Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

-snip-

On Edit @ Neversure. Who wants to live with roommates later in life to save money? I would prefer to live with my wife alone. Roommates are a liability. It was great back in my college days but.... To each his own.

That was a last minute suggestion for someone who owned a house but couldn't really afford to live in it. Social Security payments are based on how much one earned in the last 20 years before retirement. A person with a modest Social Security check but a paid for house might find this an option.

A reverse mortgage would be another option. Both together would be options. There's always a way.

Sorry, misunderstood your post.biggrin.png thought you would like to do that. Yes there are absolutely ways to make it work here if ones drive is to come back.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No flippin' way that house is in North Point near Fishermans Wharf...constrution is wrong as well as the skyline for SF's oldest area....look more Arizona construction but might be somewhere in the Sacramento valley area....the plants, soil, building is all wrong for SF... .an apartment in NP will run you 4,000 USD.rent.....maybe Vallejo you can find something of you like risking your life by going outside....and that would be at 2x the $60,000 example house minimum...

Is Vallejo still that way? I was there 40 years ago and it was that way then.

Yes - there's a triangle of cities Vallejo, Oakland, & Richmond that are always in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the US...one year were 1-3-5....the areas around them are infested problems too and you still are probably a minimum of 200K for a house...had a fellow ball player shot dead in Oakland - why? because he was white and driving through it....the Marines will not allow recruiting stations there because of the risks....the OP is going to find USA is not the same as when he left.....in one bay area city at a stop light (mixed, mostly asian area - but mixed) I had a group of black toughs circling my car taunting me in a 2 ton suv and I'm not little a little guy either but I'm while like a light bulb - I could have over reacted and moved the car quickly but probably would have been hosed with bullets with them saying I tried to run them down.....there's a full on ethnic war zone going on in many areas of the US - you do not hear about it unless it's white on black - never the other way.....it's gotten worse since the man in charge seems to want it that way...giving license.....have some friends retired from Chevron - the refinery they say it was not unsual at all to be shot at driving to and from work.....(within 15 straight miles of SF)......A LOT of the prices you pay there are not $$$$$ - witness the huge amount of anxiety meds being RX'd in the US.....glad I'm here.....

Oakland is often referred to as the armpit of California. IMHO California is the left armpit of the USA with Detroit being the right armpit.

You don't have to go near those places much less live there. There are much cheaper, cleaner, safer places with ordinary folk who pose no danger, and feel no danger. The US is huge and you have your choice of climate, culture, terrain, and yes cost of living.

IMHO the places with low cost of living are often the nicest places to live because the people are unassuming and ordinary.

I see the equivalent of "a blind man describing an elephant."

Cheers

• Like 2

I've never been to the States but what seems really incredible to me is the price of cars over there. According to Chevrolet's website, a Camaro sports car retails for $24,000 - what's the catch? Is there huge sales tax or expensive servicing? That buys you a Honda City in Thailand lol.

No one in the US with any sense buys American cars... There is a reason that the Toyota Camry has been the best selling car in the US for more than a decade...

The Ford F150 pickup is by far the #1 selling vehicle in the US. The Chevy Silverado pickup is #2. The Toyota pickup isn't even on the radar.

The Camry is the best selling car, but is outsold by the F150 by almost double. LINK

Americans love their pickups and the F150 full 4 door 4x4 is my main squeeze. I don't own a car.

The Camry sells well because it is built in America in an automated factory by non-union workers and it is cheap. People with more options buy a mid to full sized American SUV or a Beemer or a Benz.

I live in Thailand the same or close to the same way I lived in the States. In Thailand it costs me $20,000 per year in the States it cost me $120,000.

Come on. I'm sure you can construct a far-fetched apples vs oranges example of how 20k a year (roughly 50k Baht a month) in Thailand gives you a better lifestyle than 120k in the US, but generally speaking, that's barely scraping by in Thailand (I pay that in rent and it's the worst apartment I've had in my adult life, and without being extravagant spend again the same amount out of pocket), whereas in the US 120k a year would allow you to live really well almost anywhere. Even in Manhattan you can live a VERY comfortable life on that (I did live there myself for 5 years and still have many friends there).

