Songtaew prices slashed!

naboo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that price on all destinations or is it just on songthaew's on a fixed route?

If so how do you tell the difference?

The web site you gave is in Thai.

Would be nice to see it translated into English by a trained translator.

Edited by northernjohn

Perhaps there won't be so many driving round empty clogging the streets

It will probably make them more aggressive to try and get a fare.

Just when you thought the traffic couldn't get worse.

It's great news for Thais on a budget for sure.

Here is a copy of the web site and a English translation that really sucks.

ผู้ว่าเชียงใหม่เผย หลังจัดระเบียบรถสี่ล้อแดง จะลดค่าโดยสารเหลือ 10 บาท เริ่ม 1 กันยายนนี้

เมื่อ 26 สิงหาคม 57 นายสุริยะ ประสาทบัณฑิตย์ ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ ได้เปิดเผยในการแถลงข่าวประจำสัปดาห์แก่สื่อมวลชนเชียงใหม่ ว่า หลังจากที่ได้มีการจัดระเบียบรถสาธารณะมาระยะหนึ่งนั้นยังคงมีหลายปัญหาที่เกิดขึ้นและยังไม่ลงตัว ต้องค่อยแก้ไขกันไปแล้วจะดีขึ้น ที่ผ่านมาในส่วนของรถสี่ล้อแดง ของสหกรณ์นครเชียงใหม่เดินรถ จำกัด ที่มีทั้งหมด 2,700 คัน ได้เข้าร่วมโครงการรถสาธารณะประจำ 11 เส้นทาง ทั้งสิ้น 550 คัน

Source Language

Human Translation

The Chiang Mai revealed that after organized four-wheeler red will be reduced to 10 Baht fare starting September 1. When August 26 , 57, of central nervous system governor of Chiang Mai has been disclosed in the Dhurakijpundit statement for the week to the mass media, Chiang Mai after a period of organized public car, there are still many problems and has not been modified by the need to gather together, to be better, on the part of a car's Red four-wheel drive limited cooperative Chiang Mai walking with all 2,700 units. To join the program at public car route 11 total 550 units

Source Language

As I said it would be nice to get a professional opinion.

My wife tells me it is just to go around the moat and only for 6 months. Then back to what ever. I believe it is minimum for red trucks 17 baht. Not sure as I generally give 20 baht.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

I had a great bargaining session with a songtaew driver:

In my almost-fluent (5%) Thai, I said "4 baht"

he said 17 baht

I said 8, he said 12

I said 9, he said 10

I then lowered back to 3

This went on for one hour, and then I decided to walk one block north to my destination.

• Like 2

^ In Pattaya it's only 10 if you stick to a more or less fixed loop along the main roads. (Beach Road, Second Rd, Soi Bua Khao, to Jomtien, etc.)

Try going anywhere else and see what you pay. wink.png

Not only that but you have to know where to catch them and all the routes. Several times they passed me by because I was not in the special loading spot.

Giving them a special destination 200 baht seems to be the reply.whistling.gif

Or worse yet try one in Krabi.

I see still no one able to decipher the Thai post.sad.png I guess I will have to just take it for a fact that it is only artound the moat. I thought they had some other fixed rate routes but I never seem to run across them.

I see still no one able to decipher the Thai post.sad.png I guess I will have to just take it for a fact that it is only artound the moat. I thought they had some other fixed rate routes but I never seem to run across them.

learn to read Thai and stop expecting other people to go to great lengths just for you.

you better watch out------ someone will do a little chant and dance and you will get arthur-itis in youse fingers....

How much should i pay from Chinatown by the river to Nong Chom ,Sansai ? I usually give B30 ,which they seem happy with but maybe i am over paying ?

It was 17 Baht from where you described - all the way to Mae Jo University, but you can't get the songtaews there anymore. You have to walk over to Kaeo Narawat and catch one there as they kicked out all the songtaews from Kad Luang. Only red ones can stop for 1 minute to pick up passengers going into the city, no more parking there.

Probably still 17 Baht.

Not only that but you have to know where to catch them and all the routes. Several times they passed me by because I was not in the special loading spot.

Read: completely awkward spot where it's totally impossible to stop safely, and/or while still be able to catch a u-turn, green light, etc. ;)

(There are no special loading spots. Just sane places to come to a stop, and less sane ones)

And then some are just rented out or otherwise not on duty.

Read: completely awkward spot where it's totally impossible to stop safely, and/or while still be able to catch a u-turn, green light, etc. wink.png

(There are no special loading spots. Just sane places to come to a stop, and less sane ones)

And then some are just rented out or otherwise not on duty.

I have had experience of standing where they could pick me up and have them go right on by to a spot a couple of hundred feet down the road. Major stop on number 2 road to go to Jomtiean. They line up for you there. Try catching one going up central road between the beach drive and number 2 road can't be done. Must cross number 2 road and there is a stop there. All this in just a few short visits there. Must be many more examples.

Have been told if you know all the routes and stops it is easy. As a very infrequent visitor I don't and have no intention of going back there. the baht busses have nothing to do with that decision.

Read: completely awkward spot where it's totally impossible to stop safely, and/or while still be able to catch a u-turn, green light, etc. wink.png

Has a selor EVER given thought to stopping safely? Or signal a turn?

• Like 1

Whatever I pay them I don't care because they have a far better attitude than those tuk tuk drivers who are like Mafia ,

When I want to go from Arcade bus station to Chang Puek bus station number 1, I never pay more than 40 to 50 baht on a red songthaew while the tuk tuk drivers have demanded 150 baht for the same tripgiggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

I wish the Governor would impose some pollution emission standards on the songteaw and tuk tuks as well as training on how to use their turn signals...

And to stop at traffic lights.

Was just up at the Chiang Mai Gate, traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing, 15 odd people crossing, the Songteaw never slowed down on the red...and it's far from the first time.

Thankfully everyone knows when crossing to watch to avoid the red light ignoring traffic.

What I'd like to know is if there is some kind of government program to fund for the drivers and make up for the difference, or that it's incredible political silliness (and/or payback for drivers supporting the 'wrong' party) and they actually expect drivers to walk away from half of their income.

If the former then I'll move to paying 10 baht too. If the latter then I'll stick to 20.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1