Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away: Thai editorial

webfact

Some people here seem to think that charging farang more than Thai is in fact offering a discount to the Thai. That logic would mean that the 'real' price is in fact the farang price. What a load of buffalo excrement. If it were true and considering that most of the visitors to these places are Thai or from nearby countries (who get the Thai price) then these places are either vastly over charging (based on costs vs. farang price) or are on the brink of bankruptcy as they have to offer loss making prices to Thais.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Where exactly are you talking about when you reference "Falangland"? I've NEVER seen such a thing. Your totally missing the point. It's not about who's rich or poor, it's about getting away with charging one ethnic group one price and another ethnic group of people another price. Here in the U.S., we don't care if you are Thai, Swedish, German or Arabian. If the entry fee for the museum is $15.00, then that's what you pay. Doesn't matter if you are rich/poor or Thai or Australian. This doesn't mean that it might not be over priced but everyone gets charged the same price. Of course there are exceptions to the rules but as a general rule of thumb, this is how it is. If a Thai person actually got a Visa to visit the U.S., they probably aren't poor. Not a well thought out response to a trend that really isn't fair. Just my opinion.

I have a tourist venue (a multi-activity outdoor adventure park). It would be tempting to charge more for farang tourists than locals, because tourists could more readily afford it. But I don't out of principle of not wanting to be a part of double-pricing issue. Local kids are an exception, and they get to play at my park for free. However, it's a bit sad if/when local adults are turned off to coming to the park, because they (probably)think bt.500 is too much for hours of outdoor activities. Compare that with others' adventure parks with only one activity (zip lines) which charge several thousand baht per person - those parks are several hours drive away at a bigger more-touristy city. I don't know whether they have dual-pricing, but if they do, they certainly don't tell inquiring farang.

Go to Uk/London and everyone can go to museums free, masses of foreign tourists, and of course churches and cathedrals are free to go inside.

Compare the taxes people pay in each country and you see why its free, the money to upkeep attractions has to come from somewhere

But if that logic was applied to Thailand.......... I regularly pay taxes to the Thai government, thus helping them to 'upkeep attractions', and then get the farang price when

trying to visit a national park !.

From my home state (Texas). Hunting license fees

Resident Hunting $25.00

Senior Resident Hunting $7.00

General Non-Resident Hunting $315.00

For those who claim there is no price discrimination in other places... It's all over, not just in Thailand. Look back over the dozens of dual pricing threads and you'll find hundreds of examples posted.

source: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/licenses/public/recreational/

Now if you could provide an example of a private enterprise from your home state having dual pricing...

Most people would not argue that there are some places that charge more for non-residents (based on taxation or whatever), however, I have yet to find a foreign venue that is privately owned (Paragon, Muang Boran etc) that charge different prices. Regardless, I always pay the Thai price using drivers or WP...wait, there are certain locations run by a certain bureau that NEVER give the Thai price to foreigners...whistling.gif

Go to Uk/London and everyone can go to museums free, masses of foreign tourists, and of course churches and cathedrals are free to go inside.

Compare the taxes people pay in each country and you see why its free, the money to upkeep attractions has to come from somewhere

.... and the nice UK (in this case) taxpayers then allow non-contributors free access so they can be educated, can enjoy themselves, learn something about the history & culture (including something about non-discrimination) and can perhaps reflect on this generosity when they next see discriminatory prices in Thailand.

Incidentally, I've found that London cathedral & abbeys (Westminster comes to mind) ask for a "donation" but Norwich, York, Bath & Beverley are certainly free & pretty interesting too.

My wife absolutely loves the free attractions when we visit UK. She even says that, while expensive, the paid attractions are far better than she's seen in Thailand. Mind you, I was paying smile.pngsmile.png ....

I took a boat from mainland Trang to one of the islands last year, with my Thai wife,her mother and father, elder brother and his child and their brother-in-law, all of them being from the said island. We reached the pier on the other side, and as my wife was paying the boatman for the trip,B20 person, the silly prick pipes up ,' B50 for the farang'. Anyways, the whole extended family turned on the idiot, threatening him with various acts of violence, and I just sniggered to myself from the sidelines, and ended up only paying B20.

he does not know, thats why he said presume

They only want to do something because although they are lying about tourist coming back they are not! This is a government and people who believe lying a little is o.k. just like excepting corruption.

As noted it is a mindset, even in the police station and hospital that charges you more is o.k., as recently as last month Bangkok/Hospital gave me a quote in writing for 15,000 for a procedure when i came back a week later to confirm the procedure the original doctor had overbook his day so I was told another doctor could do the procedure. After doing some paperwork I was told the charge will be 25,000, I pull out and gave her the slip of earlier quote and she/he came right out and say that is " Thai price " " you Falang " was was stunned knew and heard about it before never could confirm.

Here what is new... all smoke and mirror!

In Australia, it would cost me (as an Aus citizen) less for hospital visits than it would for foreigners.

