Metropolitan Police to fine jaywalkers in Bangkok

webfact

Metropolitan Police to fine jaywalkers in Bangkok

jw1.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 2 September 2014 (NNT) - Metropolitan police are set to take serious action against jaywalkers in Bangkok’s Asoke-Montri Road area in a bid to regulate foot traffic.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Pol. Maj. Gen. Niphon Charoenphol has deployed a team of at least 30 officers to keep a close watch at five crosswalks and 13 traffic intersections along the Asoke-Montri Road and its vicinity.

Pedestrians that do not use the crosswalks on the road would be fined up to 200 baht. The law has been effective since August 28th, and only one person has been fined so far.

The police have also urged members of the public to abide by the rules in order to ensure road safety and would soon apply this rule of law on other roads with heavy traffic such as the New Petchaburi Road, Ratchawithi Road, and Rama 4 Road.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-02 footer_n.gif

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand will beame same as singapore in future, dont chew gum in public, dont walk there,dont smoke there, dont do this, dont do that. haha

Of course the Thai public will be as easily ' persuaded ' by all sorts of means to comply , just as happened Singapore. cheesy.gif

Thailand will beame same as singapore in future, dont chew gum in public, dont walk there,dont smoke there, dont do this, dont do that. haha

Of course the Thai public will be as easily ' persuaded ' by all sorts of means to comply , just as happened Singapore. cheesy.gif

Absolutely!

This new crackdown is about making the traffic easier... it's not about protecting pedestrians.

"Thai logic": a pedestrian doesn't have a car, so he's poor, so he has to give way to much more important people = people in cars. Bigger the car more important the person is BTW thumbsup.gif

Will they fine motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings?

Don't be sillygiggle.gif

pedestrians are unimportant creaturesbah.gif . Those who can afford chauffeur driven door-to-door service in their Mercedes are important people and must not be disturbedunsure.png

• Like 2

A very long way to go, indeed! cheesy.gif

at least you don't risk your life when walking in the city, using zebra crossings, etc.

just my 2 cents

alot off places they dont have zebra walk over, so the choice is the safer way walk up to bts and down on the other place :)

A very long way to go, indeed! cheesy.gif

at least you don't risk your life when walking in the city, using zebra crossings, etc.

just my 2 cents

Will they fine motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings?

I never had a motorist who didn't stop in Thailand....There is a zebra crossing and I walk....no problem so far.

(But I must admit 1 ) that I am relative fit and always ready to jump. 2 ) That it is more either the car stops or they kill a Farang and I don't force it if I have the feeling I loose)

• Like 2

Nice to see that Thailand is taking care of the real big problems.

Like people don't want to walk 500 meter to cross the street.

Even in overregulated Europe the police usually ignores such terrible offenses like crossing the street on the wrong place.

Nice to see that Thailand is taking care of the real big problems.

Like people don't want to walk 500 meter to cross the street.

Even in overregulated Europe the police usually ignores such terrible offenses like crossing the street on the wrong place.

Here in Oslo it is very common to cross a road without a pedestrian crossing ... we have no rules about it here :)

The problem are the uncomfortable walkover bridges.

They are 8 meters high, very steep, and the stairs are very narrow.

On top of the bridges you'll have to pass sellers, beggars, homeless people, drunken people and on your way up or down you need to find a way around the electricity cables.

If they would build comfortable, aircondioned tunnels in steads of bridges less people would be tempted to risk their lives.

I wish that Thailand changed the traffic laws to be like in Finland and Switzerland where the fine is based on your salary/income. Highest fine (ever) for speeding in Finland € 120000 and in Switzerland 1 million CHF... you don't even have to pay that kind of money if you kill someone here in Thailand!

So I think that if the fines were higher then people just might start thinking about the others in traffic too and not just about "ME, MYSELF and I".

On top of the bridges you'll have to pass sellers, beggars, homeless people, drunken people and on your way up or down you need to find a way around the electricity cables.

If they would build comfortable, aircondioned tunnels in steads of bridges less people would be tempted to risk their lives.

They can't build tunnels... they would be flooded during the rainy season!

In A Historic Move, Police Start Enforcing Zebra Crossings
By Khaosod English

14096386721409639004l.jpg
Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon Charoenpol, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police will begin monitoring drivers’ behavior around zebra crossings in the financial district of Asoke.

BANGKOK — Drivers in Bangkok are now legally required to stop for pedestrians at zebra crosswalks following a new campaign launched by police yesterday.
Police announced last week that from 1 September onward, motorists who failed to stop at zebra crossings in Bangkok will face a fine of 500 baht.

Although the current Traffic Act does require drivers to stop at the crosswalks, the law has not been strictly enforced and many pedestrians in the capital city prefer to use the "pedestrian bridges" over roads to avoid risking their lives with the oncoming traffic.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon Charoenpol, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police will begin monitoring drivers’ behavior around zebra crossings in the financial district of Asoke.

"Drivers who don't slow down their vehicles when they approach the crossing will be fined no more than 500 baht," Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon said yesterday. "Pedestrians who don't use zebra crossing will also be guilty of violating Traffic Act ... which carries a fine of no more than 200 baht."

Two people were fined yesterday for not using zebra crossings, said Pol.Col. Pusit Witsetkamin, deputy Traffic Police chief.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon, who has a reputation for personally directing traffic on Bangkok's busy roads, said the campaign will help improve traffic around the Asoke Intersection.

Police will also take additional measures to ease the notorious traffic in Asoke, such as banning vehicles from cutting the opposite lane and deploying more police officers to oversee the traffic, added Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1409638672

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-02

airconditioned tunnels......

Yes and increase the VAT to 20 % to finance it.....