Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

So are you staying or still looking at USA or Cambodia?

I miss driving a good car and the Atlantic Ocean beaches after 25 years in Beverly Hills and Marina Del Rey CA

and 9 years in Thailand.

PATTAYA is a sewer compared to beaches in FL.

Crime is everywhere but in FL I can carry a weapon. In Thailand only Thais can.

Originally, I moved to Thailand because I liked what it had to offer, because it meant I could retire here much earlier than if I had stayed in the U.S., and because life is meant for having new and different experiences.

Through the years, there have been times when I wondered if Thailand would spiral down so much as to make continued living here unacceptable, or perhaps the government would change its Immigration policies in ways to force expats out. But so far, neither of those things have happened.

I lived my whole life in California before moving here, much of it not far from BH and MDR. So, I think I can give Thailand some more time and more of a chance... smile.png After all, I think of it as my adopted home and my family is here -- even if the Thai government doesn't exactly look at it the same way.

As for the beaches, I'd never swim in the water off Pattaya or anywhere like it. When I was a kid, I used to swim in the waters around Santa Monica Bay. But these days, I'm not sure I'd want to swim there either!!!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wrote, "I think there are merits to both sides of the argument" What is the argument?

Perhaps I could also have said, both sides of the DEBATE that is clearly being waged here, on the merits of returning back to the U.S. vs. staying in Thailand, or in the similar fashion, living in the U.S. vs. living in Thailand.

I've already voted with my feet. After 40+ years in the U.S., I opted for a change of life and lifestyle. Thus far, I'm hanging in with my choice and decision. As for the future, I could see myself staying here for the rest of my days. Or, if things change really for the worse, I could see myself returning.

I think I've been around enough and kept my eyes open enough to see the good and the bad aspects of both places. I was relatively happy with my U.S. life before I moved, and I'm relatively happy with my current life here. Let's see what the future holds.

• Like 1

I moved to thailand for work then I lost my job and decided to stay here instead to lose face in Europe and be unemployed for months or even years.

Not only this, I m just upset at what become Western countries , a condo of 40 sqm in London cost near 1 million dollars just for 4 miserable walls and a roof. F... Them !

If I had 1 million dollars (I would certainly NOT come back as 1 million dollar in thailand is like 8 millions in UK or 5 millions in USA and on top of that you have to pay 40 to 70 % of tax! )

Actually this thread OP is about the US vs Thailand costs. It isn't about Europe.

I know taxes and prices are over the top in Europe, Australia and Canada but that's not the point.

I do wonder sometimes if the Thai defending posters are subconsciously comparing their W. countries with Thailand instead of the US vs Thailand.

As an American I get sticker shock for prices when I go to Thailand. I can't believe what consumer items - some of it crap made in China or fake knockoffs - cost. I agree rents are cheaper in Thailand but not that much if one lives in rural USA which is still 1st world.

The guys going to Thailand and dumping 4 million baht into a house in a village could just as well have bought a nice house in the US, and it would have included the land in their names.

Do you have 1.6 - 2.4 million baht to spend on a house, and don't want to dump it into a village in Isaan where you can't own the land? Then put it into one of these where you will own the land, and you won't have any rent to pay.

-snip- Their garbage collection bills and power bills would make your eyes water compared to here.

It's not the garbage collection in the US. It's the safe, proper handling of the garbage after they pick it up that costs money.

There's a news item running here right now about how horrid and polluting, even of ground water not to mention air, that the landfills are in Thailand.

In the US all would be sorted into recyclables, much would be burned cleanly, and what couldn't be burned would be put into an engineered landfill that was sealed so it couldn't leak into ground water. As new garbage was put into it it would immediately be covered by earth to assure no air pollution or fires.

Have you seen a velocity separator? I'll bet Thailand hasn't.

Power bills. First, the Thai government subsidizes them meaning you pay for them somewhere else, perhaps in the price of cheese or VAT or import taxes or other taxes. Next the people up North such as near Lampang are getting blasted with pollution from coal burning. In the US all the would come out of the "smoke stacks" would be steam.

If you want to pay 3rd world prices and live literally in filth that's hazardous to your health, up to you. I don't think you're living like a Thai in the US or your costs would be similar. I'm convince the US is the cheapest 1st world country there is to live in. Maybe by a wide marg

the american energy companies pollute: from fracking and spills to coal burning plants

I think there are merits to both sides of the argument, but for me, it comes down to this:

For the average person, what's their largest monthly expenditures:

Housing, less expensive in Thailand.

Health insurance & medical care, less expensive in Thailand

Various utilities and public services, less expensive in Thailand

Transportation, in the U.S., you pretty much need a car and insurance. In BKK, Pattaya and other places, you can do fine entirely without owning a car.

