Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I lucky I don't have to live frugally.

Wednesday off to Brussels for 2 weeks and then on to Montreal for an other two weeks.

I know where to buy food and how to cook.

I will visit a few restaurants, a tenderloin opposite Leuven railway station, buffet Vichy in La Salle Montreal and an excellent Greek restaurant somewhere Av du Parc.

Just getting away from the hot rainy weather here for one month, October will be cooler here.

Please people make sure you have a good job, make good money and retire with sufficient income to avoid having to live frugally.

I don' care how expensive the USA, Europe or Thailand is.

Seriously, food court and food stall is ok occasionally, I just had an excellent kao pad Kai for lunch, my little 3,5 young girl kung wun sen and my gf pad pak luam, 2 comes and 1 soda, paid 150 baht, but each and every day, no thanks.

Yes you are lucky. So am I, but I don't come to this forum, arrogantly "gloating" about it. Count your blessings,......if you're humble enough to be thankful, for your good fortune. I am, however, a bit curious, as to what your "high-horse trip" is all about, anyway? Huh? How often have I met blowhard ahas, like you, since 1942coffee1.gif

Help me understand your last line, Do you base the quality of your meal on how much you spend? Some of my best meals have come at a very low cost in Thailand and some of the worst meals my wife and I have had in the US were the most high priced.

While I agree that you should plan accordingly financially that does not mean you piss it away on over priced anything. I happen to love my 30 baht guidio plus all my wife's cooking. I especially enjoy going to the market early with my wife and picking out the food from the people we know. I know where my pork comes from, I know who raises the chickens I buy, I know the farm my veggies come from. I watch my OJ being fresh squeezed. Here in the US, that is not possible. You buy it all prepackaged, processed and sold by Safeway, Luckys, Ralphs, Costco, etc. And if you want "Organic" better dig deep into your wallet and even then you don't know what you are getting.

Frugal is a nice way to live IMHO

My point being is I understand where the OP is coming from. Its painful to return

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I don't mind you sniping me but get it right. I didn't compare Thailand with Manhattan. Sundrenched did that.

I wrote, "My dollar goes 6 times further here. I'm just telling you about me. I didn't say anything about you. I spent $120,000 in the States for the same lifestyle I'm spending $20,000 for here. "

You wrote, "You are not comparing apples to apples." And then you link an article that mentions Detroit and St Louis. There is not a town in Thailand that is even close to being as bad as Detroit and/or St Louis.

You wrote......on the left.

THAILAND

• Half-gallon of milk - $1.95 - I don't know I don't drink milk.
  • Monthly rent - $708 New 2000 sq ft home by the beach $363. Taxes? Insurance?
  • Home price - $202,539 - New 2000 sq ft home $39,000
  • Gallon of gas - $3.373 1 liter $1.00
  • Haircut - $12.54 - $1.81
  • Movie ticket - $8.50 $3.00
  • Bottle of wine - $6.32 I don't drink.

Price of new home construction in USA? $200 Thailand $35.

I'm not snipping. Apologies if you interpreted it that way. I've been here for many years and am from the US. Sorry, but impossible to compare a 120k USD per year lifestyle in the US with a 20k USD one here. Apples and oranges. It'd be easy to compare that same spread in the US. Malibu to Gulf Shores.

Again, I've been here for years. Unless you are in the middle of nowhere, you'll never get a 185SqM home here by the beach for 10k Baht per month. And if you do, it will be extremely basic. Same with the purchase price. My 200SqM house here is 10 times what you are quoting, and it's 1/2 KM from the beach. Just like in the US, you can go from one extreme to the other very easily. Depends on where you live, and the quality you desire. Compare beach properties in Malibu to beach properties in Alabama. Huge difference. Need to compare apples to apples.

There is not a 6x difference in prices if you came apples to apples. And believe me, I do this on a regular basis. I love Thailand, but back home has lots of advantages also. Just depends on what you are looking for!

wai2.gif

Snipe not snip. I did not compare anything. You did not read what I wrote for the second time.

I wrote, "My dollar goes 6 times further here. I'm just telling you about me. I didn't say anything about you. I spent $120,000 in the States for the same lifestyle I'm spending $20,000 for here. "

How on earth could you compare anything? You don't know me. In the States I lived on the Gulf of Mexico and now I live on the Gulf of Thailand.

