Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

This has been a really damn good thread. Everybody up to this point has been civil and posting very fair assessments of life in the US whether some of us are here now or the guys who exited and why.

We each have our own reasons for wanting to exit the US. There are most definitely some common denominators with all of us. This thread reminded me of why I want to exit. Bottom line for me: If I stay I absolutely have to work with virtually no end in sight to sustain my cost of living. Other option is exit and relax. I ran through some numbers last night and If was to stop working today in the US my liquid reserves would last me appx 5 years and that's if I planned on doing very little to nothing which with my hyper make up would send me to a loony hospital where they would put me in a straight jacket in a round rubber room and tell me to pee in the corner. 5 years and I am flat broke and homeless unless I want to start dipping into my IRA but I would have to pay steep tax penalties or I could borrow from my own IRA and have to pay it back to avoid those taxes..How does that one work? Borrow my own money and pay it back when I likely could not find a job?. Scary thought in many regards. If I was to live through that broke period 2 years later I can access my IRA taking up to $25,000 a year tax free. But by then...sheeesh I am in debt, living like a pauper. Plus $25,000 a year here is nothing. $2,000 a month in the US. LOL!!!!. But if I can hold on just a bit more at 62.5 I can apply for SS. Whew, my income nearly doubled now.....well for a little while anyway until my IRA is gone and than its pure SS. Now in Thailand its completely the different. My current reserves will last me 10-12 years not counting my IRA or SS. All of those become additional incomes streams are a bonus. But the beauty is I have a home and nice truck in a nice quiet suburb in north Thailand paid for. Nobosy is going to come knocking looking for rent or threatening to evict me. The SS which would barely allow me to survive in the US allows me to live quite well. The math just works and in the end I am just happier and living stress free in Thailand.

So my last comment to this thread;

I understand both sides of the fence with the posters in this thread and why they left and why some think about moving back. There are compelling reasons on both sides.There are guys who see houses for dirt cheap and say "Its cheaper in the US why buy in Isaan?". Well I agree but in Isaan(btw not all foreigners live in Isaan FWIIW) once you buy you are done for the most part where as here when you buy you still have to live and to live is what eats up your reserves. Plus those low costs homes as I posted here in the US are in areas most would never want to live besides the fact your EGO would be severely pounded as your family would see how it all worked out for you. I mean we all have our own personal pride to consider. I also think age has a lot to do with it. I have been working since I was 9 whether on the farm where I grew up as a kid or out in the manufacturing sector after college. I want off the hamster wheel. I did not chose Thailand because of a woman. I had been working under a company umbrella for quite a few years and unlike the Philippines and China I liked Thailand. Most was driven by the low cost easy to use public transportation, low cost housing, the fact you can drive a scooter to the market virtually everyday because the weather is nice, I wanted away from consumerism USA, I love virtually all Thai food, the people and the weather. So I decided to make a go of it. I did my research, plotted out a spreadsheet, did a comparison (Pros and Cons) and the math absolutely favors a better easier life in Thailand and would allow me to quit working and go travel, see things, hike, ride my moto and relax. No more 10-12 hr days sitting in meetings listening to corporate clowns drone on and on about gross margins and "lets transfer this to India ot where ever" because we can exploit low cost labor. So it just makes sense for me and where I am in my life. Adding to that a few years ago I met a nice gal and we decided to make a go of it. Who knows what the future holds but maybe that's the exciting part about it.

Also one element I think we all tend to forget is for us US folks we know what the US has to offer. We are slaves to its systems. Its boring and quite predictable, In many ways we have to much and this in itself causes issues. Its to easy to fall into debt, its to easy to live outside your means but we are sucked into the game. Virtually impossible to avoid. Human nature says if we see somebody with something we like we want to have it too.

I will close by saying I am not burning a bridge and will always have a path back to the US should something arise. I do not hate the place, just do not want to live it anymore. Time for something new and refreshing. Something to get me off the sheeple wagon. As I have said before, you make it what it is. If you think the US is the best and Thailand is a 3rd world dump then you will most definitely regret your decision and if you are in Thailand now and feel that and have no way back your going to be terribly uncomfortable because you are trapped. I cant wait for my work deal to end here. It is month to month for me. My contract is over and I am staying on for the time being but only until our new house is finished.

Again, good thread.

Have you thought of being a writer?

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their internet alone is almost 4 times the price for 1/3rd of the speed. Their garbage collection bills and power bills would make your eyes water compared to here.

I keep a home in both countries. My internet in the US is cheaper than what I pay in Thailand, it is much, much faster, and far more reliable.

• Like 2

As I posted before, I maintain two homes, one in Thailand, one in the US.

