Straight wheels when parallel parking?

LawrenceN

I was helping my daughter move into a new room in a quiet dead-end soi in Chiang Mai today. The manager, a woman, told me to park on the street in front. I parallel parked, backing in, just as we have all been doing since we were 16 years old. I got out of my pickup and started to go about the task at hand, when the woman told me I better get back in my truck and straighten the wheels, rather than leave them pointed to the right, which is where I left them after I finished parking. I never heard of such nonsense, and had no intention of restarting my truck just to straighten the wheels. A second later, her husband (I presume) comes out and says I should straighten those wheels, adding that some kind of vehicle (missed a word there) might need the space. What are we talking about here? - three inches at most. This is not about parking on a hill with the wheels turned in for safety; the ground was flat. I just answered "I don't see that as a problem (ไม่เห็นเป็นอะไร)" and walked away to help my daughter, while the wife mollified her husband with "It's just a few minutes."

I'm not a newbie here, first came in 1977, and have been driving accident-free for over three years now, since retirement. The exchange above was entirely in Thai, and never became an argument. I just smiled and said, basically, "not a problem."

What is up with this? With all the inconsiderate, unsafe, illogical motor vehicle operation you see in Thailand, I should be concerned that my wheels must point straight after parallel parking on flat ground in a dead end soi? Does anybody know if there's a law about this, or is it another Thai wives tale, like "headlights cost too much, so leave them off as much as possible"?

• Like 1

When I Park outside the house in moo bahn.

Loads of folks tell me to straighten the wheels.

Never asked why.

Couldn't be bothered to be honest.

I do remember a Thai mate knew telling me don't put on the headlights until it's really dark.

Because you'll wear them out quickly. <deleted>.

I'll put that down to. He wasn't that smart.

Not because he was thai

And don't start on superstitions.

My mom was the worst.

If a knife drops on the floor. There's an argument coming.

Etc

Maybe to do with when Thai's park on the flat, they leave it in neutral and do not apply the handbrake. So that if need be it can be pushed forward/backwards to make space for another vehicle.

Even if the wheels are straight when parked, i think a lot of Thais will be still scratching their heads, because i believe most Farang (LawrenceN first came in 1977) don't know this and apply park (auto) and handbrakes.biggrin.png

Pretty succinct, although it's good practice (and a requirement in some countries) to not leave leave the wheels straight when parking on an incline.

Jerry

Maybe to do with when Thai's park on the flat, they leave it in neutral and do not apply the handbrake. So that if need be it can be pushed forward/backwards to make space for another vehicle.

That would be my take on it also.

Takes a little while to remember to do this.

BTW, to the nice lady to parked us in @ the Transport Department who had her wheels straight, handbrake off, but left it in Park and made us wait 45 mins before we could move other cars to get out ... dry.png

• Like 1

I've heard something from a previous G/F similiar about if you turn the wheels/steering wheel too far the car will tip over.

Ever see a thai driver and no offence meant but when they do a U-Turn

you would think it is a 40Ft triaxle trailer truck they are driving not a freakin Camry!

The same applies to parking, the steering is turned only half way then fwd/rev for 5 minutes to do parallel parking.

This was passed down from when the buffalloe carts were in use and yes that was a regular occurrence when the the axle went right angles to the line of travel that it would easily tip over.

• Like 1

I always park with them straight here, on the flat. It makes sense, if they need to push you out the way. I know you weren't going to be long, parked there as moving stuff, even in a dead end street.

But maybe they thought you might become distracted and take longer than anticipated.

I have found that they can get a little excited if you do something a little outside there 'comfort zone'

I for one, have never left a parked vehicle in neutral. Never have, never will. When I park, I always lock the doors as the wife thinks everybody wants to steal her truck, and the truck is in either first gear or reverse. I have never seen anyone get into someones car and push it away, and I would never think of doing it. When I park, I pick a spot where no one can park behind me as many here like to do when parking is limited. I have been driving for over 48 years and never seen the likes of the drivers here in Thailand. I figure it will take a good 50 years before Thailand starts to climb into the 21st century.

As far as the wheels go, tell the no problem.

• Like 1

2 things when some motorbike drives extreme close it might touch the wheels.

(a motorbike taxi had my foot crash into a tire once. I had heavy shoes so no problem).

Or to be able to move the car a bit forward or backward.

OP speaking. Thanks for the advice. In the future, I'll definitely leave my wheels turned to prevent these yahoos from xxxxx with it (when there's no way I'm blocking anyone in or blocking anyone's gate).

Edited by Rooo
profanity
  • Like 1

I for one, have never left a parked vehicle in neutral. Never have, never will. When I park, I always lock the doors as the wife thinks everybody wants to steal her truck, and the truck is in either first gear or reverse. I have never seen anyone get into someones car and push it away, and I would never think of doing it. When I park, I pick a spot where no one can park behind me as many here like to do when parking is limited. I have been driving for over 48 years and never seen the likes of the drivers here in Thailand. I figure it will take a good 50 years before Thailand starts to climb into the 21st century.