My lot on the Gulf of Mexico cost more than my land and house on the Gulf of Thailand.

Corrections, 1. I didn't write 10k baht. I didn't write 2000 sq M.

I wrote $363 per month for a new 2000 sq ft home by the beach.

I'm not telling you that you will get the same millage I get. I got here the first time in 1968.

All I'm saying is what I said the first time, "I spent $120,000 in the States for the same lifestyle I'm spending $20,000 for here. " I didn't say anything about you or anybody else.

But for discussion sake what do you think new construction costs are in Thailand as opposed to the USA?

Edited by thailiketoo

I know exactly what you mean, re: the cost of living differences. But, I'm also 5-years in Thailand, and getting quite bored with the sameness. No Salsa rhythm, music or dance, in Thailand. So where to next for you? Just curious.coffee1.gif

I love Thailand. Some issues here, but overall, it's a great place to live. I do miss things like salsa, tapas, tango, jazz, etc. But if you go to countries with this, you'll miss out on all that Thailand has to offer. A tough choice!!!

No easy answers. Other than have lots of money so you can travel around and enjoy it all! Which I don't. sad.png

-snip-

Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA.

Including the land in your own name?

I believe you are mixing up two different issues. 1. Construction. 2. Ownership. If you want to talk about ownership fine but that is not what I asked about, so talk about it with someone else.

I have worked out my own home ownership issues and will tell you how to work out yours for money - not for free.

To repeat my question was, " Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA?"

How big of a house? Full blown American kitchen? 2 Western bathrooms? 2 car garage with garage door opener?

Central aircon?

Or a shitty Thai house?

You can't compare a real Western house with safe water and sanitary sewer plumbed to a municipal sewage treatment plant, underground utilities, you own the land with no tricks, etc. etc. to a 1.2 million baht piece of Thai shit with no land.

Not to mention that the home owner does not own the land he built on in Thailand.

I've built custom homes in Calif. ....last one was in the year 2000 ....cost $200/sq ft not including school fee, electric company set up fee, water hook up fee, sewage hook up fee, architectual and enigneering fees, and city planning and approval fees ($65,000).

I am building a custom boutique resort now......5 one bedroom suites and 1 studio suite (done to a higher standard than in the west.....double insulated concrete walls with 2 inch form inside, double 12mm pane glass windows, 1000's of square feet of absolutely beautiful granite tiles and slabs and all have a small built in kitchen!)........Cost ....$35/ a square ft with water, electric, architect, engineering, and city approval fees for only 30,000 Baht.

That's just one example of Thailand being cheaper! .....although as said before, other areas of Thailand are more expensive (cars for example)...

Do you get more bang for your buck in Thailand .....I think so!

Gimme a break.

1. You can't own the land so everything is at risk. If I see one more farang on here telling me he can build xxx cheaper in LOS I think I'm gonna puke.

2. Let's do a net ROI analysis on this deal as if you were Thai and could own it. How much would the nightly rent be in LOS compared to California?

Including the land in your own name?

I believe you are mixing up two different issues. 1. Construction. 2. Ownership. If you want to talk about ownership fine but that is not what I asked about, so talk about it with someone else.

I have worked out my own home ownership issues and will tell you how to work out yours for money - not for free.

To repeat my question was, " Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA?"

How big of a house? Full blown American kitchen? 2 Western bathrooms? 2 car garage with garage door opener?

Central aircon?

Or a shitty Thai house?

You can't compare a real Western house with safe water and sanitary sewer plumbed to a municipal sewage treatment plant, underground utilities, you own the land with no tricks, etc. etc. to a 1.2 million baht piece of Thai shit with no land.

Not to mention that the home owner does not own the land he built on in Thailand.

That is a different topic now isn't it? Home construction costs? Home ownership? Two different issues.

Never sure (not belittling Thais of course refers to a Thai home as, "1.2 million baht piece of Thai shit." He is a class poster and would never 11) ..... post overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations,......

If you want to discuss home ownership there are many topics that do just that. I was asking the other poster to compare construction costs between America and Thailand. He can't seem to do that.

OP you lived in thailand did you work in thailand and earn thai wages?

Because of the exchange rates between the USD and bht the costs would seem much cheaper for you.

I got by on about 40,000-50,000 baht a month from my internet biz. I had TONS of money for fun. There was never a dull night. I lived like a Thai and blew the rest on vice. Could never do that here.

