I've had it!

WonnabeBiker

While I regard teaching a rewarding experience and can handle the lack of professionalism at government schools... There is now a point at which I want to quit. Seeking grener pastures.

This isn't my first job. but this level of indifference is shocking.

The IT Dept. is 10 yards away from the classroom where the PC is infected with nasty viruses. Yeah, they promised to fix that (and it won't cost anything and not take a lot of time either. they have last year students from the local university who work for free).

Moreover, the school has it's own van and driver. But admin tells me to go about collecting the WP and then heading to Immigration "alone". Every other foreigner was driven door to door. And while this isn't a huge obstacle, the question arises when I'll stop taking it. >20 lesson plans a week vs just 2 for the colleagues.

When I was hired, the school lied about a 12 months' contract.

While I might manage to get a driver to take me to the town which is about an hour away, I realize this is a fight I cannot possibly win.

To allow them to find a replacement, I sent an e-mail to HR, giving notice. That was weeks ago. They say they want me to stay. But action speaks louder than words. And now the (unexpectly unpaid) holidays are coming up. Good luck finding someone who will do all this work for 25 grand!

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I've heard plenty of horror stories about these kinds of things before. And if done long enough I could easily see someone saying "stuff this"

However, I do believe that they represent the minority of cases, not the majority. But we hear about the minority cases far more often than the majority positive ones.

That's my take on it. It doesn't mean to condone it, but just to give it some perspective.

I think it all boils down to the relative hop you have with your school and more importantly, the key staff.

I've been lucky; my experiences have been excellent. Not without bumps along the way, but largely I have no doubts that the university and my departments director are on "my side"

Are there better places to teach? Is say yes- but I do think that this is dependent on what you value or how you define better.

I'm at the University level in a specialized English program and the one thing that keeps me coming back is my students.

I get to see them finish my program and get their certification and them get the job they dreamt about .. That for me is my "priceless" and why I'm willing to put up with some "crap" along the way.

But I do think that some basic teacher "logistics" planning and better communication, by both school and teacher, could go a long way in reducing or proactively avoiding problems.

• Like 2

Two words: Saudi Arabia coffee1.gif

I thought Saudi only considered applications for married couples, both of whom are qualified to teach.

International schools there might be more rewarding, certainly financially, but teaching Saudi nationals after teaching in Thailand could be an even greater shock.

I taught national students at the tertiary level in the UAE and for the most part enjoyed it, both financially and working with the students, but knew of a fair number of people trying to work at various levels who packed it in before their contracts ended and the accepted wisdom was that the UAE was better than other Gulf States in terms of behavior and "motivation" of students.

And in all cases of student - teacher issues, institutions will invariably side with students, although admittedly the compensation perks and teaching facilities that I experienced made it all easier to cope.

Edited by Suradit69

Why 20 lesson plans a week? You teach 20 different lessons with no repeats?? And why do your colleagues only do two?

25K isn't much, but seems typical for up country schools. I can tell you schools are allocated a LOT more than this, for foreign teachers, by the government. Salaries haven't changed much in these schools for 15 years. I was getting that in 2000 - but no lesson plans, no grading, not even a curriculum, and no books! It seems the more 'organised' the school get, the more paper work there is. I wouldn't do my current job for 25K, not in a million years. Living costs have skyrocketed ut salaries haven't changed much. Greener pastures means going overseas, or to a big international school here.

• Like 2

Teachers that have multiple subjects have by greatest respect. We have a subject, Health Education. It is one time per week and covers grades 1 - 6 (at one school it also includes G. 7). That's 7 different lesson plans and exams. Then add a couple of more subjects and grades and you have a very difficult schedule.

• Like 2

I completely understand the OP, after teaching here in northeast for 10 years. But even here in the Isaan are greener pastures.

I'd sent you a private message, as i do know school who hire now and directly. A bigger city in the Isaan, 12 months contract.At least 5 K more.

"Be a biker" was a good one. I was the one at my former school who fixed five computers and maintained them for 3.5 years, besides teaching, holding seminars, hiring foreign teachers, etc.....