As others have said, it depends on your lifestyle and what you like in life. For some things the US is cheaper, for others Thailand. Frankly, the few things that are cheap in Thailand are not major spending categories for me, and I'm not one to get excited about scoring a meal for 30 Baht. For my current lifestyle, for the things I like and spend my money on, the US would be cheaper without question.

It's all good if you're happy, but I know more than one farang here surviving on chickenshit and who's protesting too much that this is what he wants and that he's happy.

I've lived in both places. I'm not in business here. I've got no ax to grind. I live much better here than in the States and on far less money. I don't live in Bangkok and I married a middle aged Thai women executive who has worked for a decade at the same large multinational company in Thailand.

I took my time and toured Thailand for three years before deciding on an area to live. I have opinions and knowledge about Thailand.

The more I post here the more I realize most here can't speak with authority about Thailand because of lack of experience. Also I see a lot of anger. I'm not angry about the West or Thailand. I've watched the old folks in the USA search for sea shells and dinner specials while I in Thailand search for short skirts and scallops. Depends on what you like.

If I still wanted to drive around and look at majestic mountains or beautiful beaches I'd be in the States. I don't. I've lived in the mountains and on the beach. Been there done that.

I live in Thailand. I have a lot of fun in Thailand. I live within my means here and enjoy life. I post on a Thai website that I'm happy in Thailand.

You all live in the West and come on my Thai web site and bad mouth Thailand. Why not find a USA website and tell each other how happy you all are?

I've not searched out a USA centric website to bad mouth the country. Why would I? I don't live there and I'm not going back. Why do you come here and try to convince me it is cheaper to live in the USA? You don't like me because I'm happy. OK, I get that. But, posting lies about costs and living conditions in other places is not going to make me sad.

I went to the mall yesterday. 8 out of 10 women were pretty. You went to the mall yesterday and 8 out of 10 women were not prettybiggrin.png. I'm an old guy. When a young pretty woman makes eye contact with me, I know what the deal is. clap2.gif She is not after my imagined good looks or personality.

Charlie Chan said, "A woman not made for heavy thinking, but should always decorate scene like blossom of plum."

I'm sure in the West there are many women made for heavy thinking. wai2.gif

• Like 2

Problem with Thailand is you get what you pay for. Shitty food full of chemicals and pesticides. Shopping at Tesco or Big C with their crap products that break or dont even work all within a 2 or 3 month (if youre lucky) time period. Unsanitary water and cooking. How about the danger on roadways. Rippoffs from locals who see the whiteman as an endless money pit. A government even more paralyzing than the US. I guess those are good reasons to stay in a third world country such as Thailand. Im sure there are more good reasons however, right now Im still thinking about them all. smile.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You must live in Pattaya or Phuket...smile.png Sounds exactly like the life there.....

All of those reasons I gave apply equally to every village in Thailand. The OP was complaining about his money not buying anything in the states and it buying everything in Thailand. Sure your chump change will purchase you a earlier death in a third world country. Quality of life in Thailand and US not even close to being same.

• Like 2

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view, along with a few associated responses. Please abide by forum rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Not necessarily so! Many ....and I mean MANY homes in the US are less than $100,000 (3 million baht Thai) Some as low as $32,000 (1 million Baht) ....and not just in Poe Dunk USA....Examples ...beach towns in Florida, Augusta Georgia, the Carolina's etc....

Comparable to Thailand (check out the real estate site called Zillow)

One area Where the USA outshines Thailand is the price of Cars. .....Honda Accord USA....$30,000.....Thailand.....$70,000 is just an example...Car prices are triple that of the USA....trucks ...another story.

USA also has great healthy food at reasonable prices.....If comparing quality, ambiance and freshness the USA wins ...Even my wife commented on the Thai food in America as to why it was sooooo delicious ...fresh ingredients! and the price was reasonable ....$7 (220 Baht)

So all in all difficult to compare apples to oranges.....but if price is the only factor Thailand wins some and loses some ....

Seriously,

I dropped the USA from my list of countries to retire, but the more I think about it the more I consider moving there.