It was "entertainment", now "vice" crazy.gif

There is no comparing a US built house to a Thai one. US built by skilled craftsmen. Inspected to ensure building codes are followed and met. Thai house built by Burmese unskilled laborers which include, pregnant women, children and teenagers that should be in school. Thai houses are the biggest POS builds I have ever seen in my life. Crap from the foundation to the very top. And a house on the beach for $39000? I cry BS on that. Another big difference in prices....a new US built house is ready to move in. A Thai house has no kitchen absolutely nothing but bare walls.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I suppose each have their shortcomings. At least when I pay tax in the states I feel there is something to show for it though. If a crazy motherfer came to my house and tried to kill me, at least some well trained people would come and take care of it to the best of their ability.

It also makes me feel better to know I am supporting businesses who outcompete others on price and or service. Here, it is like a bunch of old rich dudes somewhere just set the price to whatever they feel like, without competition from anywhere. I hate to support that.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who make bad choices in life or try to figure out a shortcut to avoid education or career come to LOS to live Thai native existence. When they get a little long in the tooth and are not marketable, or too lazy, or they need to move back to their home countries for whatever reason then the excuses and crying start. " My home country is full of morons or whatever. Everything is too expensive. The food is processed, Everything I try to buy is made in China..etc. etc. etc."

Why don't you just look in the mirror and figured out how you F*cked up your life that you need to live in a third world country as cheaply as possible in order to survive.

Im sure you get little pity from people who worked 9 to 5 and built up a retirement or work to get ahead in a career. They don't take shortcuts and when they want to holiday or if they want to retire to Thailand or whatever, they have a nest egg, insurance, etc. and can live like a first-worlder.

And wait til I'm 60+ years old to start living? No thanks. I have watched my father work 60 hour work weeks in America. He was never able to take any vacations. Fine if you want that kind of life but not me.

FYI, I am educated and have my own small internet biz which provides me with a decent middle class income in Thailand. In America we get maybe 2-3 weeks vacation per year at our jobs if we're lucky. That is why you never see Americans traveling abroad. And if you do they are usually old because nobody else has enough time to live or travel abroad. I made the decision to sacrifice money for a life. If you don't like it, tough. I will live my life as I please thank you very much.

You are not living a decent middle class income as a THAI if you need to eat somtom or moo ping from the 30 baht cart on the soi. I know guys in LOS with the internet biz, buying cheap crap and trying to sell it for a profit. No different from the young girls at the night market or outside the BTS stations in the evening selling trinkets, except you sit behind a desk.

You should smarten up and stop taking short cuts to success. In 20 years (and believe me it comes quick), you will be one of those bitter expats we run across in LOS, complaining about everything while buying their beer from the Family Mart or nursing one beer at the beer bar for hours.

There is not a lonelier person in Thailand than an old farang with little or no money.

I do wish you success, but I want to caution you also, there really are no shortcuts. If you have to retire back to the US, you will be sittiing at the mall with all the other old guys with nothing to do. If you retire in thailand with not much of an income, it will be worse.

• Like 2

I don't mind you sniping me but get it right. I didn't compare Thailand with Manhattan. Sundrenched did that.

You wrote, "You are not comparing apples to apples." And then you link an article that mentions Detroit and St Louis. There is not a town in Thailand that is even close to being as bad as Detroit and/or St Louis.

THAILAND

I'm not snipping. Apologies if you interpreted it that way. I've been here for many years and am from the US. Sorry, but impossible to compare a 120k USD per year lifestyle in the US with a 20k USD one here. Apples and oranges. It'd be easy to compare that same spread in the US. Malibu to Gulf Shores.

Again, I've been here for years. Unless you are in the middle of nowhere, you'll never get a 185SqM home here by the beach for 10k Baht per month. And if you do, it will be extremely basic. Same with the purchase price. My 200SqM house here is 10 times what you are quoting, and it's 1/2 KM from the beach. Just like in the US, you can go from one extreme to the other very easily. Depends on where you live, and the quality you desire. Compare beach properties in Malibu to beach properties in Alabama. Huge difference. Need to compare apples to apples.

There is not a 6x difference in prices if you came apples to apples. And believe me, I do this on a regular basis. I love Thailand, but back home has lots of advantages also. Just depends on what you are looking for!

wai2.gif

Snipe not snip. I did not compare anything. You did not read what I wrote for the second time.