Both homes cost me about the same. The one in the US is three times the size as my Thai home and much, much better made. My US car was far less expensive and cost less to drive than my Thai cars. Western food is far better quality and cheaper. Customer service is far better, and when I need to hire someone for something, they do a better job. Traffic is reasonable. Television and internet are better, both in quality and choice (price is similar even if it is slightly less in the US.) Medical care is better. After just buying a new television and laptop today, they are cheaper than in Thailand. Food variety is much greater (as in food from different cuisines.)

In Thailand, "cheap" food is much, much cheaper. While I can eat in the US for $2, it is not nearly as good as a 30 baht lunch. Medical care is much, much cheaper. I don't go out much at night, but it is cheaper in Thailand. Hotels are cheaper. A maid does not cost an arm and a leg. For where I live in the US, I actually like the Thai weather better.

Overall, I spend slightly more in the US per month than when I am in Thailand, but my standard of living is higher, too. I could live much cheaper in Thailand if I wished, but I won't live like that, and that does drive up my Thai costs.

My point is that there are things "better" in one country, other things better in the other country. I like both, and I try to enjoy the best of both worlds when I am in each place.

but you admit you demand us style amenities in thailand.

Both homes cost me about the same. The one in the US is three times the size as my Thai home and much, much better made. My US car was far less expensive and cost less to drive than my Thai cars. Western food is far better quality and cheaper. Customer service is far better, and when I need to hire someone for something, they do a better job. Traffic is reasonable. Television and internet are better, both in quality and choice (price is similar even if it is slightly less in the US.) Medical care is better. After just buying a new television and laptop today, they are cheaper than in Thailand. Food variety is much greater (as in food from different cuisines.)

In Thailand, "cheap" food is much, much cheaper. While I can eat in the US for $2, it is not nearly as good as a 30 baht lunch. Medical care is much, much cheaper. I don't go out much at night, but it is cheaper in Thailand. Hotels are cheaper. A maid does not cost an arm and a leg. For where I live in the US, I actually like the Thai weather better.

Overall, I spend slightly more in the US per month than when I am in Thailand, but my standard of living is higher, too. I could live much cheaper in Thailand if I wished, but I won't live like that, and that does drive up my Thai costs.

My point is that there are things "better" in one country, other things better in the other country. I like both, and I try to enjoy the best of both worlds when I am in each place.

I do not live in Thailand as if I am living in the US. But yes, I do get a steak at Villa once a week, and I do buy some Western food. The television shows I watch are western, but that is the same price as if I watched Thai tv. I see a movie once a week, but there is no difference in price between a Thai and a Western movie. I do cook Western food most nights, but aside from condiments I bring from the US or Europe, a pork chop is a pork chop whether I cook it up Hawaiian style or cut it up for moo katiem. Fully half of my meat I buy at the open-air market. My appreciation of Western or non-Thai food adds very little to my expenses. Even when having Thai for dinner, if I am going to a restaurant, i tend to go to a sit-down restaurant instead of a stall.

Let's look at a typical Western meal I cook: tacos. I make my own tortillas with $0.99 corn flour I bring from the US (enough for ten meals at least.) I get pork neck at the market, then slow cook it to make carnitas. I use fresh veggies to make the garnish, guac, and salsa. I make a watermelon smoothie. So it is "foreign" food, but except for the flour I bring, everything is Thai.

If you count having cars and a house as Western, then sure, I admit to that. But I am the only Westerner in my mooban, so let's say I "demand" a middle-class Thai existence. That would be a more accurate description.

For what someone pays in the USA for car expenses ( insurance , payments ,register Etc.) I have a 24 hr. driver and car in Bangkok , called a taxi , and have a big chunk left over to pay for my condo . I would never own or want to drive a car in Bangkok . I have a choice and will never go back to the states , reading the news from the states (and laughing ) is fun .whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif Don't forget about winters in most of the states !

Edited by muffy

Actually this thread OP is about the US vs Thailand costs. It isn't about Europe.

I know taxes and prices are over the top in Europe, Australia and Canada but that's not the point.

I do wonder sometimes if the Thai defending posters are subconsciously comparing their W. countries with Thailand instead of the US vs Thailand.

As an American I get sticker shock for prices when I go to Thailand. I can't believe what consumer items - some of it crap made in China or fake knockoffs - cost. I agree rents are cheaper in Thailand but not that much if one lives in rural USA which is still 1st world.

The guys going to Thailand and dumping 4 million baht into a house in a village could just as well have bought a nice house in the US, and it would have included the land in their names.

