Related bodies meet on prevention of Bangkok floods

webfact

Related bodies meet on prevention of Bangkok floods

flo.jpg

file photo

BANGKOK, 4 September 2014 (NNT) – The water management policy committee has convened a meeting to step up preventive measures against flooding in Bangkok after the Prime Minister’s call for close attention to the problem this rainy season.

As chairman of the committee, Gen Chatchai Sarikalya discussed with representatives from various agencies, including the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, about short-term measures to be taken to stave off flooding both in inner and outer Bangkok.

Emphasis was placed on such areas with chronic flood problems as Don Mueang, the National Memorial on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road, Chaeng Wattana Road, Suwinthawong Road and inbound lanes of Sukhumvit Road.

Amidst continuous heavy downpours, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha earlier expressed concerns over potential flooding in the capital that would cause an impact on the general public.

Therefore, Gen Chatchai has instructed all involved agencies to closely cooperate with one another in the prevention effort. More water pumps are to be installed in high risk areas, with more drainage workers to be dispatched for duty after heavy rain.

Electric train project contractors have also been told to build temporary drains around their sites to avoid causing inundation on the road.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-04 footer_n.gif

They could be like Yingluck. Once the flood waters receded, she went on her business of promoting and financing the development of shopping centers in the north. After all, people can seek refuge in the food court. No need to improve street drainage systems. It's too late to do anything about this year's flooding.

• Like 2

AS per usual,wait till the very last minute to do something,

the rainy season is already here.anyway this happens every

year,and has been flooding for donkeys years,surely a

solution would have be found by now.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

They could be like Yingluck. Once the flood waters receded, she went on her business of promoting and financing the development of shopping centers in the north. After all, people can seek refuge in the food court. No need to improve street drainage systems. It's too late to do anything about this year's flooding.

Is it a requirement for all Thai PM's to be hands on for every issue 365 days a year or just certain political parties? I also didn't realise that Yingluck had a business of "promoting and financing development of shopping centres in the north".

I suppose it could have been worse, a PM could have been on holiday with their family in the Maldives when the floods hit Bangkok and have their Party spokesman lie on their behalf by stating the PM was in Bangkok helping the flood effort, not in the Maldives at all............coffee1.gif

http://asiancorrespondent.com/67990/facts-and-rumors-in-politics/

Good to see that the Water Management Policy Committee and Gen Chatchai Sarikalya have decreed that flooding only affects Bangkok and that the rest of the country can go fend for itself.

fab insult to beatles fan. I liked your post.... nobody in office gives a real flying fuct about what goes on externally from BKK.

I agree that flooding is controlled, and aimed at places that can take the water weight outside of BKK at a last straw, like Phatumtani.

However, why do you have to then suddenly, again, blame the current government, when you know the PTP fucted it all up in 2011?

• Like 2

Good to see that the Water Management Policy Committee and Gen Chatchai Sarikalya have decreed that flooding only affects Bangkok and that the rest of the country can go fend for itself.

Glad you agree with something fab4 ..... God helps those who help themselves... wai2.gif

'Related bodies meet ". Does this mean they will form a human shield ?

No.. means they'll form a corrupt government. Related bodies meet = PTP => People Together Participate, Under Documented Duping (UDD).

Edited by DrLom

'Related bodies meet ". Does this mean they will form a human shield ?

No.. means they'll form a corrupt government. Related bodies = PTP => People Together Participate Under Documented Duping (UDD).

We all live in a yellow submarine. Right wack

• Like 1

Is it a requirement for all Thai PM's to be hands on for every issue 365 days a year or just certain political parties? I also didn't realise that Yingluck had a business of "promoting and financing development of shopping centres in the north".

I suppose it could have been worse, a PM could have been on holiday with their family in the Maldives when the floods hit Bangkok and have their Party spokesman lie on their behalf by stating the PM was in Bangkok helping the flood effort, not in the Maldives at all............coffee1.gif

or even worse, always gone...

