British Embassy Incompetancy.

Doesn't surprise me Mr. I was stuck in Moscow 35 years ago. My booking out of Moscow was given away to some delegation and I was told that there were no available seats to Bangladesh (where I was going) for 6 months. When I phoned up the British Embassy, they were not bothered at all and did nothing. My visa for Russia had run out by this time and I must say that I was treated better by the Russians than the British Embassy. My husband of German nationality then phoned up his embassy and immediately something was done.

Don't rely on the British Embassy for anything, they don't care about their citizens!

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why the British embassy bothers to open. Don't do Visas to the uk , Don't do British passports , they have just turned into a Notary , a Money Making Notary at that

Embassy staff do have other functions than consular ones!

Don't get me wrong, I feel the Embassy staff lets down the British people with their poor support in Bangkok. I often felt they were desperately keeping their old school guys in Hong Kong justified, which of course isn't even a country nor the capitol of one, while ignoring Thailand's needs.

I had a great experience with our embassy in Hong Kong, a middling experience in Dubai and a lousy experience in Cambodia (where they can't even supply the phone number of the passport collection place in Phnom Penh). This passports from the UK lark is stupid; it puts people at risk of breaking the law (expired visas, etc.) and of being stuck somewhere if civil war etc. should break out. But expats don't and often can't vote. So they don't care.

The best embassy experience I have ever had was the Chinese embassy in London; if our embassies were half as good we could be proud of them again. Embassies only exist to serve the interests of big business now; the little guy can get ****ed.

Listen, this is something that I do not understand at all; an Embassy not looking after their citizens? Between having to make "appointments" in advance (making one having to plan ahead just in case something happens and therefore become a clairvoyant) it is just nut! I know that this is not really a unique British issue, it does seem that there are enough concerns being posted here for someone at the UK Home Office to sit up and pay attention.

But I am an American and I feel that I have to tell you what my embassy and consulate does here in Thailand on behalf of their passport holders when those citizens find themselves in difficulty. This happened to someone I have known for 8 years. First, she is British. Second, she is married to an American (no not me) and was still on her UK Passport (her US Green Card was at the hotel). Fourth, she lives in Singapore with her husband. Fifth, she was on a quick holiday with her sister (in from the UK) in Thailand. But this is what happened: she was pulled off a Moto Taxi in BKK by a gang member by pulling at her backpack and sending her to the tarmac near China Town. They pulled the back pack off and sped off with all of her credit cards (minus 2 left behind at her hotel) and her UK passport, etc.

Wounded and in pain and with Thai Police there looking on doing nothing except helping her off the road, and after calling me at home (around 2pm) and me getting to her and her sister, we went to the UK Embassy where she was simply told to leave Thailand, and was given a cup of tea! No medical assistance, no help at all really. So in tears we called her husband (an teacher is Singapore). He and I called the US Embassy in BKK and within an hour, 2 US Marines (in plain clothes) showed up in an car at the restaurant we had taken refuge in. They took all of us to the US Embassy where she was seen by the MO given medical assistance for the cuts and scrapes she had. They even called the UK Embassy and reported the incident and even arranged for her UK Passport to be reported as stolen and a replacement arranged for (she would have to pick it up, which she did, a few days later). The US even issued her a letter explaining what had happened and number to call if she had any trouble before her passport was processed by the UK! They then arranged for us to get back to her hotel and made sure that all information was given to her husband. They could do nothing about the credit cards, but did give her local toll free numbers for them as well as a letter so that she could report their theft in case they needed one.

The fact that the US did this for someone only married to an American seemed to me a bit over the top. But I was there I saw it all happen. Now maybe, and I am only guessing here that me being an American and one that does not sit around just following orders or preset protocols but has a tendency to ask "Why" in loud voice might have had something to do with it and maybe if she had been more forceful with her UK representatives she would have managed to goose them enough to get something other than a cup of tea out of them. Now, I hear that the Australian Embassy will do all that they have to and can for their passport holders in much the same way as the US. So it is not just an American thing. So come on UK embassy... what do you think you are here for? What can be more important than helping you passport holders? Or are 'we' more concerned about what is going on in Calais right now to give a fig?

Oddly as an American with previous dealings with the British embassy (and no I cannot elaborate) I have found over the last 20 years that they are MORE helpful then the americans (just my experience)

Really? That is not the case at all. Maybe if you could "elaborate" what you said would make sense. But as it is the US embassy is FAR MORE helpful.

