Is it now required to complete a Thai Language Test to extend ED visa for the Second year?

My so called Thai language school called me and told me i need to leave Thailand to apply for the second year ED visa which i understand, but also the guy told me i had to take a new test in Thai (written and convertsation) because he says his school is register with the Thai Government or something.

Is he just telling lies as this school has many students that dont go to class?

Are they only covering their own backs by telling me now i have to do a exam to extend?

if they do require a test, dont you think this makes perfect sense, seeing as one has been issued the ed visa to study Thai ?

Why so suprised about a "Thai language test" you are suppose to be studying Thai..blink.png .

I am not surprized but TiT and when i started the course it was clear that most of the students dont even attend class and i ask them so if i miss class whats happens, they replied that as long as they know where the student is in Thailand it was ok. Wink Wink.

The school was more about getting people on visa etc. But now that has changed with the crackdown and all of a sudden their a "Real School" using their words.

All i want to know is this Test really required for everyone like they say?

if they do require a test, dont you think this makes perfect sense, seeing as one has been issued the ed visa to study Thai ?

Why so suprised about a "Thai language test" you are suppose to be studying Thai..blink.png .

I am not surprized but TiT and when i started the course it was clear that most of the students dont even attend class and i ask them so if i miss class whats happens, they replied that as long as they know where the student is in Thailand it was ok. Wink Wink.

The school was more about getting people on visa etc. But now that has changed with the crackdown and all of a sudden their a "Real School" using their words.

Love to know the school..........whistling.gif

I've done it and it's quite easy PROVIDING you attended all or most classes, as I did.

My school even prepped me with their own internal exam prior to MOE test.

Where did you go, did it cost anything? There are no details posted yet.

I've done it and it's quite easy PROVIDING you attended all or most classes, as I did.

My school even prepped me with their own internal exam prior to MOE test.

Good on you! Well done but if you only studied for 3 months @ 4 hrs a week would you have past it?

By the way, you will be able to extend for 90 days only at time - Bt 1,900, not one year.

So I started the course last december and i will extend the ED visa for the last 90 days of the one year visa.

I only have to do the test if i want to apply for the a second year visa, i dont have to do the Test to extend the last 90 days on my first year visa right?

I only have to do the test if i want to apply for the a second year visa, i dont have to do the Test to extend the last 90 days on my first year visa right?

I think that is the most likely. But since nothing appears to have been published officially, can't be sure either.

• Like 1

"My so called Thai language school called me and" - So now it is a 'so called language school', but when you signed up it was a visa mill (which you wanted) ? You made your choices, you decided to get an ED visa but 'forget' to study, so now you must face the consequences !

"Mai Phen Rai"

Maybe a strong case for all us Brits living in LOS to seek ED visas for learning the Thai language and passing the appropriate Ministry of Education test, so that we can then converse fluently with local staff in their native language at With-It Tower (aka the Trendy Building) at passport renewal time, and also at the Embassy!biggrin.png

If you study another language , like chinese, japanese or english , they will not ask you to do a test .

Genius idea! I always wanted to learn Muay Thai or Chinese, so next thing is to find a training center.

Thanks.

wai2.gifwai.gifwai2.gif

Edited by Maestro
Removed unintelligible part of the post.
  • Like 1

Maybe a strong case for all us Brits living in LOS to seek ED visas for learning the Thai language and passing the appropriate Ministry of Education test, so that we can then converse fluently with local staff in their native language at With-It Tower (aka the Trendy Building) at passport renewal time, and also at the Embassy!biggrin.png

Very few people who study Thai for one year will be able to speak Thai fluently. Very few. Almost zero I would say.

If you are a diligent student -- One year to get going with basic everyday conversation.

Two years to make yourself functional in most situations.

Minimum of 4-5 years to approach what could be called fluency.

This is based on my experience in studying 10 Asian languages over the last 50 years.

• Like 1

Hopefully the powers now in charge will put an end to the above in bold.

• Like 2

Very few people who study Thai for one year will be able to speak Thai fluently. Very few. Almost zero I would say.

If you are a diligent student -- One year to get going with basic everyday conversation.

This is based on my experience in studying 10 Asian languages over the last 50 years.

I have only been going to classes for 8 months, and I have to agree with you 100%. Most students in the U.S. study Spanish every school day for 2 years, and I have never seen one of them come out fluent in Spanish. It takes time, and a lot of study, to learn a new language.

Edited by stoli
  • Like 1

I doubt everyone will be tested, only those who have received an ED visa for learning Thai--should not be a problem for anyone using the visa legitimately, only those trying to circumvent the system and get a free ride should have a problem.

• Like 1

That should be a test a the Ministry of Education. Not difficult to pass.

Doesn't any test from the Ministry of Education come with a guaranteed pass? Many have told me there is no such thing as FAIL just a low pass.

Tell us more by pm.. Im all ears...

I see that you're a freshman at TV and would guess that you're also a freshman to Thailand. Have a look around some of the education threads and you'll see what I meant by my original comment.

I have only been going to classes for 8 months, and I have to agree with you 100%. Most students in the U.S. study Spanish every school day for 2 years, and I have never seen one of them come out fluent in Spanish. It takes time, and a lot of study, to learn a new language.

Better get my skates on then. Only 8.5 years to go before I next have to renew my passport!biggrin.png

On a more serious note, though, is studying for a foreign language OK on a retirement extension of stay (employment is, of course, most certainly not)? If I could avoid having to go down the ED visa route so much the better.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

But why is it okay for Thai students to go to school and not learn anything? They can graduate without actually studying or working but only relying on copying and cheating. When Thai students fail a test, they are fed the answers and then do the test again and again and again until they can finally recall enough of those answers they were given to get a passing grade. I suppose if they want to test foreigners who study here, at least approach the tests the same way as they do with Thai students.

WOW what a completely childish attempt at a comparision and justification, the key difference is dear boy Thai students are not blagging a visa out it

A lot of these language schools were never set up to educate anyone, but mearly exploited a loophole to provide long term visa's for people...

Isnt it reasonable to expect someone who has been given a visa to study Thai that after a certain period of time that the person has at least the basic's of the language ?

and therefore prove they have actually been studying the language in order to get another visa or an extension ?

Go on a student visa anywhere in the world and if your not turning up for classes, or not complying with requirements of your Student visa, expect your visa not to be renewed

I suppose next your going to suggest because Thai nationals can live in their own country without a visa, foreigners should be treated the same ?....grow up

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1