Women, less expensive in Thailand... wink.png

So for me, just strictly in financial terms, Thailand is clearly less expensive in the overall sense of things, even though certain things like imported food-drink, electronics, etc are more expensive here than in the U.S. But for most people, those more expensive things likely don't offset all the other relative financial savings in other areas.

Now, APART from finances, quality is a different issue. The food and water and air quality in Thailand are probably worse on average than in the U.S. Customer service worse in Thailand overall. Lack of legal rights and protections, worse in Thailand. Etc etc etc. But ability to lead a slower, more relaxed life, probably better in Thailand.

It all comes down to a balancing act, and making and accepting tradeoffs between different things.

So are you staying or still looking at USA or Cambodia?

I miss driving a good car and the Atlantic Ocean beaches after 25 years in Beverly Hills and Marina Del Rey CA

and 9 years in Thailand.

PATTAYA is a sewer compared to beaches in FL.

Crime is everywhere but in FL I can carry a weapon. In Thailand only Thais can.

25 years in Beverly Hills and Marina Del Rey CA????????? Kinda of a LONG drive to the Atlantic Ocean beaches!w00t.gif

• Like 1

Sticker shock, yes that's believable. However, when reading through the posts in this thread I think of all my American friend's who have taken their Thai wives back to the states and helped them to get Green cards over there. Many of these women really like being American. I wonder how they perceive the sticker shock?

• Like 1

The loony tune fellows are out in mass in this thread. Average family income in Maryland is $5830 per month. In Thailand the average family income is $769 per month. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the rest.

In Thailand on American Social Security one lives way above the average family in America way below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

http://web.nso.go.th/

median family income

Actually this thread OP is about the US vs Thailand costs. It isn't about Europe.

I know taxes and prices are over the top in Europe, Australia and Canada but that's not the point.

I do wonder sometimes if the Thai defending posters are subconsciously comparing their W. countries with Thailand instead of the US vs Thailand.

As an American I get sticker shock for prices when I go to Thailand. I can't believe what consumer items - some of it crap made in China or fake knockoffs - cost. I agree rents are cheaper in Thailand but not that much if one lives in rural USA which is still 1st world.

The guys going to Thailand and dumping 4 million baht into a house in a village could just as well have bought a nice house in the US, and it would have included the land in their names.

Do you have 1.6 - 2.4 million baht to spend on a house, and don't want to dump it into a village in Isaan where you can't own the land? Then put it into one of these where you will own the land, and you won't have any rent to pay.

You have never lived in Thailand. Why would you care where or how some old punter spends his money?

Do you have a house full of laughing young Thai women where you live cooking you breakfast right now?

Do you think old men come to Thailand for investment opportunities?

I did an informal survey the last time I was in Salem OR. I asked 100 single men if I gave them a house and 4 young women would they retire to Thailand and 99% said yes.

I don't know why you are onto this ownership thing. You can't own your wife and yet many people still get married. Why is that?

I gave three women houses in the USA. Do you really think a man can own a house and be married?

• Like 2

The loony tune fellows are out in mass in this thread. Average family income in Maryland is $5830 per month. In Thailand the average family income is $769 per month. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure the rest.

In Thailand on American Social Security one lives way above the average family in America way below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

http://web.nso.go.th/

median family income

Ya. The whole thing is about keeping up with your neighbors. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King. In Thailand an old guy on Social Security is at the top of the village pecking order as determined by money and at the bottom in America. I make enough of a pension to have been able to find a decent middle class woman to marry in Thailand. In Maryland I would have been at a loss for companionship.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Amazing USA

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1918-Rock-Cut-Pl-Conley-GA-30288/35768784_zpid/

Valued at $115,000 in 2006, valued at $51,000 today, asking price $75,000.

And it looks like a really nice house on 1/3 acre of woodland and lawn.

In the UK, this house would be $250,000 in the cheapest area, more like $400,000.

Germany more, France a little less, Spain you couldn't give it away.

Of course, in the West, there are heaps of taxes every year, and if you have a woman living with you, you no longer own the place (she does).

One thing as Americans we learn a long time ago that any deal that looks to good to be true, 9 times out of 10 it is. While I did not go to that link how long has it been on the market?

My argument stands If they are such good deals in such nice neighborhoods why aren't people buying them or the expats back on a plane to buy them up.? If they went and looked at them they would probably find they are either in a ghetto, need a ton of work, are manufactured homes or trailer made to look like a house and can't be financed, Neighbors are a bit scary, way removed from any neighboring cities, drug and violence is high, in a senior citizen community or built right by an airport, freeway, train line or huge factory.

