Stop by immigration upon entering at Suvarnabhumi Airport

It can't be possible to have wife, car and house here. Stay here most of the year without working. And don't own 400k or 40k a month for the extension of stay.

How do you know what is possible and what is not ? Beside that is absolutely possible, remember that you just like anybody else are a member of the forum and are not called to make financial judgments on anybody's else situation.

But you are allowed to make judgement on others. And he wrote that he work wherever he is

Agreed, that you really often don't understand other people's situations at all - many a onesizefitsall judgements from you I notice, passed off as if fact.

Seeing many of your posts, I would guess you where talking about yourself ;)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't be possible to have wife, car and house here. Stay here most of the year without working. And don't own 400k or 40k a month for the extension of stay.

How do you know what is possible and what is not ? Beside that is absolutely possible, remember that you just like anybody else are a member of the forum and are not called to make financial judgments on anybody's else situation.

But you are allowed to make judgement on others. And he wrote that he work wherever he is

Agreed, that you really often don't understand other people's situations at all - many a onesizefitsall judgements from you I notice, passed off as if fact.

Seeing many of your posts, I would guess you where talking about yourself ;)

You do work while in Thailand (with your laptop) and don't pay tax in Thailand. This is illegal.

----------------

To be clear, even if you work on line and DON'T get paid for it,

Any "work related activities", whether you get compensated for it or not if performed in Thailand is considered "working in Thailand".

You need a Thai Work Permit to do those activities you called "Work related". That includes answering emails related to your job in Malaysia.

And you clearly don't have a Thai Work Permit.

The law has been this way for many years, but the Thais simply haven't enforced it. In reality, the law is virtually unenforceable.

It doesn't make sense, but it is a law, and that's a fact. Since when do laws, in Thailand or anywhere, have to make sense?

But that is not why you were stopped.

From what I understand you have been entering on 30 day visa exempt entries for the last 6 years.

That is exactly what the "crackdown" in the last 3 months or so has been about, and Thai immigration will no longer allow those repeated 30 day visa exempt entries any longer.

The new policy went into effect on those passengers arriving by AIR on 13 August 2014, and by LAND entries about a month before that.

You will need to seriously find a way of getting a Thai visa to enter Thailand repeatedly.

No more repeated visa exempt 30 days entries.

The event was organised by the Chamber of Commerce, Upper Northern Thailand Provincial Cluster 1, and was attended by members of the local consular corps and some foreign business owners.

Pol. Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkun, Superintendent of Chiang Mai Immigration, addressed those present along with two of his colleagues. The immigration officers answered questions, including some that CityNews asked readers to submit.

What if I want to work in Thailand?

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type i_safe.gif visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

If you are a 'digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

If you are a 'digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

Offshore work paid to a foreign bank without a Thai employer or presence in Thailand is not illegal. Anecdotal reports of immigration officials confirming this are numerous and documented on these forums.
The statements in those links are not intended as a green light for people to do their online work here forever on TR visas / exemption stamps, but that's the only issue - that OP gets the correct visa for long stay. His work itself is not criminal.
There are dozens of reports of people being told 'no problem for you' by IOs when they explained they work online, don't have Thai customers etc. This thread is yet another one, OP explained exactly what he does here and they let him walk free, just telling him to get a long stay visa. Yet we still have people spreading misinformation with no sources or links for what they post.

I haven't read through all the posts and don't intend to, so if this advice or comment was made previously apologies.

For the poster as a Malaysian the next few months maybe inconvenient. However in the coming years given the movement on a common visa system currently being adopted by some member states, one would imagine this system will be expanded in due time to allow the freer movement of labour of ASEAN citizens between member states as some trade barriers (supposedly) will be loosened and relaxed.

Nah that's not what will happen. It's funny how westerners have this strange conception that AEC will suddenly become like the EU. It won't, at least not for many years.

As long as the OP isn't working in Thailand (and not in one of the 8? professions for which it will become easier to obtain a work permit) nothing will change.

As for a common visa system, nope that's not on the cards either. Thailand and Cambodia have offered a common visa for certain foreigners, but in reality all it does is saves you from applying separately for two visas. Each country has different priorities and offering a common visa like in the EU Schengen room is unlikely to be on the horizon for now.

But he is not a digital nomad running his own business on the internet. And he does not work on a tourist visa.

So that link has nothing to do with him

U don't let go do u?

The *real* issue is his visa, or lack there of....

Some really good advice about the non imm o.... the way I see it, other than *losing* one's passport (which is fraught in itself) the non imm o and then the marriage extension is the way to go.

The non imm o, will give 90 days entry... But, how far into the stay are you able to get the extension based on marriage?

But he is not a digital nomad running his own business on the internet. And he does not work on a tourist visa.

That isn't the definition of a digital nomad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_nomad

'More and more digital nomads are traveling internationally and moving abroad, while they continue to work with clients or employers in the west.'

OP, you say you are working in Thailand in the eyes of immigration this is against the rules they don't know if the work you are doing is associated with your home country or work associated with Thailand.

Why do people come on this forum asking questions on how to bend the law of Thailand and expect others who do everything fair and correctly at their own expense and invest money into Thailand to obey the rules and laws.

The rules and laws are in place for good reason and I for one am glad they are.

Obey the rules and the laws of the country that you wish to live and you will have no problems VERY SIMPLE.

