Your First Time In Thailand

simon43

2/6

Bought the phone. A new one with a facility to reduce background noise so her sponsor could not hear me (or anybody else!) talking in the background.

Sent money once - just for an emergency. Never done it since and certainly won't again.

Guess I will have to try harder if I'm going to get all six!

:o

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once i was at this (free) open bar at the Phuket Hilton and i spit in some russians pineapple basket (apparently a very special basket if your russian) because i thought it was a garbage can. I also got 3 free 26's of vodka from the open bar. (free) Open bars are probably the most amazing thing in the world. If you have 2 pay bahtz for fornicating in thailand then thats really offside.

Guilty as charged.Still,you live and learn.Mind you,when I look back at it now......Holy crap,how COULD I have been so stupid?I knew what was going on and still coughed up.Reckon I deserved it in a way.

Just the one mistake, brought the girl of the evening a pair of jeans to wear ,since the clothes she had on would ahve given the security guard a heart attack.

Mistake? yes she was not that good..............................

Brought my son (18yrs) here last for golf ,he never made any mistakes, well none that he has told me of.

PS At 18 yrs old little money, 6ft,slim good looking (like his Dad) Pattaya is apparently good fun and cheap!! :o

Just the one mistake, brought the girl of the evening a pair of jeans to wear ,since the clothes she had on would ahve given the security guard a heart attack.

Mistake? yes she was not that good..............................

Brought my son (18yrs) here last for golf ,he never made any mistakes, well none that he has told me of.

PS At 18 yrs old little money, 6ft,slim good looking (like his Dad) Pattaya is apparently good fun and cheap!! :o

Im sure he has a few wild stories that he hasnt told you about

so are most of these mistakes being made by guys in their mid 40's chasing young girls in their 20's or is this across the ages?

i was 21 when i was in thailand (now 22) and never really had any problems getting ripped off by girls. had a girlfiredn and money was never an issue or outlandish presents.

i'll be back in a few years after my pgce and will probably date thai girls again. is it really that bad? never been into paying for it or chasing bar girls so surely there's loads of nice normal lassies that just want a regular old relationship eh?

so are most of these mistakes being made by guys in their mid 40's chasing young girls in their 20's or is this across the ages?

i was 21 when i was in thailand (now 22) and never really had any problems getting ripped off by girls. had a girlfiredn and money was never an issue or outlandish presents.

i'll be back in a few years after my pgce and will probably date thai girls again. is it really that bad? never been into paying for it or chasing bar girls so surely there's loads of nice normal lassies that just want a regular old relationship eh?

Most of the girls are just looking for a regular relationship.

When your old the girls come looking for you but I think thats where the mistakes are often made, because young girls rarely chase much older men because there attracted to them, I think chasing a girl would minimise your risk. thats my opninion

the gold buying, bug eating, house building for mum caper only really applies if you are involved in relationships with the peasants of thailand.

my wife hates gold (says it makes you look like a poor person), would never dream of eating insects (or food from a roadside stall) and her parents already have a fantastic house.

you people should really try mixing in a better class of thai instead of giving all your money to the dregs.

the gold buying, bug eating, house building for mum caper only really applies if you are involved in relationships with the peasants of thailand.

my wife hates gold (says it makes you look like a poor person), would never dream of eating insects (or food from a roadside stall) and her parents already have a fantastic house.

you people should really try mixing in a better class of thai instead of giving all your money to the dregs.

Oh ..! you're sooo Hi So.. let us all bow down in your exulted presence.. :D

totster :D

'Peasants' and 'Dregs' all in the same post. Infact your whole post reads like a 'How Best To Interact with the Natives Whilst Away In The Colonies' guide book.

Tell me, do you need to think like you to fit in with the better class of Thai?

Seeing as how I am a girl and my husband a guy the short answer is "no" :D

Just for fun...

I was going to make this a poll, but couldn't figure out how to do the multiple options...

Anyway, Stickman et Al warns us all about the 'classic' scenarios that seem to arise with Thai women. I wonder how many of them you fell more? (My own comments in brackets)

Did you buy her a new mobile phone? (Er, yes I did, well more than one actually) Nope, no mobile phones when I came. But, he bought me one later on.