Whoever told your friend to jump on a plane and go to the embassy in BKK is the one to blame. There is a huge post regarding replacement passports and how to do it here on TV. The Thai staff at the embassy are probably sick of angry Farangs turning up there demanding a new passport immediately. Sorry sorry.gif

Get it right! NO one told him to jump a plane, he was just a worried old man. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

He was not demanding another passport, just wanted to report the lost one and get advice. w00t.gif

Did he sort out his problem, by the way I lost my passport a few years ago and the police were very helpful filling out the report, if you friend is as infirm as he sounds maybe time for him to head back to blighty where they can hold his hand

I had a great experience with our embassy in Hong Kong, a middling experience in Dubai and a lousy experience in Cambodia (where they can't even supply the phone number of the passport collection place in Phnom Penh). This passports from the UK lark is stupid; it puts people at risk of breaking the law (expired visas, etc.) and of being stuck somewhere if civil war etc. should break out. But expats don't and often can't vote. So they don't care.

They do (and can) vote in UK elections if they've moved away within the last 15 years. For example I've just re-registered to vote in the constituency where I lived prior to moving out to LOS 6 years ago in protest at the generally shabby treatment we Brit expats here receive at the hands of the UK government. Fortunately I still have a trusted mate of mine living in that constituency who will act as my proxy (which is the only practical way of casting one's vote from Thailand).

Not that my vote will, in practice, count for anything in next year's General Election, but I will hopefully feel a whole lot better for having been able to cast it.

He should go to the police first. With that the paper the police gives him he doesn't have a problem when he can't show his passport.

The embassy need the police report too and can't help you without it. That fact that your friend buys a plane ticket but doesn't

bother to check the embassy's website is his own fault and not the embassy's staff.

Get your head out of your own ar@@! British embassy is the worst in the world for helping their own citizens and when they do help they charge an arm and a bloody leg.

If you behave like this everywhere i can fully understand they won't help you.

I was doing my affirmation to marry last week , there must have 20 or 30 people doing the same , or getting documents notarized , not bad money at 3k a pop. Didn't see one Farang behind the counter in the hour I was there. I'm sorry but its a piss take

• Like 1

They do (and can) vote in UK elections if they've moved away within the last 15 years. For example I've just re-registered to vote in the constituency where I lived prior to moving out to LOS 6 years ago in protest at the generally shabby treatment we Brit expats here receive at the hands of the UK government. Fortunately I still have a trusted mate of mine living in that constituency who will act as my proxy (which is the only practical way of casting one's vote from Thailand).

Not that my vote will, in practice, count for anything in next year's General Election, but I will hopefully feel a whole lot better for having been able to cast it.

I also re-registered my vote this year at Taunton Deane in Somersrt with my friend as my proxy voter.

I will be voting UKIP and attempting to get the lazy inneficient Jeremy Browne (with an e) Lib Dem stamped as not wanted.

It's 10 years not 15. And in general they don't vote even if they can. I have a friend who spends a lot of time with the ambassador to a country in Indochina; when he asked why the passport fiasco was disproportionately affecting expats he was told; "Because they don't vote." Doesn't get much clearer than that does it?

I've nothing to vote FOR in the UK and voting AGAINST doesn't thrill me in the slightest. I want a party that takes a common sense, scientific approach to issues where possible and seeks fairness in income distribution and societal benefits. None of the parties stand for anything like this. I don't want to vote for racists (BNP, EDL, UKIP, etc.), I don't want to vote for the wealthy (Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems), I want to vote for something that might just make the UK a better place to be. There are no options for this and no, I don't have the several million pounds required to start a party and cough up the deposit on 600+ seats around the nation either.

If i was him, i would have certainly gone to the Police to report it, but most of us are wondering what the Embassy is doing up there.

I would also make a complaint to the UK Ombudsman in writing , the more complaints at that level may in the long run change things.

Wishful thinking on my behalf.

He should go to the police first. With that the paper the police gives him he doesn't have a problem when he can't show his passport.

The embassy need the police report too and can't help you without it. That fact that your friend buys a plane ticket but doesn't

bother to check the embassy's website is his own fault and not the embassy's staff.

Yes, true, if you know a bit about how things work in Thailand he should get a Police report done first, but that's not what common sense tells you.