I do not know the exact law but you mentioned you have some monthly income and the officer said you can also put 400 000 Baht in bank for two months. May be you can show your income per month and if it is not 65000 Baht a month then show your income+xxxx amount of money=400 000. I have heard regarding the money in bank there are some visa companies that arrange the money for you but then it cost you much more than 5000.

I also suggest you to contact an immigration office in your city and find out about the law. They should be able to read what remark is written on your entry stamp and if is lawful. They can not just stop you entering the country because according to the law you get 30 days on arrival. If they stop you then it will be against the law of the country. You can also contact your Embassy and explain the situation. I am sure they can not do this but since they have an upper hand in the airport they do what they will. I know for European they also get 30 days on arrival and if they travel out and in again by land they get 14 days and by flight 30 days. I think they may have to prove that you are working. Just try your best. Good luck

The immigration says they wanna see money in Thai Bank Account. Proof that I get THB40,000 in Malaysia does not apply. I also paid income tax in Malaysia. Is not illegal that i work from my laptop even i m in Thailand or in any countries. Need help from you guys, not judging me

It is illegal in Thailand. Not judging just giving info.

You do work while in Thailand (with your laptop) and don't pay tax in Thailand. This is illegal.

The late 20st and 21st century are very hard for Thailand. All those modern things that educate and will change society here. To hard for politicians and law makers.

He's not working in thailand as the actual work happend in Malasia. It is not illegal, but you might say it is a grey area.

Isn't APEC coming in next year which should make it easier for Malaysians to enter Thailand?

You may only need a one-year O Visa by which time APEC will cover you.

I wonder how many farangs will be looking to change nationality to an APEC country if it means easier entry to Thailand?

That isn't the definition of a digital nomad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_nomad

'More and more digital nomads are traveling internationally and moving abroad, while they continue to work with clients or employers in the west.'

He doesn't fit in on that definition at all

I work from my laptop for Malaysian company. I report to them. A client sent email to company in Malaysia and forward to me for consultation. The business does not involve Thailand and i don't get paid by any company in Thailand or by Thai people. My income is paid by Malaysian.

A couple of weeks ago at a meeting in Chiang-Mai, the head off work permits/immigration confirmed that foreigners doing emails (for their company located outside Thailand and paid outside Thailand) do not need a work permit. Its on Thaivisa somewhere - look it up wai2.gif

And in a subsequent thread one who was present in the meeting mentioned the comment was taken out of context. Multiple threads in here. Immigration officers tend to blurt out this and that.

Until someone gets a black on white, government official signed and publicly available document that says you're free to work in Thailand if no Thais are involved, I stick to the definition of work in the Alien Working Act: http://www.lawreform.go.th/lawreform/images/th/legis/en/act/2008/30442.pdf

There was a meeting with TVF and the Immigration commissioner in Bangkok HQ, but no results of that meeting have been published AFAIK. Last I saw here the minutes were being vetted by the immigration ? The question might be answered with a bit more authority if it was presented.

It isn't difficult to check if you are working in Thailand. Look out of the window.

Wrong !!! I guess you don't keep up with latest changes:

The event was organised by the Chamber of Commerce, Upper Northern Thailand Provincial Cluster 1, and was attended by members of the local consular corps and some foreign business owners.

Pol. Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkun, Superintendent of Chiang Mai Immigration, addressed those present along with two of his colleagues. The immigration officers answered questions, including some that CityNews asked readers to submit.

What if I want to work in Thailand?

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type i_safe.gif visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

Yes but the problem is that he is not a digital nomad. He is an employee in a Malaysian company. And working for that company

Sorry , are you stupid or what ?

He is working for a malaysian company , his salary is in Malaysia. If he replies to emails in Thailand or chat with someone online , he is a digital nomad! And you don't have to run your own business to be a digital nomad!

Let me spell it out for you. DIGITAL NOMAD!

You also need to pay tax on your income when staying here that long. And it doesn't matter if your income is from Thailand or Malaysia.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Of course its possible, how would you know what the OP's financial circumstances, I'm in the same boat so I tknow it s possible. A wife, a car and a house is enough to drain ones finances quite easily.

my last extension immigration wanted a letter from the bank confirming 800,000 baht and also wanted copies of my

bankbook showing i didn't go below the 800,000 requirement during the last 3 months. and they checked closely.

immigration office: chiang mai.

Edited by bubbadaguy

I work from my laptop for Malaysian company. I report to them. A client sent email to company in Malaysia and forward to me for consultation. The business does not involve Thailand and i don't get paid by any company in Thailand or by Thai people. My income is paid by Malaysian.

You are not allowed to do that. So if you can get away with it and just show the 40k you should be very happy smile.png

Actually recently the immigration official in ChiangMai said it could be done. There was a whole topic about it on Thaivisa. (havent heard of the BKK one countering this)

Also it seems the immigration officials that were talking to him did not care about it as it was comming from outside of Thailand.. Further support of the statement made by the immigration official in Chiangmai.

Edited by robblok

Of course its possible, how would you know what the OP's financial circumstances, I'm in the same boat so I tknow it s possible. A wife, a car and a house is enough to drain ones finances quite easily.

You should tell that to the immigration officer. He also told him it was not possible to live here if he didn't have the money for the extension