They are low price for a reason.

And again, in America you never own the land, the government does. You pay property tax until you die. Don't pay and watch the state lien notifications start with threats of taking it plus the compounded interest on the unpaid balance as it accrues. I know this factually as my Grandmother started missing payments and the letters starting coming in and the interest started. We caught it in time but she had racked up $10,000 bill in just a few short years.

Come on.... jump into the big US swimming pool, the water is just fine...really...trust me. I'm a real estate agent...LOL!!!!

• Like 1

Sticker shock, yes that's believable. However, when reading through the posts in this thread I think of all my American friend's who have taken their Thai wives back to the states and helped them to get Green cards over there. Many of these women really like being American. I wonder how they perceive the sticker shock?

My wife is one of those greencarded up Thai wife here in the states. She loves it but hates it more. I posted her sentiments back on page 4 or 5.

• Like 1

My wife is one of those greencarded up Thai wife here in the states. She loves it but hates it more. I posted her sentiments back on page 4 or 5.

Thanks, your post was here. Plenty of good observations are in there, most notably the fact that one cannot own property in the USA. The government can and will tax it right out from under your feet. I do not pay any property taxes on any of the land my Thai son's own where I'm living now in Thailand.

There was also an interesting thread a few weeks ago with a topic of "Where is the best place to repatriate in the USA" ... or something close to that. I know some American expats who have reached 70+ years of age and decided to repatriate for Medicare, and veterans benefits among other things. Oregon, Nevada, and Florida seem to be the most popular places.

Thanks, your post was here. Plenty of good observations are in there, most notably the fact that one cannot own property in the USA. The government can and will tax it right out from under your feet. I do not pay any property taxes on any of the land my Thai son's own where I'm living now in Thailand.

There was also an interesting thread a few weeks ago with a topic of "Where is the best place to repatriate in the USA" ... or something close to that. I know some American expats who have reached 70+ years of age and decided to repatriate for Medicare, and veterans benefits among other things. Oregon, Nevada, and Florida seem to be the most popular places.

Bigger property taxes are coming here. It's being seriously discussed. For a house of $100,000, in some states, your yearly tax bill would be about $1,000. More in some states, less in others. And tax deductible. That property tax goes towards filling holes in the roads, hiding ugly wires underground, hiring proper police, providing free schooling, etc. Not a bad trade off. IMHO, worth the price.

We've got some land in Issan and a house also. We pay property taxes on both. Not much, but you still have to pay tax here.

Amazing USA

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1918-Rock-Cut-Pl-Conley-GA-30288/35768784_zpid/

In the UK, this house would be $250,000 in the cheapest area, more like $400,000.

Of course, in the West, there are heaps of taxes every year, and if you have a woman living with you, you no longer own the place (she does).

One thing as Americans we learn a long time ago that any deal that looks to good to be true, 9 times out of 10 it is. While I did not go to that link how long has it been on the market?

My argument stands If they are such good deals in such nice neighborhoods why aren't people buying them or the expats back on a plane to buy them up.? If they went and looked at them they would probably find they are either in a ghetto, need a ton of work, are manufactured homes or trailer made to look like a house and can't be financed, Neighbors are a bit scary, way removed from any neighboring cities, drug and violence is high, in a senior citizen community or built right by an airport, freeway, train line or huge factory.

And again, in America you never own the land, the government does. You pay property tax until you die. Don't pay and watch the state lien notifications start with threats of taking it plus the compounded interest on the unpaid balance as it accrues. I know this factually as my Grandmother started missing payments and the letters starting coming in and the interest started. We caught it in time but she had racked up $10,000 bill in just a few short years.

Come on.... jump into the big US swimming pool, the water is just fine...really...trust me. I'm a real estate agent...LOL!!!!

If you are not going to pay somebody in the US, I will say without hesitation that it should not be the US govt. Pay them first, and every one else later, and you should be just fine.

Those tax laws vary from state to state, some more reasonable than others. Some states the tax is based on when the property was purchased, which is a great situation to be in if you have a house that's been in the family.

I agree with you to some extent, the govt's message is pretty clear imo...... they pretty much don't allow people to just sit around, grow their own food, and do nothing. They force you to have some income at the very least so they can tax that too :)

• Like 1

Amazing USA

So much for being from the Greatest Country in The World; the land of the free, and the (ahem) brave? whistling.gif .

VA benefits are great until you apply for them.

Despite rosy platitudes from President Obama on Veterans Day, more than 700,000 former servicemen and women remain waiting for medical benefits owed to them because of a backlogged system that takes an average of 300 days to navigate.

