Affirmation of marriage...up to date info.

Guemlum

I have been looking through some older posts dating back to 2011, regarding the above topic, but was wondering whether anyone had some up to date info on obtaining a affirmation of mariage from the British Embassy. My questions are...

1. Do you have to make an appointment as suggested on the FCO website, or simply turn up to the embassy during consular hours as has been suggested by others?

2. I read one post that said the MOFA had relocated offices during the recent coup. Can anyone confirm if this is the case or are they back at their original address?

3. What are current costs in getting the translated affirmation of marriage authorised by the MOFA and expected turnaround times?

Thanks

Guemlum

1. Just go to the BE, no appointment needed, took me about an hour including waiting time this February.

2. They are back at their normal address at as far as I know.

3. Translation was 300Bbaht and the MFA fees were 400 Baht per document (2 needed) for the same-day service. I believe the next-day service is half that.

I managed to get it all done in one day this February using the temporary MFA office at Bang Na.

• Like 1

I was at the MFA a few weeks back. The express translation cost 400b per page and the MFA charged 400b + 150b for postage. I missed out on the express service. They only accept 50 applicants per day so get there early!! They posted the docs to my address in Phuket arrived 5 days later.

• Like 1

You get the affirmation to marry from your Embassy and show them whatever is necessary to obtain it(divorce certificate if previously married) and pay whatever they charge. You then have to have it translated into Thai and certified by the MFA. Many of the translation services will also handle the MFA certification and have it mailed directly to you or you can take it to the MFA yourself.

Just did all this last week and all the advice given is spot on. There was no way I was going up to Chang Wattana and waiting all day so I paid the translation people 1800 bhat to do the translation and take the documents to MOFA and collect. Money well spent in my opinion but I know other people don't mind going over there.

Post Script to my last e mail. They have changed the Affirmation to an Affirmation of Marital Status and you now have to say who you are marrying, where and when. I assume if you put Bangkok and then want to marry in, say, Pattaya there might be a problem. Likewise if you delay the marriage beyond the month you put on the Affirmation. When I was at the Embassy someone tried to use the old form and they had to re do it but could do it on the premises so not a big problem but it all adds to the stress and strain.

Just did all this last week and all the advice given is spot on. There was no way I was going up to Chang Wattana and waiting all day so I paid the translation people 1800 bhat to do the translation and take the documents to MOFA and collect. Money well spent in my opinion but I know other people don't mind going over there.

Which translation service did you use, and did the 1800 include same/next day?

I used Express Translation Service which is the first one on the right down the side of the shopping mall at Ploenchit BTS station. No it did not include that and despite me offering to pay a bit more they were very reluctant to offer a quick service. I handed it in on Monday afternoon and collected it Thursday evening which was fine for me and we got married at BangRack on friday morning. The translation was very good though and there were no problems at either MOFA or registry office. They do offer a 7000 bhat service which covers everything and that does seem to include next day but I didn't use that.

Okay. Thanks.

So it sounds like if you are waiting at the door early in the a.m., you can be amongst the first 50 and get it back that day, total fees about 1100?

(Translation the day before, 300. MOFA fees, 800.)

Another poster stated he went to a MOFA at Bang Na?

Is there one there, and is it less busy?