Why Thai put up their windshield wiper when their car is parked ?

Digitalnomade

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do the same in the middle east. Also after a car wash, the Indian guy always puts them up, guess that means "done" as well.

I had to change out my wiper blades yesterday and I think they were only 1 year old. Wife said she got the best ones available @ 100 Baht. Just not worth the hassle putting them up and down.

The wipers will stick to the glass because of the heat.Common Sense.Perhaps the Thais have more common sense than westerners!!

Willing to wager that if you ran a poll on it 0% of drivers here on TV have had this happen.

Perhaps it only happens to Thais.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I will take that wager

If think if you ran a poll I would agree with you the number would be very low indeed, but mainly because the vast majority of respondents on TV dont have a car, and I dont think Honda waves have windscreen wipers...wink.png

Typo correction, before the English Nazis get me, as its Friday and think schools close early...whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

The wipers will stick to the glass because of the heat.Common Sense.Perhaps the Thais have more common sense than westerners!!

Willing to wager that if you ran a poll on it 0% of drivers here on TV have had this happen.

I will take that wager

If think if you ran a pole I would agree with you the number would be very low indeed, but mainly because the vast majority of respondents on TV dont have a car, and I dont think Honda waves have windscreen wipers...wink.png

Or Baht Buses.

Having lived in tropical parts of the USA I can assure you they do it there also.

Although I think there are very few tropical areas in the USA (mainly Hawaii?), I do agree that some desert areas are mighty hot and very dry.

A large part of the USA is subtropical with South Florida being tropical. The Gulf and South Atlantic states have a subtropical climate with mostly mild, but variable, winters and hot, humid summers. The entire Florida peninsula, and coastal cities like Houston, New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston, have average July highs from 90 to the lower 90s, and lows generally from 70 to 75 degrees.

The Mojave Desert – the hottest desert in North America, located primarily in southeastern California.

The Chihuahuan Desert – the largest desert in North America, located in the Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico

I have a revolutionary new invention that completely negates this problem. It's called a garage.!

On a more serious note have you seen the way many Thais place water filled bottles in from of objects like care tires? Apparently this prevents cats and dogs from urinating there. How this is supposed to work is beyond me, but next time my drunken neighbor falls down in the soi I will test the theory out and see if he smells any less pungent in the morning

Having lived in tropical parts of the USA I can assure you they do it there also.

Although I think there are very few tropical areas in the USA (mainly Hawaii?), I do agree that some desert areas are mighty hot and very dry.

A large part of the USA is subtropical with South Florida being tropical. The Gulf and South Atlantic states have a subtropical climate with mostly mild, but variable, winters and hot, humid summers. The entire Florida peninsula, and coastal cities like Houston, New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston, have average July highs from 90 to the lower 90s, and lows generally from 70 to 75 degrees.

The Mojave Desert – the hottest desert in North America, located primarily in southeastern California.

The Chihuahuan Desert – the largest desert in North America, located in the Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico

Havent you just married ?..... so why you sitting on here giving us "greatest nation on earth" factoids ?...she locked you out the bed room already, waiting for the Vigara to kick in ?

As a gentle reminder to out colonial cousins...Why Thai put up their windshield wipers ?

Not geography lesson on he continential US, unless of course Thailand is in Alabama...wink.png

I have a revolutionary new invention that completely negates this problem. It's called a garage.!

On a more serious note have you seen the way many Thais place water filled bottles in from of objects like care tires? Apparently this prevents cats and dogs from urinating there. How this is supposed to work is beyond me, but next time my drunken neighbor falls down in the soi I will test the theory out and see if he smells any less pungent in the morning

How this is supposed to work is beyond me

Easy you pick up the filled bottle and beat the cat or dog p*ssing on your tires over the head with it till unconcious, the bottles are placed close to the objects so they are close at hand thats all...

Not hot enough to melt rubber.

Temperatures on valley floors can soar above 120 °F (49 °C) and above 130 °F (54 °C) at the lowest elevations. It sticks to the windshield and leaves a black line and sometimes when you try and manually move the wiper the blade comes apart.

• Like 1

I used to live in South Texas and it happened to me a few times there also in Key West.

Presumably your tyres that are also made from rubber meted into the road surface too? How hot is it in S Texas, the melting point of rubber is around 180 degrees Celcius.

nice try Marie Curie, but vulcanised rubber doesnt have a melting point, it just falls to bits above a certain temperature, of if you would like the technical term, it called decomposition... its a "polymer" wink.png

back to chemistry class 101 for you..thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Vulcanised rubber does not melt...thumbsup.gif

Ok so we can conclude that this is a global phenomenon in hot , tropical countries and not only in Thailand. Some people do it and some don't. Anything else ?

I suspect this phenomenon is more prevelant in cold countries as your wipers can freeze to your windscreen and if you dont unfreeze them, pulling them will tear all the rubber off...biggrin.png

• Like 1

...or wreck the wiper mechanism instead...

but anyhows, again, IMHO the habit is a good one, as it reduces the risk of scratched glass being wiped by overnight etc built-up dirt on wiper blades on that first dirty sweep

Edited by tifino

I will take that wager

If think if you ran a poll I would agree with you the number would be very low indeed, but mainly because the vast majority of respondents on TV dont have a car, and I dont think Honda waves have windscreen wipers...wink.png

Typo correction, before the English Nazis get me, as its Friday and think schools close early...whistling.gif

did you read my reply, I said "drivers". Ok I will expand. Meaning people who drive automobiles. ;)

I don't know, been here a decade and a half, never seen a farang putting up his wiper blades nor have I ever had to remove mine from a stuck windscreen. Must be lucky! lol

Then again, I never seen any farangs wandering around with their T-shirts half pulled up to expose their bellies in the hot season. Maybe it's just a Texas Thai thingy haha.

did you read my reply, I said "drivers". Ok I will expand. Meaning people who drive automobiles. wink.png

I don't know, been here a decade and a half, never seen a farang putting up his wiper blades nor have I ever had to remove mine from a stuck windscreen. Must be lucky! lol

Then again, I never seen any farangs wandering around with their T-shirts half pulled up to expose their bellies in the hot season. Maybe it's just a Texas Thai thingy haha.

Half I think would be better.

post-187908-0-46071400-1409919045_thumb.

• Like 1

Why don't they use roof racks? Why do they tie green plastic bottles to their bumpers? Why do they double park during rush hour when there is a parking space 10 meters away? Why do they leave their crash helmets on the handle bars when its raining? Why, why why.

Why do you ask so many questions?

I used to live in South Texas and it happened to me a few times there also in Key West.

Must be those cheap made in USA wipers lol

Yes, but at least all of our cars come equipped with automatic windshield wiper risers. Shut the key off and the wipers automatically raise up off the windshield glass. You peons have to get out and do it yourselves. tongue.png

Yes, but at least all of our cars come equipped with automatic windshield wiper risers. Shut the key off and the wipers automatically raise up off the windshield glass. You peons have to get out and do it yourselves. tongue.png

You serious?

I never would have guessed.

If you don't, you'll be replacing the wipers every few weeks.

mine are the originals from 3 years ago never lifted them off the screen once and its out in boiling sun daily
I've had the same broom for 23 years.

Looked after it we'll though, it's had 12 new handles & 26 new broom heads.

It's just how us farang roll.

If you don't, you'll be replacing the wipers every few weeks.

mine are the originals from 3 years ago never lifted them off the screen once and its out in boiling sun daily
I've had the same broom for 23 years.

Looked after it we'll though, it's had 12 new handles & 26 new broom heads.

It's just how us farang roll.