Metropolitan Police to fine jaywalkers in Bangkok

webfact

The problem are the uncomfortable walkover bridges.

They are 8 meters high, very steep, and the stairs are very narrow.

On top of the bridges you'll have to pass sellers, beggars, homeless people, drunken people and on your way up or down you need to find a way around the electricity cables.

If they would build comfortable, aircondioned tunnels in steads of bridges less people would be tempted to risk their lives.

The reason stairs are very narrow is because the average Thai shoe size is about a 7, My shoe size is 11, that is UK sizes, so you are probably about the same, and yes, I do wish the stairs were a bit wider.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about installing more crosswalks?

How about inforcing a law for traffic that will not stop for you at one?

How about inforcing a law for traffic that will actually speed up when you try to use one?

How about inforcing a law for traffic that obstruct crosswalks?wai2.gifwai.gif

What a joke...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"Enforce not inforce"

Oxford Dictionary:

ORIGIN Middle English (in the senses ‘strive’ and ‘impel by force’; formerly also as inforce

Edited by metisdead
Reply repaired, learn to make your post outside the quote box.
  • Like 2

Bet they won't try that in Pattaya !

They did try it in Pattaya... about 5 years ago. Never worked. You can see them all over Beach road, 2nd road and 3rd road as well as other places.

The police didn't know how to enforce it and drivers didn't know that they had to stop. Plenty of people got injured in this failed attempt.

I still get shivers when I see some foreigners trying to use them but I've never seen a driver stop for them.

The sign in English only tells a tale.

I recall at least two tragic cases of tourists being killed on zebra crossings in Bangkok as they were unaware that traffic here does not stop at zebra crossings.

This is a money earner, nothing less.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Will they fine motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings?

What's also needed is a hard hitting campaign to made drivers more aware of the law - when a pedestrian steps foot onto the zebra crossing all traffic must stop.

My understanding is that many drivers are not really aware of the law on this matter.

An example: I have both Thai and foreign students (at the moment mostly from Germany) in many MBA courses and last year one of the German students almost got killed, he assumed that zebra crossing laws were the same all over the world and he started to cross. He was sideswiped but not seriously injured and the car didn't stop.

Several of the Thai students spoke up and said that there is no requirement in Thai traffic law for cars / vehicles to stop at these crossings. They are there to make it look nice,

Other Thai students quickly disagreed and said vehicles must stop when pedestrians start to cross, and mentioned that the appropriate laws are the same as most countries in the world.

The group who had indicated 'no requirement to stop' continued to take that line.

Another student said she would call her uncle - a mid level policeman and ask him. She called immediately on speaker phone. He listened while she explained her question and then responded. 'Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian starts to cross and the vehicles must not move until all the pedestrians have stepped onto the opposite footpath'.

I'm sure they did this before a couple of years ago and it was the same then with everyone pointing out that vehicles don't stop at crossings. I don't either now although I'm ready to if someone steps out.

I remember seeing a video of a crossing controlled by lights in Pattaya or Phuket and nobody stopped when the light was red including the police.

I don't know about Bangkok but some of the crossings aren't well thought out either. I used one in Khon Kaen a couple of years ago outside Central Plaza. On one side it was blocked by bikes and in the middle you had to balance on a narrow wood or concrete divider. Due to an operation a few years ago I have trouble balancing like that particularly when it's dark as it was then. On the other side it ended in some bushes. Someone was almost hit by a bike there because it wouldn't stop.

Edited by kimamey

It's almost as though they see the fining of pedestrians, as part of the NCPO clean up effort.

Never mind that vehicles never stop at crossings....look the other way when vendors sell fakes.....never prosecute the wealthy and connected.....release serious felons due to "lack of evidence"......

Fining jaywalkers exposes the infantile thinking and warped logic of the RTP!

Simple pedestrians are easier to catch. Have you ever seen a police vehicle chase an offender?

• Like 1

fine jaywalkersbeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAuin a bid to regulate foot traffic.

thats incredible...! how can they regulate a foot traffic when the problem is the proper configuration of bangkok.....it is a real mess !

street to small,very bad architecture, too many people, too many street markets everywhere, too much everything and no place for walking , parking or driving.bangkok is fully booked with an extrem overbooking since long time, perhaps they should regulate the number of people, and the number of personal car in the capital but in my modest opinion not to fine a guy who try to cross a street.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

In A Historic Move, Police Start Enforcing Zebra Crossings

By Khaosod English

14096386721409639004l.jpg

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon Charoenpol, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police will begin monitoring drivers’ behavior around zebra crossings in the financial district of Asoke.

BANGKOK — Drivers in Bangkok are now legally required to stop for pedestrians at zebra crosswalks following a new campaign launched by police yesterday.

Police announced last week that from 1 September onward, motorists who failed to stop at zebra crossings in Bangkok will face a fine of 500 baht.

