ed-visa next extension denied

They go out for a ED visa and start a total of one year from the date of entry.

They do not have to pack up and leave permanently.

Yes that sounds easy but my problem is I already started my 3rd year. I don't want to leave to go to a embassy to get permission that I already had and paid for! To only go to get a new visa to complete what I already started. I don't enjoy double paying to complete what I already had permission to start.

90 day extensions are up for review every 90 days - you had no further permission to stay. You do not need to apply/refuse/have 7 days - if school qualified you can obtain paperwork for new visa and re-entry using that and start study/extensions again.

90 day extensions are up for review every 90 days - you had no further permission to stay. You do not need to apply/refuse/have 7 days - if school qualified you can obtain paperwork for new visa and re-entry using that and start study/extensions again.

I understand what you are saying. Thank you.

I'm going to school to learn Thai and also to stay here with out having to go to a another country to get new permission.

I was granted permission by ministry of education to start my 3rd year of study before this new law. I should be grand fathered in.

If a new student wishes to start a new year he or she would know of this new law and sign the papers. I signed my papers 4 months before this law.

I hope my view on this makes sense. Nothing can be changed but for people who already started there should be a very simple clause like "grandfather in"

Like I said earlier why pay more with money and time for what you already paid for months before this.

But you did not pay for your permission to stay earlier - you assumed (perhaps by word of school) you would only have to to pay 1,900 baht for a new 90 day stay but under the new rules you will have to visit a Consulate to obtain a 2,000 baht visa and return with that for the start of a new year of study. There was no preapproved right to stay from immigration so do not believe grandfather would be applicable to them - but perhaps school could offer a refund if this requirement is not acceptable.

• Like 2

We will see when immigration starts focusing on mariage and retirement. Who's to stop them from making them leave every year to pay more money at a near by embassy to stay another year.

Then we will hear a lot more grumbling. Its not a joyful adventure to just go to another country.

Its just a mater of time till laws will effect everyone no matter what visa they came here on.

• Like 2

But you did not pay for your permission to stay earlier - you assumed (perhaps by word of school) you would only have to to pay 1,900 baht for a new 90 day stay but under the new rules you will have to visit a Consulate to obtain a 2,000 baht visa and return with that for the start of a new year of study. There was no preapproved right to stay from immigration so do not believe grandfather would be applicable to them - but perhaps school could offer a refund if this requirement is not acceptable.

I already started my new year of study!

I understand to start a new year

BUT I already started my new year.

If this seams fair then I'm sorry.

I'd have to say shame on your school for not notifying you earlier about this change. It has been known and well discussed here for over a month IIRC. Your school should also be helping you get the paperwork together to go get your new visa. But not all schools are created equal.

It does suck a bit for some people who are at awkward spots in the extension renewal cycle, but that's the way it goes. if you want to live in someone else's country, you have to follow their rules, and sometimes those rules change.

I was not terribly happy to learn I have to go back to Laos for a new visa in October, but I have decided to turn a hassle into an opportunity and am going to make the trip into a cross country motorcycle adventure.

• Like 2

I do feel somewhat for this person - if I applied for an education visa to study a three year course in another country then I would expect to get a visa for the full course with maybe a "formality" renewal at the start of each year. I would also expect not to have to underake expensive trips abroad during the course. The UK has pretty tough regulations but there would be an outcry from universities here if students were not given rights to stay for the duration of the course, That said we are tougher on language schools which have in the past been used to get around visa requirements, so maybe this has something to do with the type of college/university he is attending.

I think the Op is saying he got a new 1 year extension based on learning Thai 4 months ago. But they are applying the new rules to him .. but I might be wrong!

He did not get a one year extension. He paid for another year of study and got MOE approval for it.

When he applied for a 90 day extension it was denied because he had already been getting extensions for more than one year from his entry on a ED visa which is not allowed under the the new rules.

• Like 1

I think the Op is saying he got a new 1 year extension based on learning Thai 4 months ago. But they are applying the new rules to him .. but I might be wrong!

He did not get a one year extension. He paid for another year of study and got MOE approval for it.

When he applied for a 90 day extension it was denied because he had already been getting extensions for more than one year from his entry on a ED visa which is not allowed under the the new rules.

Ok. I thought they gave 1 year extensions prior to the clamp down .. was this not so?

I do feel somewhat for this person - if I applied for an education visa to study a three year course in another country then I would expect to get a visa for the full course with maybe a "formality" renewal at the start of each year. I would also expect not to have to underake expensive trips abroad during the course. The UK has pretty tough regulations but there would be an outcry from universities here if students were not given rights to stay for the duration of the course, That said we are tougher on language schools which have in the past been used to get around visa requirements, so maybe this has something to do with the type of college/university he is attending.

Thank you!

I know I can't change the law but I just wanted to say not recognizing the current enrollment and making me go to another country to enter again on what I already had just to finish this year that I already started is rediculos.

IF I wanted to start a new year next year. Then yes I understand I must go out and get a new visa. Not when I'm 4 months into a class.

