British Embassy Incompetancy.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your telling this because........

If one had checked the website or called first, then one would know what one should do.... Bitching and moaning wont help!! Ones friend not have a computer. May I suggest the Acer ONE....

Yawn......

It's a matter of losing face or, in this case, having " a friend " who lost face at the hands of those conniving Thai staff at the embassy.

Just how arrogant can the staff (Thai) be at the Bangkok Embassy.

Notice how the rules and the procedure, inadequate though they may be, are set by the British Embassy/ Government, but of course it's Thais who are to blame for Khun Farang flying into Bangkok without checking to see what he should do.

• Like 1

I attended an expat briefing in 2013. BKK Embassy Consular Services is one of the busiest in the world. Can't remember the details, but one number that did stick in my mind was the assistance provided in 24 sexual assault cases for British nationals in Thailand during 2012. Much of their work is not reported, whilst there maybe some valid critism in individual cases, blanket condemnation is unfair.

• Like 2

Whoever told your friend to jump on a plane and go to the embassy in BKK is the one to blame. There is a huge post regarding replacement passports and how to do it here on TV. The Thai staff at the embassy are probably sick of angry Farangs turning up there demanding a new passport immediately. Sorry sorry.gif

He should go to the police first. With that the paper the police gives him he doesn't have a problem when he can't show his passport.

The embassy need the police report too and can't help you without it. That fact that your friend buys a plane ticket but doesn't

bother to check the embassy's website is his own fault and not the embassy's staff.

And of course like you everyone just has to be computer savvy and in fact own one. Many i know do not have a computer and openly admit, they would'nt even know how to turn one on. facepalm.gif

The link @ post 9 was published regionally and nationally online and in print. Relying on 'a bloke in a pub' in the 21st century is frankly asking for exactly the sort of prob outlined in your OP.

• Like 1

Whoever told your friend to jump on a plane and go to the embassy in BKK is the one to blame. There is a huge post regarding replacement passports and how to do it here on TV. The Thai staff at the embassy are probably sick of angry Farangs turning up there demanding a new passport immediately. Sorry sorry.gif

Get it right! NO one told him to jump a plane, he was just a worried old man. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

He was not demanding another passport, just wanted to report the lost one and get advice. w00t.gif

• Like 1

The Swiss Embassy is almost opposite the UK Embassy. I have twice seen people outside the UK Embassy looking distraught, it may be just a matter of time until somebody attempts suicide. The Swiss Embassy probably is expensive as far as fees go but I have always been happy to be able to go there unannounced and get the job done on the same day. I decided not to renew my UK passport years ago.

• Like 1

Get it right! NO one told him to jump a plane, he was just a worried old man. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Jumped on a plane is an expression not an actual fact. change that to booked an early flight and shuffled slowly onto the plane. Far from knowing everything I tend to check things before I act when I don't know, which is often that is why TV is helpful, Sometimes

Maybe he is just miffed at wasting his time and money wink.png

When I needed to replace my passport I was told various ways but through TV and the embassy website I found out the right way to do it.

He should go to the police first. With that the paper the police gives him he doesn't have a problem when he can't show his passport.

The embassy need the police report too and can't help you without it. That fact that your friend buys a plane ticket but doesn't

bother to check the embassy's website is his own fault and not the embassy's staff.

And of course like you everyone just has to be computer savvy and in fact own one. Many i know do not have a computer and openly admit, they would'nt even know how to turn one on. facepalm.gif

I have an Aussie mate like that. At 76 he has never had one and never wants one.

I on the other hand am 70 and I have been using computers since my Sinclair Spectrum back in the dark days in 1982 when using a computer WAS hard work and long before the internet existed and mobile phones were only in science fiction movies.

I help him out quite often.

Bangkok embassies are getting very heavy traffic, constantly tourists/expats showing up who have all kinds of troubles. Showing up at the Dutch embassy in the afternoon, Thai security staff will also tell you to come back the next morning.

Once I got very prompt and friendly service walking into the Dutch embassy in Kinshasha (Congo) without an appointment, you couldn't expect this at a post like Bangkok.

My mother is 89 and knows how. No excuse for not wanting to learn.

• Like 2