Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

I do pity the guys forced to live in a 'room' for 5k p/m. Eat lunch and dinners at 40b stalls or Tesco-Lotat food courts.

With that little money, moving back to the states to work and live poorly while saving would surely be a better option.

I pity the retired pensioners who have to live like that and have almost no choice.

That "room" in most cases would cost 2-5x in the US. Those small savings add up. I never had to have a car in Thailand. I usually walked or took baht buses. Healthcare also saved me money. Not to mention the savings on nightlife. In the US, I could live on 50,000 p/m but I would live like crap to say the least.

You "pity" us but it is the workaholics tethered to their jobs in America that I pity.

Edited by zierf1
  • Like 2

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind the $$$$$ costs wait until you see how sour the attitudes of the people has gotten in the last 5-6 years......the place has gone from optomistic to despair......

That - to me is a much higher cost LOS it is not.....

Well, that does not surprise me in the least. People in the States have a valid reason for despair.

But then, where I'm living now, there is also much despair. People are committing suicide left and right, including a guy who set himself on fire. Houses are being closed up and people are moving into the city to try and find work, or live with relatives. In the last few months here, a lot of folks have opened up take away food in front of their homes, trying to supplement their incomes.

Face it, everyone, things are getting bad all over. You can run, but you can't hide.

• Like 1

So we can conclude that while here, you lived wholly like a Thai?

No cheese or wine? No single malts or cream cheese? No Doritos? No rib-eyes? No bacon and sausage for breakfast? No tacos or burritos? All of which are still cheaper in the States.

Living "frugally" can be quite a yawn inducing existence.

I understand your sentiments, but me, I'm not interested in "getting by." I'd rather work hard and play hard. I've got five years here non-stop myself, and can't wait to go back, both to work at a very nice salary, and to eat, eat, eat.

It's all relevant.

And to add,

No computer, smartphone or Hi-fi gear, all much cheaper in the USA.

No bicycles, cars or m/cs, all cheaper in the USA.

What about fruit juice, that has to be cheaper than Thailand.

Apples and oranges, way more expensive in Thailand.

So we can conclude that while here, you lived wholly like a Thai?

No cheese or wine? No single malts or cream cheese? No Doritos? No rib-eyes? No bacon and sausage for breakfast? No tacos or burritos? All of which are still cheaper in the States.

Living "frugally" can be quite a yawn inducing existence.

I understand your sentiments, but me, I'm not interested in "getting by." I'd rather work hard and play hard. I've got five years here non-stop myself, and can't wait to go back, both to work at a very nice salary, and to eat, eat, eat.

It's all relevant.

And to add,

No computer, smartphone or Hi-fi gear, all much cheaper in the USA.

No bicycles, cars or m/cs, all cheaper in the USA.

What about fruit juice, that has to be cheaper than Thailand.

Apples and oranges, way more expensive in Thailand.

Yep, and if it breaks, you take it back to Walmart (or anywhere else) and they exchange it. Many of us here have had poor experiences with warranties. They are generally a waste of time.

When I started coming here, I bought a MacBook Pro in the States. Visited Thailand for a month without being able to connect to the internet. I took it back in to the Apple Store. No hesitation. No hassle. They exchanged it six weeks from purchase date. That one had a problem, too, and a week later they exchanged that one.

• Like 1

Pity eh? The kind of cappiciano my wife drinks is 120 baht at Starbucks, 90 baht at MacDonald's or 50 baht at the Thai coffee shop at the end of our street.

35bht for an iced Latte at my local coffee shop in CM (free wifi too).

Why pay more?

Because you'll get man boobs, like Costas.

1/2 a million people live in Vancouver. 10 million NYC or 4 million in LA. Vancouver is a small town by USA standards.

you havent answered my question, and comparatively the population if LA is smaller than Bangkok and the population of Tokyo, is bigger than NY by a long stretch so what ?

Cost of living is the discussion, not size of population in a specific city

-snip- Their garbage collection bills and power bills would make your eyes water compared to here.

It's not the garbage collection in the US. It's the safe, proper handling of the garbage after they pick it up that costs money.

There's a news item running here right now about how horrid and polluting, even of ground water not to mention air, that the landfills are in Thailand.

In the US all would be sorted into recyclables, much would be burned cleanly, and what couldn't be burned would be put into an engineered landfill that was sealed so it couldn't leak into ground water. As new garbage was put into it it would immediately be covered by earth to assure no air pollution or fires.

Have you seen a velocity separator? I'll bet Thailand hasn't.

Power bills. First, the Thai government subsidizes them meaning you pay for them somewhere else, perhaps in the price of cheese or VAT or import taxes or other taxes. Next the people up North such as near Lampang are getting blasted with pollution from coal burning. In the US all the would come out of the "smoke stacks" would be steam.

If you want to pay 3rd world prices and live literally in filth that's hazardous to your health, up to you. I don't think you're living like a Thai in the US or your costs would be similar. I'm convince the US is the cheapest 1st world country there is to live in. Maybe by a wide margin.

That might change... http://news.yahoo.com/thailand-totters-towards-waste-crisis-041321001.html

When I arrived here in 2009, ground beef at Villa was 160 baht per kilo. Now it's what, 250?

Not many Thais eating beef, Buddha doesn't like you eating beef.

Which makes it an imported foreigner food, so expensive.

Mooslums eat beef.

Okay, well, my noodle soup here in Rhek Thum just went up to 45 baht. It was 30 2-1/2 years ago. That's a fifty percent jump.

EDIT: And Villa gets its Thai/French beef right here in LOS.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

The OP of course wants to live on meals a Bht30 a time - well of course they are not available in the US and to be honest Bht30 meals in Thailand are at the bottom of Thailand's food prices - Read crap ingredients.