I was thinkung Portugal, but Florida and Augusta Georgia is back om the map.

I am getting really tired of living in this third world country, so much is wrong here sad.png

OK Thai food. Kow men gai 35 baht Thailand; how much USA? Spring rolls steamed 35 baht Thailand; how much USA? Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA.

post-187908-0-75225700-1409620311_thumb.

post-187908-0-47964800-1409620360_thumb.

post-187908-0-70868600-1409620758_thumb.

Problem with Thailand is you get what you pay for. Shitty food full of chemicals and pesticides. Shopping at Tesco or Big C with their crap products that break or dont even work all within a 2 or 3 month (if youre lucky) time period. Unsanitary water and cooking. How about the danger on roadways. Rippoffs from locals who see the whiteman as an endless money pit. A government even more paralyzing than the US. I guess those are good reasons to stay in a third world country such as Thailand. Im sure there are more good reasons however, right now Im still thinking about them all. smile.png

You must live in Pattaya or Phuket...smile.png Sounds exactly like the life there.....

All of those reasons I gave apply equally to every village in Thailand. The OP was complaining about his money not buying anything in the states and it buying everything in Thailand. Sure your chump change will purchase you a earlier death in a third world country. Quality of life in Thailand and US not even close to being same.

Its funny you mention shiity food full of chemicals and pesticides. I bet 75% of all fruits and a huge number of vegetables in US stores come from Peru, Mexico, Panama, Argentina, China so how can you say its not full of chemicals and pesticides? One of the of the costs savings US grocery stores get is by buying in another country where they have virtually no EPA or Pesticide controls so it reduces costs and increases yield plus they harvest early so it can be shipped without spoiling. The ones harvested early are dipped in wax like apples, nectarines and peaches. Do not kid yourself about US produce and fruits. Its all a shell game and PRBS. Same goes with growth hormone in Chickens, Pigs and Cows.

Now lets talk about Thailand. I will speak for myself but I grow most of my own veggies and almost all my own fruit except Pineapple. Zero pesticides. The people we buy pork from grow all their pigs naturally. The chickens we get are from the guy down the road and these are all free range. The first couple of times I saw one plucked I laughed as my entire life in the US I saw these fat huge breasted birds. Now I know why they are what they are from Fosters and Zacky farms.

I do not know where you eat but my wife is extremely clean and all the places we eat the same applies. While I can agree that some are not, It totally it depends on where you live and where you pick to eat. My wife is extremely picky and in fact prefers BBQing versus deep frying.

As for the government...Meh, I never paid attention to the US government so why get involved with the Thai govt? I am not here to influence anybody or make a change, I am here to live life and relax. ALL governments are corrupt in every country. Some hide it better than others

Edited by JAFO

What is funny about these types of topics is that what many are essentially saying is:

"Back home I would be a total loser and have a horrible lifestyle but in Thailand I can have a very good lifestyle based on my own individual wants and needs."

But they never ever word it that way. They instead put all the blame on their home country - some existential force or conspiracy against them - often immigrants. They never hint they underperformed in their home countries, made bad decisions or didn't work hard enough. It is never their fault.

Back in my second country (USA), I can earn a lot of money and have a very good lifestyle, as long as I avoid women.

The west is a naff place for heterosexual men to live, and it gets worse as you get older.

If I were gay, I would be living in the USA.

Robin Williams personal fortune reduced from $100M to $10M by two divorces and alimony, to the point where he committed suicide rather than face a third divorce, are you accusing him of under-performing?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

The OP of course wants to live on meals a Bht30 a time - well of course they are not available in the US and to be honest Bht30 meals in Thailand are at the bottom of Thailand's food prices - Read crap ingredients.

I would dispute this,

Kow Soi Gai at Maya Mall food court today, 40bht (chicken leg and noodles)

Grapow Gai at my local eating place tonight, 30bht (all I can eat, rice and chicken breast)

The chicken used in both dishes comes from Makro, same quality as everywhere else in town.

The difference in prices between Thailand and the USA is mainly labor costs.

Cook it yourself at home and it's the same price.