How on earth could you compare anything? You don't know me. In the States I lived on the Gulf of Mexico and now I live on the Gulf of Thailand.

My lot on the Gulf of Mexico cost more than my land and house on the Gulf of Thailand.

I'm not telling you that you will get the same millage I get. I got here the first time in 1968.

All I'm saying is what I said the first time, "I spent $120,000 in the States for the same lifestyle I'm spending $20,000 for here. " I didn't say anything about you or anybody else.

But for discussion sake what do you think new construction costs are in Thailand as opposed to the USA?

No doubt, the cinder-block/cement facing constructed homes of Thailand, are definitely the better, long-lasting value, comparatively. Assuming that you can actually find "competent" construction techs, in Thailand, with an honest, and scrupulous "Theravada" work ethic, lasting long enough to get the job (accurately) completed,.....according to the contract. That phenomenal achievement, is a monumental undertaking in Thailand, @ any price.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I do wish you success, but I want to caution you also, there really are no shortcuts. If you have to retire back to the US, you will be sittiing at the mall with all the other old guys with nothing to do. If you retire in thailand with not much of an income, it will be worse.

Not everyone needs money to give them something to do.

I'm happy to go running or cycling, if I ever lose my health reading a book is good too.

Come to think of it, watching girls go by in a Mall isn't all that bad either.

• Like 1

There is no comparing a US built house to a Thai one. US built by skilled craftsmen. Inspected to ensure building codes are followed and met. Thai house built by Burmese unskilled laborers which include, pregnant women, children and teenagers that should be in school. Thai houses are the biggest POS builds I have ever seen in my life. Crap from the foundation to the very top. And a house on the beach for $39000? I cry BS on that. Another big difference in prices....a new US built house is ready to move in. A Thai house has no kitchen absolutely nothing but bare walls.

Skilled craftsman = illegal Mexicans.

If a US builder comes to Thailand and builds a house or an airport it is the same as the US builder building the house or airport in the USA. Home pro is very much like Home depot. I didn't say on the beach. I said by the beach. I live close to the beach above the floodplain. I have a kitchen with stove and cook tops and kitchen cabinets even a grease trap.

THAILAND

wai2.gif

"I wrote, "My dollar goes 6 times further here. I'm just telling you about me. I didn't say anything about you. I spent $120,000 in the States for the same lifestyle I'm spending $20,000 for here. ""

I. Flat. Out. Do. Not. Believe. You.

That's impossibly ridiculous. Of course you won't share your "secrets" because they aren't true, and I don't want to hear the BS anyway.

End of.

New point: Even if you spent $120k in Thailand you'd still have 3rd world filth, litter, rats, lack of sanitation... No amount of money can replace the USA with Thailand.

• Like 1

I suppose each have their shortcomings. At least when I pay tax in the states I feel there is something to show for it though. If a crazy motherfer came to my house and tried to kill me, at least some well trained people would come and take care of it to the best of their ability.

It also makes me feel better to know I am supporting businesses who outcompete others on price and or service. Here, it is like a bunch of old rich dudes somewhere just set the price to whatever they feel like, without competition from anywhere. I hate to support that.

For the highest-priority crimes, Detroit police take about 58 minutes, on average, to answer 911 calls.

St Louis, "We had to call 911 three times before we got a response vehicle there,” she said. “When they arrived, officers came with guns drawn. They questioned the homeowners about how long they’ve lived in the house; if it was under their name, and asked me what happened. I said ‘I was shot,’ obviously.’”

Bernard Lawrence "Bernie" Madoff born April 29, 1938) is an American convicted of fraud and a former stockbroker, investment advisor, and financier. He is the former non-executive chairman of the NASDAQ stock marketand the admitted operator of a Ponzi scheme that is considered to be the largest financial fraud in U.S. history

If a US builder comes to Thailand and builds a house or an airport it is the same as the US builder building the house or airport in the USA. Home pro is very much like Home depot. I didn't say on the beach. I said by the beach. I live close to the beach above the floodplain. I have a kitchen with stove and cook tops and kitchen cabinets even a grease trap.