I presume this is due to the medical care of Australian Citizens/ Residents visits being subsidized by government healthcare program, correct?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Australia

Not a case that the cost of the procedure is quoted by the hospital as costing differently to different nationalities

In the posters case, not talking about any government. Subsidies or health care program... In both cases, paying 100% of actual costs... In cash

How do you know that government subsidies weren't involved? That info certainly isn't in the post.

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Where exactly are you talking about when you reference "Falangland"? I've NEVER seen such a thing. Your totally missing the point. It's not about who's rich or poor, it's about getting away with charging one ethnic group one price and another ethnic group of people another price. Here in the U.S., we don't care if you are Thai, Swedish, German or Arabian. If the entry fee for the museum is $15.00, then that's what you pay. Doesn't matter if you are rich/poor or Thai or Australian. This doesn't mean that it might not be over priced but everyone gets charged the same price. Of course there are exceptions to the rules but as a general rule of thumb, this is how it is. If a Thai person actually got a Visa to visit the U.S., they probably aren't poor. Not a well thought out response to a trend that really isn't fair. Just my opinion.

Here's an exception: in the US, there are 'senior discounts.' No matter whether some of the seniors reside in multi-million $$ estates with 5-car garages. Alternatively, In March, I went to a National Park in the US. The Park Ranger at the gate asked my age. I said '61.' He said, "too bad, I'm going to have to charge you the full price, but come back next year, and you get a discount for being 62." (P.S. I'm definitely not one who owns a mansion on a hill). I didn't try bantering with him about how my b'day was just 11 days away.

Here's what I suggest for Thailand and for the US: If they want to have two- (or three-) tiered price scheme, simply ask the applicant whether they consider themselves 'low-income.' Of course, many people will lie and say 'yes' - but it's human nature to lie. Even so, some who are well-off will answer honestly.

on 2nd thought: just have one price for adults, one for kids, and go from there.

Yes this double dipping is annoying and it gets my back up.

I'll give you an example, I once went to the crocodile farm with my girlfriend I asked the lady behind the counter how much for the tickets and her reply was for me it was 400 baht and for your lady 200 baht...So I questioned the price deference and her reply was you'er a

Foreigner and she's Thai, My reply to her was in my country it's the same same not whether your Thai, Chinese or Japanese we do not put the prices up because your a Thai all same same didn't she get upset..... All I can say to the Thai's that double dip it's not helping your declining tourists.

Edited by Eli1

The state, with its entrance fee policy, for temples and national parks, shows all thais how to do it.
This dual pricing then permeates the entire population
Where ever are not represent the prices on goods, there you have a Thai and
a white - foreigner - longnose - price.
Sad but true.
Thais see it as ok, and that's what bothers me.
I myself only buy in markets with clear pricing on goods (7/11, Makro, Lotus, Big C, etc.)
In other cases, I send my Thai family for buying. I try to stand far beside from my family,
so that the seller does not even come up with the idea that we belong together, and he can charge more then normally.
Sad but true.

Suriya4, in "civilized" countries, charges for locals and tourists are the same, expensive or cheap there is no discrimination between them. Unfortunately, much as I hate to say this but 90% if actions and comments that' I have heard here, would definitely be construed as racism, in "civilized" countries.

And how the Thai goes to falangland ? yes , with the money of falang, so Thai not pay ,because falang pay everything 555

The tourist is not staying away due to dual pricing and will not return if this practice is stopped. The problem is more complex and needs a proper scientific study to determine the reasons and how to address it. At present most of SEA is suffering a decline in tourism and needs to be addressed as a regional problem. At present a major Chinese travel agency is offering 30% discounts for Thailand tours and is still not making headway, why?

Sometimes you can just overthink a problem,,

- political instability

- safety

- dual pricing

- unsafe travelling

- rip off culture

How many scientists do you need?

If you live in london and visit Warwick castle and get a ticket that allows you to go again within a year, your hardly going to go back in 6 months time, you have been there and enjoyed it, whats the point.. The tickets are often valid for 1 year because its highly unlikely you will return and it makes the high price appear more reasonable

"Overcharging and double-pricing are also a problem for foreign tourists in some other countries."

Is it?

On the same scale as it is in Thailand?

Legally?

I wouldn't be surprised to be honest, just never seem it or noticed I guess.

Most museums, castles tourist attractions in the UK charge very high prices but you can visit the sites as often as you like in a year... A foreign tourist pays the same price but is probably on a short term holiday and won't want to go to, for example, Warwick Castle twice in a week! This, in my opinion, is a subtle type of double pricing. Locals can visit year round if they want but Tourists pay the same price for one visit...

By way of light relief in a subject of ongoing irritation to us, a couple of weeks ago I set up a Thai friend. We arranged to go to MOCA the Museum of Contemporary Art in Bangkok. I had done the online research in advance and knew that seniors got in free. When we arrived at the cashier I handed over my passport without a word and the cashier gave me a ticket free then she turned to my younger Thai friend and asked him for 180 baht. I told him "Farang free, Thai 180 baht". He was thunderstruck. He found out the real reason later.

