Comedian Joan Rivers dies aged 81

webfact

I used to really love her - saying outrageous things in the name of comedy is one thing.

But her hateful comments about Palestinians showed that she was actually evil.

Much like Jimmy Saville, who while making millions happy, was an evil pedophile.

Im sure Joan, Jimmy and Ariel Sharon will be sharing a dungeon somewhere in hell

I really do wish she was still alive to watch her tear you a new you know what for heckling her on an internet forum! She loved to diss hecklers!

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plastic Surgeons panic to re-mortgage their houses as news hits that Joan Rivers has died....................wub.png

Joan Collins is also 81. If both of these ladies were to pass on, plastic surgeons might face a full blown economic panic.

Joan Collins?

Talk about CAMP icons!

Edited by Jingthing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

well that is probably why I had never heard of her, two different teams.

That's ridiculous.

no, seriously I had never heard of her. Not on Australian T.V

Same Same, I only knew of her existence about a year ago when she was on some show I saw in a motel with Gene Simmons from Kiss and Trump... she ruined the show IMHO. Just a loud mouth.

Oz

It could be she just wasn't big in Australia for some reason.

My impression beyond her obvious great fame in the U.S. and Canada, is that she was also very famous in the U.K.

Also in general, probably less famous among younger people than older people.

She was 81 after all and her career had many phases.

Edited by Jingthing

Karma for her remarks on the Gazans did her in.

Karma for her remarks on the Gazans did her in.

Yeah being 81 had nothing to do with it. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

But she should have lived much longer. If she wasn't so interested in doing plastic surgery she could have lived well into her 90s.

Thats what killed her. She was in good health before the surgery .

But she should have lived much longer. If she wasn't so interested in doing plastic surgery she could have lived well into her 90s.

You have access to her intimate medical records? I thought not.

More on why so many gay men loved Joan Rivers (and other "divas").

Jewish humor, gay men’s camp humor, Rivers’ distinct brand of humor – all of these take the suffering of the underdog and mine it for jokes. It’s not that suffering is a laughing matter, exactly; it’s that laughter is often the only way not to cry.

Finally, there is a very specific reason why gay men loved Joan Rivers: because Joan Rivers loved gay men.

“My gay fans have been wonderful from day one,” Rivers recently told the gay newspaper The Advocate. “I remember when I was working at the Duplex in Greenwich Village in New York at the beginning of my career and the only ones who would laugh at my jokes were the gay guys… Maybe it’s just me and I know they’re going to laugh at what I’d laugh at, but when my gays are in the audience it’s always a good time.”

http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thinking/205217/the-very-jewish-reasons-why-gay-men-loved-joan-riv/

• Like 1

She was great at what she did for her many followers. Her politics. IMO. shouldn't take anything away from that. She certainly made me laugh many times.

Thought she was a revolting specimen at the best of times, her vile attitude to some people just compounded it.

No loss at all.

• Like 2

She was the female put-down artist of her time, which was a comedy style made famous by Don Rickles and it worked famously for him. Other contemporary comediennes of her time included Phyllis Diller and Carol Burnett. Of course, the incomparable Lucille Ball was a bit older I think.

I think it was JT on this thread who compared her to Sarah Silverman (or rather said Sarah fashioned herself after Joan). I don't see that as I think Sarah is very talented and funny, and only slightly insulting at times. If we think of other current comediennes who are very successful, they include Chelsea Handler (also can be abrasive and insulting), Ellen Degeneres (endearing) and of course comedic actresses such as Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

It's interesting to note that the attractive ones such as Handler, Julia, and Lucy could get away with anything. The ugly ducklings such as Diller and Joan Rivers seem to bring out the dislike if they are also insulting in their humor.

No, but its a fact that older people are more at risk if they have to go through a surgery . A cosmetic or other unecessary procedures at that age will increase your chances for complications. My dad was going to die anyway but was given one chance to have a surgery and he took it because there was a small hope for him but unfortunately he died at the operating table. From my understanding Joan Rivers minor surgery was not necessary.