Home Pro is full of junk Chinese products. Again no comparison with Home depot not even slightest. I cant even begin to get into all the flaws with the Burmese workers and building. It would take up way too much time and effort. Suffice to say they are terrible. Foundations incorrectly poured, not a level in use anywhere, building extra floors on buildings that were not originally built for them. Brand new house with foundations, floors, walls cracking before they are sold. Electrical wiring that 8th grade shop students can do better at. Its just plain junk! But like everything here, you get what you pay for. Just dont compare quality of Thailand and US. Its not comparable. You want to live in a cheap place you will get what you pay for.

I'm going to take a wild guess here......either you never built anything or you know nothing about building.

As someone who has built custom homes in the US and am now building here in THailand I can emphatically say you are WRONG!w00t.gif

Quality homes can be built. I am in the process of building now and am only using topline specs .....#16 steel (in place of #12) ....320 concrete premix delivered (in place of the workers mixing on site) .....12 mm double pane windows (Thai's use 6-8mm single pane).....double wall construction with foam insulation.....granite tile thruout....etc.

Cost $35 sq ft. vs $200 and UP in the US (basic materials.....Labor WAY more expensive in US)

I will concede that many of the homes (if not most) are crap and built the cheapest way possible......That's why I am building myself and supervising EVERYTHING...to make sure it gets done right....thumbsup.gif

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

Maybe your house is being done to some kind of standard and sounds like you have it being done correctly But, Thai construction/building is done to no standards what so ever. The only standard is NO standard. Its whatever level of expertise the Burmese people have. Its crap work with no inspections anywhere. Dont try to sugarcoat the building here. I know better :)

• Like 1

Home Pro is full of junk Chinese products. Again no comparison with Home depot not even slightest. I cant even begin to get into all the flaws with the Burmese workers and building. It would take up way too much time and effort. Suffice to say they are terrible. Foundations incorrectly poured, not a level in use anywhere, building extra floors on buildings that were not originally built for them. Brand new house with foundations, floors, walls cracking before they are sold. Electrical wiring that 8th grade shop students can do better at. Its just plain junk! But like everything here, you get what you pay for. Just dont compare quality of Thailand and US. Its not comparable. You want to live in a cheap place you will get what you pay for.

I'm going to take a wild guess here......either you never built anything or you know nothing about building.

As someone who has built custom homes in the US and am now building here in THailand I can emphatically say you are WRONG!w00t.gif

Quality homes can be built. I am in the process of building now and am only using topline specs .....#16 steel (in place of #12) ....320 concrete premix delivered (in place of the workers mixing on site) .....12 mm double pane windows (Thai's use 6-8mm single pane).....double wall construction with foam insulation.....granite tile thruout....etc.

Cost $35 sq ft. vs $200 and UP in the US (basic materials.....Labor WAY more expensive in US)

I will concede that many of the homes (if not most) are crap and built the cheapest way possible......That's why I am building myself and supervising EVERYTHING...to make sure it gets done right....thumbsup.gif

So let me guess this straight. A new 2,000 sqft home in the USA using top notch materials will cost a minimum of $400,000 for materials before labor costs and land costs?

This is interesting since everything of quality in Thailand costs more than the USA but I guess building materials are an exception since you are saying the same top notch materials are 83% cheaper in Thailand than the USA.

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 2

You'll get used to it. I went to live in Sydney after 20 years in Thailand and was aghast at first. After a few months, the high prices became the "new normal". I had to work a lot harder, but got used to it and indeed enjoyed it after a while.

So let me guess this straight. A new 2,000 sqft home in the USA using top notch materials will cost a minimum of $400,000 for materials before labor costs and land costs?

Nice try....but your math is right. Cost of building is going to be VERY dependant on WHERE you build. I built in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Carlos, Belmont Redwood city area).

And the $400,000 dollar figure includes materials, labor costs and Pre build costs (Architect fess, Engineering fees, Water Hookup, Electric Hookup, Permits,School fess etc...which go for minumum $50,000)

Edited by beachproperty

This is interesting since everything of quality in Thailand costs more than the USA but I guess building materials are an exception since you are saying the same top notch materials are 83% cheaper in Thailand than the USA.

First off .....building sytles very different.....

USA...STick build (lumber) Thailand (concrete frame with block infill)

Labor....USA....$50 to $100 hr depending on the profession Thailand ....500 baht a day for the skilled laborers and 300 Baht a day for grunt laborers

So Don't really use the same materials....Increase in costs mainly attributable to Labor.......NIce try though

Edited by beachproperty