Although the current Traffic Act does require drivers to stop at the crosswalks, the law has not been strictly enforced and many pedestrians in the capital city prefer to use the "pedestrian bridges" over roads to avoid risking their lives with the oncoming traffic.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon Charoenpol, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police will begin monitoring drivers’ behavior around zebra crossings in the financial district of Asoke.

"Drivers who don't slow down their vehicles when they approach the crossing will be fined no more than 500 baht," Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon said yesterday. "Pedestrians who don't use zebra crossing will also be guilty of violating Traffic Act ... which carries a fine of no more than 200 baht."

Two people were fined yesterday for not using zebra crossings, said Pol.Col. Pusit Witsetkamin, deputy Traffic Police chief.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon, who has a reputation for personally directing traffic on Bangkok's busy roads, said the campaign will help improve traffic around the Asoke Intersection.

Police will also take additional measures to ease the notorious traffic in Asoke, such as banning vehicles from cutting the opposite lane and deploying more police officers to oversee the traffic, added Pol.Maj.Gen. Nipon.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1409638672

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-09-02

Firstly the headline is fantastic. Police enforcing laws is Historic?

Secondly there seems to be a bit of confusion.

Drivers in Bangkok are now legally required to stop for pedestrians at zebra crosswalks

Although the current Traffic Act does require drivers to stop at the crosswalks, the law has not been strictly enforced

So drivers aren't now legally required to stop, they always have been.

• Like 2

Quite bizarre...this government came in on a promise of a new constitution followed by elections.....instead we get a campaign against J-walkers in a country with some of the most lawless roads in the world. Am I the only one who's getting the impression they've lost the plot?

It is about time the police finally will tackle true crime in Thailand...kudos to the police and military for ignoring the overt criminals located in every tourist town...and allowing the atrocities to continue in S. Thailand...

By all means...add apprehending Jay-walkers...to your elaborate resume...good job...

"I never had a motorist who didn't stop in Thailand....There is a zebra crossing and I walk....no problem so far."

A good entertainment is to stand outside the Royal Garden Plaza in Pattaya and watch all the first time tourists walk onto the crossing to get to the beach. The look of horror on their faces when they realise no one is stopping....priceless

I have been here twelve years and I can't recall a Thai ever stopping for me on a crossing, car or motorbike.

• Like 1

Another student said she would call her uncle - a mid level policeman and ask him. She called immediately on speaker phone. He listened while she explained her question and then responded. 'Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian starts to cross and the vehicles must not move until all the pedestrians have stepped onto the opposite footpath'.

What section of what law says that? Could somebody who has a Thai driving licence please look it up and post it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's also needed is a hard hitting campaign to made drivers more aware of the law - when a pedestrian steps foot onto the zebra crossing all traffic must stop.

My understanding is that many drivers are not really aware of the law on this matter.

An example: I have both Thai and foreign students (at the moment mostly from Germany) in many MBA courses and last year one of the German students almost got killed, he assumed that zebra crossing laws were the same all over the world and he started to cross. He was sideswiped but not seriously injured and the car didn't stop.

One rule is worldwide and that is if you step out into moving traffic then you are an idiot.

• Like 1

The biggest laugh has to be the crossing at Nana......Soi 4 V Soi 3 they'd make a fortune fining drivers

The lights on the main drag turn red allowing pedestrians to cross and at the same time the filter lane in soi 3 allows traffic to proceed and turn left.

With only yards between the corner of Soi 3 and the crossing and both seemingly beleiving they have the right of way it's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

To add to the danger or if you prefer the stupidity the police sit in their little box watching motorcycle taxi's turn right, when there is no right turn and fly through any gap between the pedestrians they can find.

I cross all the time from Soi 11 to Soi 8 and yesterday one cop pointed me out to another cop who just shook his head as if to say can't be bothered.......

Anyway what does Jay walking mean exactly....If you cross when there are no cars within striking distance is that still Jay waklking?

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 1

You can be sure they will enforce the law upon the foreigners far more so than they will on the Thais.

You can be sure they will be looking for the foreigners far more so than the Thais and observing if foreigners cross the street anywhere they can catch a foreigner.

A 200 baht fine jaywalking on any of these streets "New Petchaburi Road, Ratchawithi Road, and Rama 4 Road" should be the LEAST of your worries when drivers are sometimes coming at 100 kmph and moto-sais play MotoGP.

Add Ratchadapisek Rd between Pra Ram 9 and Ladprao to that list.

Edited by elzach

Zebra crossings are just decorations on Thailand's streets - painted on to indicate that its a street and you can drive your car along it. Its rare for me to see any car stop at a zebra crossing for a pedestrian. Personally, I have been able to remove every trace of my old belief that a car will slow down for me when crossing the road - its a necessary step to survive in Thailand.

The police may feel like beating their chests because they start doing their job and handing out a few tickets to drivers around zebra crossings, but in reality they are so pathetic.