Interesting too that at this new institution the differential pricing is not race based. It's an excellent place well worth a visit.

Suriya4, in "civilized" countries, charges for locals and tourists are the same, expensive or cheap there is no discrimination between them. Unfortunately, much as I hate to say this but 90% if actions and comments that' I have heard here, would definitely be construed as racism, in "civilized" countries.

So USA must be very uncivilized as there are hundreds of examples of locals and tourists being charged different prices for the same products/services.

I would venture to say that there are very FEW countries that do not have some variation in prices for locals, seniors, ladies, kids, etc etc all of which could be considered to be discrimination based on one factor or another.

People always love the discounts as long as they are the one getting it...otherwise it is blatant discrimination.

Perhaps one of the most heinous aspects of this dual pricing is in the National Park system, or at the tourist attractions, like Wat Po, and the temples in Bangkok. There is actually a law on the books, whereby an expat, who can show a drivers license, or other proof of living here, can enjoy the same price a Thai person enjoys as an entrance fee. The only problem, is that nobody that works for the park system has ever been told about it, and it they have been told, they pretend not to know, or they do not care. I have been in some pretty major argument with park employees, when they charge my girlfriend 20 baht, and attempt to charge me 200 baht. It is positively heinous. Thailand needs to do something about this. It is one thing to make us feel unwelcome on many other levels, but this is such an exaggerated version of that. To be treated as a tourist after you have been living here for a decade? What is up with that?

I’m sure you traveled many times to Europe the US and Australia just to experience you had to pay three times the price for a meal in a restaurant because you are Thai- didn't you?

I've never being charged three the price of a Thai in a restaurant. Double pricing usually applies to tourist attractions. I have a work permit so I pay the Thai price...

Suriya- All Thais are not poor and all ' farang' are certainly not rich....

Many Thai-Chinese are very rich, probably much richer than the average Western tourist, with your logic why doesn't Thai National parks and Wat Pho have a special "Thai-Chinese price" (like 3 times higher than the Thai-Thai price)?

Where are the Tourist attractions in "Farangland" that charges Thais more than Farangs?

You try to answer logically to a (preposterous) troll post? blink.png

(...wink.png )

Edited by Tchooptip

Of course the practice is based on racism, I'm Caucasian and my gf is Philipina, as long as she doesn't speak she gets Thai price and I'm charged anything up to double. National Parks are one of the biggest rip-offs in Thailand, falang are charged up to 10 times more than Thai's, why? From what I have seen falangs are more eco sensitive in NP's where as Thai's are not, who costs more to clean up after? In my country if you charge like that you go to gaol for racial discrimination. Get your act together Thailand, start acting and behaving like you want foreign tourists to visit, enjoy and spend money.

The tourist is not staying away due to dual pricing and will not return if this practice is stopped. The problem is more complex and needs a proper scientific study to determine the reasons and how to address it. At present most of SEA is suffering a decline in tourism and needs to be addressed as a regional problem. At present a major Chinese travel agency is offering 30% discounts for Thailand tours and is still not making headway, why?

Sometimes you can just overthink a problem,,

- political instability

- safety

- dual pricing

- unsafe travelling

- rip off culture

How many scientists do you need?

All of that has been part of Thailand for ever and the tourist still came.

Obviously a troll post; no one could possibly be so stupid

Sarcasm!!!!

Thais are poor. Falang rich.When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price.So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price.This is the universal law of same same no change.If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

typical attitude of the thai scammers,but so wrong. Go to Uk/London and everyone can go to museums free, masses of foreign tourists, and of course churches and cathedrals are free to go inside.

The national museums are free mate...Canterbury Cathedral: about 30 quid for a family to enter.. Leeds castle: over 100 pounds....etc etc etc....

Yes, maybe you are right. But one of the most refreshing things about this forum is that we are not restricted by those concepts. We can talk about women, in the way we want to, as men who are not emasculated. Yes, this may offend some women. But, that is not my issue. And we can talk about Thais in the way we feel, without being subject to the petty limitations imposed on us by a liberal system, with skin as thin as a layer of gauze. We may offend some Thai people occasionally. But the reality is that I have alot of affection, respect, and goodwill toward the vast majority of Thais I encounter, so it is not done with any sort of hatred, or malice, that is for sure. We are simply venting. It is a beautiful thing, to be able to speak your mind, without fear of censure from the all too powerful women's interest groups in the US, and Europe, and from the liberals who have been cowed into submission by the extremists, the religious, the minorities, and those that are overly sensitive to race prejudice.

Look, I myself am somewhat liberal, and enjoy friendships with many people of color, lesbians, gays, jews, muslims, and more. I get along with most people, and enjoy diversity. But, I do not not like being told what to say, out of fear or reprisal. So, keep the comments about what is construed as racism off this site. This is a site that enjoys freedom of speech, thank you very much.

Edited by spidermike007