If they want to clamp down on workers using end visa then require them to show proof of funds from outside of the country.

Ok. I thought they gave 1 year extensions prior to the clamp down .. was this not so?

For study at a language school it depended upon where you applied for the extension how long the it was for.

Some immigration offices did one year and other 90 days or even 6 months.

For formal schools such as universities it will still be one year.

• Like 1

Yes that sounds easy but my problem is I already started my 3rd year. I don't want to leave to go to a embassy to get permission that I already had and paid for! To only go to get a new visa to complete what I already started. I don't enjoy double paying to complete what I already had permission to start.

My boyfriend is on ED visa as well as you since 3 years. He just come back last week from immigration in bangkok with his 3 months extension for his 4th year without any problems.

So be over-prepared as he was, and lets hope you speak as well thai as him, and all things will go well.

Good luck

My boyfriend is on ED visa as well as you since 3 years. He just come back last week from immigration in bangkok with his 3 months extension for his 4th year without any problems.

So be over-prepared as he was, and lets hope you speak as well thai as him, and all things will go well.

Good luck

That was before the 29th of August. Does not mater how much you can speak now.

Tell him to call the school they will tell him sorry but true. My school sent a email to all students.

Good luck

That was before the 29th of August. Does not mater how much you can speak now.

Tell him to call the school they will tell him sorry but true. My school sent a email to all students.

Now my school is looking into this with a lawyer. All of us already got permission from MOE with interview and granted permission to study another year. We already paid the school money and started our studies. Now we are being told we have to pay more money and time to get a new visa to finish the classes we already started.

We will see when immigration starts focusing on mariage and retirement. Who's to stop them from making them leave every year to pay more money at a near by embassy to stay another year.

Then we will hear a lot more grumbling. Its not a joyful adventure to just go to another country.

Its just a mater of time till laws will effect everyone no matter what visa they came here on.

People here on marriage and retirement extensions already have financial requirements they need to meet more stringent than those for students. People have been misusing ed visas in order to stay in Thailand for long periods even though their interest in education was nonexistent. The marriage and retirement extension are intended to allow people to stay long term, but that is not the primary purpose of the education visa/extension.

Most changes in immigration policies are a consequence of some people abusing the system. You may be a sincere student, but you are paying the price for the misbehavior of others.

However you did say

I'm going to school to learn Thai and also to stay here with out having to go to a another country to get new permission.

Not sure exactly how that was meant, but taken as written it implies you were using the ed visa for an extended stay in Thailand, which is exactly why problems have arisen with that being the main reason some people get the visa & extension, with education coming in a distant second reason.

Don't you put words in my mouth with learning coming in second. I'm willing to show funds exceeding marriage and retirement. I'm retired now and yes I do want to stay in Thailand. That's why I came to Thailand to learn Thai. Duh!
  • Like 2

I don't know why I even shared this topic. I wanted to let people know if they already started a 2nd yr or more their next visit to immigration will be denied.... No grandfather in no understanding. Just past go and go to the nearest embassy and pay money and time.

Now this topic is stereotyping people for abusing the system. I agree many!!!! People are doing this but it could be resolved by showing proof of funds. Just like retirement.

I'm over this forum with the wholly than you people giving their stereotypical view on others and life.

• Like 2

This is as strange as ordering a beer at a bar then to be charged again to finish it.

You have referred to loosing money several times. Could you confirm you are talking about application fees and not a loss of tuition? If the school is in fact refusing to return your tuition can you advise on the name of the school?

Edited by csabo

People here on marriage and retirement extensions already have financial requirements they need to meet more stringent than those for students. People have been misusing ed visas in order to stay in Thailand for long periods even though their interest in education was nonexistent. The marriage and retirement extension are intended to allow people to stay long term, but that is not the primary purpose of the education visa/extension.

Most changes in immigration policies are a consequence of some people abusing the system. You may be a sincere student, but you are paying the price for the misbehavior of others.

However you did say

Not sure exactly how that was meant, but taken as written it implies you were using the ed visa for an extended stay in Thailand, which is exactly why problems have arisen with that being the main reason some people get the visa & extension, with education coming in a distant second reason.

Don't you put words in my mouth with learning coming in second. I'm willing to show funds exceeding marriage and retirement. I'm retired now and yes I do want to stay in Thailand. That's why I came to Thailand to learn Thai. Duh!

Silly question... why not just extend based on retirement then?

totster :)

• Like 2

However you did say

totster :)

I'm 41

• Like 1

totster smile.png

I'm 41

Now I get money because I'm a casualty of war.

I'm married to a Thai too so ya I can and will change basses on marriage. But to do so I need a letter from school that I quit to show to immigration.

So then if I quit I don't go to school that I ALREADY PAID FOR!!!!

So there again I want and take very seriously learning Thai language so I can slightly understand the f@#*in family.

So I paid for the school I want the schooling. I don't want to pay More money and time at some country with a Thai embassy....

Does that awnser your questions???? He who wants or needs to know ALL!!!!!!!