My experience extending tourist visa on Monday - 1.5 hour wait and very rude staff.

Good evening.... Friday is almost upon us!!!

Just to let you know what I experienced on Monday at Aran office.

I'm on second tourist visa (previous from Hong Kong and PP)

Went on Sunday to collect forms and find out what I needed to extend it by one month. Get the forms and was asked where I was staying - with friends in Klong Hat and was told I would need proof where I was staying, photo copy of house book and landlord ID.

So we got the stuff together and went back on Monday and I will be honest was met with the rudest immigration guy I have met in the 9 months I have been travelling. He ignored me even when I tried to speak Thai, spoke only to my Thai friend, picked his nose and wiped it on my form, spoke on his phone, had a cup of tea all while I'm standing right in front of him trying to figure things out. He ordered my friend to draw a map of where the house was. Asked how we knew each other etc and then left us sitting there for almost an hour while my forms and passport sat in his window. Then he got his co worker to speak to me in English to tell me I won't be allowed another Thai Visa should I apply for it and that I have spent enough time here. Sorry pal, Thailand is stuck with me for another year.

Maybe I got a bad guy on a bad day but I couldn't get over the rudeness.

Such carry on for a 30 stay extension on a tourist visa, where I have always played by the rules and never had any trouble in Thailand.

I'm just glad I won't have to do my 90 day reports to him in future!!!

As you are only on a tourist visa, once I had the passport stamped and handed back to me I would have asked to speak to his superior officier or even the head of the department and placed a complaint against the guy. Clearly he is not doing his job professionally and also threatening you that you can not extend or get another visa to visit Thailand. As a person here not on a tourist visa I have to bite my tongue and keep quiet as I know I will have to meet the officer again in a years time and only get hassle. At least you did get the extensionthumbsup.gif

yes that true, thailand does have the rudest immigration officer in the world! Maybe its the uniform, maybe its the power they have over tourists.

In the others hand, i have been many times to north america, and i found the immigration courteous and professional!

But you should feel really lucky, because if you know how they theat Burmese, Cambodian...

• Like 2

I would have made a complaint only I am waiting for my visa and work permit to come through, have just signed a contract and heading to Bangkok to process it so I didn't want to do anything to upset that.

This is my first real run in with unprofessionally Thai immigration, your man at the Aran border actually told me I was the first person to say hello and ask him how I was that day. I sometimes feel and have heard from experience that people arrive at border crossing and immigration offices prepared for a battle and then can come across rude. Kill them with kindness and get to the Thai smile ya deserve!

I guess for me I would want to be nice to the people that are keeping me in a job, Whatever nationality.

Try starting a Thai bank account, practice a few words of Thai, maybe even donate blood at the local hospital.

Flash these documents around, and you may break some ice in the coldest bureaucratic heart. AA

OP, while my experience was not nearly as bad, I have the feeling that immigration officers at smaller offices outside of Bangkok, that don't deal with a lot of foreigners (or when they do, only Burmese or Cambodian or occasionally Lao migrant workers) are not nearly as pleasant as the ones in Bangkok.

For example, back in May I went to get my first tourist visa extension done at Chachoengsao. There were only a few people in the office, all of them Burmese (strangely not Cambodian as I would have expected more Cambodians given the relative proximity to Cambodia). The first lady was all smiles and friendly and asked me what I wanted to do and told me to photocopy all relevant passport pages. As it was 11.39am and they wanted to knock off early for lunch, I was told only to come back at 1pm. This despite the fact that only one or two Burmese guys were still in the office then and they could have possibly had enough time to extend my visa in the next 20 next minutes.

When I came back at 1pm, after waiting for over an hour I came to this immigration guy who was rude with everyone. I didn't have a pen so he told me to go away and fill out my application form before serving me. Once done I waited a few more minutes and then he asked where I live. I told him in Bangkok but in one of the districts closest to the border with Chachoengsao. He said ordinarily I would need to get my extension done in Bangkok. But then he said OK do you have any proof of where you live? Let your girlfriend/fiance/wife send us a fax and then come back. I was thinking yeah right like I'm gonna accept all this wasted time here only to be told to come back another day. So I told him the truth - we don't have a fax. How about email or something? And then I remembered the address on the back of my license. I showed him that and he said OK good - now go and make a photocopy. So I did that brought it back, he accepted it but still gave me a lecture about how next time I would need to go to Bangkok unless I'm registered as living in Chachoengsao, Nakorn Nayok or Prachinburi (the provinces that local immigration office covers).