Sounds to me like unhelpful little girls sitting in the front security room....... Did he actually get into the Embassy or just get turned away at the front security? I actually have noticed an improvement in the counter service staff INSIDE the Embassy over the years, but perhaps I've just been lucky recently.

To be honest, I don't really see why the Embassy "NEED" a police report. The loss of the passport is entirely the business of the loser, and the British government. The police report should be used during the interim period while waiting for a new passport, but IMHO it SHOULD NOT hold up the process, nor be required for a replacement passport application. What reason do they give for NEEDING it? Issueing a replacement passport, even a temporary document has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Thai Police!

Now a report to the Thai Immigration Department, that would make a little more sense, considering that its the lost Visa which is what should be the concern of the Thai officials, but STILL not a requirement for the British Government to issue a replacement passport to help its troubled citizen overseas.....

Edited by cyborgx

My poor ol mate Mr Gary had the same treatment until he started yelling. Had a kid with a Thai bird who didn't want the child immediately went to the British embassy to get the child a passport, given lip service by Thai staff then yelled "Gimme someone who speaks English". "I speak English" said the Thai "No! gimmie a Brit". A Brit came and issue was sorted.

Why on earth are Thai staff even working at the British Embassy. The whole place should be staffed 99% by Brits as I am sure its funded by UK not Thailand.

Very well said! The answer to your question is the same as the reason for outsourcing the whole passport service. Cost. Thai staff are cheaper. Third parties will provide a cheap service staffed by little trained or untrained staff. Read what I say carefully, this is in no way a slight on Thai staff, just the fact that an Embassy's staff dealing with a countries own citizens abroad should be WELL TRAINED natives of that country. If local staff are used, they should only be used to deal with locals visiting the Embassy for visas etc., and for ASSISTING the main Embassy staff with language issues and interpreting where necessary.

My degree of sympathy for the person who experienced this depends on how long he has been traveling. The inexperienced British traveler is very often under the delusion that British Embassy/Consulate staff are there to assist British travelers in trouble. 100 years ago, when foreign travel was generally a luxury for the elite, this was actually true, and someone turning up to report a lost passport would certainly have received assistance. If the person is, indeed, inexperienced then he made a natural mistake, and I feel very sorry for him. He just assumed they would want to help. If he had ever had any contact with a British Embassy before, he should have known better, but he still has my sympathy to some extent.

Yes, read the British travel writers from seventy, eighty or ninety years ago - Peter Fleming, Somerset Maugham, Freya Stark, Wilfred Thesiger and so on - and you will remark several things - how accommodating was the diplomatic representation towards travellers in those days, sometimes entertaining them socially; how monied the latter were, to be able to spend months and years wandering the Earth in the days when it cost comparatively far more than today; how socially homogenous they were with the diplomatic class.

Those days are long gone, and travel has become for everyman and everywoman, and for better or worse it has meant that now everything is weighed, calculated and formulated.

And they call it progress...... Would Phileas Fogg have gone to the Police or the Embassy? Hhhhmmmmnnnnn..... I know where my money would be placed.

My brother became an American and joined their foreign service where he has done consular work. He is staggered when I tell about the practices in the consular section of the British Embassy in Bangkok. The Americans don't hire any local staff to provide consular services or approve visas because they regard that as a conflict of interests. Local staff are hired to liaise with the host country officials but not to interface with US nationals or visa applicants. Americans have to pass a serious level exam in Thai before they come to the US Embassy in Bangkok, so they don't need Thai staff to interview visa applicants. In contrast the British Embassy is absolute cheapskate as you can get. I haven't seen a Brit working in the consular section for years and all the vice-consuls seem to be Thais, although I am sure they still have one British consul at the embassy. I have sometimes asked for things that were too complicated for the Thai vice-consuls to comprehend and the result is either that they refuse rudely to deal with it and bang the window shut or I eventually get a call from a British consul about a week later. There is one particularly revolting old Thai hag there who is about as thick as two short planks and equally aggressive.

Even most of the Brits who work at the embassy, like the ones who occasionally visit British prisoners or deal with dead bodies, or even the ones in charge of security are not part of the FCO. They are just unemployed English teachers and the like who are willing to work cheap for B30,000 a month. The whole thing is absolutely pathetic and a disgrace. If they were even slightly effective at promoting trade and investment, which is all HM Government now thinks is important, it wouldn't be quite so bad.