Do you have 1.6 - 2.4 million baht to spend on a house, and don't want to dump it into a village in Isaan where you can't own the land? Then put it into one of these where you will own the land, and you won't have any rent to pay.

I don't know why you are onto this ownership thing. You can't own your wife and yet many people still get married. Why is that?

I gave three women houses in the USA. Do you really think a man can own a house and be married?

Jesus H Christ, man, most men aren't stupid enough to believe that getting married equates to ownership of a woman.

This isn't the Dark Ages, mate; they get married for - among other things - love and procreation.

As to your second question, if a man has had the foresight to organise a pre-nuptial agreement then, yes sir, I believe he can.

Most adults know that married people think they own one another. I won't argue it with you as it's obvious you have never been married and divorced and seen the transition from angel to ....... Check with Rupert for confirmation.

You can marry a nice lady in Thailand without owning an auto. Try that in the USA.cheesy.gif

I don't need to have been married to know that no union translates to ownership of another person and, whaddaya know, my married friends echo that sentiment.

Married twice or thrice; divorced twice or thrice; Tell me . . . why would anyone listen to a word you have to say about women?

Who cares about fast internet.? Yes it s nice to Google fast but really does it change your life.? . It s like some guys who buy iPhone 5s after the 5 just to get 0.1 second faster or to brag about it.

Well, I care, and I think most people care.

When I am at work, and I need to wait a minute for a simple e-mail to load, well, multiple that by 50 times a day, and it wastes a lot of time. More importantly, though, with my lifestyle, I watch streaming movies and sports. With slow internet speeds, the quality is horrible if they can be watched at all. I have to pay for so-called high speed internet in Thailand that never reaches the advertised speed and quality suffers. In the US, the speed is blazingly fast, and I can watch any video feed I want, even on my 50-inch television.

Even if you seem to decry what others have posted here, that is simply a matter of choice. You may not want to watch tv, you may not want a fast internet speed. No problem with that. But I would hazard a guess that most Westerners living in Thailand want both of those.

I am in the US at the moment, and it is almost 1:00 PM. When I am at the factory in Thailand, our lunches are great. Today, I didn't want to go out, so I fixed a tuna sandwich. Nothing wrong with that, and it was fine. However, I kept thinking about moo katiem, pasaiew, snow peas and mushrooms, and kaijeaw moosap, my favorite lunch combo. When I am in Thailand, I miss some things from the States. When I am in the States, I miss some things from Thailand. That's just the way it is.

• Like 1

I call it Western style living .

I can tell you that I do. I didn't work hard all of my life just to go to a 3rd world country and live on 30,000 baht per month.

So who does that? I have a family income of over 100,000 a month and I think most of the posters to this thread are the same and we don't live alone in a rainy cold country bothered by ethic minorities and needing to carry a gun to feel safe on Saturday nights.

I've lived in Oregon and Thailand; both places for over ten years and Thailand is better for me.

BTW I don't post on survivalist sites of the Pacific North West to constantly try and convince folks there to come to Thailand.

My wife works for a first world multinational company. I have health care at a first world hospital. I shop at a first world mall and go to movies at a first world movie theater and eat at first world restaurants any time I want.

I worked hard all my life to get out of the American Midwestern rust belt to an exotic place of my dreams where I lived when I was a young man.

• Like 1

I do not live in Thailand as if I am living in the US. But yes, I do get a steak at Villa once a week, and I do buy some Western food. The television shows I watch are western, but that is the same price as if I watched Thai tv. I see a movie once a week, but there is no difference in price between a Thai and a Western movie. I do cook Western food most nights, but aside from condiments I bring from the US or Europe, a pork chop is a pork chop whether I cook it up Hawaiian style or cut it up for moo katiem. Fully half of my meat I buy at the open-air market. My appreciation of Western or non-Thai food adds very little to my expenses. Even when having Thai for dinner, if I am going to a restaurant, i tend to go to a sit-down restaurant instead of a stall.

Let's look at a typical Western meal I cook: tacos. I make my own tortillas with $0.99 corn flour I bring from the US (enough for ten meals at least.) I get pork neck at the market, then slow cook it to make carnitas. I use fresh veggies to make the garnish, guac, and salsa. I make a watermelon smoothie. So it is "foreign" food, but except for the flour I bring, everything is Thai.

If you count having cars and a house as Western, then sure, I admit to that. But I am the only Westerner in my mooban, so let's say I "demand" a middle-class Thai existence. That would be a more accurate description.

we all have cars and houses and our cost of living is far less than in the west. if yours isnt, someone is ripping u off

• Like 1

Most adults know that married people think they own one another. I won't argue it with you as it's obvious you have never been married and divorced and seen the transition from angel to ....... Check with Rupert for confirmation.