While I was waiting for my extension to be processed he treated another Thai lady, who was there to extend her Japanese boss' 1-year visa non-B (I think the guy was running a factory nearby) even more poorly. He basically asked her why she had come, and why she had forgotten some documents and why the original person responsible for this guy's application wasn't there (apparently they needed a power of attorney allowing said person to handle the boss' application). He told her to "stuff it" and then to "go away and come back with an updated power of attorney, the missing documents etc." and then he might be able to help. She was sobbing on the phone but after a long wait couldn't do anything other than leave.

Finally when my passport came back I was so elated to leave. After about 2.5 hours of waiting including lunch it was time to go. The attitude of this guy was terrible.

At Chaeng Wattana on the other hand, my second extension was a breeze. Without any attitude whatsoever I was pleasantly surprised when the I/O asked me to make another photocopy of a missing page in my passport and then to come back without getting another queue number. Very nice treatment indeed. The whole process took less than 20 minutes from the time I filled out the form to the time my passport was handed back.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ldnguy, on 04 Sept 2014 - 21:57, said:

You get rude immigration officers all over the world. Some of the rudest I've met are in USA.

Agree with that, plus the rudest (actually obnoxious) airline check-in clerk I've ever encountered in the world was in Houston.

On the other hand, the rudest 'usher' (getting large numbers of folks from just arrived flights into queues for passport check) was a 5' 0" overweight middle aged lady in Melbourne.

On the other hand last time I went to get a replacement permanent resident book in Chiang Mai (old PR book full) the very pleasant young man (perfect English) said he had now finished his shift and asked me and my adult son to join him for a coffee at a nice coffee shop across the road from his office. Very pleasant conversation.

On the other hand I have a European acquaintance who looks for opportunities to abuse / berate Thai immigration officials. His opening abusive line is always 'speak to me in English / why can't you speak English'.

Stuff happens everywhere.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Yesterday I extended my 60-day visa at the Jaeng Wathana or whatever the transliteration is.

It was fastest I have ever had anything done there, I was in and out within an hour. They were smiley and nice.

Not to contradict the original post, just sayin'

yes that true, thailand does have the rudest immigration officer in the world! Maybe its the uniform, maybe its the power they have over tourists.

In the others hand, i have been many times to north america, and i found the immigration courteous and professional!

But you should feel really lucky, because if you know how they theat Burmese, Cambodian...

You have got to be joking ......Thailands IO's are not even close to being the rudest (and most aggressive) in the world....Thai IO's are pussy cats compared to some I have come across in other countries, the ones that spring time mind for me...(in addtion to be rude and agressive) extorted for cash in the "open" by one immigration guy in in the airport in a certain African country, had a "cross" pen "stolen" by one another in an other country, (borrowed my pen to sign my passport and the "gentleman" wouldnt give it back w00t.gif

No.. Thailand immigration guys may not be the most professional and need to improve "customer services" but certainly not the rudest, the most polite and most professional in the region IMHO are in Singapore.

The US ones are professional, but far too "stern" and maybe a bit too "hollywood".

Can happen anywhere. I originnaly came over on double entry tourist visa and due to Cambodia stamping over stamp in mypassport I overstayed 2 days. Girl at ChangWattena siad she realied the problem go next both pay 1000 aht then would get 7 day extension to go out and get Tourist or non-o since I told her I wa s retiring here. When I paid the overstay the girl said go to laos and come back with Non-o then have it extended by reason of retirement. I said can I just go to laos get tourist visa then convert to non -o? Sh e said loudly get out do what I told you. The girl in other booth said come back with either tourist or non-o Visa and with at least 15 days left they could get me extension. Said don't go back to her come to my desk smile.png

I have a totally positive experience over several times in Phuket, the people there ALWAS have been nice and helpful never even one negative event. The problem is only with the Russian Tsunami since several years now everything get totally overrun and that creates tensions. I think thats the real reason behind all this new regulations, they simply cant cope with it anymore. E.g. until about 2 years ago the Ranong immigration handled about 200 foreigners every day on visa run. About 4 month ago there where about 700, about 70% Russians, as usual they didnt think the whole through when they waived the visa for the Russians, now they cant handle it anymore and also as usual blame the other.

You get rude immigration officers all over the world. Some of the rudest I've met are in USA.

I've been through immigration of over 60 countries, and twice I'd have to give the rudeness award to Canadian immigration officers.

Similar experience...Thai guy at info desk...I ask which forms I need to complete my transaction...he did not even look up...just sat there staring into space...this went on for about 15 mins...then a lady left her desk...came over and helped me...when I came back with my paperwork...had to receive a approval to que up to see an immigration officer...this same guy...took my paperwork without acknowledging my presence...then gave it back to me...and told me which area I need to go near and wait...I noticed everyone was receiving numbers to see the officers...went back to desk and ask about my number...was given a number...by then several people had been given numbers ahead of me...

I truly detest going to immigration...seems to always be a hassle...although there have been some polite people working there...