Apart for the old hag you mention (not met her, but have met similar in other Embassies), I couldn't have said it better myself thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Listen, this is something that I do not understand at all; an Embassy not looking after their citizens? Between having to make "appointments" in advance (making one having to plan ahead just in case something happens and therefore become a clairvoyant) it is just nut! I know that this is not really a unique British issue, it does seem that there are enough concerns being posted here for someone at the UK Home Office to sit up and pay attention.

But I am an American and I feel that I have to tell you what my embassy and consulate does here in Thailand on behalf of their passport holders when those citizens find themselves in difficulty. This happened to someone I have known for 8 years. First, she is British. Second, she is married to an American (no not me) and was still on her UK Passport (her US Green Card was at the hotel). Fourth, she lives in Singapore with her husband. Fifth, she was on a quick holiday with her sister (in from the UK) in Thailand. But this is what happened: she was pulled off a Moto Taxi in BKK by a gang member by pulling at her backpack and sending her to the tarmac near China Town. They pulled the back pack off and sped off with all of her credit cards (minus 2 left behind at her hotel) and her UK passport, etc.

Wounded and in pain and with Thai Police there looking on doing nothing except helping her off the road, and after calling me at home (around 2pm) and me getting to her and her sister, we went to the UK Embassy where she was simply told to leave Thailand, and was given a cup of tea! No medical assistance, no help at all really. So in tears we called her husband (an teacher is Singapore). He and I called the US Embassy in BKK and within an hour, 2 US Marines (in plain clothes) showed up in an car at the restaurant we had taken refuge in. They took all of us to the US Embassy where she was seen by the MO given medical assistance for the cuts and scrapes she had. They even called the UK Embassy and reported the incident and even arranged for her UK Passport to be reported as stolen and a replacement arranged for (she would have to pick it up, which she did, a few days later). The US even issued her a letter explaining what had happened and number to call if she had any trouble before her passport was processed by the UK! They then arranged for us to get back to her hotel and made sure that all information was given to her husband. They could do nothing about the credit cards, but did give her local toll free numbers for them as well as a letter so that she could report their theft in case they needed one.

The fact that the US did this for someone only married to an American seemed to me a bit over the top. But I was there I saw it all happen. Now maybe, and I am only guessing here that me being an American and one that does not sit around just following orders or preset protocols but has a tendency to ask "Why" in loud voice might have had something to do with it and maybe if she had been more forceful with her UK representatives she would have managed to goose them enough to get something other than a cup of tea out of them. Now, I hear that the Australian Embassy will do all that they have to and can for their passport holders in much the same way as the US. So it is not just an American thing. So come on UK embassy... what do you think you are here for? What can be more important than helping you passport holders? Or are 'we' more concerned about what is going on in Calais right now to give a fig?

Great story, totally believable. Let's all apply to become American's, the grass is definitely greener!

Frivolity aside, it definitely sounds from this and other posts here that other countries, and in particular the US have much better staffed, mannered, funded, trained and organized Embassies than the British here. Says it all really...... Even the Scottish think they are better off alone (not that I think that split is a good thing...).

IMHO the old image of "Great" Britain, and the previous sub-par reputation of the East, have now just about reversed roles. It's the East that over the last 20 years have started churning out quality goods, and slowly learning the value of good service, and the West, in particular the UK are getting the bad reputation, and frankly in a lot if cases deservedly so...

It's 10 years not 15. And in general they don't vote even if they can. I have a friend who spends a lot of time with the ambassador to a country in Indochina; when he asked why the passport fiasco was disproportionately affecting expats he was told; "Because they don't vote." Doesn't get much clearer than that does it?

I've nothing to vote FOR in the UK and voting AGAINST doesn't thrill me in the slightest. I want a party that takes a common sense, scientific approach to issues where possible and seeks fairness in income distribution and societal benefits. None of the parties stand for anything like this. I don't want to vote for racists (BNP, EDL, UKIP, etc.), I don't want to vote for the wealthy (Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems), I want to vote for something that might just make the UK a better place to be. There are no options for this and no, I don't have the several million pounds required to start a party and cough up the deposit on 600+ seats around the nation either.

It's definitely 15 years according to https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

One conspicuous omission from your "party" list are the Greens. Do you think that they might make the UK a better place to live?