Billy ... I surprised by that.

Firstly, the car is always locked ... no-one needs to get inside the car.

I've only been coming to Thailand for 6 or 7 years, but have done/have had this done to me several times.

"When I park, I pick a spot where no one can park behind me" ... what if they are all taken?

What about when you go to a popular TESCO or the like and once the lined parking spaces are taken ... the Thais park in single file in-front of the car and their car needs to rolled away so that you can get out.

I'm not defending the practise of how the Thais park ... but it is what it is.

• Like 1

I have never seen anyone get in a car and push it away either, but I have pushed and have seen plenty of cars pushed out the way in Thailand, thats why they want you to leave it in neutral and hand brake off.....

"When I park".....blah blah..."48 years" blah blah...Thailand 21st century...blah blah

but then again suppose this is not too much of problem for you when one lives in are near rice paddies in the Nakon Nowhere...thumbsup.gif

Ever seen the parking at the multi-storey car park and wondered "look at all that/them car/s parked in front of them other cars, how they going to get out?"

Always remember "neutral, no brake, wheels straight" at the end of every trip.wink.png

• Like 1

Surely if parallel parking one is blocking another vehicle so should park with neutral gear, hand break off and the wheels pointing so that to car can be pushed away - usually that means straight wheels.

And also pushed onto the back of a trailer and driven away.

As a driver i always leave my Car in gear and with the hand break on , so people cannot push my car or easily move it. have you ever thought that if some one hit your car and it rolled forward or back , you are responsible for the insurance claim .

Edited by Thongkorn

I've heard something from a previous G/F similiar about if you turn the wheels/steering wheel too far the car will tip over.

Ever see a thai driver and no offence meant but when they do a U-Turn

you would think it is a 40Ft triaxle trailer truck they are driving not a freakin Camry!

The same applies to parking, the steering is turned only half way then fwd/rev for 5 minutes to do parallel parking.

This was passed down from when the buffalloe carts were in use and yes that was a regular occurrence when the the axle went right angles to the line of travel that it would easily tip over.

Them buffalo's and their carts have got a lot to answer for!! angry.png

Every time a scooter pulls out from a soi onto a main road and doesn't look right closedeyes.gif blame the buffallo.

In years passed, they had right of way.

Sorry for 'changing course' and a bit offtopic.gif but BillyBobThai 'veered' me offline with his comment "Bull $hit"

OK, 'back on track' wink.png

• Like 1

The reason to keep the wheels straight is that when the car needs to be pushed to let another out, it will not go off on an angle. Makes sense if you think about it.

If you really think about it, it's pretty stupid to park where you block other cars from moving...

As stupid as parking in the middle of the road...

But for Thais, anything is better than parking in a real parking space and having to walk 10 meters to your destination.

How many times have you seen a parked vehicle blocking traffic, when there is a safe parking spot less than 20 meters away?

whistling.gif Yes, In areas people park on the street, many Thais do leave there vehicle in Neutral and with the parking brake off.

As someone said, this is due to the fact that the vehicle in front or behind you might need some extra space to get out of their parking spot.

If there is a security guard, often the guard or guards will be the one to push your vehicle either forward or back a few inches so the other vehicle can get out of the parking slot.

O course this is not a good practice if you are parking on a hill. Not even the Thais will usually do that. Sometimes though, on a hill. I've seen them put blocks or chocks down so that their car can not roll forward or backwards.

whistling.gif Yes, In areas people park on the street, many Thais do leave there vehicle in Neutral and with the parking brake off.

As someone said, this is due to the fact that the vehicle in front or behind you might need some extra space to get out of their parking spot.

The vehicle doors are usually locked though.

If there is a security guard, often the guard or guards will be the one to push your vehicle either forward or back a few inches so the other vehicle can get out of the parking slot.

O course this is not a good practice if you are parking on a hill. Not even the Thais will usually do that. Sometimes though, on a hill. I've seen them put blocks or chocks down so that their car can not roll forward or backwards.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You really all think that the OP is totally retarded ?

I guess that since 1977 he knows all the shiiite replies that you gave a lot better than you ?

So I wonder what was his real question ?

Do we 'all think that the OP is totally retarded ?' ... well, I can't answer for 'all', but my personal response is 'no' ... but he also hasn't taken into consideration how the locals drive / manage their vehicle.

"I guess that since 1977 he knows all the shiiite replies that you gave a lot better than you ?" ... if you read his OP a bit closer ... the implication was that the OP visited Thailand in 1977 ... "I'm not a newbie here, first came in 1977," and that he has "been driving accident-free for over three years now, since retirement." So the implication is that he has not been living and driving here these past 37 years. But who knows ... he doesn't say for a fact.

What is his 'real question' ... who knows ... I took the OP at face value.

My question to thairastawoman ... why do you come across as so angry ... huh.png

• Like 1