Starting retirement - house or condo? Real Estate agents?

vitp4145

Hi folks,

Not long arrived in Chiang Mai. This September I am looking around for a permanent place to live. As a new arrival, I don't know anybody really and so thought I might get some advice here.

I see many blogs and youtube videos that say it's much better if you can get a Thai friend to help out when searching for rental accomodation, as the cost may be less than if a real estate agent is used. That isn't an option for me as I don't have any friends here at all, let alone Thai friends.

That being said, I have had a look at several websites advertising houses and condos for rent. As I have no transport, living aways out of town in a house is not really doable I think. Thus I'm thinking it would be best to look for houses/condos for rent that don't require I have a car or motorcycle/moped to get around.

Is it safer to rent a condo than a house? By this I mean from the viewpoint of the safety and security of one's belongings. In other words, is burglary a concern here in Chiang Mai?

Would I be advised to use a real estate agent? By all accounts I would end up paying more, but I don't see I have any real alternative option. Are the real estate agents here in Chiang Mai reputable? Could anyone recommend a good agent based on their own experience?

Any advice in respect of the above would be sincerely appreciated.

I was in the same position like you 4 years ago, starting my retirement life in Chiang Mai. Yes, buying and/or renting with a real estate agent will be more expensive that doing with the help of interested Thai local people. In my opinion, the best move is to rent a very nice furnished studio on one of the many Condo-Hotels, called Service Apartment, In a good location will be from 6000thb to 8000thb/month for at least 6 months contract. Many in Neeman area, Doi Suthep Road area, and close to the Chiang Mai University....very easy tuktuk acces to all the city. That rental agreement is good enough to prove local address for immigration. That will give you time to look for a more permanent place, to meet helful local friends, and make your mind about your final destination. In my case..I started in Chiang Mai and ended in Lampang, close enough to Chiang Mai and other nice cities, and was the best move at that time. Buy?...only after you really know that Thailand will be your permanente residence and exactly where and why....Drive?..never....specially in busy cities. Found friends with transportation to tour you around, and do not take the risk of an accident..Needs referrals?..let me know.

The advice umbanda gave you is very good. So all I can say is that I agree with it, Six months in a serviced apartment would be wise and give you time to learn where the nice areas are that you may want to move to permanently later. Also try looking in the Thaivisa classified section, you may find something for rent by an owner.

I was in the same position like you 4 years ago, starting my retirement life in Chiang Mai. Yes, buying and/or renting with a real estate agent will be more expensive that doing with the help of interested Thai local people. In my opinion, the best move is to rent a very nice furnished studio on one of the many Condo-Hotels, called Service Apartment, In a good location will be from 6000thb to 8000thb/month for at least 6 months contract. Many in Neeman area, Doi Suthep Road area, and close to the Chiang Mai University....very easy tuktuk acces to all the city. That rental agreement is good enough to prove local address for immigration. That will give you time to look for a more permanent place, to meet helful local friends, and make your mind about your final destination. In my case..I started in Chiang Mai and ended in Lampang, close enough to Chiang Mai and other nice cities, and was the best move at that time. Buy?...only after you really know that Thailand will be your permanente residence and exactly where and why....Drive?..never....specially in busy cities. Found friends with transportation to tour you around, and do not take the risk of an accident..Needs referrals?..let me know.

Thank you indeed for a sensible slice of advice. That would give me time to avoid making any "newcomer mistakes" and would indeed give me the opportunity to recon the areas of Chiang Mai. I have googled serviced apartments in Chiang Mai and will pop out and have a look at some of them over this coming week.

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent place, say in the region of THB 8,000 or so a month?

I live in the Nakornping Condo close to Kad Suan Kaew Central. It has a pool rents are reasonable and there are also some units for sale. My floor has a 40 sq. metre facing on the back which is the best location. It could be bought for about a million and a quarter bahts unfurnished. Local shopping outside the door Chiang Mai Hospital within walking distance. 7-11 close fruit stands again outside the door restaurant downstairs and 3 superettes.. I am 76 and my g/f and I push bike everywhere else. The climate is nice and we have live in the above condo 3 years now and love it. Security is good, internet, cable TV. Feel free to contact me for help. I wish someone would have given me a helping hand 4 years ago. It would have save me some grief.

You have received some very good advice here.

The only thing I would add is get a guest house for a couple of weeks so you can search all of Chiang Mai. A lot of the areas that have been mentioned can be noisy.