I was doing my affirmation to marry last week , there must have 20 or 30 people doing the same , or getting documents notarized , not bad money at 3k a pop. Didn't see one Farang behind the counter in the hour I was there. I'm sorry but its a piss take

Yes, if we ignore the over-paid and under-worked Ambassador's cost (free luxury accommodation for him and his wife, servants, free travel and very nice salary), I am guessing that along with the nice annual accrual of the Embassy property value, the place makes a tidy little profit! How can it not with all the ridiculously high service fees it charges for a few minutes actual work ?

Most of us know about how seriously some of the previous Ambassadors took their responsibilities (not), is the current one any better? I've not met him, but it appears NOT again to me......

If i was him, i would have certainly gone to the Police to report it, but most of us are wondering what the Embassy is doing up there.

I would also make a complaint to the UK Ombudsman in writing , the more complaints at that level may in the long run change things.

Wishful thinking on my behalf.

Totally agree, if you are going to complain and winge, at least do it formally as well as bending everyone's ear.

Perhaps posting the address of the Ombudsman here might be a good idea.

Well I went to the embassy today to get my letter with regards to income for a visa. The staff person I met was friendly and helpful.

And when I went back for the 2nd time to collect the letter there was a guy in front of me in his 80's didn't have a clue when he first came to Thailand or his passport or any Visa, the Thai lady spent 20 minutes sorting him out, no problem. Sadly I think the British subject from India wasn't quite so impressed because the Thai lady behind the counter couldn't tell her the telephone code for India. How rude not knowing that.

I find it amusing that someone here mentions that the East is passing the West when it comes to customer relations, and suggests we should learn from them.

Whilst at the same time slags of the British embassy for employing Thai staff....Irony always was my favorite form of wit.

In the end treat people with respect and decency, you will be amazed how far it gets you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, if we ignore the over-paid and under-worked Ambassador's cost (free luxury accommodation for him and his wife, servants, free travel and very nice salary), I am guessing that along with the nice annual accrual of the Embassy property value, the place makes a tidy little profit! How can it not with all the ridiculously high service fees it charges for a few minutes actual work ?

Most of us know about how seriously some of the previous Ambassadors took their responsibilities (not), is the current one any better? I've not met him, but it appears NOT again to me......

Its embarrassing isnt it , The Thai embassy in London its not luxurious but its in a decent area and a nice building. While us Brits in Bangkok have to go to what looks like an early 80s dole office in Sheffield

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its embarrassing isnt it , The Thai embassy in London its not luxurious but its in a decent area and a nice building. While us Brits in Bangkok have to go to what looks like an early 80s dole office in Sheffield

A five minute walk from the BST. Would you prefer some nice new building in the middle of nowhere that cost a fortune to get too ??

The things people find to moan about.

• Like 1

A five minute walk from the BST. Would you prefer some nice new building in the middle of nowhere that cost a fortune to get too ??

The things people find to moan about.

The passport and visa office is arranged inside like a social security office , a few dog ends on the floor and it would be perfect. And I'll moan as much as I like mate

• Like 2

Feel free to moan.

I'm glad you prefer the journey to central London where you are unable to park and either have a 15 minute walk from the underground, or a 5 quid 2 minute taxi ride.

Must admit I prefer the dole office design to the 15-20 seats in a 20 square meter space as per the London office.

But each to their own I guess. You must have got sick of the sight of dole offices whilst the rest of us were working.

Feel free to moan.

I'm glad you prefer the journey to central London where you are unable to park and either have a 15 minute walk from the underground, or a 5 quid 2 minute taxi ride.

Must admit I prefer the dole office design to the 15-20 seats in a 20 square meter space as per the London office.

But each to their own I guess. You must have got sick of the sight of dole offices whilst the rest of us were working.

Ohh ark at Her , calm yourself darling , Time of the month?

• Like 2

Decent area? The first thing to greet me as I surfaced from the underground en route to the Thai Embassy was a woman wearing a tent who thrust a metal cup in my direction while continuing a conversation in Pashtun & not even having the decency to look me in the eye.

Edited by evadgib

Decent area? The first thing to greet me as I surfaced from the underground en route to the Thai Embassy was a woman wearing a tent who thrust a metal cup in my direction while continuing a conversation in Pashtun & not even having the decency to look me in the eye.

Compared to where I come from , Grovesnor Road and South Ken are pretty decent

Edited by Sena Dave
  • Like 1