And if I have to see the labor department on my own, I'm more than happy to have the day off.

Best of luck and don't give up that easy.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

I imagine those 25 lesson plans a week are quietly filed away somewhere and only dusted off when an inspector calls.

You could earn more doing private work; you'd just need to figure out the visa/WP situation.

Hope things work out; don't think it's a battle worth fighting - they won't care if you stay or go as there'll be someone else willing to do the job.

• Like 1

i just had such a day, where I really wanted to walk out and forget all about that sad teaching envirnonment.

My day had started with an hour of gate duty, in the hot sun, still having a flu.

Then five hours grade one students, two of them was math for the EP program, we're trying to set up.

The school computer, brand new with a Windows 8 copy on it, stopped working, then the new brother printer as well.

Kids were so noisy that i couldn't understand my own word. Vocabulary, I've taught for quite a few moons seemed to be forgotten by most of them.

The usual fried rice for lunch was not even worth to look at. Spent my free time fixing the computer and the printer.

Then a visit to our financial department. Nope, won't get the cash for my work permit and visa reimbursed. Excuse me, what about my social security, I'm waiting for such a long time now?

"Oh, the director is always so busy, sorry. Jang."

Wannabebiker, there're days where most of us do have a hard time understanding what's going on around us. If I were you, I'd take my money for October,but look for a new job before, then quit.

It's similar to life, all the ups and downs. Now I'm back to normal....whatever that means.

One of these nights, one of these crazy old nights......

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Actually most of the schools are extremely exploitative - both private and govt - teachers are usually employed OUTSIDE the normal laws governing workers right here in Thailand, salary limitations, sick pay etc are all avoidable by employees.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

Working in a Thai Government school really should be the last resort.

The general level of incompetence by the management is truly shocking, with far too much reliance on the excuse of 'cultural differences' to excuse bad decisions or outright lies and deceit.

Of course, there are also good schools out there, but still they usually only hire foreign teachers for commercial reasons.

And whilst there is a constant influx of willing victims, the situation will not improve.

OP, get out of a Government school at your earliest chance. And if a career is important, getting out of Thailand will be a good move.

• Like 1

Just say, "No." smile.png You'll be happier. Green pastures grow in other countries. The problems with the Thai educational system are endemic. Neither you or I will fix them, but we can choose not to participate. The problems may eventually be addressed when Thailand can no longer keep abreast of other countries competing in the global economy. I'm not holding my breath. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I am sorry my friend but you are not alone. The treatment of foreign teachers is appalling all over Thailand. My gf is a Filipino and if you think yo get treated poorly, they get it 10 times worse. Again due to Thai arrogance and that it what you are up against, plus corruption at the senior level of the school.

My gf works at a Government school and does 22 face to face lessons many of which are forcarrr'gifted' students and an extra challenge.

lifts dont work, classrooms leak, no cirriculum text books , lack of respect and communication to staff, arrogance and stand over tactics, nave been part of the system for eternity. Scamming money off the top to buy cars for directors etc. the choice is yours.

'

• Like 2

What sort of education system passes utter failures and then expects students to get better?

Saudi Arabia. I was teaching adults there for two years and except for the pay, the situation was exactly the same. The funniest part was that we ex-pats were being quality assessed by Pakistanis (Muslims) who wouldn't know which way was up.

• Like 1

My "friend" just quit teaching in Africa for an oil services company where he was making $560 a day for 28 days and then got the free flight back to Thailand for 28 off days.

He's almost 60 and wants to enjoy all the money he saved rather than continue the "rat race"

• Like 1

The administration is often frustrating, and many of the students will make you wonder why you bother....

But those kids who do listen and learn are what makes it all worthwhile :)

Just gotta find a school where the administration isn't too bad, where you can build a good working relationship with the other staff (And then hope thato you don't run into problems when the director changes every 5 years lol).

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I've heard plenty of horror stories about these kinds of things before. And if done long enough I could easily see someone saying "stuff this"

However, I do believe that they represent the minority of cases, not the majority. But we hear about the minority cases far more often than the majority positive ones.