As elgordo38 says his unit is in the back. It is much quitter than the front. I believe they have a construction project right across the street from the front units. Some of them may also have bars that can be loud at night.

The only thing I would add is get a guest house for a couple of weeks so you can search all of Chiang Mai. A lot of the areas that have been mentioned can be noisy.

As elgordo38 says his unit is in the back. It is much quitter than the front. I believe they have a construction project right across the street from the front units. Some of them may also have bars that can be loud at night.

Good advice also. Thank you. I'm in a hotel at the moment - until the end of September. Time enough to have a look at the serviced apartments and their surroundings.

I would like to extend my sincere thanks to all the advice/responses above. Thank you all.

As in France I noticed that the proposed live by owners homes are more expensive.

Remember that the first job of the agent is to reduce the price charged to current market conditions.

Also, I find it a shame to be limited to the narrowness of a condo in a city where houses are available for rent at prices among the lowest in the world. flowers, a barbecue with some good friends garden, what better way to old age.

The houses are generally located in residences monitored. The risk of theft exist, but they are weak.

Finally, I find that one of the great advantages of Chiang Mai is the variety and beauty of the countryside around the city. So maybe buying a car could be seen ...

Sorry for the sometimes rough translation ...

Edited by Hisseho

I live in the Nakornping Condo close to Kad Suan Kaew Central. It has a pool rents are reasonable and there are also some units for sale. My floor has a 40 sq. metre facing on the back which is the best location. It could be bought for about a million and a quarter bahts unfurnished. Local shopping outside the door Chiang Mai Hospital within walking distance. 7-11 close fruit stands again outside the door restaurant downstairs and 3 superettes.. I am 76 and my g/f and I push bike everywhere else. The climate is nice and we have live in the above condo 3 years now and love it. Security is good, internet, cable TV. Feel free to contact me for help. I wish someone would have given me a helping hand 4 years ago. It would have save me some grief.

Gordo?.....After so many years biking around..... and with a Thai girlfriend, probably you can change your name here now....

Just kdding......

If you take a walk from Nakornping Condo, away from the main road (turn right, then left), that road has many condos charging 3,500Bht/month plus utils. Nice places withing walking distance of everywhere. Why pay more?

I have a pal living in one at the front.

No noise, nice view of Doi Suthep.

Some of us like the "freedom" of condo living -- oops, Honey forgot to buy yogurt for breakfast.

No problem, Hubby just puts on some decent clothes goes down to the minimart in the condo lobby.

Oh, there's some good movies in town this weekend. Let's walk up to Maya Mall to go see one.

Where should we go have dinner? I don't know, there's so many places we can walk to.

Shall we take a little trip this weekend? No problem. We know there's good security in the building.

We go to the bank, take care of our business and return home in the length of time it would take people in the burbs to find a parking place at the mall.

etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and then there's running into friends in the condo elevators, lobby and pool for a little chat. Keeping up on what's happening in their lives without making a special point to get together.

I enjoy the freedom of condo life.

Nice that Chiang Mai has both condo life and suburban life available for a reasonable price, isn't it?

^^^^^ how exhiraratingsmile.png ,but guess the o/p has to get off the mark,best of luck cobber

Drive?..never....specially in busy cities. Found friends with transportation to tour you around, and do not take the risk of an accident..Needs referrals?..let me know.

Your advice was great up until this...

Come on...rely upon "friends" to transport you or "tour you around"? Get real. How much of an imposition is that?

Really, get a car as you will need one. What - are you saying that friends won't get into an accident but you [or he/she] may? That makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

Some of us like the "freedom" of condo living -- oops, Honey forgot to buy yogurt for breakfast.

No problem, Hubby just puts on some decent clothes goes down to the minimart in the condo lobby.

Oh, there's some good movies in town this weekend. Let's walk up to Maya Mall to go see one.

Where should we go have dinner? I don't know, there's so many places we can walk to.

Shall we take a little trip this weekend? No problem. We know there's good security in the building.

We go to the bank, take care of our business and return home in the length of time it would take people in the burbs to find a parking place at the mall.

etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and then there's running into friends in the condo elevators, lobby and pool for a little chat. Keeping up on what's happening in their lives without making a special point to get together.

Nice that Chiang Mai has both condo life and suburban life available for a reasonable price, isn't it?

Good post Nancy.

