British Embassy Incompetancy.

Due to the crazy world we live in it is a sad fact that nowadays we have to book an appointment most dentists and doctors also require that you book an appointment why should an embassy be any different. Your friend should have reported his passport missing to the Samui Tourist police and contacted the British consulate on the island for advice before wasting his money on a trip to the Embassy.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always had good service from the Embassy, be it with translations to information about visas in the old days through to passport applications.

I also was surprised at the amount of help a friend of mine received when he was in the IDC, the Embassy contacted his family in the UK, kept me informed about his situation and even were there when he left the IDC to be transported to the airplane.

If people first read the procedures it would help

Due to the crazy world we live in it is a sad fact that nowadays we have to book an appointment most dentists and doctors also require that you book an appointment why should an embassy be any different. Your friend should have reported his passport missing to the Samui Tourist police and contacted the British consulate on the island for advice before wasting his money on a trip to the Embassy.

isnt hindsight a wonderful thing.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

He should go to the police first. With that the paper the police gives him he doesn't have a problem when he can't show his passport.

The embassy need the police report too and can't help you without it. That fact that your friend buys a plane ticket but doesn't

bother to check the embassy's website is his own fault and not the embassy's staff.

And of course like you everyone just has to be computer savvy and in fact own one. Many i know do not have a computer and openly admit, they would'nt even know how to turn one on. facepalm.gif

Then expect life to be and to become much tougher for them.

I am unsure why being a luddite and being unable to master simple skillsets is considered some kind of virtue or a reasonable excuse.

My poor ol mate Mr Gary had the same treatment until he started yelling. Had a kid with a Thai bird who didn't want the child immediately went to the British embassy to get the child a passport, given lip service by Thai staff then yelled "Gimme someone who speaks English". "I speak English" said the Thai "No! gimmie a Brit". A Brit came and issue was sorted.

Why on earth are Thai staff even working at the British Embassy. The whole place should be staffed 99% by Brits as I am sure its funded by UK not Thailand.

• Like 2

Only problem is there ain't one!

• Like 1

My poor ol mate Mr Gary had the same treatment until he started yelling. Had a kid with a Thai bird who didn't want the child immediately went to the British embassy to get the child a passport, given lip service by Thai staff then yelled "Gimme someone who speaks English". "I speak English" said the Thai "No! gimmie a Brit". A Brit came and issue was sorted.

Why on earth are Thai staff even working at the British Embassy. The whole place should be staffed 99% by Brits as I am sure its funded by UK not Thailand.

So does not "poor ol Mr Gary" own a computer then?

After the 18th Sept. it might just be the English Embassy.

In which case our Scottish "friends" will no longer have anywhere to go for their income confirmation letters, etc. Oh dear, how sad laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Not really.we are very adaptable.Done that once Thai immigration couldn't understand it,reverted back to money in the bank,problem solved.

My degree of sympathy for the person who experienced this depends on how long he has been traveling. The inexperienced British traveler is very often under the delusion that British Embassy/Consulate staff are there to assist British travelers in trouble. 100 years ago, when foreign travel was generally a luxury for the elite, this was actually true, and someone turning up to report a lost passport would certainly have received assistance. If the person is, indeed, inexperienced then he made a natural mistake, and I feel very sorry for him. He just assumed they would want to help. If he had ever had any contact with a British Embassy before, he should have known better, but he still has my sympathy to some extent.

Yes, read the British travel writers from seventy, eighty or ninety years ago - Peter Fleming, Somerset Maugham, Freya Stark, Wilfred Thesiger and so on - and you will remark several things - how accommodating was the diplomatic representation towards travellers in those days, sometimes entertaining them socially; how monied the latter were, to be able to spend months and years wandering the Earth in the days when it cost comparatively far more than today; how socially homogenous they were with the diplomatic class.

Those days are long gone, and travel has become for everyman and everywoman, and for better or worse it has meant that now everything is weighed, calculated and formulated.

Edited by asdecas

And the relevant website is https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports. By drilling down through the various options he would have eventually discovered that he shouldn't go to the Embassy but to the (arguably) incompetent fools at With-It Tower (aka the Trendy Building) instead!

... and then he needs to send an email to book an appointment first as well.

Embassy had passport renewal removed from their portfolio by HM Government late last year - job was given to the Home Office, aka HMPO who then subcontracted applications to an Indian Company in Bangkok run by Thais.

British subjects overseas are now, it appears, regarded by the British Government as being purely third class citizens at best.

Third class citizens? Things are looking up. If you want a letter confirming your pension income you will get it but only if you pay THB2,620. It is a standard letter from the British consular dept. which I would value at around THB100. The pension increases that you would get if you still lived in the UK are not available to you. Third Class Citizens? We are off the scale..........

• Like 1

Thais work cheaper.

My degree of sympathy for the person who experienced this depends on how long he has been traveling. The inexperienced British traveler is very often under the delusion that British Embassy/Consulate staff are there to assist British travelers in trouble. 100 years ago, when foreign travel was generally a luxury for the elite, this was actually true, and someone turning up to report a lost passport would certainly have received assistance. If the person is, indeed, inexperienced then he made a natural mistake, and I feel very sorry for him. He just assumed they would want to help. If he had ever had any contact with a British Embassy before, he should have known better, but he still has my sympathy to some extent.

Yes, read the British travel writers from seventy, eighty or ninety years ago - Peter Fleming, Somerset Maugham, Freya Stark, Wilfred Thesiger and so on - and you will remark several things - how accommodating was the diplomatic representation towards travellers in those days, sometimes entertaining them socially; how monied the latter were, to be able to spend months and years wandering the Earth in the days when it cost comparatively far more than today; how socially homogenous they were with the diplomatic class.