I would dispute this,

Kow Soi Gai at Maya Mall food court today, 40bht (chicken leg and noodles)

Grapow Gai at my local eating place tonight, 30bht (all I can eat, rice and chicken breast)

The chicken used in both dishes comes from Makro, same quality as everywhere else in town.

The difference in prices between Thailand and the USA is mainly labor costs.

Cook it yourself at home and it's the same price.

The OP of course wants to live on meals a Bht30 a time - well of course they are not available in the US and to be honest Bht30 meals in Thailand are at the bottom of Thailand's food prices - Read crap ingredients.

I would dispute this,

Grapow Gai at my local eating place tonight, 30bht (all I can eat, rice and chicken breast)

The chicken used in both dishes comes from Makro, same quality as everywhere else in town.

Well only one of those meals is BHt30 and almost certainly cooked with Palm Oil - Not something I'd recommend living on.

I would dispute this,

Yes but what oil are they cooking/frying with on these stalls? My guess is palm oil which is the cheapest & least healthy.

Yes but what oil are they cooking/frying with on these stalls? My guess is palm oil which is the cheapest & least healthy.

If you're trying to live your life in Thailand without consuming Palm Oil, you would drive yourself crazy.

It's used in every cooked item where shortening is used.

Cakes, biscuits, pies, fast food, all based around Palm Oil.

Bread too, if they grease the bread tin.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I would dispute this,

Cow men guy and steamed spring rolls and many more. No frying. No crap ingredients. No oil.

post-187908-0-47051700-1409566338_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

If you're trying to live your life in Thailand without consuming Palm Oil, you would drive yourself crazy.

I didn't say I was trying to avoid it. Just stating why stall food is cheap as they generally use the cheapest/crappiest ingredients.

Yep, the earning potential far exceeds any additional costs.

The OP is 33 and likes to have fun. That's up to him, and I'm not criticizing his decision to screw around in Thailand for five years. Not my business, until he posts here.

But when I, and my buddies, were 33, we had 12 years into a career with only 7 to go with a vested pension. We spent our younger years preparing for our older. A lot of my friends are double-dippers. Put in their twenty, then started over again. One of my best friends has two more years, and at 60 he'll have two pensions totally close to $190,000 per year. Our houses are paid for. We have liquid investments.

The OP made his bed, but now he gripes at what things cost.

If you are a hard worker, and wise with money, and stay positive (ignore the media), the US is still one of the best places in the world to make and save money. And that money, with equal wisdom, will go a lot farther than it does here.

The largest part of most budgets is housing and Thailand is half or less than half of what is spent in the USA on housing.

There is no way around it. Housing is cheaper in Thailand. The only possible argument is the old chestnut about owning. If you want to get into that argument again go ahead but it's been done a thousand times on Thai visa and is not relative to cost. Cost is cost. Ownership issues are a separate issue.

Cow men Guy with top quality ingredients 35 baht. New house good construction close to the beach $50,000.

First class bus fare; AC and hostess $20 to almost anywhere. Taxi 30 miles $10. Dressing changed on a 20 stitch wound by a doctor in a sterile environment $3.00. Take stitches out $10.

Night out dancing with 3 young women all you can drink and eat $140 (dancing, I said dancing now get your minds out of the gutter. Dancing is not illegal in Thailand or the West.)

Fresh oysters on the half shell at Bourbon House Restaurant, New Orleans: $12. Any of the fresh-brewed (36) Abita beers: $3.

I own my house (didn't just pay for it), haven't ridden a bus since 1974, and take out my own sutures with my teeth.

post-160749-0-68919200-1409566853_thumb.

I didn't say I was trying to avoid it. Just stating why stall food is cheap as they generally use the cheapest/crappiest ingredients.

Everywhere in the world uses the cheapest crappiest ingredients.

Unless you cook all your own stuff at home, from scratch, that's what you are served.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Yep, the earning potential far exceeds any additional costs.

The OP is 33 and likes to have fun. That's up to him, and I'm not criticizing his decision to screw around in Thailand for five years. Not my business, until he posts here.

But when I, and my buddies, were 33, we had 12 years into a career with only 7 to go with a vested pension. We spent our younger years preparing for our older. A lot of my friends are double-dippers. Put in their twenty, then started over again. One of my best friends has two more years, and at 60 he'll have two pensions totally close to $190,000 per year. Our houses are paid for. We have liquid investments.

The OP made his bed, but now he gripes at what things cost.

If you are a hard worker, and wise with money, and stay positive (ignore the media), the US is still one of the best places in the world to make and save money. And that money, with equal wisdom, will go a lot farther than it does here.

The largest part of most budgets is housing and Thailand is half or less than half of what is spent in the USA on housing.

There is no way around it. Housing is cheaper in Thailand. The only possible argument is the old chestnut about owning. If you want to get into that argument again go ahead but it's been done a thousand times on Thai visa and is not relative to cost. Cost is cost. Ownership issues are a separate issue.

cheesy.gif

Yes there is no way around it - Housing costs are important.

That's why so many expats are able to afford to live in Thailand in the first place, they had access to mortgages, bought property, paid down the debt and came out with a profit (Negative cost) - In many cases this turned out to be a substantial profit tongue.png

The OP is in his 30s, this path to future financial security is all but closed to him in Thailand.

But he can buy a meal for Bht30.

Yep, bought my first house when I was 16, paid $14,000, my dad co-signing and teaching me about credit. I had it for 15 years, mostly renting it out. Then I sold it for $186,000.

I still own three houses. All are paid for and generate an income. This was possible in part due to what you said, mortgages, but also due to an excellent real estate system in the States. Something that does not exist here.

Oh, yeah, and hard work at a young age.