Neversure the poster I was writing to always brings up the ownership issue when it dawns on him that the average family in the USA makes 10 times more the average Thai family.

Ownership has nothing with the cost of things in Thailand vs America. Nothing. A house or a rented apartment does not cost more if a couple is married or single or alone.

Rent or buy it's the same; it costs a lot more in America. It costs a lot more to take yourself or a lady out for dinner and a movie.

You can marry a nice lady in Thailand without owning an auto. Try that in the USA.cheesy.gif

I lived in the US for years without a car. Never had a problem finding a date, and didn't want to get married.

Neversure the poster I was writing to always brings up the ownership issue when it dawns on him that the average family in the USA makes 10 times more the average Thai family.

Ownership has nothing with the cost of things in Thailand vs America. Nothing. A house or a rented apartment does not cost more if a couple is married or single or alone.

Rent or buy it's the same; it costs a lot more in America. It costs a lot more to take yourself or a lady out for dinner and a movie.

I lived in the US for years without a car. Never had a problem finding a date, and didn't want to get married.

In my experience that would only be in NYC or Chicago with Chicago a maybe. LA no way and 90% of the USA no way.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Excellent post. Some move here because they are just tired of the US. It really has nothing to do with costs, just their personal desires. And will spin the decision in that direction. Which is fine.

You lay out some great facts here. Each location has it's own pros and cons. Some things here are great, some aren't. Some things in the US are great, some aren't. But if you have limited income, like the OP, then it's easier to live cheap here. Something many of us don't want to do. As somebody mentioned above, some didn't come here to live like a Thai. No disrespect intended. But many do live here very cheaply and have a very good life. Nothing wrong with that.

But to bash one country or another just to support your decision is not right. IMHO.

I agree with you. I live here quite well. It trips my trigger when some untraveled person is allowed to write, " If you want to pay 3rd world prices and live literally in filth that's hazardous to your health," It's just not, for the most part, true and for the part that is true it can also be found in the country that that poster calls home.

Posters lying about the place they live to make it sound great and belittling the place I live to make sound awful strikes me as worthy of a counter response.

we all have cars and houses and our cost of living is far less than in the west. if yours isnt, someone is ripping u off

Hmm. My cars cost more here than in the US, and they cost more to operate. Both homes cost the same, but I have a 30 year mortgage on one at 3% interest and a 16-year mortgage on the other at 5.9% interest. Those two alone add up to spending quite a bit more in Thailand than in the US. However, as I posted, overall, I spend slightly more to live in the US than in Thailand.

Whatever you pay, you pay. I am not your bookkeeper. But I know what I pay, and no one is "ripping me off."

Cheaper yet would be to only have one home, either in the US or Thailand. But I choose to maintain two homes, even if I spend far more time in Thailand than the US.

In the words of a book worth reading "Where-ever you go, there you are."

I'm jealous of you high rollers with houses in two countries, I need to learn something to eat for 30 bt other than kiang kiao wan, and kao pat gung, somehow....

• Like 1

Yum! I'm coming over for dinner! smile.png

You're lucky to be making trips back and forth. A lot of stuff my wife uses for cooking isn't available here. And if it is, it's quite expensive. Pecans have been difficult lately. At least where we live.

Carnitas...wonderful.

I'm jealous of you high rollers with houses in two countries, I need to learn something to eat for 30 bt other than kiang kiao wan, and kao pat gung, somehow....

We earned it the hard way , we worked for it . Try it !whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

rather eat kao pat gung everyday.

i did good, before doing well , myself

We earned it the hard way , we worked for it . Try it !whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I don't know what the prices are in the States, but here are some QuickTime prices I picked off a Loblaws flier in Ontario Canada and a meal from Swiss Chalet Restaurant.

CHICKEN Breast $8 per kilo ฿240

Pork Side Ribs $11 per kilo ฿330

ButterBall Turkey $4.38 per kilo ฿132

Lean ground beef $13.21 per kilo฿396.3

T-Bone $30.84 per kilo ฿925.2

Bacon $14.64 per kilo ฿439.2

Sinus medicine $.25 per pill ฿7.5

Restaurant meal. Quarter chicken and shrimp dinner $13.99 ฿420.

I think Canada is considerably more expensive, at least than my area of Isaan.

• Like 1

I don't know what the prices are in the States, but here are some QuickTime prices I picked off a Loblaws flier in Ontario Canada and a meal from Swiss Chalet Restaurant.

It is clear that most things costs much more in Canada than in the US due to taxes.

