Kajonkietsuksa School‏ Teaching position

Maria Smithson

Hello,

I just recieved a position at Kajonkietsuksa School‏ in Thailand. The job description sounds perfect but I have noticed some negative reviews about the school. What are your thoughts? Is everyone treated with respect? How high stress is the position? A list of the pro's and con's would be appreciated:) Thank you all for your help.

Best,
Maria

I know some of the teachers there - apparently the atmosphere is very pleasant and friendly. This is Kajonkiet Cherngtalay BTW.

One of the teachers there is a close friend - when we "talk shop", her stories are always about how much she enjoys teaching the kids, and very little in the way of office politics, problems with Thai staff etc.

I don't think the stress levels there are higher than any other comparable job. As I said, I know many of the KJK staff, and I find them a very friendly group of people to socialize with.

• Like 1

I know some of the teachers there - apparently the atmosphere is very pleasant and friendly. This is Kajonkiet Cherngtalay BTW.

One of the teachers there is a close friend - when we "talk shop", her stories are always about how much she enjoys teaching the kids, and very little in the way of office politics, problems with Thai staff etc.

I don't think the stress levels there are higher than any other comparable job. As I said, I know many of the KJK staff, and I find them a very friendly group of people to socialize with.

I was talking HKT!

My boy goes to KJ in Kathu, and I'm delighted with the school. It is however a business and the kids results are really what the school is interested. From what I know of friends that work there this translates to pressure on the teachers of any of their kids are not doing well. My friends who work there say that they have heard the moaning of former failed teachers and feel that they just weren't up to the job. They feel that many teachers to there expecting an easy ride, which it is not. Like any normal western job, do well and everyones, so badly and it's time to look elsewhere.

SDM

We chose not to send our kids there on the basis of the rumours that 1. the school was more interested in grades thanlearning and 2. That the teachers hit the children and 3. they could not be bothered to answer emails!

I believe that a slap on the hand is sometimes given by the Thai teachers in EP, can't speak for International or ESC, they are mainly interested in grades, but so am I, EP has very good SA coordinator that has introduced a Western discovery type of teaching rather than the Thai "just do it like this with no questions". My emails have always been responded to within 24 hours.

I agree it is a high pressure school that expects results, just like the real world really.

My boy loves it there.

SDM

My boy goes to Kajonkiet Kathu and loves it, his learning is going ahead leaps and bounds, the teachers are very friendly and seem to be very good at what they do, the place has a great feel to it, I've never heard of them hitting children(if it was a slap on the hand as mentioned above i wouldn't have a problem with that at all) and think it's probably just a sour parent making up stories,it'd be guaranteed to suck some in.

Any time we've emailed the school we've been answered promptly.

As for the teachers being stressed, if they are they don't show it and the students seem to have a very good rapport with them.

Edited by beechbum

My boy goes to Kajonkiet Kathu and loves it, his learning is going ahead leaps and bounds, the teachers are very friendly and seem to be very good at what they do, the place has a great feel to it, I've never heard of them hitting children(if it was a slap on the hand as mentioned above i wouldn't have a problem with that at all) and think it's probably just a sour parent making up stories,it'd be guaranteed to suck some in.

Any time we've emailed the school we've been answered promptly.

As for the teachers being stressed, if they are they don't show it and the students seem to have a very good rapport with them.

Forgot to mention it has a really nice coffee shop and food court, even does sushi !

If you are prepared to work hard and treat it as a proper job you will do well.

SDM

Some pro's and con's? Are you talking about English Programme?

Pro's

It has employed foreign teachers for over 12 years now and it has a better idea than most Thai schools on how deal with foreigners.

It is the largest educator on the island / Phang Nga - almost 3000 students across its campuses so not going anywhere just yet - job security if you work and don't take the piss.

They don't contract you for 10 months unless you are only staying for a year. Some schools will shaft you during the holiday periods by not giving you a 12 month contract.

They always pay on time.

They have an HR manager. This includes pretty good managment of your visa / immigration affairs. You of course will be ultimately responsible, however they will give you advice and help you manage the process.

Good coffee shop with free wifi

If you are in a pickle they are usually good at helping you - eg. accident and dealing with BiB for example.

Cons

As with all private schools they are a business. If you have worked in education you will have some inkling of what that means.

Not sure what you mean by "high stress", but if you are coming to fund a life style you might need to reevaluate. This is a school where you will teach subjects to children. Their education is 60% from you.

Parking is poor, if you have a bike - its ok.

The ins and outs of school politics and individuals etc. I have no idea about (I do not work there). Having said that, most schools have it so....

Finally, and I don't want to be presumptious or a tool, but can I suggest that in future you look into places before you get the job. No doubt they have started your paperwork - which is real PT here. If you pull out you really become a pain in the bum.

Have you asked about salary? Have you looked into the tax regime, living expenses and so forth on Phuket? Best to do all of that now before you arrive.

• Like 1