She was the female put-down artist of her time, which was a comedy style made famous by Don Rickles and it worked famously for him. Other contemporary comediennes of her time included Phyllis Diller and Carol Burnett. Of course, the incomparable Lucille Ball was a bit older I think.

I think it was JT on this thread who compared her to Sarah Silverman (or rather said Sarah fashioned herself after Joan). I don't see that as I think Sarah is very talented and funny, and only slightly insulting at times. If we think of other current comediennes who are very successful, they include Chelsea Handler (also can be abrasive and insulting), Ellen Degeneres (endearing) and of course comedic actresses such as Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

It's interesting to note that the attractive ones such as Handler, Julia, and Lucy could get away with anything. The ugly ducklings such as Diller and Joan Rivers seem to bring out the dislike if they are also insulting in their humor.

Well that's debatable but I don't really care enough to debate it.

In any case, I totally love Sarah Silverman! Catch her "Diva" song, rhymes with bunt. wub.png

http://www.youtube.com/sarahsilverman

Edgy Lady Comics Live!

http://www.icelebz.com/gossips/top_10_reasons_joan_rivers_is_a_badass_/

Joan Opened Up the Comedy Game for Women!

Joan Rivers’ style of comedy is similar to Sarah Silverman’s raunchy, snarky randomness. Joan’s style can be seen in Kathy Griffin’s unrestrained honesty!

These women’s comedy wouldn’t have been so well received had it not been for Joan Rivers revolutionary laying of the groundwork.

Edited by Jingthing

No, but its a fact that older people are more at risk if they have to go through a surgery . A cosmetic or other unecessary procedures at that age will increase your chances for complications. My dad was going to die anyway but was given one chance to have a surgery and he took it because there was a small hope for him but unfortunately he died at the operating table. From my understanding Joan Rivers minor surgery was not necessary.

I don't think anyone can really say. Longevity depends on a lot of factors. This lady NEEDED to keep working ... obviously not for money anymore. She was driven to work until the last day she could. It's impossible to imagine the Joan Rivers that was Joan Rivers without the plastic surgery and I also can't imagine she would have worked nearly as long without it. The plastic look became a big part of the act, and her persona. Joan Rivers as a typical granny wouldn't have cut it.

Heeb Magazine describes this as possibly the definitive Joan Rivers profile.

JOAN OF SNARK

post-37101-0-85403800-1410037687_thumb.j

http://heebmagazine.com/joan-of-snark-2/1105

Yet for Rivers, to stay inappropriate is to stay alive. As her surviving contemporaries settle into quaint, classy routines confined by the standards of decades past, Rivers plunges forward with fearless abandon. The joy in watching her is not simply encountering a dirty old lady, but a performer who’s infinitely nastier than a younger artist could ever hope to be. There are wittier comedians, filthier comedians, more outrageous comedians and smoother comedians, but who has Joan’s callous bite? Who else could yell at a roomful of hissing yentas, “Boo, boo, boo, you know it’s true!” after informing them—years before Ann Coulter made waves with an unfunny version of the statement—that the widows of September 11th are the luckiest girls in New York? And what would you rather have, “Six million dollars, or a man lying next to you in bed farting with a big fat stomach and his balls hanging out?”

Not sure everyone knows this, but her gay fan base had a special connection towards the iconic Joan Rivers:

I was living in San Francisco in the 80s when Joan appeared on an award show (I think) and made a remark about a gay couple in the audience who was in a hurry to get back to SF to eat at Burger Queen. That remark became popular, and "Burger Queen" references kept on for months.

I think that in the (native) English-speaking world there are certain types of comedy that may not play well outside their countries of origin. The insulting, up-in-yer-face style of Joan and Don Rickles probably doesn't play well outside the US; I recently saw a tribute to Don Rickles and in the audience was Sting and Elvis Costello sitting together, and I had the impression they didn't even know who he was. "Are You Being Served?" was sort of a hit with the PBS crowd in the US, but would never have survived on a network, nor would any British-style comedy with clever word play. Fawlty Towers was one of my faves back when, but none of my friends cared for it.