No disrespect meant, but the thread is about the US and the US is far cheaper than Canada, the UK, or Australia due to tax structures.

As lovetotravel mentioned in an earlier post:

Apples and oranges. It'd be easy to compare that same spread in the US. Malibu to Gulf Shores.

Compare beach properties in Malibu to beach properties in Alabama. Huge difference. Need to compare apples to apples.

Having vacationed in Gulf Shores,AL many times, personally I would rather live there than Malibo,CA. For me the bad part of living in Malibu is that it is in the state of CA. Would not live there if one was to pay me. The only bad part about living on the TX/LA/MS/AL/FL gulf coast are the hurricanes. I have been to Malibu on a couple of occasions, and found it to be very nice except for the fact, that it is in CA. Being from the south, if I was ever to move back to the states, Gulf Shores would be in the running.

You said that we were not talking, apples to apples, and I would agree with you on that. For me quality of life in Malibu would be much lower, hence the apples to oranges.

shutterstock_1401103.jpg

183920686_0bcab24a69.jpeg

Edited by BillyBobThai
  • Like 1

It is clear that most things costs much more in Canada than in the US due to taxes.

No disrespect meant, but the thread is about the US and the US is far cheaper than Canada, the UK, or Australia due to tax structures.

taxes due to socialism.

coming soon to usa-the transformation will be completed soon. ca can expect higher than high taxes as they will need more than police on donkeys for deefense.

As lovetotravel mentioned in an earlier post:

Apples and oranges. It'd be easy to compare that same spread in the US. Malibu to Gulf Shores.

Compare beach properties in Malibu to beach properties in Alabama. Huge difference. Need to compare apples to apples.

Having vacationed in Gulf Shores,AL many times, personally I would rather live there than Malibo,CA. For me the bad part of living in Malibu is that it is in the state of CA. Would not live there if one was to pay me. The only bad part about living on the TX/LA/MS/AL/FL gulf coast are the hurricanes. I have been to Malibu on a couple of occasions, and found it to be very nice except for the fact, that it is in CA. Being from the south, if I was ever to move back to the states, Gulf Shores would be in the running.

You said that we were not talking, apples to apples, and I would agree with you on that. For me quality of life in Malibu would be much lower, hence the apples to oranges.

shutterstock_1401103.jpg

183920686_0bcab24a69.jpeg

Gulf Shores, aka the Redneck Riviera is one of the best kept secrets in the US. Great place. Also, the greatest quarterback in the history of football, Kenny "The Snake" Stabler, lived there, maybe still does.

Edited by mesquite

<snip. removed deleted post>

People Moving back to the States , experience sticker shock because they have being away for so long, and their income structure has not adjusted to the times .

Clearly there are things in Thailand that are less expensive than the US , housing is one, some foods is an other, but there are things in the US that are less expensive than Thailand. Cars is one that quickly comes to mind,clothing and consumer goods is an other.

But one must keep in mind that, if one has resolved his housing issue, and has taken proper steps through his or her life to insure a proper retirement income, one can retire in the US quite comfortable,

A Nice house can be had in Florida for about 4 million baht, low property taxes guarantied not to rise more than 3% per year . proper social support for the elderly. reliable internet, water,and electricity.With a retirement income of 60,000 baht one can live very nicely there.

Having said that, I should also say that we love Thailand, and we still like to spend a considerable amount of time there,

But as I get older and begin to face some of the issues associated with getting older, I am begging to also re-asses my plan to fully retire there.

A vacation home there and a few months to get my Thailand fix will suffice in my case.

• Like 1

<snip. removed deleted post>

People Moving back to the States , experience sticker shock because they have being away for so long, and their income structure has not adjusted to the times .

Clearly there are things in Thailand that are less expensive than the US , housing is one, some foods is an other, but there are things in the US that are less expensive than Thailand. Cars is one that quickly comes to mind,clothing and consumer goods is an other.

But one must keep in mind that, if one has resolved his housing issue, and has taken proper steps through his or her life to insure a proper retirement income, one can retire in the US quite comfortable,

A Nice house can be had in Florida for about 4 million baht, low property taxes guarantied not to rise more than 3% per year . proper social support for the elderly. reliable internet, water,and electricity.With a retirement income of 60,000 baht one can live very nicely there.

Having said that, I should also say that we love Thailand, and we still like to spend a considerable amount of time there,

But as I get older and begin to face some of the issues associated with getting older, I am begging to also re-asses my plan to fully retire there.

A vacation home there and a few months to get my Thailand fix will suffice in my case.

You might want to re evaluate your information on property taxes in Florida with a look at the "Homestead Exemption."