Is bike theft a big thing in Chiang Mai?

LaPeste

So your talking about a bicycle......hahaha I thought a motorcycle....I wouldn't even pay 10 grand and your saying some cost 250 grand....without a engine..???

I bet my Huffy from Walmart will do what those do.....60 bucks usd....took me to Khon Kaen and back many times over the years 60k round trip

If you think 250,000 is too much how about over 1 million baht ?w00t.gif

http://jalopnik.com/5929551/this-aston-martin-bicycle-costs-39000

Toys for the same crowd that love Rolex watches. Bling bling -- look! I'm rich! bah.gif

Sorry about your loss

I dont bother to lock my bike up most of the time and havnt had a prob, ive looked out from a shop window and seen people walk over and right it after it's fallen over/knocked over, i deliberately keep it looking like a pos, dont clean it at all ect, just keep the gears and chain oiled

• Like 1

That sucks. You should also post on the TV cycling forum in case it might be spotted in Bkk or elsewhere. If it was a random, opportunistic act by a thief who doesn't know bikes, he might ride it or try to sell it in town, unaware how unusual the USPS team livery is, and it could turn up.

Bike theft is common in any city really. It's easy to forget that Chiang Mai is not a small town where everyone knows each other but a city with a large and constantly changing population, and a lot of unsavory characters.

Anyway, whether your bike costs 1k, 10k, or 100k, having it stolen really stings.

Sometimes the good guy wins. About 3 years ago my Santa Cruz mountain bike was stolen in front of a restaurant in seattle. Loved that bike and was really upset. I put an ad on craigslist with picture and brief explanation of it being stolen. Next day I got a call from a kid who saw the ad, saying "hey dude, have you checked out craigslist today, the bike this dealer is advertising sure looks like yours." Well, it was mine, as the thief stole it from me and sold to a dealer in another part of town. Detectives told me they were behind on burglaries and other bigger crimes and wouldn't be able to go by for about a week. So I decided to go get it. I parked my car on the next block and walked into the dealer and asked to try out bikes. Third bike I took was mine and I never returned it. Called the dealer and told them why I took it but they were still mad. I'm sure they knew because they were selling it for USD$200 and worth USD$1,500. Had the bike 12 years now, and still riding it today but use bigger locks. I did have my seat stolen so now I also use a seat lock. Damn I hate thiefs!

Interesting/Enlightening/Depressing? that we are all from mid-Calif......SF area......

What is even more interesting is I don't come from San Francisco but I was born there.

As for Bike theft I agree with ulyssis G as he has many years of experience here in Chiang Mai. I am quite sure their have been some stolen as well as motor bikes autos and trucks. But the bikes I have to go with the man who has the experience as I have never heard of one stolen here. Lots back where I come from. You could place your order for what you wanted and have it in three days.

So your talking about a bicycle......hahaha I thought a motorcycle....I wouldn't even pay 10 grand and your saying some cost 250 grand....without a engine..???

I bet my Huffy from Walmart will do what those do.....60 bucks usd....took me to Khon Kaen and back many times over the years 60k round trip

Darn they only made 77 of them. I was numberm78 I liked the idea of the computer telling me how much energy II was using in my left leg.tongue.png

i was most impressed by the chiang mai police in the handling of the situation and they seemed genuinly concerned that i get my bike back.

unfortunatly the only real witness is not saying anything, the dog that lies outside 7/11.

Out of view from the 7-11 CCTV cam that all of them have facing the door?

Did you look around any surrounding buildings to see if they have a CCTV camera? Sometimes a cam across the street or next door can pick up a crime. Worth checking into.

Nice to hear of a bike recovery, and that is very surprising. I have had two friends get bikes stolen in the middle of the day, both locked. One was in a market with the owner 40 feet away, and the other one was in front of a Mexican restaurant on Huay Gaew Road with the owner eating inside. Bike theft happens fast here so be wary. Also knew a CMU professor that had two bikes stolen in one year, so it happens up on the campus as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_0062.JPG

This is the bike that was stolen.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Jerry's bike in my travels around the city. Sorry to hear he lost it.

I've got a 10K + bike. I always lock it to something solid unless it's in physical proximity to me. They're just too easy to steal even if you lock the front or back tire to the frame. Too easy to pick up, throw into a car or truck, and cut the lock off later at your leisure. But that's just me. The lock I use isn't going to stop someone with motivation and a pair of bolt cutter, but it will keep honest people honest. lol

I don't know how often Jerry or Lapest login to thai visa but let him know I have sent a message to Lapest detailing where the bike can be collected.

http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Locks-Standard-Granit-Plus/dp/B001U885MQ/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1410385694&sr=1-14&keywords=abus+lock

There is no thief-proof lock on the market. I am considering making one made out of diamond.... LOL. Anyhow, I have a feeling this lock would require much more time than others. Expensive, yes. But I think it's worth it.

My bike in CM was worth $2,000 USD new ($700 used likely, since 3 years old)....and they say spend 15% on a lock. If you really like your bike, I say spend the few hundred.

True Buddhists do not steal!!!! So I am sure that rider was not going to the temple.....that is even a greater crime!!!!!! note sarcasm.

http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Locks-Standard-Granit-Plus/dp/B001U885MQ/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1410385694&sr=1-14&keywords=abus+lock

There is no thief-proof lock on the market. I am considering making one made out of diamond.... LOL. Anyhow, I have a feeling this lock would require much more time than others. Expensive, yes. But I think it's worth it.

My bike in CM was worth $2,000 USD new ($700 used likely, since 3 years old)....and they say spend 15% on a lock. If you really like your bike, I say spend the few hundred.

True Buddhists do not steal!!!! So I am sure that rider was not going to the temple.....that is even a greater crime!!!!!! note sarcasm.

They say those can be defeated with a hydraulic tire/car jack.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Toys for the same crowd that love Rolex watches. Bling bling -- look! I'm rich! bah.gif

Not at all. First of all do you race seriously? Do you ride say 700k a week? Do you want something efficient and with a good fit. I ride every day and have ridden and raced for the past 54 years. I think I know bikes. If you love bikes as I do, then you'll want something nice, reliable, efficient, comfortable and so on. If you are riding around the shops or the Moo Baan then a s/hand Japanese bike with shopping basket for 2500 bikes is just the job. Horses for courses. Rich people's toys? I tell you what: Bikes, often an inappropriate size and style, are big bling in BKK. You see these guys with full time trial bikes, gingerly taking them out of their BMWs and riding at 9kph around the green path at Suvanbhuni. So there's some truth in the blig accusation, but on the other hand people who say they can do thousands of miles on a 10k bike: Up to them. I wouldn't want to.

my baby's come back home! my stolen bike has been returned.

many thanks to cnxbkkman, i have sent you a p.m. and also to ted (of tiger teds coffee shop, next to maya plaza, check it out) who was the thai who phoned the cops.

and called me to say the bike was now at the police station.

i have lots of photos of me and all my new mates from the c.m.p.d.and my recovered bike.

i was always confident that i would get it back.

thanks to jeff for lending me a bike in the mean time.

apologies for not replying sooner.

i dont have a p.c. at home at the moment and also had personal issue to deal with.

keep an eye on your bikes or whatever when you leave them unattended,

happy cycling,

jerry.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...