Yingluck holds the record for making the most frequent foreign trips while in office. She has made 56 trips to 43 countries around the world over the past two years, since taking office in 2011.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PMs-trips-are-not-for-fun-Surapong-30215920.html

At least there's one Thai who know the outside world exists.

• Like 2

Bangkok is of course the most important place in Thailand and an economic heartland. So it is understandable. However preventing floods in BKK does not exclude prevention of floods elsewhere. But of course it all depends if you read this with red glasses or normal ones.

• Like 1

Let's hope they don't follow PTP's nice plan and deliberately flood others, for a long period, just to keep Bangkok dry.

Then, to rub salt in, promise a derisory 5k compensations, and of course fail to pay it out to many.

• Like 1

or even worse, always gone...

Yingluck holds the record for making the most frequent foreign trips while in office. She has made 56 trips to 43 countries around the world over the past two years, since taking office in 2011.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PMs-trips-are-not-for-fun-Surapong-30215920.html

and your point is? You obviously didn't bother reading the link you provided. Still have no fear, I doubt that the record for foreign trips will be broken by the current "government"......................

I'd like to venture a guess maybe during dry season clean out the drains maybe dredge the river and Klongs to lower there bed which I found lowers water level. Fine anyone throwing trash in river and Klongs. Maybe even upgrade the sewer lines. but now just have to cope because foot dragging got us here. Oh silly me can't do that during dry season because not rain not need. Ah thainess I just love there thinking.

• Like 1

Let's hope they don't follow PTP's nice plan and deliberately flood others, for a long period, just to keep Bangkok dry.

Then, to rub salt in, promise a derisory 5k compensations, and of course fail to pay it out to many.

I was flooded longer because of this i still trusted the lies of YL.. no flooding.. no flooding.. until it hit us. over a month living in a flooded house is not fun. The lies of the PTP and the mistakes they made during that flooding were enormous. The army.. really helped out a lot at that time giving us food and drinks and making sure we could be transported to buy food. PTP.. liars that only wanted some pic ops.

The worst was.. there was data from planes and satellites available.. they must have known that flooding was unavoidable but still they kept lying to us that there would be no floods. Many people really hated the government for this. I talked with them as we were all facing the same problems they all agreed that the PTP were a bunch of liars. (but I guess many voted PTP afterwards anyway) I live just north of BKK. Less then 20 minutes to get into BKK in one of the most flooded parts Bang Bua Thong / Bangyai. We were lucky that our village was build on the highest grounds in that area so I only had 20-25cm in the house but 70-80 cm in the streets.

I'd like to venture a guess maybe during dry season clean out the drains maybe dredge the river and Klongs to lower there bed which I found lowers water level. Fine anyone throwing trash in river and Klongs. Maybe even upgrade the sewer lines. but now just have to cope because foot dragging got us here. Oh silly me can't do that during dry season because not rain not need. Ah thainess I just love there thinking.

Replace the Canels that was there in the beginning.....they were there for a purpose.

fab insult to beatles fan. I liked your post.... nobody in office gives a real flying fuct about what goes on externally from BKK.

I agree that flooding is controlled, and aimed at places that can take the water weight outside of BKK at a last straw, like Phatumtani.

However, why do you have to then suddenly, again, blame the current government, when you know the PTP fucted it all up in 2011?

Firstly the username fab4 has nothing to do with the beatles, think Dell comics.

secondly, I'm blaming the bangkokcentric attitude of the current "government" because you may not have noticed but the north has been hit by extreme flooding and eight people have died but they decide to hold an urgent meeting to discuss flooding in Bangkok?

and thirdly, other posts have pointed out that the severe flooding of 2011/2012 was made a damn site worse as the result of p*** poor policies of a succession of governments - decisions concerning the water resource management, be it irrigation, hydro electric power or flood prevention involve a plethora agencies. In fighting between the "democrat" Bangkok Governor and the government didn't exactly help matters.

To say that the PTP fucted it all up in 2011 is simplistic, partisan and pointless.

Glad you agree with something fab4 ..... God helps those who help themselves... wai2.gif

What, like burglars?