Yes but what oil are they cooking/frying with on these stalls? My guess is palm oil which is the cheapest & least healthy.

Check the ingredients of many processed products in the USA and you will find a common ingredient- palm oil!! The Thai diet is much healthier than the junk food diet of USA. Its very easy to eat your five a day in Thailand. The variety and choice is baffling.... By your reasoning life expectancy in Thai would be about 40 due to the use of bad ingredients...

I'm from the US. Had a great life...big house on a lake in Calif., nice car......etc....some might say I had "the life"

Now I live in Thailand ....for the last 10 years. Great life....big property on the beach, nice truck.....etc.

Life though is not about possessions, or at least not to me .....its about happiness and contentment

All my hugely successful friends in the US are jealous....Why? Because I'm living "my dream"! Life is what you make it ....where ever that may be.

Personally, for me, Thailand is a LOT cheaper than the US....but then again ...each to their own. OP choose to live what he thinks was a good life on a small amount of money....kudos to him ....some posters wouldn't even consider living like he did, so be it....it's his life, he's young and it sounds like he's living the life as he was happy in Thailand!

Again, "life is what you make it"....something that is personal to each of us....Why be critical of someone's lifestyle if they are happy?

Same here.

Well as typical this thread took a path that most of these threads usually do. Many points have been made about low cost housing in the US. I agree they exist but they are not in places many would want to live so its moot IMHO. Heck you could buy a few rai and a small old Teak home for dirt cheap but doubt many foreigners would want to do it.

In the end foreigners are in Thailand for their own personal reasons. We are not all here for the same ones that's for sure. The OP is young I agree, but he gained very valuable experience for later in life. I suspect once he settles back down he will make some adjustments. His venting here on TV wasn't bad. Its how he felt and saw it all. As I have mentioned I am in the states right now(California to be specific) in the heart of Silicon Valley. When my wife first landed it was brutal sticker shock on most everything. Now after being here for awhile she has done some very careful assessments and of course reports it back to her sister. Below are some of her thoughts as she spouted them off at me while I typed this

Biggest Cons: Housing costs/ Rents, Can never really own your house due to property taxes. taxes taken from paycheck, property tax, sales tax, medical insurance fees, car insurance fees, fees to own vehicles, virtually no public transportation, Environmental charges when buying anything electronic or plastic, processed foods and packaged meats, Cell bill ($158 a month for 2 teles and locked into a 2 year contract with huge fees if you exit early), too many stop lights, No daily markets to go get fresh food in the morning, rude people and bad drivers, Going out to dinner costs way too much for what you get(She laughs at Thai restaurants and what they charge and most is not even authentic Thai food), not enough holidays, airfare is too expensive, ocean water is too cold. Crab and lobster way to expensive.

Biggest Pros: Mild temperatures, nice roads, good fruit variety, easy to find a job even if over 40, can return anything after you buy it if you do not like it, Lots to go see and do(But at a steep price), wine selection, low cost high quality clothing and linens, Victoria Secret (555), online ordering, car selection

Things she doesn't understand: Why they spend millions of tax payers dollars on sidewalks here and nobody walks anywhere, or on big parks that very few use, or huge parking lots that are empty or why they build new buildings for businesses when hundreds sit empty. Why people are so wasteful and inconsiderate, She has a hard time with the mix of immigrants, She struggles with loud rude Viets and Chinese and pushy Indians. She does not understand all the Mexicans that clean peoples yards and use leaf blowers to just blow it all out in the street only to have it blow into other peoples yards. She thinks its hilarious to watch people walk their dogs and have to pick up their poop or get a fine.

In the end I am glad we were able to come this way for awhile while I work. I wanted my wife to see the "Real" US not what the media portrays as the best place to live on the planet. The company paid for her to move with me here and it is for a manageable period of time. We both agree( after numerous heart to heart talks) we like our life way better back in Thailand. We could stay here no problem but we feel our quality of life will suffer and that I would have to work until I die to sustain the COL. Plus we would have to cram life into weekends and feel exhausted because we had to rush everywhere we go. Its funny, we have taken some weekend trips and after they were done we had some great pictures but did not enjoy the trip as much as we could have because I had to return to work. The cost to get away is extremely high. Most people get 2 weeks a year to go relax and see things. That's not much time. Sadly when you finally can retire you are too old to go off and do things as most have medical issues now of some sort.