That's my take on it. It doesn't mean to condone it, but just to give it some perspective.

I think it all boils down to the relative hop you have with your school and more importantly, the key staff.

I've been lucky; my experiences have been excellent. Not without bumps along the way, but largely I have no doubts that the university and my departments director are on "my side"

Are there better places to teach? Is say yes- but I do think that this is dependent on what you value or how you define better.

I'm at the University level in a specialized English program and the one thing that keeps me coming back is my students.

I get to see them finish my program and get their certification and them get the job they dreamt about .. That for me is my "priceless" and why I'm willing to put up with some "crap" along the way.

But I do think that some basic teacher "logistics" planning and better communication, by both school and teacher, could go a long way in reducing or proactively avoiding problems.

The "only" smooth operating curriculums, I've ever seen in Thailand, are those totally controlled & managed by either a Westerner, or a Philippine nationalcoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

I'm living here in this area now for 12 years and even having some difficulties sometimes regarding the whole visa and work permit situation, troubles that can arise at school,etc it's still worth to live here.

But reading the OP's post again, I couldn't survive on 25 K, with family and car.

I don't need to drive a Mercedes Benz, nor do I need my own swimming pool. Just in my opinion, it's the way of life here that makes the big difference.

We don't have our own house, but we live quite a good life. No cold winters, able to communicate with locals does change a lot. Also at school.

I had a job lined up for the OP, but he didn't even answer my message. It's the way you see things. Do you want to be a biker, or be one?

I'm a biker and don't see all as complicated as some people here describe.

Who the Fluck gives a flying kangaroo about computers with viruses, or that the school van didn't take you to the labor and Immigration?

After such a long time working there, it's pretty easy to find a suitable Antivirus program, without blaming others for not doing what they supposed to do.

How should students who work there for free know much about computers and Anti virus programs?

I've met "teachers" here, who worked for MC Donald's in three shifts,, carpenters,electricians,etc but once in Thailand they acted like VIPs.

And it wasn't anybody else than yourself who'd signed the contract that wasn't for 12 months.

Why would you quit your job right before the midterm break, as you'd get paid through October and then change school.

Is it possible that it's not just the school that's pissing you off? Then it's time to go back where you came from. Good luck!!

You took the words right out of my mouth. Seems the OP just wants someone to feel sorry for him, sorry mate, not me. If your such a good teacher, check out sites for teaching overseas, as one TV said, oil companies hire teachers all over the world in locations where they are drilling for oil. It is part of all oil and gas exploration companies proposals to provide education not only for locals but for employees children. Saudi Aramco, ENI, Shell, etc. do a little digging you will find a whole new world of teaching positions, or just sit there pissin an moaning how bad you have it. BOO HOO

I have currently, 3 expat English teachers here in lets just say, "the Middle East", they are on $675 per day, 28/28 rotation, business class flights, full medical, etc.

• Like 1

I know how you feel. I packed in teaching two months ago and I'm heading back to England for a year to get some cash together and come back to start my own company.

All of the contracts I've ever signed break Thai Labour laws but I acted dumb until I needed a get out clause and then pulled up the relevant laws to show my contract was invalid.

Considering the shortage of teachers, the vast majority of schools still think they can get away with too many teaching hours, low pay and zero benefits. It's time for them to wake up, as it is for n00bs coming over thinking teaching is a doddle. I'd advise everyone against coming to teach in Thailand. Yes, I'm a pessimist but too many schools have tried to take advantage of me and the students on the whole are useless as they know they'll get a Grade 1 from the director if you fail them. What sort of education system passes utter failures and then expects students to get better?

US schools do. It's SOP here.

Hi,

I work in a private school, prepare all my lessons on my PC/Printer at home, take them and my own creative teaching aids, including my own whiteboard pens in a bag and bring them home with me.

The owner who spent 15 years in SoCal looks in but understands very little and knows for sure he cannot duplicate what I do.

My style never stops changing and i can "wing it" if needs require.

The money is c..p, the school provides only students and an aircon building with signs outside,

BUT the kids and adults are all keen and great fun.