Taxi Pickpocket gang

maccraw

When I got hit by a similar gang, maybe the same gang, I had a strong impression that the baht bus driver was in on it!

I tried to get his help to call the police, but instead he took a weird turn and detour to an area where my life was probably in danger.

So yes they get caught sometimes, but imagine how many times they DON'T get caught.

Edited by Jingthing

They didnt actually get anything from me this time--I did talk briefly to the taxi driver about it but he just smiled and .of course there wasnt much to be done. I did give a warning to the remaining farang on board to watch his pockets and that was it--apart from the gang members shouting at me--not fond farewells as far as my limited Thai could make out.

• Like 2

Best thing to do if one of a gang like this sits next to you is either move or get off the bus. They got me totally sober in broad daylight and yes I was on guard. I caught them in the act but they are like magicians in moving the items to another in their gang.

• Like 1

When it happened to me before I just felt sick and a bit helpless--this time I did get off early but the unpleasant feelings were right there .As you say its a difficult situation and almost impossible to prove anything --and your word against a number of them .Your advice to leave as soon as you suspect any thing is right.

Four years ago my daughter, son-in-law and two grand children came on holiday for the first time. He was done on a baht bus and it completely ruined their holiday. I felt so guilty and ashamed as I had lived here several years, but because I lived on the dark side and never used baht buses normally, I was not street savvy when about four Thai women clambered on and were all 'cootchy cootchy' with my grand daughter. That was just the distraction of course whilst the pickpocket took place.

So, instead of a nice family meal on beach road, the evening was spent phoning up banks and credit card issuers etc.

We boarded the bus at the top of soi 2 second road as I left the car in Big C car park.

I'm afraid the impression of Thailand on my family can be imagined. We reported it to the cops but it was a waste of time and, as I recall, my daughter was livid that she had to pay (100 bht I think) for the privilege of reporting it.

• Like 1

Yes, they got me too about 5 years ago. And a friend of mine was aware of them operating on a taxi a few weeks ago.

The MO is the same ..4-5 girls get on together..sometimes a couple with a baby too. That’s where your stolen wallet is ..under the baby. They usually have bags on their laps and want to sit unusually close to you. Sometimes one will drop a coin or try to engage you in conversation to distract you.

Alarm bells should ring immediately. Put your hand on your wallet and don’t let go. Try to alert others. I saved a couple of Indian tourists last year.

They operate all over Pattaya and Jomtien...especially market days along Soi Bukhao.

There could be a motorcycle rider who trails the baht taxi and signals girls ahead that there’s a mark on board.

It could be a worthwhile job for some of the farang police volunteers to act as decoys on market days with marked notes and police backup nearby.

Thanks for the heads up.

Let your buddies know.

The first time it happened to me,a few years ago, one of the gang was ,or appeared to be ,very pregnant.She ,at the behest of other gang members caused me to move seats and into the trap.Afterwards I did wonder if the pregnancy was real or not and guessed not. I also once saw a gang with young kids as part of the team helping with the distraction.

They didnt actually get anything from me this time--I did talk briefly to the taxi driver about it but he just smiled and .of course there wasnt much to be done. I did give a warning to the remaining farang on board to watch his pockets and that was it--apart from the gang members shouting at me--not fond farewells as far as my limited Thai could make out.

what did they say ?