Anyway I took the time to post this to be clear, I do not hate the US. There are many things I love about it, In fact its a GREAT place to visit quite honestly. I just find I get a bigger bang for my dollar in Thailand, live with way less stress and live life on my terms. Here in the states someone always has their hand in my pocket. FWIIW, My burn rate here renting a little house, 2 cars, all other expenses costs me roughly 150,000 baht a month not counting any entertainment. Add in entertainment and any shopping and that number quickly goes over 200,000 baht. That does not include what I have to give out of my check to the Fed and State. In Thailand my wife and I live very very well on 25,000 to 35,000 as we have no debt because our home and vehicles are paid for.

Excellent post - what also takes effect is the fact that 35-40+% is taken out of your paycheck before it gets to you....then everything you touch or consume is taxed at a minimum 9.75% decreasing your spendable income by another minimum 10% as there are hidden/entertainment/county/bond/roadway taxes hidden in many ways including the doubling of the price of gasoline.....so effectively you're adding another 65,000 or more a month that has to overcome that - which of course the more you earn the higher the tax bracket.....if you think traffic is bad in LOS - try silicon valley 101-680-580-880-17......

• Like 1

Perhaps the OP can come back and tell us why he went back to the US or indeed why he did not stay in Thailand.

We know his feelings about the US and Thailand but understanding why he moved from where he was happy to where he is not might reveal something about the two places that is governing his decisions.

Bht30 food might be interesting, it might even taste nice, but clearly cheap food alone is not the only factor in the OP's decision to move and therefore a more balanced view of the two places would consider precisely why he gave up a heavenly place for the hell he describes.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If America is such a sh#thole, and Thailand so great ....Why move back to the US???

Family? I'm 33 but my ma and pops are still kicking.

Perhaps the OP can come back and tell us why he went back to the US or indeed why he did not stay in Thailand.

We know his feelings about the US and Thailand but understanding why he moved from where he was happy to where he is not might reveal something about the two places that is governing his decisions.

Bht30 food might be interesting, it might even taste nice, but clearly cheap food alone is not the only factor in the OP's decision to move and therefore a more balanced view of the two places would consider precisely why he gave up a heavenly place for the hell he describes.

I believe he did.....Went home for family!

Maybe visa problems also as he's only 33

Well as typical this thread took a path that most of these threads usually do. Many points have been made about low cost housing in the US. I agree they exist but they are not in places many would want to live so its moot IMHO. Heck you could buy a few rai and a small old Teak home for dirt cheap but doubt many foreigners would want to do it.

In the end foreigners are in Thailand for their own personal reasons. We are not all here for the same ones that's for sure. The OP is young I agree, but he gained very valuable experience for later in life. I suspect once he settles back down he will make some adjustments. His venting here on TV wasn't bad. Its how he felt and saw it all. As I have mentioned I am in the states right now(California to be specific) in the heart of Silicon Valley. When my wife first landed it was brutal sticker shock on most everything. Now after being here for awhile she has done some very careful assessments and of course reports it back to her sister. Below are some of her thoughts as she spouted them off at me while I typed this

Biggest Cons: Housing costs/ Rents, Can never really own your house due to property taxes. taxes taken from paycheck, property tax, sales tax, medical insurance fees, car insurance fees, fees to own vehicles, virtually no public transportation, Environmental charges when buying anything electronic or plastic, processed foods and packaged meats, Cell bill ($158 a month for 2 teles and locked into a 2 year contract with huge fees if you exit early), too many stop lights, No daily markets to go get fresh food in the morning, rude people and bad drivers, Going out to dinner costs way too much for what you get(She laughs at Thai restaurants and what they charge and most is not even authentic Thai food), not enough holidays, airfare is too expensive, ocean water is too cold. Crab and lobster way to expensive.