Did you buy her some gold? (Hmm, did that as well) Yes, his wedding ring, but then he buys me earrings for birthdays, bracelets for Valentines day so I guess he could answer this one "Yes" :D

Did you send her money every month? (Yep, did that as well, too much money!) Nope, never been apart for more than 2 months, and hes never sent me money either :D

Did you go and visit her family and eat dead frogs and bugs? (Yes! I didn't want to appear rude so I ate everything!!) Southerners don't eat bugs. Did try squirrel curry once tho.

OK, what about building a house for her mum cos the old one was falling down? (Drat, I fell for that one too!) Parents remodeled their own house with their own money

OK, the classic one. DID YOU BUY HER A BAR? (AAAAhhhh, I did, I did!! I can't believe you are asking me this!! [but there was actually a real motive for doing so]) Nope, we built a restaurant together tho, does that count? :o

So, I seem to score 6 out of 6 for being the most gullible guy in Thailand. At least I can have the last laugh by managing to get a successful relationship out of all this?

Did anyone else fall for these 'scams'? (Maybe scam is too strong a word....)

Or did you fall for any other classic Thai 'scenarios'? (Sick buffalo syndrome etc)

Simon

Don't worry Simon, if you don't feel scammed then it wasn't a scam, was it? :D

'Peasants' and 'Dregs' all in the same post. Infact your whole post reads like a 'How Best To Interact with the Natives Whilst Away In The Colonies' guide book.

I like to mix with people with a similar level of education and similar values to my own.

I didn't travel 6000 miles to live my life surrounded by the brown-skinned equivalent of a council estate chav.

All of the things the original poster mentioned are connected with the peasants of the country.

It didn't happen to me, because we met in Singapore, and when it seemed there might be the possibility of each of us being 'right' for the other to marry, we came to her home in Isaan.

But, reading the lamentations that periodically appear on this website, I reckon Western males would be done a great service if Don Muang stamped in their passports: "You have a penis and a brain, but remember that you only have enough blood to work one at once.".

I like to mix with people with a similar level of education and similar values to my own.

I didn't travel 6000 miles to live my life surrounded by the brown-skinned equivalent of a council estate chav.

All of the things the original poster mentioned are connected with the peasants of the country.

Fair enough, thats your opinion and nobody can take it away from you. It does seem though that your education and values are at a level that makes you feel you can look down on a lot of people who are less fortunate than you.....

I arived first time in 1985 a fresh faced 25 looked 18 :o before mobile phones. Was staying at good hotel, cannot for the life of me remember where it is now, probably a pile of rubble.

I went to a bar, and was a very hansum man. The girl I wanted did not come home with me, so I went back to the hotel and a tall creature propositioned me in the foyer. I said yes.

We were starting to get friendly over a drink. The hotel security came knocking on the door saying I had not booked my guest in and I should pay for an extra guest, sign here. Then it all went blank. When I woke up the next morning, my camera and some presents I had bought for friends at home were missing. I had stashed my wallet and p/port while waiting for my guest. I was as anoyed that I had lost the film in the camera as loosing the camera, it was replaced.

I reported the incident to the reception so they knew it was happening in the hotel, not expecting any result. I pointed out that their staff member would have been able to ID the person as they came to my room. I spent the morning in a local police station looking at mug shots and pictures of groups of bar girls. They must have thought I was a wally, when they started showing me the same faces again, I grabbed one of the photo albums I had already seen and showed the same photos to the cop. This game finninshed after that and I was taken back to my hotel. Spent the rest of my time in the gym not wanting to play with the locals. The gym instructor started to show muay thai, he had trouble understanding how a falang could master the double kick so quickly. I did not explain the martial arts I spent time studying.

Did not go back to Thailand for 17 years, more for lack of oportunity than not wanting to go.

People who eat from roadside stalls or wear gold are the dregs of Thai society? :o

You know you are allowed your own opinion even when you're married.

People who eat from roadside stalls or wear gold are the dregs of Thai society? :D

You know you are allowed your own opinion even when you're married.

That is my opinion.

As I said, back home I did not mix with the dregs off the council estates as my world was completely different to theirs.