Even when VA offices do process claims, they make many mistakes and erroneous decisions that frustrate veterans and their families.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/12/despite-obamas-rosy-assessment-veterans-still-wait/?page=all

I don't know why you are onto this ownership thing. You can't own your wife and yet many people still get married. Why is that?

I gave three women houses in the USA. Do you really think a man can own a house and be married?

Jesus H Christ, man, most men aren't stupid enough to believe that getting married equates to ownership of a woman.

This isn't the Dark Ages, mate; they get married for - among other things - love and procreation.

As to your second question, if a man has had the foresight to organise a pre-nuptial agreement then, yes sir, I believe he can.

Jesus H Christ, man, most men aren't stupid enough to believe that getting married equates to ownership of a woman.

This isn't the Dark Ages, mate; they get married for - among other things - love and procreation.

As to your second question, if a man has had the foresight to organise a pre-nuptial agreement then, yes sir, I believe he can.

Most adults know that married people think they own one another. I won't argue it with you as it's obvious you have never been married and divorced and seen the transition from angel to ....... Check with Rupert for confirmation.

Neversure the poster I was writing to always brings up the ownership issue when it dawns on him that the average family in the USA makes 10 times more the average Thai family.

Ownership has nothing with the cost of things in Thailand vs America. Nothing. A house or a rented apartment does not cost more if a couple is married or single or alone.

Rent or buy it's the same; it costs a lot more in America. It costs a lot more to take yourself or a lady out for dinner and a movie.

You can marry a nice lady in Thailand without owning an auto. Try that in the USA.cheesy.gif

I was actually thinking of going home. I miss the U.S., but I have it too good here. I loved my city, Philadelphia, and have many memories. I don't think that exists anymore. Living expenses are one thing, but look at what's going on there and elsewhere in the world. I feel "locked up tight. and out of range" here. I think we could survive a nuclear war. I still don't understand what those "terrorists" with hand-grenades were doing here. It seems like a police-state there, and the dollar scares me.

Edited by Shotime
  • Like 1

I have a lot of totally opposite complaints about the US.

My biggest one is employment history. If you have gaps in your employment history, you are a goner in job interviews. Every one knows this too, so it's like we're all a society of these robots who are forbidden to ever take any time off.

That is by far my number one complaint.... the fact that employers don't see a free mind and free will as an asset. And I mean of course gaps in employment can be a very good indicator of things they want to avoid, but my point is just they rely on this WAY WAY too heavily.

It is just kind of a screwed up system where the more robotic you are, the more you win. It is the same here, but worse I would say. Here, robots are rewarded too, but you don't even have to be an effective robot here. In the US it is at least the talented robots who rise.

My biggest one is employment history. If you have gaps in your employment history, you are a goner in job interviews. Every one knows this too, so it's like we're all a society of these robots who are forbidden to ever take any time off.

That is by far my number one complaint.... the fact that employers don't see a free mind and free will as an asset. And I mean of course gaps in employment can be a very good indicator of things they want to avoid, but my point is just they rely on this WAY WAY too heavily.

It is just kind of a screwed up system where the more robotic you are, the more you win. It is the same here, but worse I would say. Here, robots are rewarded too, but you don't even have to be an effective robot here. In the US it is at least the talented robots who rise.

In HR parlance it's called "Career Trajectory". I've got a 20+ year gap in my trajectory and am unemployable. It's like I have a big tattoo on my forehead in bright red bold letters that states, "NOT A SLAVE". They won't have me.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

In HR parlance it's called "Career Trajectory". I've got a 20+ year gap in my trajectory and am unemployable. It's like I have a big tattoo on my forehead in bright red bold letters that states, "NOT A SLAVE". They won't have me.

The thing that really astonishes me are the people that are slaves, yet they still get it.......

"I see you weren't working for 3 months back in June through August in 2012, can you explain that gap for us"

"I had been working diligently for xyz company back then, and doing very well. I decided to take my savings and do a trip around the world when I was still young enough to be able. One of the most enlightening experiences of my life, and I think my exposure to all the different cultures on this trip could be of great benefit to this company...."

"Ahh, thank you, we'll get back to you."

Over 45, nobody wants to employ you anyway.

Your choices,

Run your own business, retire, or die.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

USA is cheap you can get houses for $1.00 each in Detroit , where else in the world can you do that ?? alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif>

Rotherham

Mogadishu

Beirut

Chernobyl

• Like 2

USA is cheap you can get houses for $1.00 each in Detroit , where else in the world can you do that ?? clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

How bad is it? For the highest-priority crimes, Detroit police take about 58 minutes, on average, to answer 911 calls.

And what happens after police arrive is just as disappointing: The department has an 8.7% rate of solving cases.

Any you thought Thailand cops were bad?

• Like 2