Biggest Pros: Mild temperatures, nice roads, good fruit variety, easy to find a job even if over 40, can return anything after you buy it if you do not like it, Lots to go see and do(But at a steep price), wine selection, low cost high quality clothing and linens, Victoria Secret (555), online ordering, car selection

Things she doesn't understand: Why they spend millions of tax payers dollars on sidewalks here and nobody walks anywhere, or on big parks that very few use, or huge parking lots that are empty or why they build new buildings for businesses when hundreds sit empty. Why people are so wasteful and inconsiderate, She has a hard time with the mix of immigrants, She struggles with loud rude Viets and Chinese and pushy Indians. She does not understand all the Mexicans that clean peoples yards and use leaf blowers to just blow it all out in the street only to have it blow into other peoples yards. She thinks its hilarious to watch people walk their dogs and have to pick up their poop or get a fine.

In the end I am glad we were able to come this way for awhile while I work. I wanted my wife to see the "Real" US not what the media portrays as the best place to live on the planet. The company paid for her to move with me here and it is for a manageable period of time. We both agree( after numerous heart to heart talks) we like our life way better back in Thailand. We could stay here no problem but we feel our quality of life will suffer and that I would have to work until I die to sustain the COL. Plus we would have to cram life into weekends and feel exhausted because we had to rush everywhere we go. Its funny, we have taken some weekend trips and after they were done we had some great pictures but did not enjoy the trip as much as we could have because I had to return to work. The cost to get away is extremely high. Most people get 2 weeks a year to go relax and see things. That's not much time. Sadly when you finally can retire you are too old to go off and do things as most have medical issues now of some sort.

Anyway I took the time to post this to be clear, I do not hate the US. There are many things I love about it, In fact its a GREAT place to visit quite honestly. I just find I get a bigger bang for my dollar in Thailand, live with way less stress and live life on my terms. Here in the states someone always has their hand in my pocket. FWIIW, My burn rate here renting a little house, 2 cars, all other expenses costs me roughly 150,000 baht a month not counting any entertainment. Add in entertainment and any shopping and that number quickly goes over 200,000 baht. That does not include what I have to give out of my check to the Fed and State. In Thailand my wife and I live very very well on 25,000 to 35,000 as we have no debt because our home and vehicles are paid for.

Excellent post - what also takes effect is the fact that 35-40+% is taken out of your paycheck before it gets to you....then everything you touch or consume is taxed at a minimum 9.75% decreasing your spendable income by another minimum 10% as there are hidden/entertainment/county/bond/roadway taxes hidden in many ways including the doubling of the price of gasoline.....so effectively you're adding another 65,000 or more a month that has to overcome that - which of course the more you earn the higher the tax bracket.....if you think traffic is bad in LOS - try silicon valley 101-680-580-880-17......

PGramm, excellent additions. People forget about all the "Hidden" costs to live in the states as they never really see it, its just taken and most cant figure out why at the end of the month they float money to make ends meet.

Not passing judgment on some posters here but a lot seem to be quite naive about what it REALLY costs to live anywhere USA. Latest stat from WSJ (Wall Street Journal) shows that 62% of the population lives below the poverty line and only 13% own a home but what is really interesting is that "Owning a home" means you are in a mortgage with a bank. You do not REALLY own it. So what it tells me is that virtually all people in the US don't own anything. They are in debt up to their eyeballs and banks are raking in the cash and people work feverishly to pay off that debt and live in fear they can't.

I will pass.

• Like 1

I live in Thailand the same or close to the same way I lived in the States. In Thailand it costs me $20,000 per year in the States it cost me $120,000.

Come on. I'm sure you can construct a far-fetched apples vs oranges example of how 20k a year (roughly 50k Baht a month) in Thailand gives you a better lifestyle than 120k in the US, but generally speaking, that's barely scraping by in Thailand (I pay that in rent and it's the worst apartment I've had in my adult life, and without being extravagant spend again the same amount out of pocket), whereas in the US 120k a year would allow you to live really well almost anywhere. Even in Manhattan you can live a VERY comfortable life on that (I did live there myself for 5 years and still have many friends there).

