving in Thailand in December, and flying out two calender months (62 days) later, and I'm still not sure what my best option is with regards visa. We will be flying to Hanoi for a week or so (29 Dec to 6 Jan) a couple of weeks after we arrive, returning to Thailand for the rest of the period before we return to Europe. It seems I can get a 90 day double entry (non-O? I'm not sure about the designations) based on my marriage to a Thai from the Thai embassy in Athens for €110 (which seems a bit expensive, but obviously I'll pay if I have to), but more importantly it also means I have to courier my passport and all the papers, payment etc to the embassy from the island on which I live in the week before we travel (which then has to be couriered back to me), which I'm a tad nervous about doing. The Greek couriers are not renown for their efficiency.

So I'm wondering. Could I enter on a visa exemption, and then when I'm in Hanoi apply for a 60 day tourist visa from the Thai embassy there? Or are there other, better options? As I say above, I'm somewhat reluctant to submit my passport to the tender ministrations of a Greek courier service so close to my date of departure, so If there are other safe options, I'd prefer to use them. Would I perhaps be better going to immigration in Bangkok for an extension of stay? I'm not sure how that works. I've done it with a 60 day tourist visa in the past, but I'm not sure if it's possible with an exemption.

When we booked the tickets, I stupidly didn't think about the two months being slightly over the 60 days; and also the visa run crackdown hadn't started, so I didn't see any problems anyway - a quick hop to Lao during the latter part of our stay, I thought, and job done. The crackdown on visa runs has rather complicated the situation!

ํYou could enter on a visa exempt entry and then get single entry tourist visa at the embassy in Hanoi.

You would need your ticket to Hanoi before traveling to here or you might be denied boarding your flight without it.

If you have a problem getting your visa in Hanoi you could do another visa exempt entry to Thailand and then extend it for 30 days (new rule) at immigration (1900 baht fee).

• Like 2

Aha! Thanks for that. Yes, I've got my onward to Hanoi already. I thought that they were only giving one exemption and then that's yer lot, matey! Ok, good, that gives me two viable options, both better than sending my passport to Athens. Thanks again.

Hi Next November I am getting a double entry tourist visa my airline ticket is for 117 days of stay. Do I need to submit a ticket for my destination after my first 60 days

No, you don't.

No. Thai immigration is not asking for a ticket out of Thailand when you apply for the 30-day extension of stay.

I think there is a misunderstanding here I am getting a double entry tourist visa from London after my first 60 days I go on a visa run to Cambodia and back to Thailand for my other 60 days is this right?

No. Thai immigration is not asking for a ticket out of Thailand when you apply for the 30-day extension of stay.

I think there is a misunderstanding here I am getting a double entry tourist visa from London after my first 60 days I go on a visa run to Cambodia and back to Thailand for my other 60 days is this right?

You can, also since I think you have a Thai child you can obtain a 60 days extension at immigration with his birth certificate, and mother's documents copies.

Thai immigration will not ask you for a ticket out of Thailand when you make your second entry into Thailand with your double-entry tourist visa.

Thank you so much for the advise I am a bit confused because I just been to a nightmare for 4 months in Thailand the translation of my passport to Thai to make the birth certificate of the baby was done wrong instead of G he put a J because that's how it sounds. It's all well and dandy for Thailand but try to bring the baby to the west.I didn't notice I can't read thai and my GF is 500k away in Isan.So I went to city hall 2 times and the passport office2 times hoping they can help in Chonburi then I went to the ampur in Buriram where I made the certificate 2 times there too,everybody tell me you love the baby you falang you cannot make this but if you pay 15000 we can make for you. So I decided to leave it as it is with the J. beforeI set off to London I told my GF to go alone to city hall in Buriram city and take the baby with you. and amazingly they done it for her free of charge, Thanks again
  • Like 1

What has your second entry with your double-entry tourist visa got to do with the translation of your passport or the birth certificate of your child? If you have a question about either or both of these two cases, please start a new topic.

• Like 1

You can apply for a thirty day extension at immigrations in Thailand towards the end of your first 60 day stay. When that is about to end, do a border crossing, re-enter and get another 60 days. Could do another 30 day extension if needed. You'd end up with something a bit less than 60+30+60+30 = 180 days if your fully exploit the visa. Just make sure you do the second entry on the visa before it expires (look at the expiration date on the visa, not the hand stamps put in by immigrations).

First, there has been no changes to visas to Thailand. The changes affects extention of stay permits in Thailand, and that are no visas.

Your best option would be a double-entry tourist visa.

"The changes affects extention of stay permits in Thailand, and that are no visas."

Say what?