I worked, they didn't. I was educated, they weren't. I supported myself without looking for handouts, they didn't. Do you see the connection?

Still, you sound happy with your lot so I'm happy for you.

That is my opinion.

As I said, back home I did not mix with the dregs off the council estates as my world was completely different to theirs.

I worked, they didn't. I was educated, they weren't. I supported myself without looking for handouts, they didn't. Do you see the connection?

Still, you sound happy with your lot so I'm happy for you.

I understand the connection, but to say that all Thais that eat off roadside stalls (to take one of your examples) are the dregs of Thai society is a little bit of a broad statement don't you think? That covers a lot of Thai people (educated workers like yourself especially), and to say they are all dregs of Thai society because they eat conveniently and cheaply is foolish.

Edited by bkkmadness

He just sounds like a snob to me.. I've never taken handouts or benefits.. but don't have a problem mixing with those that do.. we all lead different lives..

Just my opinion.. I'm sure to everyone else he comes across as a really nice guy.. :o

He just sounds like a snob to me.. I've never taken handouts or benefits.. but don't have a problem mixing with those that do.. we all lead different lives..

Just my opinion.. I'm sure to everyone else he comes across as a really nice guy.. :o

Totster, your avatar says it all regarding people who make disparaging comments about others....

Personally I liked him from the first post.

Just for fun...

I was going to make this a poll, but couldn't figure out how to do the multiple options...

Anyway, Stickman et Al warns us all about the 'classic' scenarios that seem to arise with Thai women. I wonder how many of them you fell more? (My own comments in brackets)

Did you buy her a new mobile phone? (Er, yes I did, well more than one actually)

Did you buy her some gold? (Hmm, did that as well)

Did you send her money every month? (Yep, did that as well, too much money!)

Did you go and visit her family and eat dead frogs and bugs? (Yes! I didn't want to appear rude so I ate everything!!)

OK, what about building a house for her mum cos the old one was falling down? (Drat, I fell for that one too!)

OK, the classic one. DID YOU BUY HER A BAR? (AAAAhhhh, I did, I did!! I can't believe you are asking me this!! [but there was actually a real motive for doing so])

So, I seem to score 6 out of 6 for being the most gullible guy in Thailand. At least I can have the last laugh by managing to get a successful relationship out of all this?

Did anyone else fall for these 'scams'? (Maybe scam is too strong a word....)

Or did you fall for any other classic Thai 'scenarios'? (Sick buffalo syndrome etc)

Simon

crikes simon,

you must be worth about $10million freaking dollars to survive those drama's but it's real nice to hear your a bit happy.

it seems the only thing you aint done is buy your lovely lady a condo in pattaya land.

that seems to be the one that sends poor old john heading for the big tiger.

still got your sense of humour and thats something john freaking loses when he does all those things your professing to have done.

cheers to you my friend and may buddha continue to kick you through the goal posts of life as you

sir have certainly served a long and hard apprenticeship.

:D:o:D

A snob? noooooo or possibly he just hasn't been here for any amount of time .... [FLAME DELETED. /Meadish] ...

My partner's sis is about to deliver the second baby ... the mom/baby will get tons (figuratively) of gold ... between the 2 extended families they own 1/2 a province (again figuratively) ... so there goes the garbage about gold ... since both are college educated outside of Thailand.

The partner will eat from food vendors all over. As will I ... they all own houses etc .....

so why does someone equate owning gold ... or eating street vendor food ... to being poverty stricken leeches?

I've arrived at this thread a bit late, however my life here seems to split into two distinct parts. In answer to the OP, for the first 5 years, being with my ex, I can say that I never bought her a mobile or gold. I never sent her money because I was here, definitely I went and joined in upcountry, I have never built a house in my life, BUT I did buy a bar (still came out of it reasonably. Just a little down and I do mean a little, financially).

The next 2.5 years to date. Gold- yes, but just a little for special occasions. Money sent - yes, whilst I was back home for 3 months two years ago. The rest of it all - no.

Maybe the reason for the change is that in the second instance, the lady's my wife?

The implication seems to be there

:o:D:D:D

absolutely brilliant. not only do you say it is now an 'implication' you also say the implication 'seems' to be there.

so i didn't write what you said then.

pay attention please.