As others have said, it depends on your lifestyle and what you like in life. For some things the US is cheaper, for others Thailand. Frankly, the few things that are cheap in Thailand are not major spending categories for me, and I'm not one to get excited about scoring a meal for 30 Baht. For my current lifestyle, for the things I like and spend my money on, the US would be cheaper without question.

It's all good if you're happy, but I know more than one farang here surviving on chickenshit and who's protesting too much that this is what he wants and that he's happy.

I've lived in both places. I'm not in business here. I've got no ax to grind. I live much better here than in the States and on far less money. I don't live in Bangkok and I married a middle aged Thai women executive who has worked for a decade at the same large multinational company in Thailand.

I took my time and toured Thailand for three years before deciding on an area to live. I have opinions and knowledge about Thailand.

The more I post here the more I realize most here can't speak with authority about Thailand because of lack of experience. Also I see a lot of anger. I'm not angry about the West or Thailand. I've watched the old folks in the USA search for sea shells and dinner specials while I in Thailand search for short skirts and scallops. Depends on what you like.

If I still wanted to drive around and look at majestic mountains or beautiful beaches I'd be in the States. I don't. I've lived in the mountains and on the beach. Been there done that.

I live in Thailand. I have a lot of fun in Thailand. I live within my means here and enjoy life. I post on a Thai website that I'm happy in Thailand.

You all live in the West and come on my Thai web site and bad mouth Thailand. Why not find a USA website and tell each other how happy you all are?

I've not searched out a USA centric website to bad mouth the country. Why would I? I don't live there and I'm not going back. Why do you come here and try to convince me it is cheaper to live in the USA? You don't like me because I'm happy. OK, I get that. But, posting lies about costs and living conditions in other places is not going to make me sad.

I went to the mall yesterday. 8 out of 10 women were pretty. You went to the mall yesterday and 8 out of 10 women were not prettybiggrin.png. I'm an old guy. When a young pretty woman makes eye contact with me, I know what the deal is. clap2.gif She is not after my imagined good looks or personality.

Charlie Chan said, "A woman not made for heavy thinking, but should always decorate scene like blossom of plum."

I'm sure in the West there are many women made for heavy thinking. wai2.gif

As someone has pointed out before, you have an unbecoming habit of psychoanalyzing people. And by the way, I live in Thailand. It's OK to criticize others, but can you also criticize yourself?

To me it's a mixed bag (some things great, others absolutely awful, in a more extreme way than other countries) and once my project is over I'll probably be packing my bags and not look behind. Don't make stupid claims like saying that a dollar carries 6 times farther in Thailand versus the US, and then call people "unhappy" because they take you up on it. I have nothing against people enjoying this place as it is, but I don't like the censorship types who only want to hear rose-colored views. People on here love to whine complain about the Thailand haters, but they're not helping by being overdefensive and thin-skinned about every perceived slight. Give me reasoned, open discussion any time, and it doesn't bother me the least if someone disagrees because we all have different preferences and situations.

Ya got me there. Where did I psychoanalyze you or tell you, you are unhappy?

You wrote, " Even in Manhattan you can live a VERY comfortable life on that ($120,000)." The median home value in Manhattan is $1,234,200; that's 40 million baht. I could not live comfortably there if I bought a medium priced home. I can live comfortably here living in a new medium priced home for $20,000 per year.

My dollar goes 6 times further here. I'm just telling you about me. I didn't say anything about you. I spent $120,000 in the States for the same lifestyle I'm spending $20,000 for here.

It occurs to me you aren't lying. You really don't know how to live well for $20,000 in Thailand. I am going to look up some good blogging software and open a blog and write a book about it.

But I'm not going to tell you for free. If you want to know you can read my future blog and book.

-snip-

Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA.

Including the land in your own name?

There are so many places to start. How about Titusville, Florida with a budget of 75,000 including the land.

Scroll down and take your pick.

Edited by NeverSure

-snip-

Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA.

I believe you are mixing up two different issues. 1. Construction. 2. Ownership. If you want to talk about ownership fine but that is not what I asked about, so talk about it with someone else.

I have worked out my own home ownership issues and will tell you how to work out yours for money - not for free.

To repeat my question was, " Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA?"