Not sure everyone knows this, but her gay fan base had a special connection towards the iconic Joan Rivers:

I was living in San Francisco in the 80s when Joan appeared on an award show (I think) and made a remark about a gay couple in the audience who was in a hurry to get back to SF to eat at Burger Queen. That remark became popular, and "Burger Queen" references kept on for months.

I think that in the (native) English-speaking world there are certain types of comedy that may not play well outside their countries of origin. The insulting, up-in-yer-face style of Joan and Don Rickles probably doesn't play well outside the US; I recently saw a tribute to Don Rickles and in the audience was Sting and Elvis Costello sitting together, and I had the impression they didn't even know who he was. "Are You Being Served?" was sort of a hit with the PBS crowd in the US, but would never have survived on a network, nor would any British-style comedy with clever word play. Fawlty Towers was one of my faves back when, but none of my friends cared for it.

For some reason Joan Rivers gets compared to Don Rickles a lot. I don't see it. Rickles is unoriginal and unfunny in my view.

• Like 1

Heeb Magazine describes this as possibly the definitive Joan Rivers profile.

JOAN OF SNARK

attachicon.gifshot_1_jpg.jpg

http://heebmagazine.com/joan-of-snark-2/1105

Yet for Rivers, to stay inappropriate is to stay alive. As her surviving contemporaries settle into quaint, classy routines confined by the standards of decades past, Rivers plunges forward with fearless abandon. The joy in watching her is not simply encountering a dirty old lady, but a performer who’s infinitely nastier than a younger artist could ever hope to be. There are wittier comedians, filthier comedians, more outrageous comedians and smoother comedians, but who has Joan’s callous bite? Who else could yell at a roomful of hissing yentas, “Boo, boo, boo, you know it’s true!” after informing them—years before Ann Coulter made waves with an unfunny version of the statement—that the widows of September 11th are the luckiest girls in New York? And what would you rather have, “Six million dollars, or a man lying next to you in bed farting with a big fat stomach and his balls hanging out?”

It's a funny thing, humour. Most people could not have made that "widows of 9/11 are the luckiest girls" remark and stayed in the public eye.

Imagine if I had made the remark on this forum!!! Banned for life maybe, lol.

For some reason Joan Rivers gets compared to Don Rickles a lot. I don't see it. Rickles is unoriginal and unfunny in my view.

I think that calling her a female version of Rickles doesn't begin to tell the whole picture. The edgy material she used (the 9-11 example) isn't Rickles-like. Insulting personal people in the audience isn't the same thing. Also the feminist angle, of course not Rickles. Rickles was no man diva.

I'm not knocking Rickles. He was the man with that style of insult humor.

Edited by Jingthing

It's a funny thing, humour. Most people could not have made that "widows of 9/11 are the luckiest girls" remark and stayed in the public eye.

Imagine if I had made the remark on this forum!!! Banned for life maybe, lol.

Well, it did offend a lot of people ... and lots of other things she said ... but she grew to not care. Also with spoken comedy you have her "look" which was so funny/absurd in itself, her comic timing, her tone of voice. You can't do that in written form on a forum. So I don't see them as really comparable. So there.

Edited by Jingthing

I always thought she was great, and I am not gay.

Peggy Noonan wrote a good article on her in the WSJ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 5, 2014
Joan Rivers: The Entertainer
There was nobody like her. Some people are knockoffs or imitations of other, stronger, more vivid figures, but there was never another Joan Rivers before her or while she lived. She was a seriously wonderful, self-invented woman.
She was completely open and immediately accessible. She had the warmth of a person who found others keenly and genuinely interesting. It was also the warmth of a person with no boundaries: She wanted to know everything about you and would tell you a great deal about herself, right away. She had no edit function, which in part allowed her gift. She would tell you what she thought. She loved to shock, not only an audience but a friend. I think from the beginning life startled her, and she enjoyed startling you. You only asked her advice or opinion if you wanted an honest reply.
  • Like 1