Those days are long gone, and travel has become for everyman and everywoman, and for better or worse it has meant that now everything is weighed, calculated and formulated.

Actually, travelling the world 100 years ago was far cheaper, but took a lot more time and personal effort.

Why do the Embassy's farm out the passport process. They mostly have lots of land around the embassy, at least Australia has in Bk. Why not have the passport deal on the embassy grounds.

Why farm it out to a private (maybe Dutch company) company. There must be dosh to be made if the private company can contract it and make a profit.

It seems quite senseless to not do Embassy work at the Embassy!

• Like 1

The Number 1 reason for an Embassy is to gain business for the home country and keep the local top brass happy - by PR, meetings, attendances...

A minor role is a consular section that deals with visas - if u lose your passport (you should have a separate copy of ALL documents) -

go to the police, make a report, follow procedure/advice (If you are with a travel package - your Rep) If independent and in an airport, ask an airline.

But stay CALM - people are much more approachable that way...

(No connection to Embassy - but travel experience)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'll give you a clue , its to do with saving a shed load of Money. Cheap labour basically the same as the Passport and Visa office

My brother became an American and joined their foreign service where he has done consular work. He is staggered when I tell about the practices in the consular section of the British Embassy in Bangkok. The Americans don't hire any local staff to provide consular services or approve visas because they regard that as a conflict of interests. Local staff are hired to liaise with the host country officials but not to interface with US nationals or visa applicants. Americans have to pass a serious level exam in Thai before they come to the US Embassy in Bangkok, so they don't need Thai staff to interview visa applicants. In contrast the British Embassy is absolute cheapskate as you can get. I haven't seen a Brit working in the consular section for years and all the vice-consuls seem to be Thais, although I am sure they still have one British consul at the embassy. I have sometimes asked for things that were too complicated for the Thai vice-consuls to comprehend and the result is either that they refuse rudely to deal with it and bang the window shut or I eventually get a call from a British consul about a week later. There is one particularly revolting old Thai hag there who is about as thick as two short planks and equally aggressive.

Even most of the Brits who work at the embassy, like the ones who occasionally visit British prisoners or deal with dead bodies, or even the ones in charge of security are not part of the FCO. They are just unemployed English teachers and the like who are willing to work cheap for B30,000 a month. The whole thing is absolutely pathetic and a disgrace. If they were even slightly effective at promoting trade and investment, which is all HM Government now thinks is important, it wouldn't be quite so bad.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

He should go to the police first. With that the paper the police gives him he doesn't have a problem when he can't show his passport.

The embassy need the police report too and can't help you without it. That fact that your friend buys a plane ticket but doesn't

bother to check the embassy's website is his own fault and not the embassy's staff.

Get your head out of your own ar@@! British embassy is the worst in the world for helping their own citizens and when they do help they charge an arm and a bloody leg.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Swiss Embassy is almost opposite the UK Embassy. I have twice seen people outside the UK Embassy looking distraught, it may be just a matter of time until somebody attempts suicide. The Swiss Embassy probably is expensive as far as fees go but I have always been happy to be able to go there unannounced and get the job done on the same day. I decided not to renew my UK passport years ago.

A UK citizen who is in trouble should have the right to turn up unannounced at a British Embassy and at the very least be advised on his best course of action. To refuse even to speak with him is outrageous. In the old days you could have called the embassy but staff are more expensive than websites so calling is now very difficult. Unfortunately costs now come before service.

• Like 2

When my father died and I had to make a visa for my Thai wife to go to England, I called the UK Embassy and told them of my situation. They told me if I had a copy of the death certificate, which I had, to go the next day, go to the front of the queue and give them my name, which I did. I was ushered through the gates and my wife's passport was stamped with a visa within 30 minutes. Great service, but I called them up first. Had I not called doubtless I would have been made to stand in line and treated the same as everyone else. Moral is call first and find out what you need to do.

Edited by NCFC

I don't know why the British embassy bothers to open. Don't do Visas to the uk , Don't do British passports , they have just turned into a Notary , a Money Making Notary at that

Ya i know ,you give them important papers they loose them then you don't need to worry again ,all your life has been lost ,should close the place down

I don't know why the British embassy bothers to open. Don't do Visas to the uk , Don't do British passports , they have just turned into a Notary , a Money Making Notary at that

Yes indeed. Their notary signed some British Court paperwork in the wrong place then made me pay again to have them sign in the correct place.

Robbing Hoods !

After the 18th Sept. it might just be the English Embassy.

In which case our Scottish "friends" will no longer have anywhere to go for their income confirmation letters, etc. Oh dear, how sad laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Not really.we are very adaptable.Done that once Thai immigration couldn't understand it,reverted back to money in the bank,problem solved.

Yep, you lot are renowned for your exceptional ability to accumulate money in the bank!

Third class citizens? Things are looking up. If you want a letter confirming your pension income you will get it but only if you pay THB2,620. It is a standard letter from the British consular dept. which I would value at around THB100. The pension increases that you would get if you still lived in the UK are not available to you. Third Class Citizens? We are off the scale..........

Indeed, if that and passport renewal hassles were not enough, we are now being threatened with the possibility of having our personal tax allowance withdrawn as well......

Edited by OJAS

FYI, embassy's in general need only be a phone box. After being robbed we were horrified at how little embassy's can actually do. Their role has changed tremendously in the last 10 yrs. as I said, a phone box with direct line would be all they needed, save their countries a fortune in expensive real estate & salaries around the world