Edited by thailiketoo

Why do so many post on here as if the apotheosis of anyone's existence is to live at the beach. I like the ocean beach when I can play in the waves. Then -- after about 30 minutes -- it's time to go home. I like to swim in a salt water pool and the pool doesn't have to be near the beach. Sand fleas -- yuck.

BTW we have these in Florida -- they never point toward the beach.

evacuation_route.jpg

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

OK Thai food. Kow men gai 35 baht Thailand; how much USA? Spring rolls steamed 35 baht Thailand; how much USA? Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA.

Now that's a more positive contribution to the discussion. Concrete facts rather than playing on the man. Not saying my own forum behavior is the most positive always, but honestly I think the negativity on this forum would be a lot better if we all tried harder to discuss facts and opinions about them and ignore getting personal.

I'd actually be interested in hearing some specifics of your spending patterns in the US vs Thailand. I'm not questioning how much you spent, but my guess is it would be completely apples to oranges. Just the picture of that house tells me that's not a lifestyle I want (at most for a short holiday), but it's your life. I need an urban, cosmopolitan environment, however much shit it comes with, and related to what someone else said earlier in the thread, I'm definitely in the category that wants to keep most of the goodies of the West + have some enhancements that Thailand offers. Overall I like many things about this place, but some things are plain awful. Just this morning I almost got almost squeezed between a wall and the SUV of a coward hiding behind blackened windows in a narrow lane with no footpath. For sure the US has its share of &lt;deleted&gt;, but I don't find this country lacking in them at all, so I don't find that a strong reason to prefer one over the other. I'm off to do some work now.

-snip-

I believe you are mixing up two different issues. 1. Construction. 2. Ownership. If you want to talk about ownership fine but that is not what I asked about, so talk about it with someone else.

I have worked out my own home ownership issues and will tell you how to work out yours for money - not for free.

To repeat my question was, " Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000; how much USA?"

How big of a house? Full blown American kitchen? 2 Western bathrooms? 2 car garage with garage door opener?

Central aircon?

Or a shitty Thai house?

You can't compare a real Western house with safe water and sanitary sewer plumbed to a municipal sewage treatment plant, underground utilities, you own the land with no tricks, etc. etc. to a 1.2 million baht piece of Thai shit with no land.

OP you lived in thailand did you work in thailand and earn thai wages?

Because of the exchange rates between the USD and bht the costs would seem much cheaper for you.

I got by on about 40,000-50,000 baht a month from my internet biz. I had TONS of money for fun. There was never a dull night. I lived like a Thai and blew the rest on vice. Could never do that here.

What kind of internet biz is that ?

I would be interested to do so and leave expensive Belgium !

>>To repeat my question was, " Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000

Show me where here in Phuket, or Samui for that matter can you get a house like this. Even a tiny piece of land here is more than that, then throw in construction for a decent 200 sqm house and you're looking at 10X the cost of some nakon nowhere close to beach house.

-snip-

How big of a house? Full blown American kitchen? 2 Western bathrooms? 2 car garage with garage door opener?

Central aircon?

Or a shitty Thai house?

You can't compare a real Western house with safe water and sanitary sewer plumbed to a municipal sewage treatment plant, underground utilities, you own the land with no tricks, etc. etc. to a 1.2 million baht piece of Thai shit with no land.

It's hard for you to play fair isn't it? Ownership issues are one thing. Construction costs another thing.

Construction costs USA per sq ft as opposed to construction costs per sq ft Thailand. You can build whatever you want. 25% of the USA is on septic tanks. 80% power lines above ground (in many parts of America). Who you kidding?

>>To repeat my question was, " Homes new construction Thailand close to beach and public transportation; $39,000

Show me where here in Phuket, or Samui for that matter can you get a house like this. Even a tiny piece of land here is more than that, then throw in construction for a decent 200 sqm house and you're looking at 10X the cost of some nakon nowhere close to beach house.

I wouldn't live in Phuket or Samui so I don't know much about construction prices there. I would not live in many places in the USA like Key West that I think are rip off places. Ft Myers can be reasonably compared to many places on the East coast of Thailand.