Metropolitan Police to fine jaywalkers in Bangkok

webfact

In A Historic Move, Police Start Enforcing Zebra Crossings

By Khaosod English

14096386721409639004l.jpg

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon Charoenpol, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police will begin monitoring drivers’ behavior around zebra crossings in the financial district of Asoke.

BANGKOK — Drivers in Bangkok are now legally required to stop for pedestrians at zebra crosswalks following a new campaign launched by police yesterday.

Police announced last week that from 1 September onward, motorists who failed to stop at zebra crossings in Bangkok will face a fine of 500 baht.

Although the current Traffic Act does require drivers to stop at the crosswalks, the law has not been strictly enforced and many pedestrians in the capital city prefer to use the "pedestrian bridges" over roads to avoid risking their lives with the oncoming traffic.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon Charoenpol, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police will begin monitoring drivers’ behavior around zebra crossings in the financial district of Asoke.

"Drivers who don't slow down their vehicles when they approach the crossing will be fined no more than 500 baht," Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon said yesterday. "Pedestrians who don't use zebra crossing will also be guilty of violating Traffic Act ... which carries a fine of no more than 200 baht."

Two people were fined yesterday for not using zebra crossings, said Pol.Col. Pusit Witsetkamin, deputy Traffic Police chief.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon, who has a reputation for personally directing traffic on Bangkok's busy roads, said the campaign will help improve traffic around the Asoke Intersection.

Police will also take additional measures to ease the notorious traffic in Asoke, such as banning vehicles from cutting the opposite lane and deploying more police officers to oversee the traffic, added Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1409638672

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-09-02

I think I'll buy a zebra.

Than I have my own zebra crossing whereever I want to cross the street smile.png

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about fining the muppets who walk on sidewalk glued to their mobile phones, texting or facebook or whatever they do, the ones that bounce off of you and continue as if nothing has happened. I remember when I first moved to Thailand in 2001, I was walking through BKK with a mate from home who'd been living here for a good few years and he said to me, "you know what I'm going to do when I get rich Al"?... "I'm going to open a school and teach these <deleted> how to walk properly"... Not too much changes does it..

I'm lost, should I laugh or scream. This is putting the buffalo before the cart. Crosswalks are not regulated, i.e Asok. Cars try to run people down or bluff pedestrians from crossing. Come on BKK Police, start with the real problem, BKK is not for pedestrians and do I need to mention handicap access, oh no, don't go there!

• Like 1

Will they fine motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings?

Don't be sillygiggle.gif

pedestrians are unimportant creaturesbah.gif . Those who can afford chauffeur driven door-to-door service in their Mercedes are important people and must not be disturbedunsure.png

And that is precisely it, a matter of hierarchy in Thai culture. Pedestrians are the lowest form of life in the Thai mind, and deserve the lowest form of attention and respect. This is the root of the problem that pedestrians face everyday in Thailand. Until that changes, pedestrians will continue to be treated, by the authorities in particular, as nuisances and troublemakers rather than as citizens deserving respect and assistance.

Asoke/Sukhumvit has always been the hub of jaywalking, but it is good to see that police are rushing to the scene now.

Perhaps if the country overcame it's 20th century slavishness to the motor car and created an environment friendly to pedestrians, the boys in brown would no longer die like flies of lung diseases.

• Like 1

A very long way to go, indeed! cheesy.gif

at least you don't risk your life when walking in the city, using zebra crossings, etc.

just my 2 cents

Thailand will beame same as singapore in future, dont chew gum in public, dont walk there,dont smoke there, dont do this, dont do that. haha

I disagree. I use the pedestrian crossings on Asoke and cars do not stop when the light is red.

I was nearly killed when a bus drove on the wrong side of the road at one of the crossings.

I have seen two people killed on Asoke. Both by buses.

Also I might point out the the lights at the crossings are often turned off.

Does anybody know what exactly is the fuction of a zebra crossing in Bangkok? Are motorists supposed to stop to allow pedestrians to cross, or is it just a place where people can cross the road without committing jay-walking?

I am not being facetious; I really would like to know.

So let me understand something here, are all the vice and crimes and traffic laws under control

now that the BIB is going after Jay walkers now? is that what really bothers the police?

is it really a burning issue of the outmost importance to fine way walkers in Bkk with barely

undefined footpath and roads where motorcycles, including the police use them as roads?///

• Like 1

I was talking about the safety in Singapore NOT in Bangkok, cheers

Who can claim that he feels safe in Bangkok? :-))

"Who can claim that he feels safe in Bangkok? :-))"

I would like to be first in line to say that I feel a hell of a lot safer in Bangkok and Pattaya than I would in London, Los Angeles, New York, Detroit or any number of cities out there in the civilized "First World', as people are so fond of referring to Thailand as Third World..

Edited by ratcatcher

Irrational and insidious propaganda trying to sow the seeds that the RTP are now the good guys.

To fully realize the fallacy in all these recent "crackdowns" simply look at the effect that prior activities have achieved. Nothing ! Just rhetoric, nothing is going to impact the behavior of the road users if the implementation of these mandates is not enforced and sustained. Pure fantasy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Will they fine motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings?

What's also needed is a hard hitting campaign to made drivers more aware of the law - when a pedestrian steps foot onto the zebra crossing all traffic must stop.

My understanding is that many drivers are not really aware of the law on this matter.

An example: I have both Thai and foreign students (at the moment mostly from Germany) in many MBA courses and last year one of the German students almost got killed, he assumed that zebra crossing laws were the same all over the world and he started to cross. He was sideswiped but not seriously injured and the car didn't stop.

Several of the Thai students spoke up and said that there is no requirement in Thai traffic law for cars / vehicles to stop at these crossings. They are there to make it look nice,

Other Thai students quickly disagreed and said vehicles must stop when pedestrians start to cross, and mentioned that the appropriate laws are the same as most countries in the world.

The group who had indicated 'no requirement to stop' continued to take that line.

Another student said she would call her uncle - a mid level policeman and ask him. She called immediately on speaker phone. He listened while she explained her question and then responded. 'Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian starts to cross and the vehicles must not move until all the pedestrians have stepped onto the opposite footpath'.

I stopped for pedestrians at a zebra crossing, only to be honked by the dimwit behind, who obviously had no understanding the functions of a zebra crossing. In fact, I'd say a majority of Thai drivers haven't a clue, or are just acting dumb when they come across zebra crossings. Prospero is right. They should fine motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings. They are as guilty in causing accidents as jaywalkers.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 2

Great idea if they enforce cars stopping at red lights where there is a crossing.

The law states that it is okay to proceed if the roadway is clear (which includes vehicles and pedestrians on marked crossings).

No one is stunned, I am sure, about the lack of knowledge of Thai drivers on that point.