As usual posters have over looked his vehicle looking to be undoable comment. One thing they never mention is the water supply at these places. I see where there is a thread on poor water supply at many of these out of town places.

• Like 1

Drive?..never....specially in busy cities. Found friends with transportation to tour you around, and do not take the risk of an accident..Needs referrals?..let me know.

Come on...rely upon "friends" to transport you or "tour you around"? Get real. How much of an imposition is that?

Really, get a car as you will need one. What - are you saying that friends won't get into an accident but you [or he/she] may? That makes no sense at all.

Makes sense JUST to look for a GF with its own car...or makes better sense to get a car to find a GF that is looking JUST for farangs with car? Got it?

By the way.....Get into an accident and you will know that the Land of Smiles may also can be the Land of Trouble......

Sh...happens..specially in Thailand....with women and with cars.....

Edited by umbanda

i have house mae rim area no trouble water when i was in condos in cm years ago where they caught you was water and elect price per unit

i have a swimming pool and change water monthly with town water house and pool 600 to 800 per month when in one condo they charged me over that per month

etc, etc, etc.

Put in this way...

If you come to Thailand to be around other farangs.....get a condo..

If you come to Thailand to change your way of life and meet local people...get a house....

etc, etc, etc.

Good post Nancy.

As usual posters have over looked his vehicle looking to be undoable comment. One thing they never mention is the water supply at these places. I see where there is a thread on poor water supply at many of these out of town places.

Good point and another good point is to check out the Internet service available in these rented properties.

Sometimes their Internet is run on communal routers and can be slow, lots of downtimes and unreliable.

• Like 1

Makes sense JUST to look for a GF with its own car...or makes better sense to get a car to find a GF that is looking JUST for farangs with car? Got it?

By the way.....Get into an accident and you will know that the Land of Smiles may also can be the Land of Trouble......

Sh...happens..specially in Thailand....with women and with cars.....

No, I haven't "got it". It makes no sense what you are saying.

I've been in a couple of accidents already (neither my fault). Trouble? I was compensated 100% both times. Women and cars? What are you on about? Or are you using a translator? I don't get it at all..sorry.....

There is no construction noise at present as the bldg. across the road is now finished. As someone else mentioned good water supply. We have our own well. Yes you can live in the burbs smell the flowers but then you must spend a fortune on taxis. Then there is the sweet noise of Soi dogs the problem of which seems to crop up often on TV (a lot of Thais have more than one) and also the roosters(about 4 times a night) Some Thais do not take kindly to Farang moving into their area. If buying a vehicle is your choice you have fuel, insurance and the ever pain the the butt residential certificate and Thai drivers license. In my 4 yrs. here I have seen about a dozen victims of motorbike madness and the last one here in our bldg. was laid up for about 6 months and his body will never be the same again. At our age our body never fully recovers. Then there are the eternal traffic jams (which will only get worse in years to come) I will take our location here in the centre of things long before the burbs. The burbs can be boring in time.

etc, etc, etc.

Put in this way...

If you come to Thailand to be around other farangs.....get a condo..

If you come to Thailand to change your way of life and meet local people...get a house....

Put it this way if you come to Thailand to meet a Thai get a condo. They have a 51% ownership. Read the thread about people leaving Thailand. It has lots of Farongs moving out of the housing developments. Not condos. Sounds like the housing developments are where the Farongs are.

The real truth is no body knows I pay no money for my water here in my condo. Conditions vary and what different people want varies. To each their own. Come and make your own decisions. Only you know what is acceptable to you. I live in a condo because I don't want the upkeep that goes with a house and I have no kids. If I had kids I would live in a house. 64 years was enough for me.

i have house mae rim area no trouble water when i was in condos in cm years ago where they caught you was water and elect price per unit

i have a swimming pool and change water monthly with town water house and pool 600 to 800 per month when in one condo they charged me over that per month

Dear opaired. I too have a swimming pool with a filtration system. my private tours are the ideal way to discover this fascinating city.

Make the most of your visit by seeing the things that really interest you. The Chiang Mai of yesterday and today is brought vibrantly to life.

We travel at the pace that suits you. Take a break in a cafe or coffee shop, or stop to look in one of the delightful shops we pass. Linger a little longer to savour the atmosphere or see as much as you can - this is your tour!. 

Discover Chiang Mai's many hidden delights as we take you down atmospheric alleys and markets and point out the quirky details that make exploring Chiang Mai such fun. 
 do you change the water monthly? Is it a kiddie inflatable pool